Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The real best way to enjoy this game, and my patented advice for the later game is to [only open this if you get bored of the overworld and just want to beat the game] go hard into the fishing minigame and exchange for resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

1-2 is the hardest s rank due to the time but you dont need to 100% s ranks.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

every other stage i did a time run and a red ring run, 1-2 took me about 40 tries for time. I didn't have to do it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In fairness, giganto is the first point in the game that blocking is properly required - everything else at this stage is going down to a basic melee combo and the game is only now expecting something beyond that

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If a game requires you to use a mechanic in the boss fight then it should make sure you’re taught that mechanic. Blocking attacks is needed throughout the game but the fact that sonic frontiers is an open world means that you may not necessarily encounter anything that requires you to block. Yes there’s the early fight against ninja but you can easily brute force it with melee, then once you’re past it you may never fight another ninja again. Other than that the only thing that you need to block is the wheel enemy that chases you to explode but the game doesn’t tell you to block (they’re how I learned to block, but only because I looked up the mechanic when facing then).

The challenge in an open world game is how you teach the player core mechanics. There is some evidence of an attempt at tutorialising in the first section - everything until after the first giganto cutscene is fairly linear. After that though you’re only really taught game mechanics via the loading screen challenges which teaches you things in abstract but not in context - you’re getting a blocking tutorial but nothing saying “this is what you’re doing wrong”. In essence they’re relying on people’s game sense for a title which may very well be someone’s first game ever.

This isn’t even the worst design decision

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The game doesn’t really require you to engage with the majority of its content to begin with. The intended gameplay loop is that you do challenges in the overworld to get the tokens to progress the story, and you get gears from guardians to unlock levels which in turn give you keys for chaos emeralds. Fishing means you can skip all of that though, and even if you don’t fish you only have to do about 3 levels per island.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The worst design decision btw is tying 2 stats to a single collectible so that you have to do each level up manually up to 99 times per stat

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The hellworld of my brain made me collect the 5,000+ collectibles (through fishing) and then do the 99 levels because I was going for platinum.

The dopamine hit was not worth it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Very well done with improving on the combat

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

it's gimmick enemies all the way, but springbot is my friend

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sonic is synonymous with buttrock, the greatest genre of music

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

He’s more into speed

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The fishing minigame is the key to bending this game over your knee, particularly if you want to get big levels in your stats. It also holds an item that explains some of the story that you won’t be told about in standard play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Spookyelectric posted:

It's amazing what small things will remind you of how old you are.

When I was growing up (the 2d Sonic era), Sonic was synonymous with House music.

I mean I grew up during that era too but he’s had buttrock a lot longer