Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh drat, didn't know you guys had started a new LP! And a game I've been curious about too!

Maybe it's just that I haven't kept up with any of the Sonic media from the last... decade or so, but all these voices feel just a bit off to me. Like they've taken all the voices the characters should have and, like, turned them twenty degrees. Not bad voice acting at all, just different.
Meanwhile, I'm shocked that the writing is pretty decent. That I wasn't expecting from a Sonic game. Closest they've ever got to good writing is not having dialogue.

STC crew represent, by the way. That comic was the poo poo back in the 90's. Still my favourite version of Amy, even if I recognise that its wily crackshot lesbian hero character isn't meaningfully related to the one that ended up in canon. All the comic team had to go off was "this character has a crush on Sonic, here's a promo art. It has wonky perspective so you'll be drawing her spikes going up for ten years."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'll admit I haven't been paying close attention through the entire LP, so I don't know what all your options are, but it looks to me like you were told to use all your techniques then proceeded to mash basic attack repeatedly, visibly not do enough damage then complain the combat is bad.

I don't know what you are supposed to be doing here but I'd have at least tried making a cyloop around it or something.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 4, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There definitely looks like a tutorialising problem here. Which is interesting, because there's been a lot of tutorials. The game probably could have done more to show that the moves it's teaching you can and should be used outside the specific circumstances of the tutorials.

Getting a bunch of progression-skipping items as a preorder bonus probably didn't help either! As well as being a bad move in general. It would be one thing if the rewards were earlier access to stat boosts and skill unlocks, but this stuff has let you skip levels and minibosses. If you're offering "skip part of the game" as a reward that's a bad sign for your game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That shark fight was pretty cool.

Do you guys listen to Sonic The Comic The Podcast? They're at the run-up to issue 100 at the moment.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

I did not know that this existed.

So you can pretty much guarantee that I will listen to it soon.

https://stctp.zone/ if you want a convenient link!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I don't know how to feel about the combat in this game, at least from what we've seen so far. On the one hand, there's a bunch of combat moves that look cool and interesting, and there's definitely potential to make a fun system with it. But the actual combat in the game doesn't really meet that potential. No matter what the enemy's gimmick is, at some point they all boil down to using a reliable attack combo to slowly grind down their health, broken up by some sort of gimmick section where you have to figure out how to make them not invincible. Not just the minibosses either, but the regular enemies too, and it just doesn't feel like the way a combat-oriented Sonic game should work?

Like, Sonic as a character should be zipping around and smashing stuff, that's his whole deal. It'd feel a lot more in tune with that to have enemies go down in one or two hits with your combos focused on getting to the next one with the right rhythm to get in damage without being hit. You'd get more speed and flair out of more, weaker enemies, rather than having just a couple of them sitting around waiting for you to breakdance on their face for ten seconds until they die. I'm honestly not sure what they get out of every enemy making you go through multiple rounds of combat, other than justifying having you grind to upgrade your strength.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A child who was born when Sonic kissed Princess Elise will be old enough to vote next year. Even the buttrock days are long in the past.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah Chaos being a fish was a Sonic the Comic thing. In the actual game I think it was a mutated chao? There was a core of some sort in there.

The fish in StC did have a militaristic empire so I guess it fits in with that scene specifically though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I watched through your old LP of Generations not long ago and now it's very funny to see Nat contract boostitis

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Get well soon, Tea! Hope Covid isn't hitting you too badly.

I wonder if just straight-up copying a level design from a previous game would have saved any effort compared to just designing a new one. My first thought was that it's a fairly lazy (or at least time-conscious) thing to do, but something built for the Dreamcast probably isn't something you can just import. Especially making sure it works with modern Sonic mechanics too.

Fedule posted:

This is why I don't really like red rings as a Sonic conceit, I think they put too much external pressure on how you play stages, and as I think has been observed it just... kinda sucks when you're playing through a stage and the ring hunt is obviously completely taking over your thought process and you catch yourself wanting it to just be over so you can play the stage properly.

Does it make a difference for you whether you're expected to get them in one run? In Generations they were often on mutually exclusive paths and collecting them over several runs felt more like just an impetus to explore the level, but having them all on the One Key Route that you have to specifically get sounds much more aggravating.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Good to see you guys back!

I'm not sure if the games ever specified why Knuckles was left as the last survivor. Sonic the Comic ended before getting to resolve any of that, although the fan continuiation StC Online had its own ideas. In the Archie comics Knuckles turned out to not in fact be the last of the echidnas, they were all just pretending to be extinct.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's not just that there's only four level themes (at least so far), but that they're only really using two of them! There's been, what, one level each for Chemical Plant and Radical Highway? As if I wasn't already sick to death of Green Hill from it getting homaged in all the other games...

My housemate swears by huel as a depression food. Something you can put together with no effort that will give you balanced nutrients and everything. Genuinely helped her feel better the first time she tried it. Apparently the chicken and mushroom flavour actually tastes good but I have my doubts.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That underground route was actually pretty cool. More of the game should have been like that rather than just the arbitrary obstacle courses in the sky.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Haven't finished the video but Tea is 100% correct about the music.

The Jackson Ice Cap Act 1 is good, but replacing the other five acts with better music is worth it in the end.

The Origins mixes of those tracks isn't great from what I heard but the original tracks themselves are.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man. Pinball is a Sonic staple, of course, but that particular game looks really anaemic.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Canonically, all of the games took place on the same planet and in the same timeline (unless being on another world was an explicit part of the plot).

It took until like last year for Sega to decide that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's just so weird to me that they clearly have at least five level environments and just kept using two of them. It wouldn't feel so bad if they'd mixed them more evenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Shitenshi posted:

I'm surprised with Nat's aversion to completing the challenges all over each island and mapping out as much area as possible, which in turn also prevents him from discovering as many levels as he can, that he's still so adamant on S-Ranking levels when he could just buy the vault keys with fishing tokens.

The S-ranks are an explicit challenge! What are you gonna do, not conquer it?

Honestly, it'd be interesting to compare how other players approach this stuff and where different people see the "real game" to be. From Nat and Tea's approach, they're treating the cyberspace levels as core gameplay to be sought out and enjoyed, while the rest of the game is mostly overworld to put some space between those levels and contain all the story. That's how the game looks to me, although that might be because I'm only seeing it through the lens of this LP. I can certainly imagine someone who is more into the open world for its own sake seeing the cyberspace levels as a mandatory minigame breaking up their open-world Sonic experience.

There's probably some interesting differences in whether people spend their fishing points on memory tokens, gears or keys.