Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I will post one more reminder that you should flip the difficulty up to Hard for a very good reason. (Also, it barely changes much else; the game is not exactly finely balanced and becomes kind of a joke if you keep up with stats at all, and it doesn't change the action stages at all, there's just this one reason for doing it really)

I'll laugh for at least two minutes if you beat the whole game without discovering fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I don't know if it's first revealed in character interaction with Amy et al through the previous islands, it's something revealed later on, or it's actually said in that flashback sequence that y'all were mocking, but there is a reason all the cyberspace levels are old Sonic stages.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Fedule posted:

I'll laugh for at least two minutes if you beat the whole game without discovering fishing.

Particularly since they came so infuriatingly close to it on the very first map.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

EricFate posted:

Particularly since they came so infuriatingly close to it on the very first map.

*screams and shakes his monitor* "GO FISHING!"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Canonically, all of the games took place on the same planet and in the same timeline (unless being on another world was an explicit part of the plot).

It took until like last year for Sega to decide that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The one thing that bothers me is that Nat refuses to finish the skull tree.

He might as well buy Auto Combo cause it will look cool.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

The one thing that bothers me is that Nat refuses to finish the skull tree.

He might as well buy Auto Combo cause it will look cool.

Word. I am truly surprised that he's gone this far and it seems like he's not even halfway done. Especially with how little skills there are in this game to begin with.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

cant cook creole bream posted:

I want to see metal harbor instead.

I'm really familiar with that level design. But they really scraped a lot of the cool parts. Replacing that launching rocket with a little cannon feels undignified.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
So the big bad did lure Sonic into a Shadow of the Colossus situation.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't know if there have been a lot of levels from Unleashed but the very first level in Frontiers was Windmill Isle Act 1, like, the very very first tutorial stage.

Weirdly I seem to have completely blanked Caterpillar from my memory. I don't remember it at all. I do not like those high-up between-rail spheres and I still don't understand what input does the thing that apparently correctly gets them. But what I do like, a lot, is that they designed a boss around Get Blue Spheres, even down to having the yellow spheres to use as jump points. Sad that they didn't have the yellow spheres catapult you like they should, but points for trying I guess.

The story scene here is weird. I mean I love that Eggman has once again awakened an ancient evil beyond his understanding or capacity in an attempt to, uh, do whatever the gently caress he thought he was doing here. I'm not sure how I feel about this whole thing where Sage is simultaneously the only one who seemed to have any idea what was happening in Cyber Space while also not only bothering to clue anyone in even following her oddly ham-fisted realisation that Sonic is actually good but also not bothering to tell Eggman, it kinda feels like the writers forgot about trying to bridge those two elements. But what I really don't like is that Sonic's cyber corruption never once amounts to a single thing except being commented on exactly once per island and then leading to this single scene in which it is immediately resolved by ???????????? and never mentioned again. Writers really just saying whatever they feel like here, I guess. What even just happened on Rhea Island, anyway? What even is Cyber Space? We apparently just broke everyone out of it by defeating the Titans and deactivating the towers so how come it's still any kind of story presence? Why did Bad Thing instruct us to "break the barriers between dimensions" and then with that done say it was going to break those barriers (again?) itself? In conclusion this game kind of has a BioWare (2010s) quality about it where the big details are kind of all nonsense but the whole production is carried on strength of character writing, which even in this stupid nonsense scene is still somehow perfectly on point for all six characters involved.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
The voice effect on that spinning combo finisher really reminds me of something out of Asura's Wrath.

Also Nat please look at the skill tree. I suspect you're going to cap out on skill points soon. I get that there are some you don't want, but there's still others you could get.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think at this point we've got 3 or 4 skills left that cost around 30 and we have 30 points?

Basically we're nowhere near cap.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
I thought you had like 70 unspent points (the indicator in the bottom right), which I assumed capped out at 99. :shrug: Being mostly done with the tree sounds about right, though; it's weirdly small.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

They've probably spent some skill points in between the last video and current time. They may have even had another whole recording session.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Commander Keene posted:

They've probably spent some skill points in between the last video and current time. They may have even had another whole recording session.

:facepalm: That'll teach me to post when not fully awake!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yes... ha ha ha... yes!

As you've realised, fishing lets you completely skip any part of the game you decide isn't worth the bother. It's a little more restrained at the start, but with each island the token rewards multiply and on the final island it's just drowning you in currency. Congratulations on completely busting the game.

My favourite detail about fishing is that they use this incredibly blunt and unsophisticated screen space reflection technique for the water there but given the Cyber Space context it actually seems fitting. Also many of the Egg Memos are great.

There's at least one point where Sage directly brings up Space Colony Ark to Eggman (I think it's early on when she's trying to convince him to team up with Sonic).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 33 - The Best Stage - Art will go up shortly!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's just so weird to me that they clearly have at least five level environments and just kept using two of them. It wouldn't feel so bad if they'd mixed them more evenly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FitBrainyCheeseBIRB-rjVAhlOua3kr8q4q
If I remember right this streamer used to actually be a club DJ, and for the music from that level he just stopped to groove for a bit. Makes me smile every time.

This game has jank but the highs are pretty good.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/FitBrainyCheeseBIRB-rjVAhlOua3kr8q4q
If I remember right this streamer used to actually be a club DJ, and for the music from that level he just stopped to groove for a bit. Makes me smile every time.

This game has jank but the highs are pretty good.

This absolutely rules.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Donpa Kingdom is for Sonic Team Racing, that's why it said race data.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Nat one minute: Maps? We don't need no stinkin maps! Nat a minute later: I forgot where the fishing stage is!

Also it's kinda silly that even with the first major patch applied, they still haven't fixed how the voice revealed to be a major villain all this time is still appearing as a kind of tutorial fairy for the computers hanging around.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The problem is the Map doesn't show you anything helpful unless you get a billion of the map nodes!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm surprised with Nat's aversion to completing the challenges all over each island and mapping out as much area as possible, which in turn also prevents him from discovering as many levels as he can, that he's still so adamant on S-Ranking levels when he could just buy the vault keys with fishing tokens.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Shitenshi posted:

I'm surprised with Nat's aversion to completing the challenges all over each island and mapping out as much area as possible, which in turn also prevents him from discovering as many levels as he can, that he's still so adamant on S-Ranking levels when he could just buy the vault keys with fishing tokens.

The S-ranks are an explicit challenge! What are you gonna do, not conquer it?

Honestly, it'd be interesting to compare how other players approach this stuff and where different people see the "real game" to be. From Nat and Tea's approach, they're treating the cyberspace levels as core gameplay to be sought out and enjoyed, while the rest of the game is mostly overworld to put some space between those levels and contain all the story. That's how the game looks to me, although that might be because I'm only seeing it through the lens of this LP. I can certainly imagine someone who is more into the open world for its own sake seeing the cyberspace levels as a mandatory minigame breaking up their open-world Sonic experience.

There's probably some interesting differences in whether people spend their fishing points on memory tokens, gears or keys.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The day the leaders of the brewing machine rebellion met, one of them brought up Tea's posting history, and they all collectively agreed that humanity needed to be violently slaughtered.

A species that didn't appreciate the music of Sonic 3 could never be reasoned with.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais posted:

Honestly, it'd be interesting to compare how other players approach this stuff and where different people see the "real game" to be. From Nat and Tea's approach, they're treating the cyberspace levels as core gameplay to be sought out and enjoyed, while the rest of the game is mostly overworld to put some space between those levels and contain all the story. That's how the game looks to me, although that might be because I'm only seeing it through the lens of this LP. I can certainly imagine someone who is more into the open world for its own sake seeing the cyberspace levels as a mandatory minigame breaking up their open-world Sonic experience.

There's probably some interesting differences in whether people spend their fishing points on memory tokens, gears or keys.

I think the overworld challenges to get friend tokens are fun but broadly less coherent than the actual levels. Notably they only seem to ever reward one friend token which makes getting friend tokens an incredibly painful process given you need literally hundreds by the end.

And I just see getting S ranks as a point of pride while I'm there. I could easily jump past the need, but I like and consider myself to be pretty good at boost Sonic so it seems like a bit of a waste.

That said, the cyberspace levels themselves aren't incredible enough that I want to seek out every single one and play through all of them. Especially given the majority already exist in other games and, especially in the case of the ones from Generations, were done much, much better in the older games.

GimmickMan posted:

The day the leaders of the brewing machine rebellion met, one of them brought up Tea's posting history, and they all collectively agreed that humanity needed to be violently slaughtered.

A species that didn't appreciate the music of Sonic 3 could never be reasoned with.

Tea damning us all. That seems about right.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Tenebrais posted:

Exactly. What kind of video series would this be if that challenge remained unanswered.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
You know, I hate to rain on Nat's parade here, but the S-Rank is technically only a thing for time, not so much getting all the four stage objectives. If you really want to be one of the cool kids, you complete all the stage objectives, time, red rings, the max amount of rings required, and getting to the end of the stage all in one go without restarting, and you'll even get additional vault keys for doing that.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Natural 20 posted:

I think the overworld challenges to get friend tokens are fun but broadly less coherent than the actual levels. Notably they only seem to ever reward one friend token which makes getting friend tokens an incredibly painful process given you need literally hundreds by the end.

It actually was a process that went by incredibly fast for me. If you make a point of revealing the whole map, you'll naturally find yourself collecting a ton of tokens. Besides that, you will also find the fishing spots this way, which allows you to just buy the tokens you need, should you prefer to do that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi posted:

You know, I hate to rain on Nat's parade here, but the S-Rank is technically only a thing for time, not so much getting all the four stage objectives. If you really want to be one of the cool kids, you complete all the stage objectives, time, red rings, the max amount of rings required, and getting to the end of the stage all in one go without restarting, and you'll even get additional vault keys for doing that.

Isn't that genuinely impossible on some stages because the Red Rings are on mutually exclusive routes?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Natural 20 posted:

Isn't that genuinely impossible on some stages because the Red Rings are on mutually exclusive routes?

As far as I know this is not true on any stage; they all have 5-ring paths.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The Red Rings are all on one route you're intended to follow. It can be (and in most cases is) a bitch and a half figuring out which one, given how in some of the levels there are multiple branching paths, but it is doable.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 21, 2023

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Pretty sure that if you want to fast travel between the Elder and Hermit Koco's via the map you have to cycle through the display options so only their icons are visible. Also you could have easily spammed the poo poo out of your ranged moves to take that Red Pillar no problem.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
SONIC SHOULDN'T HAVE RANGED OPTIONS.

Nah in all seriousness they're really good and it's obvious in retrospect that we should, but so many years of Sonic mean that I just intuit that I'm melee locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Insert hitbox into enemy, repeat until one of you dies.