Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't know if it's an answer but I have a guess on the birds:
Can you parry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Those birds are a loving pain in the rear end. Without saying how to kill them, I will say that you can get all the emeralds without bouncing off the top of them to get to the hoops that look like they lead to the other land masses because as soon as I got on top of the little fuckers, I killed the poo poo out of them every single time. That being said, it might actually be possible. Can't remember if the hoops y'all were looking at when floating that idea actually lead you away from the emerald or further to it either.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bruceski posted:

I don't know if it's an answer but I have a guess on the birds:
Can you parry?
Yeah, I feel like Nat maybe forgot about the parry again. Note that I don't have Sonic Frontiers so I may be talking completely out of my rear end.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I have no idea what that was up with Excavator glitching there. It's not some secret weird boss, it's literally just a palette swap of some other goober with some added gimmicks to make it more challenging. Also feeling ya on the whole recycling of cyberspace level designs. It's really weird when you actually learn the story reason later on why the cyberspace levels are the way they are and I was just like, okay? You could have done so much more with that concept!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's not just that there's only four level themes (at least so far), but that they're only really using two of them! There's been, what, one level each for Chemical Plant and Radical Highway? As if I wasn't already sick to death of Green Hill from it getting homaged in all the other games...

My housemate swears by huel as a depression food. Something you can put together with no effort that will give you balanced nutrients and everything. Genuinely helped her feel better the first time she tried it. Apparently the chicken and mushroom flavour actually tastes good but I have my doubts.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I bring joyous news: a patch launching this Thursday is gonna add some extra modes that aren't important but also finally let you bulk-order speed/ring levels

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I never once thought to just jump over those drift boosters when I did that ungodly level. Also go Tea on breaking a 2D segment! I don't particularly like those sequences so now I understand why they were framed that way, but still. That's quite a bug there.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
3D in 2D is a really common bug across all the boost games, generally speaking. It's a huge staple of speedruns!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That sure was a level. Just completely circumvent the gimmick to make it palpable.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That underground route was actually pretty cool. More of the game should have been like that rather than just the arbitrary obstacle courses in the sky.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Clearly the game forcing you into that 2D segment on the tower is revenge for you breaking all the 3D segments so far.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 25 - Launch Base

Art will be up shortly!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
When it comes to trashing OG Sonic music, people can talk all they want. But you better not speak a single foul word about the Doomsday Zone/final boss music of Sonic 3 Knuckles mode against Super Metal Sonic.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Haven't finished the video but Tea is 100% correct about the music.

The Jackson Ice Cap Act 1 is good, but replacing the other five acts with better music is worth it in the end.

The Origins mixes of those tracks isn't great from what I heard but the original tracks themselves are.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I guess the art is delayed because Nat and Tea are still arguing over Serious Opinions on Sonic music. :v:

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Tenebrais posted:

Haven't finished the video but Tea is 100% correct about the music.

The Jackson Ice Cap Act 1 is good, but replacing the other five acts with better music is worth it in the end.

The Origins mixes of those tracks isn't great from what I heard but the original tracks themselves are.

I must respectfully disagree. The original Carnival Night tracks are the only ones I don't miss much (I still like them, but they're not top notch or anything), but losing both Ice Caps hurt, and losing both Launch Base tunes seriously hurt. The prototype music does not measure up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Huh, I never knew you could do that with the birds. I always managed to get on top of them from a higher height like a tower or a floating platform, and then rode them to oblivion. And man, there's one absolutely magical mini-game left for this island. Can't wait to see your take on it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
"I'm inconsistent!" Self-depreciation and an accurate assessment of how the character has been handled in two perfect words.

WHY IS THIS GAME SO WELL WRITTEN!?!?!?!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 1, 2023

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Those little flashy blue things you're supposed to cyloop around only pop up at night. The reason they stopped appearing was that it turned to daylight as you were doing it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Any plans for playing The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Any plans for playing The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog?

I cannot say yes any harder.

It will probably be its own thread but we're definitely doing this next.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Natural 20 posted:

I cannot say yes any harder.

It will probably be its own thread but we're definitely doing this next.

Too bad the dates didn't line up, or that could have been the next video update.

"Tea and I got tired of playing Frontiers, so we switched to a different Sonic game." :D

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man. Pinball is a Sonic staple, of course, but that particular game looks really anaemic.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That emotional Sage scene works better if you went out of your way to find and chat with her on all the islands, like you can chat with Amy, Knuckles and Tails. Her dialogue with Sonic is still pretty snippy through all those optional interactions but the impact of what they were going for does work better after there's far more interaction between her and Sonic and not just her breaking down out of nowhere.

Alright, so that loving pinball game. Don't know if y'all already beat it, but I'm saying this now because it's already a pain in the rear end on it's own, you not only have to get the required five million score, but once you do that, you have to hit the ball up to the very top of the area where it starts to glow. That's not immediately clear, and gently caress me is it poo poo game design. There's all kinds of little things about this game which bother me but they're little. This part though? No excuse whatsoever, and that's saying something since this little minigame is far more luck based than it needs to be. Never played Sonic 4 but all I'm reminded of are those mine cart levels where you have to constantly tilt your screen to get through the level whenever you fall in a pit. Get your act together Sonic Team. I hope you're able to get through it with minimal hassle. I've read that some people took a little over an hour doing it. I got lucky, somewhere around 15-20 minutes and I know it could have been so much worse.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh my god how did they gently caress up a Sonic pinball minigame?!

That looked criminally boring to play.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Shei-kun posted:

Oh my god how did they gently caress up a Sonic pinball minigame?!

That looked criminally boring to play.

With an unnecessarily high score requirement for a mandatory sequence. I got extremely lucky to have cleared it within fifteen minutes. Some people were far less lucky. Not something I feel like repeating.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Looking forward to open world puyo mean bean machine.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That pinball surely did not look all that fun. Mostly it felt really random. Like, you didn't really mess up or make any real mistake. The bumpers just decided that the ball belonged in the side gutters and you could do nothing against that. That's why most pinball games have a rumble mechanic.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In some other universe there is a freaking awesome Gundam-style game where you know all this stuff up front.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Glad to see y'all cleared pinball so quickly and painlessly. That could have been a lot worse.

I think you being frozen in mid-air when you were getting on top of Knight was you jumping on an invisible ledge glitch. I've seen other people do it purely for speedrun stuff in the first island but I didn't know they were in the other islands too.

I'm surprised the Celestial Rain stuff happened on this island. Never seen that one before.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yes, yes! Split it wide open!

Seriously there is no way they were not thinking about MGR when designing this guy. I always said MGR's music was like an escalation from Sonic Adventure and Sonic Frontiers was basically bringing the style back around full circle so it's nice to see there's a (probable) reference in gameplay too.

I really think there's actually something in this combat engine, there's possibility there, but it needs to be developed. Are they going to be able to do it for the next game? Hell if I know.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You can also cyloop the titans and they have some great animations. Cylooping them once binds them in place letting you beat em up and then doing it a second time has Sonic do a special attack which does big damage.

Knight's is particularly awesome because Sonic summons loving energy spears to hold it aloft and the second cyloop creates an ethereal lance which falls from the sky and skewers Knight into the ground.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.