Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Current Episode

Art will be up shortly!

About the Game

Sonic Frontiers is a 2022 game released by Sega and is their next mainline Sonic title in their flagship series.

When last Yorkshire Tea and I left Sonic, we had just completed Sonic Generations.

We found that game to be a lot of fun, combining thrilling 3D sections with interesting 2D levels.

But following the release of Generations Sonic lost his way. The maligned Sonic Lost world released in 2013, with attempts by Sega to ape Super Mario Galaxy going wrong as Sonic's speed made the game a confusing experience for everyone involved.

A remedy came with the incredible Sonic Mania in 2017, a 2D Sonic game developed by Headcanon and Christian Whitehead aka the Taxman. An incredible fusion of old and new, it presented a new way for Sonic to move into the future.

Unfortunately Sega ignored this with Sonic Forces, also released in 2017. Despite a fairly cool create a character system, the game lacked the complexity of level design that had came to characterise boost era Sonic, or any real depth to the 2D stages that were added.

And so we arrive after five years of silence, here with Sonic Frontiers.

Frontiers places Sonic in an open world, hoping that the wide space afforded will give better form to Sonic's speed.

Initially derided as a cheap "Sonic in the Unreal engine" style fangame, Frontiers surprised as previews came back with positive feedback, suggesting that moving in the open world was thrilling and fun. Since its release, Frontiers has got the best reception for a Sonic Team game since Generations, with most critics having fun with the open world, whilst a few others have criticised it for not having enough to do.

So how will Yorkshire Tea, the 2D sonic afficionado, and yours truly, the lover of the boost era, fair?

I can't tell you the answer to that, but what I can tell you is that we're really excited to find out.

About the LP

This is a blind Co-op LP. Tea and I will play through the game and when possible (aka when Tea is at my house) we will swap controllers with each level and each life so you can see our different approaches to Sonic's world!

Episodes will release on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 11pm BST, 6pm EST (or as close to that as I can manage) with cheeky Patreon early episodes for those who are really invested.

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes

Episode 16.33333333333

Art will be up shortly!

Links

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early! (Incidentally this is also the only place where I can actually time video releases, so if I need to delay posting a video here, it will show up on Patreon on its own.)

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SelenicMartian posted:

Wait, they want you to walk to the tip that tells you how to walk?

It's reinforcing what you already know! Genius!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 26, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tea and I are genuinely confused about this.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

EricFate posted:

If only there were a combat maneuver that could throw an attacking enemy off balance and make them easier to damage...

You're hinting at a mechanic that I genuinely don't remember.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais posted:

I'll admit I haven't been paying close attention through the entire LP, so I don't know what all your options are, but it looks to me like you were told to use all your techniques then proceeded to mash basic attack repeatedly, visibly not do enough damage then complain the combat is bad.

I don't know what you are supposed to be doing here but I'd have at least tried making a cyloop around it or something.

In my defense I tried the cyloop but a tooltip says the boss is immune to it?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Then this is very confusing!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think that we're both idiots but also that if two people both can't figure out what to do then even if they're morons something has gone wrong.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 08 - Strider

Art will be up shortly!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

EricFate posted:

It seems like you are having fun with it again, which is good. I won't lie to you and say that you aren't going to run into other mechanics that you hate -- because this game is chock full of bad decisions -- but the net positives were strong enough that I never wanted to just shelve it and forget about it.

The crazy part, is that only a select few of those positives wound up being things that have ever been considered a strength of the game franchise. (namely plot.) The biggest hook for me was the desire to untangle the story and see how this whole thing was going to play out.

I think we were having fun with Giganto, we were just really really confused.

I just thought the combat loop was pretty intuitive with beat on enemy until you fill up your gauge, then dodge like crazy to maintain your meter for as long as possible.

This might be because I'm a massive Bayonetta fan and I didn't realise I was actually playing Dante in DMC5.

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

I actually hate the music used in Titan fights. I'm really tired of Sonic being associated with rock or whatever the gently caress it's classified as.

I enjoy a lot of the music in this game and generally a lot of the general sonic rock themes, but I think the super sonic theme in this game is a little weaker than what I usually see out of Sega's team.

For better or for worse Sonic has always had great music.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais posted:

That shark fight was pretty cool.

Do you guys listen to Sonic The Comic The Podcast? They're at the run-up to issue 100 at the moment.

I did not know that this existed.

So you can pretty much guarantee that I will listen to it soon.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hey everyone, just a heads up, there's going to be a delay on the next few episodes/patreon sneak peeks because Yorkshire Tea is down with Covid. (Him feeling ill at the end of this video? Yeah that's not motion sickness)

I'm just fine and he's on the mend but definitely not in a place where he can safely visit to record or really record remotely on his end either.

In the meantime I'll be cooking up the finale to my Fire Emblem Path of Radiance blind ironman if you want to check out something incredibly dumb on the channel!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 16.33333333333

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

berryjon posted:

Is that supposed to link to something, or is that just fanart?

Solve the maze and win a new GC game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I appreciate them and Tea says he really does as well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi posted:

That crane minigame comes straight from the same school of game design that inspired Rockstar to make Scouting the Port in GTA V. I have no idea what the hell they or Sonic Team were thinking, though to the latter's credit, their application of it is nowhere near as bad as that particular mission. But there is another mandatory minigame coming up on the next island, and gently caress me if that wouldn't fit straight in something like Sonic 06.

I didn't see anymore advance episodes up on your Patreon so you've probably already beaten Wyvern, but the reason it's good to tackle the fishing minigame beforehand is that the QTE for it is the exact same as one of them coming up in this fight. That's it. No bigger mystery. Doesn't sound like much and it isn't in hindsight, but after how needlessly vague the Giganto fight can be with all the different applications for parry, I figured you'd want to avoid as many headaches as possible.

Sorry that should be up on early access now!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
3D in 2D is a really common bug across all the boost games, generally speaking. It's a huge staple of speedruns!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 25 - Launch Base

Art will be up shortly!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 1, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Any plans for playing The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog?

I cannot say yes any harder.

It will probably be its own thread but we're definitely doing this next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.