Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Shei-kun posted:

Buttrock is eternal.

If someone could turn all the music from Tails's levels in SA2 into a sedative, I'd never need caffeine again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah Chaos being a fish was a Sonic the Comic thing. In the actual game I think it was a mutated chao? There was a core of some sort in there.

The fish in StC did have a militaristic empire so I guess it fits in with that scene specifically though.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Delphisage posted:

If someone could turn all the music from Tails's levels in SA2 into a sedative, I'd never need caffeine again.

??????????????????

Did.. you mean to say "stimulant"?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Fedule posted:

??????????????????

Did.. you mean to say "stimulant"?

Darn it. Thanks for correcting me.

At least I didn't go with enema...

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Good news! It's a suppository.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

pointlessone posted:

Good news! It's a suppository.

They don't call it buttrock for nothing!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Tomoya Ohtani, penning some lyrics for a game with stages lifted wholesale from past games posted:

🎶 Why do I get this feeling of déjà vu?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I watched through your old LP of Generations not long ago and now it's very funny to see Nat contract boostitis

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I do like how the flashbacks are in the style of Sonic and Knuckles, and not in the modern in-game style. It helps with a sense of 'this is the past'.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

"Hey, Sonic. Remember when we were 2D?" "Yeah, man. Good times, good times."

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hey everyone, just a heads up, there's going to be a delay on the next few episodes/patreon sneak peeks because Yorkshire Tea is down with Covid. (Him feeling ill at the end of this video? Yeah that's not motion sickness)

I'm just fine and he's on the mend but definitely not in a place where he can safely visit to record or really record remotely on his end either.

In the meantime I'll be cooking up the finale to my Fire Emblem Path of Radiance blind ironman if you want to check out something incredibly dumb on the channel!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Here's to Tea Getting Through COVID Zone.

It's really weird to play through an actual entire stage like Sky Rail in Frontiers because as observed it's like three times as long as most other stages. Also, the red rings are a little incongruous because Sky Rail is way more open than most stages that have had red rings in them; it's not designed to be scoured for bullshit and it's not designed to have an obvious One Right Path where you always do all the things and it puts you on the high road where the stuff is, it's just an actual, interesting bunch of terrain (and even when there is a single path with shortcuts on it, you'll note that they didn't put any red rings there! Why not? It would have been sensible, and defused a lot of the tension elsewhere!). This is why I don't really like red rings as a Sonic conceit, I think they put too much external pressure on how you play stages, and as I think has been observed it just... kinda sucks when you're playing through a stage and the ring hunt is obviously completely taking over your thought process and you catch yourself wanting it to just be over so you can play the stage properly.

I can't remember how I knew to run up those Towers in that one bit but I did, somehow. I think it might have been from watching trailers, lol. It's definitely an egregious case of completely failing to test for What If The Player Doesn't Know That. Once again, it's the carelessness.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Oh no! Fingers crossed for mild symptoms and a swift recovery! Gel well soon, Tea!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fedule posted:

I can't remember how I knew to run up those Towers in that one bit but I did, somehow. I think it might have been from watching trailers, lol. It's definitely an egregious case of completely failing to test for What If The Player Doesn't Know That. Once again, it's the carelessness.

They commented on the game not teaching things well, but I think that part's more thinking it's taught something that never happened. At least with parry on the first boss the failure's in connecting lesson X to test Y. Other enemies we could climb (Giganto, Asura) were shiny obsidian or glossy white, with red lights moving upwards to draw our attention the same way. Ancient ruin runnable walls are similar, a strong blue pattern to make them stand out. These are a dirty gray with the red lights scrolling downward.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Get well soon, Tea! Hope Covid isn't hitting you too badly.

I wonder if just straight-up copying a level design from a previous game would have saved any effort compared to just designing a new one. My first thought was that it's a fairly lazy (or at least time-conscious) thing to do, but something built for the Dreamcast probably isn't something you can just import. Especially making sure it works with modern Sonic mechanics too.

Fedule posted:

This is why I don't really like red rings as a Sonic conceit, I think they put too much external pressure on how you play stages, and as I think has been observed it just... kinda sucks when you're playing through a stage and the ring hunt is obviously completely taking over your thought process and you catch yourself wanting it to just be over so you can play the stage properly.

Does it make a difference for you whether you're expected to get them in one run? In Generations they were often on mutually exclusive paths and collecting them over several runs felt more like just an impetus to explore the level, but having them all on the One Key Route that you have to specifically get sounds much more aggravating.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Add my voice to the well-wishings for Tea.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
May you have a quick recovery, Tea!

Tenebrais posted:

Does it make a difference for you whether you're expected to get them in one run? In Generations they were often on mutually exclusive paths and collecting them over several runs felt more like just an impetus to explore the level, but having them all on the One Key Route that you have to specifically get sounds much more aggravating.

I agree with the idea that having all the red rings on one route would be very annoying. I believe they're best used for encouraging exploration of the level to find the various paths you can take.

The problem with Frontiers implementation of them isn't that you have to put thought into finding them, but rather that instead of being used to unlock some neat extras as a reward for tracking them down, they are needed for grabbing vault keys, which are an item you actually do need and will feel compelled to gather in all the ways the game offers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's difficult to be sure without mapping everything out (particularly on a 3D level like that), but I think the red rings are placed at choke points. You'll have various routes doing their thing, then there's a point where you can get from one route to the others, and the ring's somewhere there. That's why they're not on shortcuts.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 16.33333333333

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Is that supposed to link to something, or is that just fanart?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

berryjon posted:

Is that supposed to link to something, or is that just fanart?

Solve the maze and win a new GC game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Good to see you guys back!

I'm not sure if the games ever specified why Knuckles was left as the last survivor. Sonic the Comic ended before getting to resolve any of that, although the fan continuiation StC Online had its own ideas. In the Archie comics Knuckles turned out to not in fact be the last of the echidnas, they were all just pretending to be extinct.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Glad to hear Tea's feeling better, if not completely over it yet.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Good to see y'all are back!

It's ironic you were both wondering where the fishing spot was because I was pretty sure you weren't too far from it when that was brought up. And I don't think enemies do percentage based damage in this game. That would mean that defense doesn't really mean much as a stat.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I appreciate them and Tea says he really does as well.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That crane minigame comes straight from the same school of game design that inspired Rockstar to make Scouting the Port in GTA V. I have no idea what the hell they or Sonic Team were thinking, though to the latter's credit, their application of it is nowhere near as bad as that particular mission. But there is another mandatory minigame coming up on the next island, and gently caress me if that wouldn't fit straight in something like Sonic 06.

I didn't see anymore advance episodes up on your Patreon so you've probably already beaten Wyvern, but the reason it's good to tackle the fishing minigame beforehand is that the QTE for it is the exact same as one of them coming up in this fight. That's it. No bigger mystery. Doesn't sound like much and it isn't in hindsight, but after how needlessly vague the Giganto fight can be with all the different applications for parry, I figured you'd want to avoid as many headaches as possible.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi posted:

That crane minigame comes straight from the same school of game design that inspired Rockstar to make Scouting the Port in GTA V. I have no idea what the hell they or Sonic Team were thinking, though to the latter's credit, their application of it is nowhere near as bad as that particular mission. But there is another mandatory minigame coming up on the next island, and gently caress me if that wouldn't fit straight in something like Sonic 06.

I didn't see anymore advance episodes up on your Patreon so you've probably already beaten Wyvern, but the reason it's good to tackle the fishing minigame beforehand is that the QTE for it is the exact same as one of them coming up in this fight. That's it. No bigger mystery. Doesn't sound like much and it isn't in hindsight, but after how needlessly vague the Giganto fight can be with all the different applications for parry, I figured you'd want to avoid as many headaches as possible.

Sorry that should be up on early access now!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It's not entirely impossible to not get all the red rings in that one level. If you just proceeded as normal from the beginning instead of jumping to the side on those platforms, you would have missed the first one. That's what that bee enemy was doing there, it was just off the end of the straightforward path which also led to the first checkpoint. I also hope y'all like Chaos Island more than I did. Some of the platforming sequences constantly forcing you to the 2D perspective made me want to quit playing entirely, and it still did make me take a brief hiatus from the game too.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'm legit surprised they mentioned Super Knuckles, given how fast that idea was dropped.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay, but have you considered,

you could have one more go round of the chorus of Break Through It All?

WHAT GOES AROUND

COMES BACK AROUND AGAIN

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Fedule posted:

Okay, but have you considered,

you could have one more go round of the chorus of Break Through It All?

WHAT GOES AROUND

COMES BACK AROUND AGAIN

AND IF WE DON’T COME DOWN

WE’LL BE LOST IN THE WIIIIIIIIIND

Everyone always talks up Undefeatable and the next theme but for me Break Through It All is the theme to beat in Frontiers’ lyrical tracks.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's weird that this game recreates Shadow's levels from SA2. I don't remember the name, but that was clearly the jungle one. (White jungle?) They even included the bungee jump.
I want to see metal harbor instead.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 15, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The wrenches are Tinker Tokens, or Tinkokens

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Y'all covered it as soon as you saw that blue Chaos Emerald so close and yet so far, but that's the other problem with Chaos Island besides the 2D segments, and that's the wonky navigation and figuring out how to get to places. The other islands are fun to explore, but this one is just downright misleading in more than a few places. Put that together with the aforementioned forced 2D segments and the pits and lava death traps, and it's definitely my least favorite island.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.