Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

From watching various streamers the secret to enjoying this game seems to be taking it at face value. I've seen a couple who wanted to engage with it like Generations and treat the main world as just something to get unlocks for the stages. That doesn't work. The main world's where the game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I don't have anything to say about controls, but I will say the time limit on that stage is INCREDIBLY tight for some reason.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gnoman posted:

Referencing the collectibles discussion, I feel like they're a crutch used when devs aren't confident in the world they've made. A good open world game thrives on creating a feeling of "what's that over there" - seeing an area you haven't seen before should be a reward in and of itself, and potentially claiming specific special rewards (as opposed to Hidden Package 43/100) is a bonus. Generic collectibles (aside from things like rings in this game that are part of the franchise legacy) are the devs basically saying "we don't know how to make players want to visit this spot, so we'll throw some crap around to grab their attention".

Breath of the Wild as an example to support this, it made everywhere feel unique enough that you could say "what's over here", and finding a shrine or a korok or a cool sword or whatever was a bonus. At least for me.

Helped that you didn't need anywhere near everything to finish.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

EricFate posted:

If only there were a combat maneuver that could throw an attacking enemy off balance and make them easier to damage...

It's communicated very poorly, they're not the first I've seen have this issue. The mid-air spin thingy just seems like a gimmick for enemies with shields when introduced.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

There definitely looks like a tutorialising problem here. Which is interesting, because there's been a lot of tutorials. The game probably could have done more to show that the moves it's teaching you can and should be used outside the specific circumstances of the tutorials.

I'm reminded of how otherwise-excellent Platinum brawlers have a bad habit of tutorializing the shop by putting a critical skill in there, but doing nothing to make that skill stand out from the bajillion others you can buy. Even if they make you buy that one first there's nothing to signpost it because it's disguised as "by the way, the shop is open for new skills" instead of "this is a really important skill you're missing, let's go get it."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

bladeworksmaster posted:

Funny story about that is Platinum eventually agreed with you in Wonderful 101 Remastered, where they immediately point you to the shop, go "Hey look at those massively discounted skills, might wanna get those", and make you buy them before proceeding to Operation 001.

That's good, W101 and Revengance are the worst offenders that come to mind, though I'm sure there's others. Can't recall if Bayonetta ever had that issue but I examine every new accessory carefully.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fedule posted:

I can't remember how I knew to run up those Towers in that one bit but I did, somehow. I think it might have been from watching trailers, lol. It's definitely an egregious case of completely failing to test for What If The Player Doesn't Know That. Once again, it's the carelessness.

They commented on the game not teaching things well, but I think that part's more thinking it's taught something that never happened. At least with parry on the first boss the failure's in connecting lesson X to test Y. Other enemies we could climb (Giganto, Asura) were shiny obsidian or glossy white, with red lights moving upwards to draw our attention the same way. Ancient ruin runnable walls are similar, a strong blue pattern to make them stand out. These are a dirty gray with the red lights scrolling downward.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's difficult to be sure without mapping everything out (particularly on a 3D level like that), but I think the red rings are placed at choke points. You'll have various routes doing their thing, then there's a point where you can get from one route to the others, and the ring's somewhere there. That's why they're not on shortcuts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The wrenches are Tinker Tokens, or Tinkokens

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I don't know if it's an answer but I have a guess on the birds:
Can you parry?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

In some other universe there is a freaking awesome Gundam-style game where you know all this stuff up front.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

https://clips.twitch.tv/FitBrainyCheeseBIRB-rjVAhlOua3kr8q4q
If I remember right this streamer used to actually be a club DJ, and for the music from that level he just stopped to groove for a bit. Makes me smile every time.

This game has jank but the highs are pretty good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Donpa Kingdom is for Sonic Team Racing, that's why it said race data.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Insert hitbox into enemy, repeat until one of you dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Supreme has way too low HP, as a result you don't even need to engage with it's mechanic of attacking the bits then countering the lasers he sends in response.

I think this is a necessary flaw due to the variable number of rings people can come into the fight with. Other Super Sonic bosses in games have had constant new rings coming your way so you can recharge the timer, and even in cases where those ran out (because the stage was looping without replacement) it padded the time to do a complex boss or figure out where you were supposed to aim for. If there's a way to recharge in Frontiers it's not obvious, they tried air cyloops.