Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I vote for Mushroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Otto the ottomaton :3:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Principessa because just because Visaria doesn't get to be a princess doesn't mean the puppet can't be.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Calcobrena.

Now the theme is in my head.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Guignol is good but Polichinelle is better.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Fat and Useless posted:

Okay y'all time for reader input! I need YOU dear reader to pick a name for our new puppet. I will choose from the list you wonderful let's play enjoyers make with the fairest and most scientific method possible!

Plaisantin.....Loustic.....Histrion.....Bobeche.....Bougrion.....Rouleteau.....Allouette.....Serenade

Ficelette.....Tocadie.....Caprice.....Foucade.....Capillotte.....Quenotte.....Pacotille.....Comedie

Kagekiyo.....Toraoh.....Genta.....Kintoki.....Koumei.....Pamama.....Lobo.....Tsukushi.....Oniwaka

Kenbishi.....Hannya.....Mashira.....Nadeshiko.....E100.....Koume.....X-32.....Poppo.....Asuka.....Tournefoux

Sakura.....Tao.....Mao.....Gadget.....Marion.....Widget.....Quirk.....Sprocket.....Cogette.....Lecter

Coppelia.....Sparky.....Clank.....Calcobrena.....Crackle.....Ricochet.....Josette.....Fritz.....Skippy

Pino.....Mandarin.....Jackstraw.....Guignol.....Moppet.....Nutcracker.....Erwin.....Otto.....Gustav

Muffin.....Xaver.....Toni.....Ina.....Gerda.....Petra.....Verena.....Rosi.....Schatzi.....Warashi......Klingel

Clochette.....Campanello.....Kaiserin.....Principessa.....Butler.....Graf.....Caro.....Cara.....Mademoiselle

Herzog.....Tramp.....V-1000.....Hikozaemon.....Nine.....Acht.....Quattro.....Zero.....Dreizehn.....Seize

Fukusuke.....Mataemon.....Kansuke.....Polichinelle.....Tobisuke.....Sasuke.....Shijimi.....Chobi.....Aurelie

Magalie.....Aurore.....Caroline.....Andrea.....Machinette.....Clarine.....Armelle.....Reinette.....Dorlote

Turlupin.....Klaxon.....Bambino.....Potiron.....Fustige.....Amidon.....Machin.....Bidulon.....Tandem

Prestidige.....Purute-Porute.....Bito-Rabito.....Cocoa.....Totomo.....Centurion.....A7V.....Scipio.....Sentinel

Pioneer......Seneschal......Ginjin......Amagatsu.....Dolly.....Fantoccini.....Joe.....Kikizaru.....Whippet.....Chafouin

Punchinello.....Charlie.....Midge.....Petrouchka.....Schneider.....Ushabti.....Noel.....Yajirobe.....Hina.....Nora

Shoki.....Kobina.....Kokeshi.....Mame......Bishop.....Marvin.....Dora.....Data.....Robin.....Robby.....Luron

Porlo-Moperlo......Paroko-Puronko.....Pipima.....Gagaja.....Mobil.....Donzel.....Archer.....Shooter.....Drille

Stephen......Mk.IV......Conjurer.....Footman.....Tokotoko......Sancho.....Sarumaro......Picket.....Mushroom

Whew! That's a lot of names to choose from! It took me longer to write that than the update! I'm sure you'll do me proud and pick some good ones for me. Naming will stop when I'm satisfied.

One or two more!

Bold names have been picked already.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 24, 2024

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
My main and alt both ran Puppetmaster, and their automatons' names were Data and Widget :3:

But for the sake of forums history I vote Caro

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Calcobrena.

Now the theme is in my head.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

The name has been picked and the update happens as soon as someone throws up a piece of leather I need for not 500,000 gil.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Puppet Stuff!

I need a name for my new puppet friend. Luckily some names popped into my head! How convenient!

1. Data
2. Mushroom
3. Otto
4. Principessa
5. Calcobrena
6. Polichinelle
7. Caro
8. Calcobrena (again)

So what am I suppose to do to pick one? Hmmm... HMMMM...

I know! Let's go to the race track and gamble!

8 Horse-birds race and one wins, perfect. Whichever number of the bird wins is, that's my name from the list above. Scientific. Fair. Beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AETN136AK7o

Great. Now that that is solved let's get it some weapons! After I level up!

-80 Levels Later-

Bustle of the Capital(Loop this for 9 hours straight for authenticity)

How bad could it be?

I'll just go down the list for simplicity. I can get all the frames right now with my level as it is.

Roughly 100k gil. Not bad. I'll go over what these frames can do when I have more time. I feel Naja is gonna be real steamed when I get back and I don't want to make it any worse by taking extra company time playing with puppets. I say this after going to the race track and signing off on being a spy.

Anyway I grab the stuff.

Each frame takes a day to make and we can pick them up at midnight.

Heh. Wonderful. This is the Tank body and Melee head. Anyway on to the next one.

So a note on the leather here specifically: in a stack of 12 it is being sold for 500,000 gil and individually they are 20,000 each. Of course when I went to do this there were no singles so I had to find Varisele and steal one off her because I refused to take a 280,000 gil loss. Everything else was around 20k each again.

-One Day Later-

Behold. I gave my child a gun.

This is the Physical damage body and Ranged head. Next!

Also about 100k.

-24 Hours Later-

Finally the Magic body and Red Mage head. Words will be said later on why these aren't used.

Well... What now?

Hmm. Maybe Ghatsad can do something with these?

We can do both but there is a gimmick to this set. White first.

So you only need the turban and scroll for this. The better the scroll the fewer days it takes.

Cure 5: 2-4 days
Regen: 3-4 days
Cure 2: 5 days

Regen is cheap and Cure 5 is expensive so we are going to be waiting here at least 3 days.

In addition every midnight that passes we need to caffeine Ghatsad up. These don't stack in my inventory.

If I don't he won't make progress.

Day 1.

Day 2.

Day 3. I got lucky on the days. This is the White Mage head which will not be used for healing.

Stone 4 was only 60k so I went ahead and got the good scroll.

-2 Moons Later-

Black Mage head. Rarely used but we have it and we are free(for now).

Okay. That's it. Wave goodbye for now Principessa.

-To be continued in: I'm Using A Whole Main Update To Explain Corsair and Puppetmaster-

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 27, 2024

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Puppetmaster is a cool Job idea. Kankuro was an underrated Naruto character. Also, that Chocobo was clearly on performance enhancing drugs :colbert:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Sanguinia posted:

Puppetmaster is a cool Job idea. Kankuro was an underrated Naruto character. Also, that Chocobo was clearly on performance enhancing drugs :colbert:

You'll be happy to know the second race I did #1 was first most of the race then dropped to dead last before #4 won. Never bet on 1 or 8.

And oh man oh man I can't wait to talk about the mechanics of the Job. I have to tell Varisele at least once a week "boy I sure could go for some Pup, it wouldn't even be bad to gear" before looking at my gil and the single piece of AF 3 armor that just took 7 million away from me.

And since chocobo racing will never be brought up again, yes you can raise and race your own chocobo with performance enhancing worms, greens, and items. I have never looked into it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

And since chocobo racing will never be brought up again, yes you can raise and race your own chocobo with performance enhancing worms, greens, and items. I have never looked into it.

Everyone has one piece of pointless side content that gives out no rewards at all but that they get REALLY into and obsess over anyway.

Chocobo racing was NOT that for me, but I'm sure it was someone's.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
omg puppet dressup. PUPPET DRESSUP.

FFXI is a work of art.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Aw, this is gonna make me miss my little automaton pals, isn't it? :3:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 108: Bad News

Turns out they don't take back left over coffee at the tea house...

Gah! Frickin' Ninjas!

Hmm Kagero was right it isn't a costume... Anyway he seems nice enough.

This feels like trouble...

Anxiety

Pfffft! Stop the flashback hang on. What the hell did you think would happen when I gave it to Halver? You royal doofus! You regal dolt! Goddess help me! Ahhh... Okay I'm good now.

Chateau d'Oraguille

Maybe I shouldn't have spent 8 days making puppet accessories...

Wait... I was suppose to be watching him! poo poo!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever-Turning Wheels

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bustle of the Capital

I'm so screwed.

*cough*Heleft*cough*

I'm sure it was important ma'am!

I was... busy? Ma'am.

I am going to kill Tenzen...

Focus Visaria, you've been through worse... You are here right now because you are an awful role model.

!!!

(I'm crying because I don't have to try and drag him out of San d'Oria...)

Next time: Back to Blue

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 29, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Naja is the beam of light this story needs when Shantotto isn't around.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Naja is the beam of light this story needs when Shantotto isn't around.

Mods?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The call is coming from inside the building!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

:3:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 109: Immortal

I get while the gettin's good. Mercenary life is but one path to knowledge of the Empire, I also have the Blue path. I don't exactly know which one is more dangerous but I do know I've been collecting Blue spells and need to progress in my training to fully utilize them.

Once again I gaze upon the tapestry fate has woven for me.

Ululations from Beyond

I have zero clue what he is talking about and I still don't grasp what they did to me. Still, I did this to myself in the end.

Perhaps I made a mistake.

I definitely made a mistake.

Well...

I'll start at Dvucca. I sure am glad I had the foresight to pick up all the staging points.

What is wrong with her?

Much like when I absorb a technique from a monster the Immortal casts a beastly spell on me infusing me with a tinge of power. This feels even more unnatural than the traditional method. It feels... I can feel it...

I can't believe I'm saying this but I liked it better when I felt nothing.

Azouph Isle staging point, a different type of unsettling Immortal.

Again, everything about this is abhorrent.

Mamool Ja next, I want this done with as soon as possible.

I'm not smiling. I need something normal so I'm heading to Halvung where I know that Immortal is sane.

This hurts like hell by the way.

Last is Ilrusi Atoll.

Not even a grit your teeth.

I don't know if she is the least or most sane. Anyway I'm done with my task.

What a pity.

I'm starting to hate forks in the road.

They are putting me to work now.

So "execution chamber" sounds bad, but honestly I'm more concerned it is in a volcano.

Impressive but come on, not inside a volcano.

Anywho it is just a flan, hit it with some magic and it falls over.

It took me longer to walk here than to deal with this.

poo poo...

I'll collect my armor another time. It's time to return to Naja and do my other job. Well one of my other jobs, what am I up to now four? Does being a pirate count?

Next time: Learning for fun and profit

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I like the idea that being a blue mage fucks you up on some fundamental level, either because you became a blue mage for the power and that's corrupting, because you've had to murder a lot of things to eat their essence and that leaves a mark, or simply because when you eat an enemy's skills, you also eat some other part of them that shuffles out or merges with a bit of the normal mortal part of you.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah, Blue Magic is not cutesy in this at all, it is a frankly horrifying act of self-mutilation.

But drat if it isn't effective.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 110: The Ruins Of Alzadaal

Sometime, Somewhere

I wonder if any of the other mercenary companies are as... I can't finish that thought.

Good, I'm broke after puppets and chocobos.

I understand completely.

I have to pay for this job out of pocket, don't I?

I think of the color blue.

Hrmmm...

If I have to ma'am.

*grumble*

Okay so there are multiple entrances into this place and they all cost a silver piece. If you've already been to the staging point inside the ruins you can simply teleport in for a fee as normal with a staging point. The inside is a big teleporter maze and sometimes it is just easier to pay the silver piece.

I've never shown it off but this is the teleporter.

Speaking of things I haven't shown off... On my way to Nashmaru the first time I had to take the ferry since I had a lack of zoops. I'm pretty sure the ruins you see in the water are the ruins I'll be heading to.

Giant and underwater. As impressive as they look outside; the inside is something else...

Yes the sea critters are walking through those windows... and yes being underwater like this is unsettling.

And yes this place puts the Zilart architecture to shame.

Look at it. The floors have clockwork like mechanisms. Everything is giant and ornate. It is easy to forget that these ruins are like an iceberg. What I saw on the surface was nothing.

Whew. I'm here for a job not sight seeing.

I mean LOOK at these teleporters! What the hell is this place?

Like what are these walls and pillars made of? It doesn't look like cermet...

Ululations from Beyond

Ah. My puppet shop pals!

(I am a nerd.)

Cool.

How about the pillars next?

(That makes no sense... Was this place built underwater to begin with if water pressure was taken into account? How? Why? There is no way this place could begin underwater...)

What about the floor?

(This place feels like a living machine. A giant puppet if you will...)

It's better to stop thinking about this anyway.

Oh?

Ever-Turning Wheels

That is not what I thought, no. This makes things a bit harder for me...

I... Hrm...

This isn't sitting right for some reason but I need access to those Astral Candescences.

Looks like I have fifth(sixth?) job now... Hunting for the treasures of Aht Urhgan.

Next time: Grabbing some armor

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The emblem on Ghatsad's apron is supposed to look like a ring but I keep seeing a hot dog.

also can we fight the big fish outside? C'mon tell me we get to fight a big fish.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
It would have been really funny if you could walk in with the BLU armor and have Naja react to the fact you apparently went and joined the Immortals.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 111: Transformations

I just hand in this envelope and get my armor, nice and simple. I feel like I say that a lot and it is never simple or nice.

Oh no no no no...

Really it's fine, I can wait.

(This is dire...)

Look I can at least drag him back here for you. I'm pretty good at that. Also I kinda want my armor.

Let's go find this craftsman before poor Lathuya here passes out.

Whispers of the Gods

I'm going to keep poking him til he stops ignoring me.

Are you the owner of Imperial Livery?

But I didn't... Look I have a Blue Mage order...

I mean you aren't wrong but... I have proof...

I'm leaving a poor review.

I'm livid.

I really hate when people call me that.

How absolutely baffling.

I'm pretty sure that means go to the palace.

Ever-Turning Wheels

No questions allowed. I have my orders.

Ululations from Beyond

Next time: The fate of the Blue Mage

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh hell yeah, are we about to get some body horror poo poo? Because I love some body horror poo poo.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I don't think she's going to take this one well.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 112: A Vessel Shattered

Forbidden Seal

Alright I'm looking for a soulflayer. Should be easy enough to spot... Has tentacles and refuses to give me Mind Blast.

The only things wandering around the non-assault areas of Nyzul are some Qiqirin thieves and some extremely high level floating gears.

I can start at the staging point so I don't waste my silver pieces.

Teleporter after teleporter... No sign of it. The palace wouldn't have summoned me for nothing, it has to be here.

There's an Immortal up ahead, he must be here searching too.

He seems to be in pain?

Could it be the soulflayer doing this? I don't see...

He flies off to another floor... What the hell...

Ever-Turning Wheels

That voice is familiar...

This keeps getting worse and worse...

I should kill every last one of you.

I can't undo the choice I have made and I can't go to war with the Empire over this. My life doesn't belong to me alone.

But my fate is in my own hands and I'll not submit quietly to the beast within.

Give me all the Magus armor you have.

I'll start with the gloves.

The materials are about 150k gil total.

Each piece takes a day to make.

Anyway the various pieces of armor are pretty clearly made from monster remains. I'm not going back until I have the whole set.

Not today.

I'm missing the pants and head piece.

Wonderful.

Nothing I can do about that right now, four pieces will have to do.

I let him do his work. In total the entire set was around 500,000 gil.

Thank you.

Next time: Visaria dyes her Blue Mage armor black

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 5, 2024

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Aht Urhgan is like the Twin Peaks of expansions, half unseen horrors and half campy soap opera.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

That way they won't know they're dealing with a Blue Mage. :ninja:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 113: The Beast Within

Forbidden Seal

Alright I'm looking for a soulflayer. Again.

He got worse while I was dealing with the armor it seems.

If there is anything left inside you that can understand this, I'm sorry.

He gives me my missing head piece and leaves me to seethe.

Would I answer Raubahn differently now?

No I wouldn't.

I forge my own destiny with my blood, sweat, and tears. Forbidden knowledge should be unattainable. My life for ten thousand is a bargain. I'm no stranger to chaos and if pushed into a corner I'd sacrifice my own sense of self to achieve my goal. I'll always show mercy to enemy and friend alike.

And should a companion turn against me I will do what I must.

As for the last question...

"A superior to whom you owe a great debt orders you to act in a way that violates your sense of justice."

Ululations from Beyond

These drop off various Mamool Ja. They are also a good source of various Blue magic in general.

Ever-Turning Wheels

This is not my path.

I will follow my sense of justice.

Hellriders

So be it.

Raubahn knows every Blue magic under level 75. What he uses is completely random.

His favorite spell however is Eyes On Me. This spell comes from Ahriman...

Of course he has Azure Lore which is extremely dangerous.

However he knows when to stop, else his vessel shatter.

I won't begin to pretend to know how a soul works or what the alchemists did to mine. I do know that for a period of time I held the combined light of the mothercrystals and I didn't break. A gross of monster souls is nothing compared to that.

Whispers of the Gods

And with that, I am free of the Immortals...

...Or at least I'm going to tell myself that.

Ya know, I feel like I forgot to do something... It probably wasn't important if I can't remember it.

Next time: I'm gonna try to explain Pup and Cor in a single update

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It turns out that intense depression, alternating apathy and despair are the antidotes to the negative side effects of becoming a postelvaan monster, blue magic has taken some great strides forward today.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

"If I become a monster then Prishe will dropkick me." - the mantra that keeps Visaria from going completely insane.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

By this point Visaria does understand she has a certain level of protagonist immortality but also Iroha has absolutely created a different timeline and she is not guaranteed to reach Iroha's future which means she could really screw things up badly if not careful. Fear the day time finally gets pissed off at Visaria for all her screwing with it. We have not yet begun to give time a proper wedgie.

Also...

PurpleXVI posted:

"If I become a monster then Prishe will dropkick me." - the mantra that keeps Visaria from going completely insane.

Hang on to this thought.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Murdering co-workers is good, got it

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

drat, FF11 Blue Mage goes hard.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Bregor posted:

Murdering co-workers is good, got it

Sanguinia posted:

drat, FF11 Blue Mage goes hard.

Blue Mage is a good idea when you are in a forever hell war and need walking bombs. You do not try to explain Blue Mage to the general public and the handful of people that do know about it are disgusted by it. Number one rule is don't make the Empress look bad when you die ( and you will die [don't worry we'll kill you if you die wrong] ). There is an entire one person who feels kinda sorta bad for you and the only reason he probably still does his job is because it delays the inevitable so fewer Immortals get churned through.

Fear not everyone for we will be seeing plenty more Immortals in the future. In fact all the new Jobs are well represented in the story going forward; Blue Mage is probably the most important for the plot.

I finished the Corsair half of the next update, Pup is going to take a hell of a lot of willpower to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 114: I'm Using A Whole Main Update To Explain Pup And Cor

Fair warning, this is going to be LONG and probably a nightmare to read. Just enjoy the pictures, I won't judge you.

Treasures of Aht Urghan Title Screen

Corsair is a support and DPS Job. It is CORe in every party. This is Visaria's main Job.

As a support what makes this necessary for a group above anything else? Bards can do 4 powerful buff songs at a time not to mention their debuff songs and Geomancers can both buff and debuff absurd values. Red Mage is Red Mage, I already hyped that up.

First we have Phantom Roll our iconic ability. Every minute you can roll a 6 sided dice and depending on the number, you get a potency of a type of buff you just rolled. You can keep rolling more dice as long as you don't hit 12 and bust. A bust will lock that dice roll slot for a bit but you do have a once in a while ability to fix your oppsie. Every roll has a different lucky number which gives a higher than average value for the buff and an unlucky number which gives a lower than average value. If you hit 11 on the dot you get the strongest buff possible and Phantom Roll's recast timer is reset. A Corsair can only ever have two dice rolls active at a time.

Let's look at an example and it will be pretty clear:

Corsair's Roll - Gives bonus experience points each kill, this includes the post level 99 experience types.

I 10%
II 11%
III 11%
IV 12%
V 20% < Lucky
VI 13%
VII 15%
VIII 16%
IX 8% < Unlucky
X 17%
XI 24%
BUST -6% < That's right if you bust you take a penalty instead but it only effects you

If you have a Job in the party that matches the Job the roll is named after you get a little bonus to the value.

Pretty neat. Only Corsair can boost XP gains like this. This is not why Corsair is core.

We can get the duration of these rolls up to about 10 minutes and we can eventually fold a bad roll every 5 minutes. As long as the Corsair rolling doesn't have 2 rolls active you can spread different rolls to different types of party members.

Example: Give the mages a Refresh roll, Fold it off you, then give the physical DPS their rolls.

We can also boost the effects of a roll every 10 minutes, hey that lines up with that duration I was talking about. Every 5 minutes we can use an ability to guarantee the next roll is a 1, sometimes if you are lucky and are in range(a 5-10 roll) of an 11 it will just give you an 11 straight up. If you happen to get an 11 you are immune to the bust debuff while you have an 11 buff active, roll another buff over and over until you get another 11 provided you are in a situation that allows it.

Phantom roll has a pretty large range to begin with but we can double that range with a ring. Speaking of equipment your Empyrean armor boosts effects of certain rolls. There are also accessories that boost the values regardless of rolls, these are potent enough to mostly double some effects. Corsair as a Sub Job can only have 1 roll active and is limited to level 49 and lower rolls. The potency is also reduced as a Sub Job Corsair.

Let's finish up with some examples of rolls. For all our sakes I'm just going to list the highest value without equipment or party Jobs taken into account.

Fighter's Roll: 15% Double attack
Chaos Roll: 31.25% Attack/Ranged Attack (mine are usually about 60%)
Evoker's Roll: 4 MP per tick (this one gets waaaay more beefy with the + gear)
Samurai Roll: 40 Store TP (mine is 72)
Bolter's Roll: 20% move speed (you can cap move speed with +gear and the boosting ability)
Wizard's Roll: 30 Magic Attack Bonus (think of this stat as +30% Magic Attack)
Beast Roll: 31.25% PET Attack/Ranged Attack (there is a magic version too)

These are just a few of the rolls, there are so many more and we use a lot of them.

Anyway this isn't why Corsair is core to a group.

Next up we have Quick Draw. You get two charges of this ability and it uses consumable cards from your inventory. Each element has a specific card or you can just buy more expensive do all the elements cards. This ability has a one minute cooldown and is instant cast. For all the elements not called Light or Dark it does sizable magic damage of the element. This damages gives you TP, doesn't give the monster TP, makes the next elemental damage of that type in a brief period(10ish seconds) do extra damage if you have the Empyrean boots, and if a monster has a debuff on of the associated element it will boost that debuff to the next level. For example a Dia 2 will become a Dia 3 after a light shot.

Light Shot instead of doing damage puts a target to sleep. Dark Shot instead of doing damage dispels a target of one buff.

With the correct gear these shots can do five digit damage in addition to the utility of the shots.

This is also not why Corsair is core to a group.

Damage... Well Corsair can use swords and daggers, not very well but they can use the Ambuscade sword and dagger as their best weapons in general circumstances. There are better melee weapons for certain circumstances like TP overflow and an ultimate crafted weapon that after augments is simply your best main hand in most cases. The crafted weapon route will cost you as much as a Relic weapon. Savage Blade or Evisceration are both fine weaponskills, melee Corsair is fine.

Guns. Guns are the main weapon of Corsair. Guns are harder to make good than old reliable Savage Blade but all our REMAP weapons are guns and once you have one you are a force to be reckoned with. Corsair has TERRIBLE accuracy and ranged weapons have their own accuracy and attack type. Guns are also slow as poo poo and normal haste gear doesn't work on them, they have their own unique haste stat. Once you fix these two huge issues guns still aren't great... To get the most damage out of a gun you need to be standing at a sweet spot away from the monster you are shooting at. Too close or too far and you lose some damage, not a huge deal but it can be annoying.

So why are guns good? Every 5 minutes for 90 seconds you have an ability that gives you a 40% chance to do a triple shot, gear boosts this chance further and even make it into a quadruple shot. Currently a triple shot gives me 900 TP, a baby Corsair will see around 700ish. 1000 TP is a weaponskill. Quick Draw gives us TP instantly if for some reason you don't have 1000 TP after a shot. If Triple Shot is up You are non-stop weaponskilling. All this does take ammo though. Corsairs don't get access to good ammo easily like Rangers do, we have to live with 117 item level as our best NPC buyable bullets. That said we can buy and find very power single bullets. Quickdraw takes the bullet and it's stats into account but doesn't consume the bullet. Ranged attacks and weaponskills DO use the bullet however and Visaria has lost 3 very expensive bullets swapping gear this way.

Gun weaponskills:

Leaden Salute: Dark elemental damage. Our biggest damage but Dark is a rough element as far as resistances go. More TP makes it do a bigger number. If you want a huge magic number you smash this button.

Wildfire: Fire elemental magic damage. More TP just makes this do less enmity. Weaker but less resisted than Leaden. Self skillchains with itself very nicely.

Last Stand: 2 hits, physical damage. Our accuracy is crap and both those hits NEED to land for this to be worth it. It gets stronger with more TP built up.

All our gun stuff scales off Agility. Leaden and Wildfire both use magic attack and accuracy bypassing our horrid ranged accuracy. This also means like with Quick Draw you need a magic boosting set of gear. Depending on the REMAP any one of these three are your main weaponskill. Prior to that Leaden > Wild > Last Stand = Savage Blade with proper gear.

This sure as hell isn't why Corsair is core to a group though Leaden existing does get you a spot in Dynamis D.

Well what the hell is there that is left? Traits? Our traits are crap and mostly deal with guns.

I guess there is the one hours?

Cutting Cards: Decreases the recast times of party members' special abilities. Roll a single dice 1-6. Only one party member.
1: 5% Reduction, 2: 10% Reduction, 3: 20% Reduction, 4: 30% Reduction, 5: 40% Reduction, 6: 50% Reduction

Special abilities(SP) are the one hours. If you are lucky 30 minutes off an hour long cooldown. Meh.

Wild Card: Roll 1-6... Here we go again... Effects all party members at least...

1 or 2: Restores all Job abilities except SP Abilities.
3: Restores all Job abilities except SP Abilities and grants 100 TP.
4: Restores all Job abilities except SP Abilities and grants 300 TP.
5: Restores Job abilities including level 1 SP Abilities and restores 50% of maximum MP.
6: Restores all Job abilities including level 1 and level 96 SP Abilities and restores all MP.

You can increase the chance of a high roll with Relic boots which invisibly rerolls initial 1 and 2's. With Job point investment Wild Card can reset itself on a 5 or 6 at a 20% chance.

That is why Corsair is core.

Also all the other crap I just spent an hour writing I guess...

Eventually I will probably make a write up of all Visaria's gear and what it does to show the inner workings of a completed Job. Everything above will eventually be relevant to that in the far future.

The Modern Title Screen Music

Hey! Puppet time! Yaaaaaay...

Sit down, we are gonna have a talk. See that puppet right there? That lil funny bastard staring into your soul? That is the star of the show. You are not. No one cares about you. Your damage is trash. Your weaponskills are pathetic. Sure you can build a set of gear to be kinda like a Monk... A worse Monk... and now you went and made your puppet suck because you did that. Knock it off.

Your puppet does several different roles based on how you set it up. Tanking, physical damage(both ranged and melee flavor), buffs/debuffs(meh), healing(single target), and magic damage(single target). You *points at you* do damage, not a lot. You slapping the monster and giving it TP is probably a bad thing but the other 5 people in your group don't pay your sub. A thoughtful Puppetmaster might Sub Job White Mage. If you are playing with Trusts then they can't judge you for choosing to play Pup, do as you like.

Let's start with the basic mechanics and then I'll move into the specific roles.

Your puppet has a head and a body. Your puppet has 12 attachment slots which work kinda like your normal player equipment just they are all interchangeable in every slot. These attachments have a certain load of a certain element assigned to them, stronger attachments are heavier load. The puppet heads and bodies each have different maximum load values for each element and Job point can universally increase load as well. So simply put you can't just strap the strongest stuff to your puppet and you need to think about the head/body parts. In addition to all that noise the head, body, and attachments can only be changed if you dismiss the puppet.

The head parts are responsible for which one hour the puppet knows, increases the skill rank of the puppet's weapon or magic, and effects how it behaves in combat.

The body effects all the puppet's base stats, skills, damage type, accuracy, defense, HP, and MP.

In cases where you want the puppet using magic you will be using the Stormwaker body and the head for the type of magic you want.

For melee damage you want the Valoredge head and the Sharpshot body, you'll build TP faster this way. For ranged damage Sharpshot head. To make a puppet go into melee we use a v1 Animator, a v2 will keep the puppet at range at all times.

For tanking you'll be using the Valoredge body and Soulsoother head. More on this later.

You can get the various attachments from either this vendor(expensive), the auction house(somehow more expensive), crafted(no), or some can be gained as occasional drops off certain enemies. You will mostly be buying them from the vendor. Once you have a new part you trade it to the nice lady at the automaton workshop and she will install it for you. After it is installed it is on your puppet FOREVER, you can then place the various attachments in the little equip screen the puppet has.

As you can see from the above picture attachments have various levels, some of these do stack when equipped but do keep in mind bigger numbers mean more load.

Attachments usually have a rhyme to their element. I can't go over ever single part but here are a some for each element to give you an idea.

Fire:
Tension Spring 5: (5 load) 18-27% attack.
Tension spring 4: (4 load) 15-24% attack.
Inhibitor 1/2: (1/2 load) Gives Store TP and the puppet will wait to use a weaponskill until the master uses one. Instead of using the one it would normally do it uses one that is the highest level that will skillchain.
Strobe 1/2: (1/2 load) Provoke every 30 seconds, more fire maneuvers give more enmity.
Heat Capacitor 1/2: (1/2 load) Erases all fire maneuvers to restore puppet TP.

poo poo I have to explain it now...

:siren:HOLD IT! READ THIS!:siren:

Maneuver: In order to get the puppet to do things in combat we can give it up to 3 maneuvers. These change the power output of the attachments depending on the element and often a single maneuver is needed to make it do a granted ability. The are short little buffs applied to the master that start at one minute and as your lil buddy is out >>>fighting<<< the buff duration will start to grow on later applied maneuvers up to 5 minutes. They are quickly recastable allowing you to change your puppet's powers rapidly. Each maneuver element boosts a different base stat slightly(except dark).

Using the same maneuver element over and over causes your lil pal to gain Burden. Each element has it's own Burden to keep track of. If too much Burden is built up there is a chance to Overload the puppet which halves the puppet's speed and wipes all your maneuvers for a duration based on how Burdened it was.

Below we have an addon that lets us see the Burden amount, the time it takes for the Burden to fully disappear, and the percent chance to overload in that order.

This is a Ice > Water > Ice. If you aren't in panic mode or risking overload for damage then this is what your maneuvers will probably look like.

This is Ice > Ice > Ice. Pretty dangerous and if your maneuvers only last a minute when you do something like this that Burden is gonna be trouble.

There are ways to increase various thresholds and decay Burden. Later. We will get into this all more... later...

:siren:CONTINUE!:siren:

Ice:
Loudspeaker 1-5: (1-5 load) Enhances magic attack.
Mana Booster: (2 load) Reduces spell cooldown 2-8 seconds
Ice Maker: (1 load) Ice maneuvers consumed to make magic stronger.
Amplifier 1/2: (1/2 load) The puppet will now TRY to magic burst and will burst for higher amounts. This also resets the cooldown on it's elemental spells when it is burst time AND it has a not on the label fast cast bonus.
Scanner: (1 load) Checks resistances before casting a spell, it doesn't target weaknesses still. The Black Mage head has a passive one of these already.
Tactical Processor: (1 load) Puppets need to think before doing another action and this tells them to hurry it up.
Tranquilizer 1-4: (1-4 load) Magic accuracy increase. This is the magic puppet's greatest foe.

Wind:
Evasion, Ranged accuracy, some things to make ranged damage a bit faster/stronger.
Turbo Charger 2: (3 load) 7%-43.75% Haste. The good stuff.

Water:
Heatsink: (1 load) Reduces overload rate.
Mana Jammer 1-4: (2-5 load) Magic defense increase.
Percolator: (2 load) Increase skill gain. Yes you need to level your puppet's magic and attack skills. You can cheat and go afk while it attacks an Adoulin beehive as they have 0 evade and only cause monster attacks if an adventurer slaps it.
Resister 1/2: (1/2 load) Resists status effects.
Stealth Screen 1/2: (1/2 load) Reduces enmity.

Earth:
Physical defense stuff.
Analyzer: (1 load) Reduce damage taken from a TP attack by 40% if the last TP attack was the same.
Equalizer: (2 load) Reduces damage taken and has a bizarre formula. It is applied after all other DR. Best not to think too hard about and just push buttons.
Schurzen: (1 load) If an attack would kill the puppet it instead takes it to 1 HP and removes an earth maneuver, no cooldown.

Thunder:
Critical hit rate, melee accuracy, thunder is kinda meh.
Coiler II: (3 load) 10-35% double attack.

Dark:
Dark mainly deals with MP management. You do not care about MP management.
Disruptor: (2 load) 1 minute cooldown Dispel.
Regulator: (3 load) 1 minute cooldown steal a buff from an enemy.

Light:
Auto-Repair Kit 4: (5 load) Increases HP by 20%. 0 - 21 + 4.2% of puppet's max HP regen. Your puppet will have anywhere from 2800-3600 HP. That is 119 - 147.5 HP restored per tick with two maneuvers up. Save this for later.
Damage Gauge 2: (2 load) Makes the puppet cure at higher HP thresholds. The puppet will always cure itself only at 50% HP.
Flashbulb: (2 load) Grants Flash like a Paladin has. 45 second cooldown.
Eraser: (2 load) Removes negative status effects from the master and puppet. More maneuvers removes more at a time. The puppet will take care of itself first.
Optic Fiber 1/2: (1/2) Makes a lot of other attachments do bigger number. Remember that Auto-Repair Kit? It is now doing 163.6 - 202.8 HP per tick. These stack!

Okay so now we understand puppets are extremely customizable. There are pet stats on a bunch of Puppetmaster gear as well that help make your little murder machine better. The numbers never end with this Job.

As far as traits go you get some stuff to help you punch faster and harder, bunch of evasion, pet DR(9%). All those come at later levels. You will never Sub Job Puppetmaster as the pet can simply not exist in any meaningful way capped at level 49.

Puppetmaster abilities are all very good.

Activate: Simply calls your puppet after you Deactivate it or it dies. If you Deactivate the puppet at full HP the cooldown of Activate is set to 0. If you goof up and your buddy dies, that is a 20 minute cooldown. After you Activate all the Burdens will be elevated and need to tick down so please be careful to not immediately throw your friend into hell in the heat of the moment.

Deus Ex Automata: Okay so that 20 minute thing on activate sucks. Every minute you can use this to revive your puppet with a low amount of health. Please watch the initial Burden.

Repair: Every 90 seconds you can heal your buddy with some special oil in your ammo slot, make sure you don't run out. This happens in a base amount then a regen afterwards, certain gear can also make it erase status ailments. The strong juice heals for 40% of your puppet's max HP and the regen will heal for 1600 over the duration, merits can make the number a little bigger. The good stuff costs 1000 gil each.

Maintenance: Every minute the good stuff you use from the last ability can be used to remove 4 status effects from the puppet.

Cooldown: Lowers Burden or removes Overload. Once you know what you are doing you shouldn't need this for basic Burden management but it is good for stabilizing after a bad chain of events or pushing your DPS. 5 minute cooldown.

Role Reversal: Swaps the master's and puppet's HP, 2 minute cooldown.

Tactical Switch: Swaps the TP of the master and puppet, 3 minute cooldown. Gear can give a little free bonus amount to both Tactical Switch and Role Reversal.

Ventriloquy: Swaps enmity of the current target between master and puppet. Merits make the swap increase and decrease the amount swapped to allow for some breathing room. This can be done every minute.

Heady Artifice: Your level 96 one hour ability. Your puppet does a one hour ability based on the head it is using head.

Harlequin Head: Mighty Strikes - 45 seconds
Valoredge Head: Invincible - 30 seconds
Sharpshot Head: Eagle Eye Shot
Stormwaker Head: Chainspell - 60 seconds
Soulsoother Head: Benediction
Spiritreaver Head: Manafont - 60 seconds

Overdrive: Hoofa. Your first one hour ability. For three minutes the puppet has zero chance to overload, all attack and accuracy greatly increase, damage reduction and evasion increase, it gains 25% haste, and with Job points increases base stats(all) by 100.

People make teams of 3-6 Puppetmasters and use this one hour to kill just about anything that breathes. For those 3 minutes your puppet is nearly unkillable and you will have to sit there and feel emotions while your metal child rips some intestines out of a poor rabbit and proudly presents them to you.

Okay I think we have all the information we need to learn about puppet roles!

The thing the puppet is most well known for is being an unkillable wall. That's right your little bastard is wonderful at shrugging off damage! Pets and players cap damage taken reduction(DT) at 50% Physical and 50% Magical, there is a hard cap of 87.5% from sources that bypass the normal cap. Puppets are unique in that it is stupid easy for them to get DT.

Our traits give 9% DT
Valoredge frame gives 12.5% DT
Armor plate IV - 20% PDT no maneuvers
Tali'ah Legs from Ambuscade - 5% DT
Ambuscade Cape - 5% DT or 10% PDT or 10% MDT
Shiva Earing - 1% DT
Taeon armor - 16% DT, this does require rolling for augments
Midnights - 3% Fists

This is all entry level stuff, 51.5 DT + 20 PDT(optic fiber boosts this so add like 12.5 PDT) from the attachment. That kinda sorta looks like the physical hard cap.

So what is the catch you ask? One, other players can't heal or magic buff(protect/shell/haste) the puppet. Two, enmity. Three, status effects. Four, multiple targets.

Healing isn't a problem with the strong regen from light maneuvers and repair kits. If Healing gets dire then drink a Dawn Mulsum which is a crafted item that restores 25-50% of the pet's max HP. If everything has gone to total poo poo then use the White Mage head's one hour Benediction which saves everyone, we use the White Mage head instead of the tank head for extra light load.

If something well geared starts doing heavy damage the puppet will not hold the target's attention. We have a few ways to deal with this enmity problem.

Solution 1: Just be an off tank. If the fight has multiple mobs then the puppet can sit on one not being focused on building enmity for later. This also brings to attention problem 4, you have no AoE. Stick to single mobs if you can help it!

Solution 2: Blue Mage. The Puppetmaster subs Blue Mage and starts the fight as the tank building hate with Blue's powerful enmity tools. Once you have been beaten to a pulp Ventriloquy and give your puppet all the enmity. Repeat as needed. You must know what the hell you are doing with this method and the healer needs to be on the ball through the entire fight.

Solution 3: Pets! Summoner pets and the like can all be dismissed and their threat can disappear into the void. Dragoons can also make their threat disappear, treat them like a pet. A group full of Pups works well not only because of Overdrive but because they are all tanks to an extent, even in DPS mode.

Status effects... If it can't be fixed with maintenance you are in trouble. If a long duration terror happens on the puppet, that's it, it isn't generating threat for like 30 seconds. If you clean a petrify off and it happens again immediately, you are screwed until the cooldown comes back. Puppets can however ignore charm which can be a boon where a normal tank would have issues.

The final note of tanking is that if you look at the gear, we are using a ton of OUR gear to make the puppet unkillable and to make it generate more threat... The price you pay is that you become so much weaker because those stats aren't for YOU. You will not be winning any damage awards and that is why Sub White Mage as a Pup is a real choice. You actually share a bunch of gear with mages so your heals will be okay. Dancer is another good support option.

Healing. Your pet can only do single target heals but it effectively has unlimited MP. As magic skill goes up it will learn Cure 6, Regen 4, Protectga/Shellra 5, Haste 1, and all the status removal spells aside from Erase which is from an attachment. It is perfectly fine in a party that is only taking damage from one source on one target and YOU can mainly focus on damage. Reducing recast delay is essential as each heal, buff, and status cure is only used every 15 seconds.

Red Mage... The Red head is bad... It gets Haste 2, Frazzle 2, Distract 2, single target elemental magic 4, Cure 4, Phalanx, Dispel, Stoneskin, and Dia/Bio 2. At first this doesn't look bad but it isn't a replacement for a Job that can do these spells betterer. Maneuvers effect what it casts and it has a priority order beyond that. Automaton recasting is also painfully slow(for Red head 12 seconds per enfeeble and 20 per buff). Stoneskin, Phalanx, and Haste will only be cast on the master.

Black Mage! So the other issue with puppet casting is magic accuracy. Landing elemental damage magic is easier than making debuffs stick. There is enough gear(a bit of a pain to gather) and Geomancers that can help your spells land that this puppet type is actually doable nowadays at least. Black Mage head gets Bio 2 and Dia 2(and recasts them faster than Red head somehow?), single target elemental magic 5, annnnnd Absorb-Attri which is basically Dispel. Its recast for a damage spell is 33 SECONDS please please please attachment appropriately... The damage heads have attachments to remove maneuvers to do more damage, while risky they can make these infrequent spells do much more. The ideal way to play this type of Pup is wait with your puppet until a skillchain happens then deploy it to magic burst, repeat over and over. You'll get a big number but I can't guarantee it will be fun.

Physical DPS, the end to this nightmare. Ranged puppet shots tend to be slow as sin so to bump TP generation up slap that Valoredge head on that we aren't using with the tank and we get some melee action going on. Ranged pet gear is different from melee pet gear so don't think you are just swapping back and forth at will. But hey what you do catch a break on is the TP and weaponskill gear are actual real Job gear that normal people get to wear. You can actually kinda do damage on the master and you get to use Mythic and Aeonic weapons!

I haven't explained how puppets decide to use their weapons skills yet, let's fix that. It's done by the number and flavors of maneuvers. It sucks. Your best Sharpshot frame weaponskill is Arcuballista which you make happen by having more fire maneuvers than any other maneuver. This has a higher multiplier than most player weaponskills with a decent 60% DEX scaling and has a nice accuracy bonus to make sure it lands.

As for master weaponskills... You get two notable ones.

Stringing Pummel - 6 Hits. It has a weird 32% STR and 32% VIT scaling but we are mostly here for the 6 hits. More TP gives an increased crit chance.

Victory Smite - 4 Hit 80% STR scaling. Delicious. Like Stringing TP gives more crit.

Victory is a light property and Stringing is a dark for skillchains. Which one of these is better depends on what weapon you are using. If you want to force your puppet to use Arcuballista while it doesn't have the fire maneuvers(as long as wind/lightning/dark isn't prevailing), Howling Fist causes it to follow up as long as it has the attachment to wait for you. The Sharpshot frame can tank to an extent with the Valoredge head and that Arcuballista damage slaps for enmity.

Thank you for reading this mess. If you have any questions ask away, I started rushing myself to make sure I didn't start turning this into a Job guide and I'm sure someone can figure out something important I missed.

Next time: Oh poo poo I forgot to report back to the boss for like a whole week

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 14, 2024