Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
My first gaming system wasn't the Genesis, but it did have the first video games I ever played. When compared to the SNES, I can't help but think it's sound chip is definitely inferior or at the very least most games just didn't know how to use it right. Hence the OG Sonic trilogy still has some of the best music on the system, and Tea is crazy for trashing some of those tracks.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 25, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Man, they fumbled about every part of this except Sage. Absolutely the last thing I expected out of a Sonic plot was to feel anything at all for Eggman, but no, they set it up and Mike Pollock knocked it out of the park in one six word line. The silent scene right before the credits was a nice touch too. Generally all the character arcs are great. Somebody has plans for this series, and has gone to a lot of effort to set the table for something. BTW it's been confirmed that Ian Flynn is also writing the story for the DLC arc, whatever that is.

Anyway. Everything else is completely off.

Supreme sucks? There's nothing really interesting or noteworthy about it, which is a shame because its design is p baller and it looks badass waving that gun around and nothing really comes out of it save for some underwhelming bullet sequences. They use the game's unbelievably hard-going theme music for the fight but in the single biggest fuckup anywhere in the game they use a two-phase edit that doesn't have any lyrics at all in the first phase and opens the second with an instrumental that's longer than the fight will take most of the time. All this for a track where the loving chorus literally opens from a pin-drop rest, which they could have segued into with the barest minimum effort anywhere else for one of the finest drops anywhere in video games... like come on, man!. I'm Here is a fantastic track gone completely to waste.

The final boss fight is MIA. Sorry, I tried to nudge you into flipping onto Hard difficulty, which is the only way to actually fight it. But no, like most of the player base, it was missed. It's an extremely weird flex by the game, but also, in a sense, I can kinda totally see why they did it, because the whole thing, while a lovely and powerful setpiece, is also esoteric and really difficult and kinda starts to get on your nerves after a while, but goddamnit the solution to this problem is to design a final boss fight that's good instead of trying to sweep it under the hard mode rug. There are like five more lore references in that fight! It deserved better! Also, if you do the fight, then in the second part of the credits the completely non-sequitur track Vandalise is replaced with a much more appropriate (and original) one that's way more Sonic.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The real final boss isn't anything to lose sleep over, but at the same time yeah, it is cool if just because of all the dialogue and the graphic setpieces. Also I coulda sworn the end credits with Sage still being alive was only a bonus you got if you actually fought it as opposed to playing Easy or Normal mode. Maybe they really did patch it in after all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Supreme has way too low HP, as a result you don't even need to engage with it's mechanic of attacking the bits then countering the lasers he sends in response.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The ending felt a bit... sudden? I guess that's the word for it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

But that's what it takes to be infiniiiiiiiiiiiiiiite! :sax:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Miz Kriss posted:

The ending felt a bit... sudden? I guess that's the word for it.

From the, uh, editing of the cutscene and what other posters are saying, I think the game is meant to have a shmup sequence before the big baseball toss. Which it just skips.

Brutal Garcon fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 27, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Supreme has way too low HP, as a result you don't even need to engage with it's mechanic of attacking the bits then countering the lasers he sends in response.

I think this is a necessary flaw due to the variable number of rings people can come into the fight with. Other Super Sonic bosses in games have had constant new rings coming your way so you can recharge the timer, and even in cases where those ran out (because the stage was looping without replacement) it padded the time to do a complex boss or figure out where you were supposed to aim for. If there's a way to recharge in Frontiers it's not obvious, they tried air cyloops.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well Supreme is pretty easy if you do his mechanic (Even if you ignore it, it's pretty easy)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah as I said, I feel like the combat generally was just a bit of a miss for me. The bosses felt puzzley but not in very intuitive or fun ways and outside of that the actual combat with enemies was honestly similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah as I said, I feel like the combat generally was just a bit of a miss for me. The bosses felt puzzley but not in very intuitive or fun ways and outside of that the actual combat with enemies was honestly similar.

There's one enemy I wish was present throughout the game solely due to the way fighting it works, and that's Ghost. Definitely my favorite Guardian, both in how it's fought and the music that plays during the encounter.