Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
If only there were a combat maneuver that could throw an attacking enemy off balance and make them easier to damage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Natural 20 posted:

You're hinting at a mechanic that I genuinely don't remember.

That is because you never use it. The next time you are fighting something on the ground, and you see the little lightning symbol that shows they are in the process of attacking -- Try holding down the L1 and R1 buttons. Watch what happens.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

The game does a poor job at conveying it, but parrying is something that makes fighting Ninja a breeze. Really should be the point at which it requires you to block, as waiting until you get to Giganto can be frustrating, as seen here.

Come to think of it, I can't recall when it even comes up in the game. I can't remember whether I learned it from one of the little white-room tutorial asides, from one of the challenges that explicitly directs you to use the mechanic, from seeing it on the command list, or from just flubbing a dodge and accidentally hitting both buttons.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

It seems like you are having fun with it again, which is good. I won't lie to you and say that you aren't going to run into other mechanics that you hate -- because this game is chock full of bad decisions -- but the net positives were strong enough that I never wanted to just shelve it and forget about it.

The crazy part, is that only a select few of those positives wound up being things that have ever been considered a strength of the game franchise. (namely plot.) The biggest hook for me was the desire to untangle the story and see how this whole thing was going to play out.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Fedule posted:

I'll laugh for at least two minutes if you beat the whole game without discovering fishing.

Particularly since they came so infuriatingly close to it on the very first map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Tenebrais posted:

The S-ranks are an explicit challenge! What are you gonna do, not conquer it?

Exactly. What kind of video series would this be if that challenge remained unanswered.