Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Riffle is gonna get stabbed in a barfight and left to bleed out in an alley.

Also Cacaroon is cute. What kind of creature is he again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Riffle is gonna get stabbed in a barfight and left to bleed out in an alley.

Also Cacaroon is cute. What kind of creature is he again?

Qiqirn, they show up in FFXIV as well. They are Beastmen and tend to be nicer than Gobbies.

We will get more of them don't worry. We will also get the baby version of them.

Anywho next time we can finally start compiling the list of irreversible damage Visaria has done to her soul(so far).

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 11, 2024

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

Anywho next time we can finally start compiling the list of irreversible damage Visaria has done to her soul(so far).

Yes... YES! Embrace the azure!

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Yes... YES! Embrace the azure!

:namazu:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
BLU! BLU! BLU!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 103: An Empty Vessel

Bustle of the Capital

Okay so on my way to the tea house I met this cool fortune teller hanging out outside.

Look Naja owes me a break. This waste of company time is fine.

I kinda do stick out like a sore thumb around here.

Suddenly this becomes very intense...

Hellriders

(Some of those I may have made up on the fly...)

(What a lousy fortune...)

Well, thanks I think?

Yeah sure I've got zoops. After watching Tiron and Naja I don't think it is actually possible to get fired. Extended break time I guess!

Anyway this clue sucks. I'm gonna have to check every drat river in the Middle Lands...

drat my helpful nature...

Right outside Port Bastok. It just happened to be at the first river I looked at. What luck.

Take it.

It's getting late and I should be getting to the tea house but sure...

Whispers of the Gods

Waaaay out in the weeds eh?

It's beautiful down here at least. No sign of this fellow I'm suppose to give the gem to though.

Nope nothi-

Where'd you come from?

Illusions in the Mist

Can you not do the vanishing thing? It gives me the shivers.

Look if there is no dying mom I need to get back to work adjacent activities.

I think I'm good...

He's right. I'm not strong enough as I am. What happened in Jeuno will just happen over and over again if I don't do something.

Ululations from Beyond

Urgh...

Ever-Turning Wheels

This is a different feeling from what Selh'teus did to me. It feels like the opposite, like nothing. Like I can feel things in the physical and mental sense but... I feel nothing. I know that makes no sense. What did they do to me?

I need answers.

Ululations from Beyond

I want to go back to work now...

Next time: I'm going to try and explain Blue magic...

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Fat and Useless posted:

Next time: I'm going to try and explain Blue magic...

Good luck... you're gonna need it!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Man Raubahn looks different :v:

also man the Blue Mage process, looks different :v:

You'll be okay, right...? :v:

:v:

:ohdear:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Congratulations and also I'm sorry for your terrible fate.

Blue Magic is so loving METAL in this game. This is absolutely my favourite incarnation of it in the whole series.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
BLUE MAGE BLUE MAGE BLUE MAGE BLUE MAGE BLUE MAGE

YES

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
11 Blu is best Blu, and it's not even close.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Melomane Mallet posted:

11 Blu is best Blu, and it's not even close.

Yep

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 104: I'm Using A Whole Main Update To Explain Blue

Kazham(Nanaa Mihgo's Ver)

Where do I even start?

Blue Mage is a Job that exists. Final Fantasy XI Blue Mage is the pinnacle of the Job in the series.

Blue Mage can Tank
Blue Mage can Heal
Blue Mage can Physical DPS
Blue Mage can Magical DPS
Blue Mage has some of the strongest support spells
Blue Mage has some of the best AoE spells in the game
Blue Mage has the strongest traits in the game
Blue Mage has access to some of the best Weapon Skills in the game
Blue Mage can easily self Skillchain

The flaw is like Red Mage you need a gear set for each role. You also need knowledge. You need to know what monsters use which TP moves and (as will become obvious why later) which Blue magic pairs with each other.

Blue Magic is learned from monsters. When they use a specific TP ability you have a chance to learn that TP ability upon defeating the monster. There is AF equipment to help boost this chance and I recommend getting it immediately. Unlike some Final Fantasy Blue Mages you do not need to be hit by the skill, you just need to see it and be on the enmity list AND the monster must be capable of giving experience so certain story fights don't give spells. You must also meet a minimum level and Blue magic skill to learn a move, no learning Mighty Guard at level 1. If you die before the monster dies and aren't raised before it hits the ground you aren't learning a spell.

There are 196 spells to learn. 18 of these can only be used when using a special ability.

Here is a basic example of how learning a spell goes:

Visaria walks up to a Mandragora and wants to learn Wild Oats. She meets the minimum requirements for learning the spell and makes sure she has her AF gloves on and any + Blue skill equipment she has for a placebo effect. If she just attacks it she'll instantly kill the thing before it can fire off a TP move. She puts on a one damage cosmetic weapon to work the monster down to critical HP levels where it will use TP moves more often. Once at 25% HP she'll start casting Dia from her Red Mage Sub Job over and over, it does next to no damage and gives the Mandragora TP. Once the monster has 1000 TP it will ready one of it's TP moves. Mandragoras can Dream Flower, Head Butt, Leaf Dagger, Photosynthesis, Scream, and Wild Oats. If it uses Wild Oats she kills it, if not she continues the Dia spam. After the fight if she learns Wild Oats then perfect she is free, if not the process goes on, sometimes for hours(Diamondhide), sometimes never in years of trying(Mind Blast).

Do this 196 times.

Why do this 196 times? We will get to it we aren't done with the basic mechanics yet.

Blue Mage can only set a certain number of spells from all it knows. Spells have a cost and a maximum of 20 spells can be set regardless of cost. Your basic Blue mage will start with 60 Blue magic points at level 99 and with Job Points invested will have a cap of 80. For our example Wild Oats costs 3 points. Visaria can use 19 more spells with a total value of 77 points. The highest level spells cost 8 points max and the special 18 I mentioned cost 0 and don't take a slot.

So what does a spell do? Well the spell does what it does. Examples include a physical single target blunt attack, a physical multiple hit single target blunt attack, a physical AoE blunt attack, an AoE wind magic attack, a dark single target magic attack... I can't go over every spell. I will shout out a bunch of special ones later.

So we have 196 and 100 of them seem to do jack poo poo. Why do we need them?

First when you set a spell you get stats from that spell. Wild Oats gives 1 Charisma and 10 HP. Mind Blast gives 1 Mind and 5 MP. Dark Orb gives 2 Agility and 2 Mind. You get the idea. These stats are neat and cool but they aren't what you build around. Certain spells pair with each other if enough spells are paired of their type the give you a trait, extra spells of that type make the trait stronger. Blue Mage also has two Job Traits that boost the level of these combo traits by one each.

Blue mage can get up to Dual Wield 6 this way, no one else can.

Some of these traits include:

Attack Bonus 6 (Dark Knight gets 8, Warrior 3, Dragoon 2)
Store TP 5 (Samurai also has 5)
Triple Attack (Only Thief gets this)
Skillchain Bonus 5 (Dancer gets 5, Samurai 3, Monk and Ninja 2)
Fast Cast 4 (Red Mage gets 5, everyone else is stuck at 2 with Red as a Sub and 3 at Master levels)
Magic Attack Bonus 6 (Black Mage gets 6, Red Mage gets 3)
Dual Wield 6 (Ninja and Dancer cap at 5, Thief at 4)
Treasure Hunter (Only Thief gets this)
Conserve MP 5 (Geomancer gets 7, Black Mage 3, Scholar 2)

So. Yeah.

While you can get Dual Wield 6, 3 is enough. You can do this with 8 Trait points and 1200 Job Points total for that +2 trait tier. As an example we can set Molting Plumage for 6 Blue points which gives 8 Trait points towards Dual Wield. Another option is Mortal Ray for 4 Blue points and Barbed Crescent for 2 Blue points(calling it BP from now on...) which give 4 and 4 Dual Wield points for a total of 8.

Barbed Crescent gives -3 STR +4 DEX
Mortal Ray gives +2 STR +2 MND
Molting Plumage gives +8 AGI

We will go with Molting as it is a nice wind cone attack with a pretty fast cast time and that AGI is nice for certain Weapon Skills. Also it only uses one spell slot instead of two.

And with that one spell we have effectively gotten Ninja as our Sub Job for the purpose most people use Ninja as a Sub Job. Blue is real cool.

Oh boy... We have a lot left...

Rolanberry Fields(Nanaa Mihgo's Ver)

So building around powerful Traits is fun but you also want useful spells.

Erratic Flutter - 5 minute self Haste 2 (6 BP +15 HP +15 MP +5 AGI +5 CHR)[Fast Cast 8 Points]
Nature's Meditation - 90 second self +20% Attack (6 BP +6 DEX)[Accuracy Bonus 8 Points]
Battery Charge - 5 minute self Refresh(3 BP +1 MND +10 MP)
Barrier Tusk - 3 minute reduce damage taken by 15% after gear, if at the 50% cap it goes to 57.5% reduction. (3 BP +15 HP -15 MP +3 VIT)[Max HP Boost 4 Points]
Cocoon - 90 second self 50% defense increase(1 BP +3 Vit)
Magic Fruit - Cure 4 (3 BP +1 CHR +5 HP)[Resist Sleep 4 Points]
Exuviation - Self remove one "Erase"able debuff and heals a little(4 BP +5 HP/MP +1 CHR)[Resist Sleep 4 Points]
White Wind - AoE Heal based off your max HP 7 second cast time (5 BP +5 HP +1 AGI)[Auto Regen 4 Points]
Occultation - For 5 minutes you gain up to 12 shadows depending on your Blue magic skill, these get wiped off by AoE(3 BP +3 VIT -2 CHR)[Evasion Bonus 4 Points]
Memento Mori - For one minute self +20 Magic Attack Bonus(4 BP +1 INT)[Magic Attack Bonus 4 Points]

Hoofa. There's some good stuff in there. But hey it all only effects you!

Diffusion is a level 75 merited Blue Mage ability with a 10 minute cooldown. With max Merit points invested it increases the duration of a buff by 25% and makes it AoE. You will not use it on the above spells. You will use it on Mighty Guard.

Mighty Guard - One of those 18 special spells. To use these spells you must first cast Unbridled Learning which has a 5 minute cooldown.

For three minutes Mighty Guard does the following:

Defense +25%
Magic Defense Bonus +15
Regen +30 HP/tick
Magical haste +15%

It stacks with every buff and fully geared with Diffusion lasts a little over 5 minutes.

Moving along lets talk Tank. So above you saw massive amounts of shadows and defense buffs, that is super cool but a Tank needs enmity to Tank.

Jettatura - Conal Gaze that inflicts fear, even if it doesn't fear it adds 180 Cumulative and 1020 Volatile enmity, 2 minute cooldown.
Blank Gaze - Single target magic dispel gaze, 10 second cooldown, adds 320 Cumulative and 320 Volatile enmity.
Geist Wall - AoE dispel with a 30 second cooldown, adds 320 Cumulative and 320 Volatile enmity.
Sheep Song - AoE sleep, 1 minute cooldown, adds 320 Cumulative and 320 Volatile enmity.

To give a quick comparison your normal Tank single target Flash has a 45 second cooldown and gives 180 Cumulative and 1280 Volatile enmity.

I'm being handed a note... Sub Job Blue Mage can use all of these and Cocoon(and Cure 3 I guess). The traits from all this are less than great and a Sub Blue can't use a lot of spells but in this day and age Sub Blue is one of if not the best Tank Sub Job for every Tank.

Now the problem Blue has with the Tank role is gear. Your gear is not made to Tank with and as such you can't get the big damage reduction numbers to make you not die a horrible death. If you are getting hit it is in short bursts with your shadows on and you will quickly use a spell in that time to petrify or terror anything slapping you.

Healing is probably your weakest area. You have debuff removal but an actual healer is going to be better for it due to huge cooldowns and MP costs. Your best single target Cure is only Cure 4 which has a longer cast time but costs slightly less MP, it has a 2 second lower cooldown than normal Cure 4 as well. Normal Cure 4 can be used by a Sub Red or White Mage and there is a good chance you'll have Sub Red. Your AoE healing is basically a Curaga 3 with a longer cast time and double the cooldown. In a pinch this is fine but you won't normally go into a fight with the AoE healing stuff set.

Man what a wild update. Wait! I haven't talked about damage at all! The actual real role of the Job! Frick! Let's Do that!

Jeuno(Nanaa Mihgo's Ver)

Uhhh okay. With your broken rear end Traits you slap on two swords or two clubs if you are casting magic. Those are your only two weapons. Set all your traits how you want them you can't swap in combat.

Buff up. If you are fighting something weak to a specific damage type like blunt work some blunt skills in or fire spells for something weak to fire. You have a ton of AoE to chose from if you are grinding, a lot of it crowd controls even.

Now here comes the unique part.

Chain Affinity - 2 minute cooldown, uses all your TP on your next Blue physical damage spell. The spell gains extra damage and a Skillchain property based on the spell used. In other words every 2 minutes your Blue magic is a Weapon Skill now. This can be done below 1000 TP and acts like you had 1000 for damage calculations.

Efflux - 3 minute cooldown, increase the base damage of the next physical spell by 50% and treat it like it was used at 1000 TP without using your TP. It can be used with Chain Affinity to use up your TP but also add 1000 to the value(the cap is still 3000). Empyrean armor and a cape boosts this effect up to 2050 TP.

Yes every single frickin' spell has a main stat scale value and different property. You thought the normal Skillchain chart was bad... Hoofa.

But what about magic?

Burst Affinity - 2 minute cooldown, increase the damage of the next spell cast and that spell can be use to Magic Burst.

Convergence - 10 minute cooldown, your next AoE spell is single target and does extra damage and is more accurate.

Great what do the one hours look like?

Azure Lore - For 30 seconds physical spells act like they have 3500 TP while not consuming TP. You can do Skillchains and Magic Bursts with your spells as much as you want champ.

Unbridled Wisdom - For one minute use the Unbridled Learning spells as much as you drat well like.

Ninja explodes itself and dies with it's one hour and Blue does this crap! Blue's Self Destruct brings you to 1 HP and gives you a 5 minute debuff. Final Sting brings you to 1 HP and doesn't give the debuff! I'm in so much pain!

Okay I'm gonna leave you with some of my favorite spells...

(No I'm not, there is more after this. Got ya!)

Tenebral Crush - AoE Dark damage to enemies and -20% defense down. (8 BP MP +30 VIT +4 INT +4 MND +4)[Magic Accuracy Bonus 8 Points]
Entomb - AoE Earth damage and petrify. (8 BP MP +30 VIT +8)[Defense Bonus 8 Points]
Silent Storm - AoE Wind damage and 5 minute silence. (8 BP MP +30 AGI +8)[Evasion Bonus 8 Points]

Notice a pattern yet?

Anvil Lightning - AoE Lightning damage and stun. (8 BP MP +30 DEX +8)[Accuracy Bonus 8 Points]
Scouring Spate - AoE Water damage and 20% attack down. (8 BP MP+30, MND+8)[Magic Defense Bonus 8 Points]
Spectral Floe - AoE Ice damage and terror. (8 BP INT +8 MP +30)[Magic Attack Bonus 8 Points]
Searing Tempest - AoE Fire damage and Burn{-63 INT and 30/HP per tick}(8 BP MP +30 STR +8)[Attack Bonus 8 Points]
Sinker Drill - Physical 5 hit piercing single target damage. (6 BP STR +4 DEX +4 VIT +4)[Critical Attack Bonus 8 Points]
Subduction - 0.5 second cast time AoE Wind damage that inflicts -76% movement speed for only 27 MP. (6 BP MP +25 VIT +6 INT +6)[Magic Attack Bonus 8 Points]
Everyone's Grudge - Single target heavy Dark damage(4 BP INT +2 MND +2 STR -1 VIT -1)[Gil Finder/Treasure Hunter 6 Points]
Magic Hammer - On anything not undead: deal damage and recover that damage as MP. (4 BP MP -5 MND +2)[Magic Attack Bonus 4 Points]
Uproot - Unbridled Spell, AoE Light damage and removes all your debuffs.
Thrashing Assault - Physical 5 hit single target slashing damage(7 BP HP +20 DEX +8)[Double Attack / Triple Attack 8 Points]
Saurian Slide - Physical single target slashing damage with a -25% attack debuff. (7 BP HP +50 VIT +6 INT -3)[Inquartata{parry} 8 Points]
Harden Shell - Unbridled Spell, for 90 seconds +100% defense

Whew. I'm probably missing one... What's your favorite? Comment below!

Bustle of the Capital(Nanaa Mihgo's Ver)

I know what someone is probably thinking: "This is way too much for me to keep track of, I can't play a Blue Mage...".

We have lovely THIRD PARTY TOOLS to help you with all this!

First the AzureSets Addon lets you save sets of spells you have equipped to quickly unset and reset spells through a macro for a set. Doing this by hand takes a hot minute with all the spells you use. Also when you set a spell you can't instantly use it, you'll need to wait for a brief period before you can go fight. The faster you reset your spells the sooner you and everyone else gets back to whatever you all were doing.

Second we have BluGuide. This Addon lets you see a list of every spell, what it costs to set, and what it gives. You can also click right on the spell and set it, set spells will be lit up and the level of trait you have will be lit up. This also shows the value of what the trait gives so you know the difference between Attack Boost 1 and 2.

Gearswap as always exists, extensive macros also work.

And now to be completely transparent: I will not be doing heavy Blue building going forward. If I had to label myself with a Job that is my main over the years it would be Pup, Cor, Blue, and Dancer in that order. I've built so many Blue sets. I've made Blue gearswaps. Visaria even has every basic Blue Mage Job armor just from random farming for other things. It haunts me. I can't do it all again just like I can't build Pup again(we will eventually get that hell post like this one). Time is a huge factor in this, forgive me. The people clearly crave Blue Mage. Savor the time we have together here in Aht Urhgan.

Blue Mage is fun as hell. If you are ever interested in playing this game and want to be able to do anything on a single Job. Blue. If you want to solo things, like not even having to involve Trusts solo things. Blue. If you want to understand why YoshiP slapped Blue in the face and kicked it from the heavens, this is why. Just scroll up there is so much to this Job and after you touch it every other Blue Mage not named Jack is just pathetic compared to this. This is the peak of Final Fantasy 11 Job design and somehow this isn't the strongest Job. How wild is that? You have access to almost everything and you aren't the best at any of it. You are adaptable, that is your greatest strength and you do something entirely different from Red Mage somehow. I guess you are also the best Tank Sub Job in most cases. Good for you Blue.

Next time: Tea I guess?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Pup (we will eventually get that hell post like this one)

:yeshaha:

Anyway that was an awesome write-up. I never played BLU other than getting it to 50 (and getting every spell possible at that level for some reason) to sub for my PLD, which I never really used aside from random Odyssey bosses where subjobs are locked anyway so what was I doing?!? I played extensively with an amazing BLU who could literally do anything (:love: u Cyrite) so I've seen its awesomeness in action.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out the amazing other instances of Blue Mages in the series:

FFV: I think this is my most played version of the job. You get it at the beginning of the game and it becomes very powerful pretty early on. All the character sprites look great.
FFVI: Strago is a kooky old guy which is fun, but the spells are mostly meh. Aqua Rake does hit water weakness which is nice, but otherwise just spam Ultima instead. Gau is kind of a Blue Mage and has a lot of very useful Rages in WoB, but doing enemy moves causes you to lose control of him which gets tiresome pretty quickly.
FFVII: Enemy Skill materia is rad and lets you do a lot of cool poo poo. I like its flexibility and I usually give it to Red XIII.
FFVIII: Quistis is a bad teacher and a bad Blue Mage. She can only use her spells during Limit Break. Moving on.
FFIX: Quina's spells are pretty good. They learn them by eating mobs, represented by gigantic spinning cutlery around the enemy, which is obviously amazing.
FFX: Kimahri is even worse than Quistis.
FFX-2: Honestly it's been so long since I've played X-2 that I don't remember if Gun Mage is cool or not.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but Quina owns bones, don't @ me

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I didn't even know to anticipate the PUP post as much as the BLU post. Back in my day :corsair: PUP was a joke. I know it's better now though, and it was always cool as hell even when it sucked.

And yeah, given the way the devs try to balance FF14, there is absolutely no loving shot of implementing Blue Mage in a satisfying way in that game compared to how FF11 works. I feel like having it be a limited job and siloed off from current content, but full of the goofy poo poo people expect from BLU, was the far better option.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What?! Blue Mages are weak at healing? Heretical! Every Blue Mage should know White Wind(or its local equivalent) and it should be OP enough to make your Cleric/Priest class almost completely irrelevant for healing.

Also, I'm gonna say this isn't the most merciless form of Blue Magery found in games. In Guild Wars, there were elite skills you could only learn by stealing them from enemies when they used them. Which meant that you had to replace one of your eight active skills with a special skill-stealing ability, navigate to a place in what was usually a pretty tough area and then fight a nasty elite enemy, get it to use its skill and then time your use of your skill-stealing ability perfectly to yoink it.

They eventually made it so you just had to kill the elites and THEN you could steal it off their corpse with 100% reliability. But I earned more or less every elite in the game the hard way before they did that.

Bregor posted:

FFIX: Quina's spells are pretty good. They learn them by eating mobs, represented by gigantic spinning cutlery around the enemy, which is obviously amazing.

Also as much as I love Quina and as good as some of the Blue spells are in FF9, the whole "you have no idea how much HP they have, knock them down to a quarter(or an eighth? I forget which), then use Eat and you get the skill. also you have no idea what enemies teach what skills since the skills you learn from them are not the skills they use"-bit was just pure suffering.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I gave up on BLU when I got to like level 10 (pre-exp buff era) without learning a single spell. :v:

Also I like this track for reading in-lore articles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP4svGh4Wh4

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
FFV BLU trivialises a few bosses (Sandworm dies instantly, Archaeoavis form 2 is a level multiple of 5) and then gets into silly shenanigans with Dark Spark and Level 2 Old. Enemy Skill in VII breaks all of Disc 1 and a good chunk of Disc 2 if you get Beta. Quistis is honestly fine given you can limit break every turn, but outside of Degenerator she's not super good for utility and other limits will do more. Quina can blow up every boss on the first two discs with Limit Glove. Kimahri sucks but Gun Mage gets Heaven's Cataract which is very powerful for how early it is.

But none of them ever tops XI BLU.

And the less said about XIV's the better, but I will chime in here;

Chillgamesh posted:

And yeah, given the way the devs try to balance FF14, there is absolutely no loving shot of implementing Blue Mage in a satisfying way in that game compared to how FF11 works. I feel like having it be a limited job and siloed off from current content, but full of the goofy poo poo people expect from BLU, was the far better option.

It still can't do most of the wacky poo poo, even with being glorified side content. All the good spells (any fractional damage, most of the good statuses) don't actually work on anything you'd want them to work on, even though there are literally no stakes because it's all content one expansion old. It's dumb. They said they wanted to enable the power fantasy and then... nerfed the power fantasy anyway.

PurpleXVI posted:

Also as much as I love Quina and as good as some of the Blue spells are in FF9, the whole "you have no idea how much HP they have, knock them down to a quarter(or an eighth? I forget which), then use Eat and you get the skill. also you have no idea what enemies teach what skills since the skills you learn from them are not the skills they use"-bit was just pure suffering.

Atomos/Demi is a fine solution to this problem honestly. It pretty much tells you how much HP something has.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Atomos/Demi is a fine solution to this problem honestly. It pretty much tells you how much HP something has.

My experience with anything in FF games that isn't pure damage(status effects, HP halving, etc.) is that either it simply never works, or you need a strategy guide to know what enemies it will arbitrarily sometimes work on, so honestly it never occurred to me to even bother.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PurpleXVI posted:

My experience with anything in FF games that isn't pure damage(status effects, HP halving, etc.) is that either it simply never works, or you need a strategy guide to know what enemies it will arbitrarily sometimes work on, so honestly it never occurred to me to even bother.

Yeah but you can't eat bosses anyway, with one notable exception. Statuses are usually fine on random enemies in these games.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I mean you won't actually be able to create a fun bossfight in XIV if players can just blow it up with Level 5 Death or chain Freeze/Petrify it. You still have fun stuff like Diamondback and White Wind to use, as well as phenomenally powerful nukes like Nightbloom and Final Sting. You can still use the "instantly delete/negate enemy" type spells on dungeon trash. Personally I have a lot of fun soloing dungeons to learn new spells and blowing up all the trash waves between bosses with Ultravibes or Missile.

XI BLU can exist in XI because there's no automated party finder, the combat system is extremely archaic and limited, and players have accepted that there's always going to be a certain degree of class imbalance. If you wanted XI BLU to exist in XIV, you would basically need to create an entirely new queuing system specifically for Blue Mage that would require you to socket spells based on what role you were queuing as. That would mean if a new player picked up the game and decided they wanted to play Blue Mage instead of Warrior or Summoner or whatever, you would be asking them to continuously take breaks from MSQ in order to go track down a spell for them to learn. Furthermore, those skills would necessarily be in direct competition with those of the traditional jobs, so they couldn't really do anything too wild. Whereas, in XI, if you invite a Blue Mage to the party and they don't have a spell they need for the content they're about to take part in, you'd just kick them, and maybe they'd be upset but no one would disagree with you for doing it.

If your argument is that the strength is in the customization, I'd argue that customization in MMOs has basically always been an illusion - there's always an optimal build. The XIV devs have just made the decision to force everyone to play the optimal build. That's why Blue Mage can't exist as a regular job; It's always been about doing goofy poo poo like blowing yourself up or hitting everyone whose level is a multiple of 3 with reality-bending magic.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 18, 2024

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

What?! Blue Mages are weak at healing? Heretical! Every Blue Mage should know White Wind(or its local equivalent) and it should be OP enough to make your Cleric/Priest class almost completely irrelevant for healing.

Also, I'm gonna say this isn't the most merciless form of Blue Magery found in games. In Guild Wars, there were elite skills you could only learn by stealing them from enemies when they used them. Which meant that you had to replace one of your eight active skills with a special skill-stealing ability, navigate to a place in what was usually a pretty tough area and then fight a nasty elite enemy, get it to use its skill and then time your use of your skill-stealing ability perfectly to yoink it.

They eventually made it so you just had to kill the elites and THEN you could steal it off their corpse with 100% reliability. But I earned more or less every elite in the game the hard way before they did that.

Okay so White Wind would be good if the cast time was faster. The formula is (max hp/7)*2 which is a Curaga 3 and maybe 4 with the right gear, not bad but a White Mage is just built better for it and doesn't have to use up spell points for it. Personally I always carry around Magic Fruit which is Cure 4 on Blue. As long as you can Magic Hammer something you have unlimited MP which is Blue's main healing use imo.

Chillgamesh posted:

I didn't even know to anticipate the PUP post as much as the BLU post. Back in my day :corsair: PUP was a joke. I know it's better now though, and it was always cool as hell even when it sucked.

Pup is one of(this is the Pup main talking: the best tank in any case that allows it) the strongest tanks as long as you don't have to deal with threat wipes or status effects that stop the Puppet. Multiple Pups are extremely strong and can do disgusting things.

The Cor and Pup write up will probably be the same post.

Kazy posted:

I gave up on BLU when I got to like level 10 (pre-exp buff era) without learning a single spell. :v:

Also I like this track for reading in-lore articles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP4svGh4Wh4

Starting from now on every Job has an article. Finding them is a nightmare.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

I mean you won't actually be able to create a fun bossfight in XIV if players can just blow it up with Level 5 Death or chain Freeze/Petrify it. You still have fun stuff like Diamondback and White Wind to use, as well as phenomenally powerful nukes like Nightbloom and Final Sting. You can still use the "instantly delete/negate enemy" type spells on dungeon trash. Personally I have a lot of fun soloing dungeons to learn new spells and blowing up all the trash waves between bosses with Ultravibes or Missile.

XI BLU can exist in XI because there's no automated party finder, the combat system is extremely archaic and limited, and players have accepted that there's always going to be a certain degree of class imbalance. If you wanted XI BLU to exist in XIV, you would basically need to create an entirely new queuing system specifically for Blue Mage that would require you to socket spells based on what role you were queuing as. That would mean if a new player picked up the game and decided they wanted to play Blue Mage instead of Warrior or Summoner or whatever, you would be asking them to continuously take breaks from MSQ in order to go track down a spell for them to learn. Furthermore, those skills would necessarily be in direct competition with those of the traditional jobs, so they couldn't really do anything too wild. Whereas, in XI, if you invite a Blue Mage to the party and they don't have a spell they need for the content they're about to take part in, you'd just kick them, and maybe they'd be upset but no one would disagree with you for doing it.

If your argument is that the strength is in the customization, I'd argue that customization in MMOs has basically always been an illusion - there's always an optimal build. The XIV devs have just made the decision to force everyone to play the optimal build. That's why Blue Mage can't exist as a regular job; It's always been about doing goofy poo poo like blowing yourself up or hitting everyone whose level is a multiple of 3 with reality-bending magic.

I understand why some people like XIV but the gameplay experience just always felt a bit too curated. The more or less total absence of sharp corners or ways to do anything "wrong" or sub-optimally just... took some magic out of the experience for me. I guess I've come to the realization that I want games to hurt me a bit, and sometimes I want games to hurt me a lot, because it provides that sense of deep satisfaction when the shoe is on the other foot and I'm mugging them in a dark alleyway because I've figured out how they work.

I'm sad that XI is a subscription MMO off its peak, because I feel like if I'd gotten into it when it had been at peak, and it hadn't been a subscription MMO, it would've been like shooting heroin right into my eyeballs.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Oh for sure, I definitely see the weakness in the XIV design philosophy. It has a ton of strengths too, but I can totally understand how those strengths might not compensate for the weaknesses for some players.

Fat and Useless posted:

Pup is one of(this is the Pup main talking: the best tank in any case that allows it) the strongest tanks as long as you don't have to deal with threat wipes or status effects that stop the Puppet. Multiple Pups are extremely strong and can do disgusting things.

That's really funny to me. I actually have no idea what the tank situation is like in endgame XI content now, back when I played it was basically just Ninja, Paladin which was strictly worse if you didn't have Aegis and strictly superior if you did, and then gimmicky poo poo like Red Mage and outright bad options like Warrior.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Chillgamesh posted:

If you wanted XI BLU to exist in XIV, you would basically need to create an entirely new queuing system specifically for Blue Mage that would require you to socket spells based on what role you were queuing as. That would mean if a new player picked up the game and decided they wanted to play Blue Mage instead of Warrior or Summoner or whatever, you would be asking them to continuously take breaks from MSQ in order to go track down a spell for them to learn. Furthermore, those skills would necessarily be in direct competition with those of the traditional jobs, so they couldn't really do anything too wild. Whereas, in XI, if you invite a Blue Mage to the party and they don't have a spell they need for the content they're about to take part in, you'd just kick them, and maybe they'd be upset but no one would disagree with you for doing it.

My conception of BLU in XIV would have been as an "Advanced Job" rather than a Limited Job -- basically you'd warn the player before embarking that this job is unusually demanding and requires more effort than regular jobs. Solo would be all the silly things we have nowadays. Being able to queue for Duty Finder would require you to have certain spells, or you just couldn't -- and actually queueing would lock you into a pre-set list of spells for the role you're queueing for. That would be the advantage for the cost, though: you'd be able to queue as all roles, depending on your preference.

Freedom in solo and undersized parties, parity with existing jobs in Duty Finder content. None of the silly spells would be available in Duty content but you can play with them all you want in the same conditions as you can now.

PurpleXVI posted:

I understand why some people like XIV but the gameplay experience just always felt a bit too curated. The more or less total absence of sharp corners or ways to do anything "wrong" or sub-optimally just... took some magic out of the experience for me. I guess I've come to the realization that I want games to hurt me a bit, and sometimes I want games to hurt me a lot, because it provides that sense of deep satisfaction when the shoe is on the other foot and I'm mugging them in a dark alleyway because I've figured out how they work.

This is how I feel about it. I always genuinely struggle to get excited about new XIV jobs, because there's functionally only really four classes in XIV; melee, ranged, healer and tank. All the jobs are just varying coats of paint on those same basic kits. A new job in XI could turn the entire game meta on its head, and even if you don't main it there are subjob applications; the XIV dev team goes to extreme pains to not let any of their jobs be very different from each other.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

XI BLU sounds crazy, maybe even too crazy for me the BLU lover. Completionism is a drug and considering how hard it seems to be to learn all the spells, never mind deciding on the right ones to slot, it might just be too much for little old me. I still like XIV's BLU though, even if it is limited it's still fun to challenge myself to solo at-content dungeons to learn spells from them. I wish there was a blue-ty finder to do random stuff with folks and get that log filled but I recognize that it's not really compatible with their philosophy. That's okay though. I'm not quite as endeared with being raked over the coals, myself, though some friction is obviously good. I think I appreciate it being in fight design rather than in job complexity.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Alxprit posted:

XI BLU sounds crazy, maybe even too crazy for me the BLU lover. Completionism is a drug and considering how hard it seems to be to learn all the spells, never mind deciding on the right ones to slot, it might just be too much for little old me. I still like XIV's BLU though, even if it is limited it's still fun to challenge myself to solo at-content dungeons to learn spells from them. I wish there was a blue-ty finder to do random stuff with folks and get that log filled but I recognize that it's not really compatible with their philosophy. That's okay though. I'm not quite as endeared with being raked over the coals, myself, though some friction is obviously good. I think I appreciate it being in fight design rather than in job complexity.

I'm not kidding about Mind Blast by the way. Thief friend Varisele got it first try like a month ago and I've never gotten it, ever. Mighty Guard is the real toughie, you have ONE chance to get it easily and unlike anything else it super hurts if you don't have it. That bridge will get crossed eventually.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

That's really funny to me. I actually have no idea what the tank situation is like in endgame XI content now, back when I played it was basically just Ninja, Paladin which was strictly worse if you didn't have Aegis and strictly superior if you did, and then gimmicky poo poo like Red Mage and outright bad options like Warrior.

RDM/NIN was a very powerful thing back in 75-cap, I tanked plenty of endgame stuff with both PLD and RDM/NIN and the latter was much more effective against a single boss. You basically give up any damage/crowd control options for Fast Cast Utsusemi, but your debuffs as enmity tools were just as effective as what PLD and NIN could do if not moreso.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

A new job in XI could turn the entire game meta on its head, and even if you don't main it there are subjob applications; the XIV dev team goes to extreme pains to not let any of their jobs be very different from each other.

They basically did this with the Adoulin jobs, different situational tanking with Rune Fencer and borderline mandatory buffing/debuffing with Geomancer. The devs seem to go with what is cool and unique about new jobs more and worry about balance later. This has led to some different eras of party mechanics and damage dealing. Old schoolers will remember Monk burns and Ranger burns and the like. But they usually balance it out pretty well in time, or just release content that severely nerfs a powerful job like Odyssey does with Geomancer bubbles.

Fat and Useless posted:

Puppetmaster rules and low-manning all sorts of stuff with multiple PUPs was some of the most fun I had when I re-subbed during the pandemmer. Can't wait for that write-up. :getin:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 105: Undercover

Bustle of the Capital

I've learned that I messed up. Anyway let's go down the list.

I mean come on...

You could have at least worn a helmet.

I find comfort in the fact that Naja will eventually make him break down in tears in front of me.

Anyway looks like I'm playing messenger; my house where I keep all my junk is still in San d'Oria.

Huh. Naja wasn't doing a bit then. Umm anyway it definitely isn't from Trion.

Look man, I think we are just trying to prevent a diplomatic incident.

This is going to end with the whole kingdom trying to figure out what he wrote, isn't it?

I'm going back to Naja now.

This hurts me deeply.

I left my cat on the stove and need to really get back now.

!!!

Oh boy...

You can't miss him.

Aww... I'll make sure Naja doesn't kill him.

I feel the Queen Visaria odds suddenly rising again.

Well have fun with this diplomatic nightmare everyone.

What the hell does my contract say about this?

Next time: The war room.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chillgamesh posted:

Oh for sure, I definitely see the weakness in the XIV design philosophy. It has a ton of strengths too, but I can totally understand how those strengths might not compensate for the weaknesses for some players.

Yeah everything has a strength now even stuff like Warrior that seems like the most vanilla rear end Job. As for the tank situation Rune and Paladin are both considered the real tanks, Rune is more offensive and Paladin is more heal focused. They both heavily rely on their hard to make equipment(like Aegis). Dodge/Shadow tanks can do some modern fights but they really took a beating after the era of Samurai Ninja shenanigans. Tank Pup is for when you need to break the rules and involves minimal gear compared to Rune or Paladin. I can tank on Dancer but I wouldn't recommend it for the same reason you can't reliably tank on all things that aren't Pup/Paladin/Rune, the defensive gear just doesn't exist at ilvl for you to survive a long period against a lot of bosses. But hey, that doesn't mean that you can't do some end game fights with a Dark just using life steal to tank or the Red Mage 1 damage weapon enspell shenanigans.

A fun thing that has happened in recent times is Beastmaster party healing with Wild Carrot. If you find a like minded set of nerds you can be whatever the hell you want to be, optimal be damned.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Trion is Vana'diel's dimmest nepo baby. And I mean dim in the mental sense, he very much is not dim in the piss armor set.

Also sweet mother of Altana the Elvaans never shut up do they? Very much an, "I ain't reading all that" situation.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Bregor posted:

Trion is Vana'diel's dimmest nepo baby. And I mean dim in the mental sense, he very much is not dim in the piss armor set.

Also sweet mother of Altana the Elvaans never shut up do they? Very much an, "I ain't reading all that" situation.

From here on out there is a ton of text in the expansions. Please enjoy the next 80 Treasures updates I just finished sorting yesterday.

Chains had 76 updates total.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 22, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love some of these character moments.

"Oh, yeah, this HAS to be from the Prince, it's written like a 3-year-old scribbling with a piece of coal. Someone summon the translators so we can figure out what the gently caress he's on about."

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I'd like you all to know after a failed tooth extraction I built up enough self hate to run up Parradamo Tor again on a Bard alt.

New update tonight probably. Thread choices happen soon again, be prepared.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

:getin:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 106: Espionage

Yeah. It's me again.

I'll be honest I'm putting up with this partly because my house is on the line but mainly I'm doing it for the information I can gain on the Astral Candescence since access to it is beyond me and forcing my way to it would end poorly for me.

Hrmmm...

I begin explaining how you have to specifically fold Naja's clothes the right way or she makes you do it again. I have a hunch it is arbitrary as one time I didn't refold some pants and they passed reinspection.

Oh boy, you know it's bad if it comes to this.

Of all the things I've seen the Gordeus seems like the most important.

Yep! Not even the Empress gets to mess with it apparently.

Man...

Yaaaaaaaay... 10 Imperial Bronze Pieces... That's like 2 months of locker privileges.

Next time: I'm a puppet now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm always happy when Shantotto is on screen. Doctor Pipe Bomb is my favourite NPC.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 107: A Master Of Puppets

On my way back to Aht Urhgan I spotted this old gent with a little friend. I've seen a handful of them in the Near East but have never inquired what exactly they are.

Adorable.

Hmm. I bet I could strap guns to one... You think I could work a puppet too?

I've got so many Jobs, why not add another one on the pile?

Whatever gets me closer to a little war machine of my own!

Well that makes going back not hurt as much.

This sulking little runt is my teacher? He doesn't even have a puppet...

Anyway the old man sent me to learn puppets. Teach me.

I've never seen a Goblin without a mask... What do they actually look like?

I'm not leaving without a puppet that I can cry into after Naja cuts my pay again. It will pat my head and tell me everything is okay and get me chai and cookies and I'll strap weapons to it.

Guess I'm going to the puppet store!

I'm dead set on this now.

Find an old puppet, got it.

Already on it!

Let's see... Lamia, check! Old important looking crates, check!

Mission accomplished! Didn't even need to go through the locked door.

From this point forward we live in a world of wait a day to continue. I'd say take a shot every time it happens but I don't want to kill anyone.

Anyway I timed it so the day was nearly about to turn over. It doesn't take Ghatsad that long if he's feeling real productive it turns out.

It felt like no wait at all! Thanks!

I'll just take the puppet instructions for today...

True. I could go to my house and swap my Job at any time, but I can't control it.

It stood up! Neat!

Thanks! I can't wait to read the included user manual and figure out all the things this thing can do!

But it does need a name... I'm sure one will pop into my head.

Next time: Back to work(?)

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Okay y'all time for reader input! I need YOU dear reader to pick a name for our new puppet. I will choose from the list you wonderful let's play enjoyers make with the fairest and most scientific method possible!

Plaisantin.....Loustic.....Histrion.....Bobeche.....Bougrion.....Rouleteau.....Allouette.....Serenade

Ficelette.....Tocadie.....Caprice.....Foucade.....Capillotte.....Quenotte.....Pacotille.....Comedie

Kagekiyo.....Toraoh.....Genta.....Kintoki.....Koumei.....Pamama.....Lobo.....Tsukushi.....Oniwaka

Kenbishi.....Hannya.....Mashira.....Nadeshiko.....E100.....Koume.....X-32.....Poppo.....Asuka.....Tournefoux

Sakura.....Tao.....Mao.....Gadget.....Marion.....Widget.....Quirk.....Sprocket.....Cogette.....Lecter

Coppelia.....Sparky.....Clank.....Calcobrena.....Crackle.....Ricochet.....Josette.....Fritz.....Skippy

Pino.....Mandarin.....Jackstraw.....Guignol.....Moppet.....Nutcracker.....Erwin.....Otto.....Gustav

Muffin.....Xaver.....Toni.....Ina.....Gerda.....Petra.....Verena.....Rosi.....Schatzi.....Warashi......Klingel

Clochette.....Campanello.....Kaiserin.....Principessa.....Butler.....Graf.....Caro.....Cara.....Mademoiselle

Herzog.....Tramp.....V-1000.....Hikozaemon.....Nine.....Acht.....Quattro.....Zero.....Dreizehn.....Seize

Fukusuke.....Mataemon.....Kansuke.....Polichinelle.....Tobisuke.....Sasuke.....Shijimi.....Chobi.....Aurelie

Magalie.....Aurore.....Caroline.....Andrea.....Machinette.....Clarine.....Armelle.....Reinette.....Dorlote

Turlupin.....Klaxon.....Bambino.....Potiron.....Fustige.....Amidon.....Machin.....Bidulon.....Tandem

Prestidige.....Purute-Porute.....Bito-Rabito.....Cocoa.....Totomo.....Centurion.....A7V.....Scipio.....Sentinel

Pioneer......Seneschal......Ginjin......Amagatsu.....Dolly.....Fantoccini.....Joe.....Kikizaru.....Whippet.....Chafouin

Punchinello.....Charlie.....Midge.....Petrouchka.....Schneider.....Ushabti.....Noel.....Yajirobe.....Hina.....Nora

Shoki.....Kobina.....Kokeshi.....Mame......Bishop.....Marvin.....Dora.....Data.....Robin.....Robby.....Luron

Porlo-Moperlo......Paroko-Puronko.....Pipima.....Gagaja.....Mobil.....Donzel.....Archer.....Shooter.....Drille

Stephen......Mk.IV......Conjurer.....Footman.....Tokotoko......Sancho.....Sarumaro......Picket.....Mushroom

Bold names have been picked already.

Whew! That's a lot of names to choose from! It took me longer to write that than the update! I'm sure you'll do me proud and pick some good ones for me. Naming will stop when I'm satisfied.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Lt. Commander Data must learn how to become human