Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

You don't need to Fold to keep a rotation up. Phantom Roll always overwrites the oldest one, so you can do Refresh and Magic accuracy on mages, and then Attack and Accuracy on DPS.

And then you can take off the ring, go into a corner and give yourself Magic Attack Bonus to boost your Leaden Salute damage even further. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Kazy posted:

You don't need to Fold to keep a rotation up. Phantom Roll always overwrites the oldest one, so you can do Refresh and Magic accuracy on mages, and then Attack and Accuracy on DPS.

And then you can take off the ring, go into a corner and give yourself Magic Attack Bonus to boost your Leaden Salute damage even further. :v:

Correct you only get yelled at for applying a third roll if you are trying to apply a roll you already have up. I think my 4am brain was doing 4th dimensional hopscotch with the Fold merit resetting the roll cooldown. You are never going to put more than one point in Fold so it is a 0% chance normally and doesn't apply to the example. Now if I got an 11 on the first roll and didn't get an 11 on the second buff and didn't have the time to try again you bet your rear end I'm Folding and throwing up my physical buffs with that stored 11, screw the casters and their meta asses, they'll take a 7 and like it while I feed the attack capped Thief and myself the good stuff. That's right baby TP+ and Double Attack. I'm going to self skillchain for the next 50 years and my group is going to deal with it, it is never the Thief's turn. Yeah I see you capped at 3000 TP, tab back over to the Bard box. You can Rudra when I'm dead. Real winners set up 11's and staggered rolls ahead of time so Snake Eyes is always up. I am not that.

Another thing to mention is a party member can walk into a Double Up after the initial roll and get buffed all the same, the Double up timer is like 40 seconds so you actually have a lot of time to mess with positions and whatnot. There is also a limit of 10 rolls or Bard songs allowed on a target so be prepared to get upset in a public area where groups can buff each other when someone uses a cruddy roll on you taking one of your slots.

Last note a Corsair can't restore another Corsair's Wild Card.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
You know, all the classes sound good and useful so far. What would you say is the weakest or most niche-use class in the game currently?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
COR is probably my... fourth love, after BLU RDM and SMN. I was heartbroken and crushed when AST in XIV wasn't basically COR.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

COR is my favorite to the point where I still glam as a pirate in XIV :v:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, all the classes sound good and useful so far. What would you say is the weakest or most niche-use class in the game currently?

Hmmm.

Let's start with what the core of the group is... One Bard and One Corsair. After that you find a tank(Rune/Pal/War) and a healer(White/Red/Sch). The last 2 slots can be used for another debuffer/buffer like Geo and a DPS or two random DPS you pull out of a hat. Bard and Corsair are extremely powerful force multipliers and the disgusting thing is they can DPS too.

Paladin and Rune are unreplaceable tanks, Rune is preferred usually because of DPS.

Pup has it's specific uses especially when grouped with a bunch of Pups. It compares in damage to a Monk all things factored in.

Summoner is supper important for endgame burst shenanigans.

Red is important, Bard is way more important, Geo is important but nerfed a bit in recent content, Cor is Core.

White Mage and Scholar are necessary healing(and in Scholar's case damage).

Thief is fine and has Treasure Hunter which is less strong in modern stuff, Warrior is fine and can tank if you throw caution to the wind, Monk is the easiest to gear probably but least impressive just damage Job, Dark can solo a lot of really hard stuff.

Beastmaster is fine, Blue is great for AoE and CC situations and wonderful solo, Black Mage is strong in the current meta of magic damage.

Samurai is fine, Dragoon is good, Dancer is fine, Ninja is fine.

Ranger. Ranger is the most replaceable. It is a useless Sub Job(It was once used for accuracy), it doesn't bring anything damagewise that another Job couldn't. If you want to invest in ranged damage then you have Cor sitting there with the guaranteed group slot. If I had to pick something after Ranger then Monk I guess but that at least has subtle blow and kinda tank uses.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

COR is probably my... fourth love, after BLU RDM and SMN. I was heartbroken and crushed when AST in XIV wasn't basically COR.

Kazy posted:

COR is my favorite to the point where I still glam as a pirate in XIV :v:

I would never ever suggest someone use third party tools in Final Fantasy 14 but for the sake of knowledge, not using, absolutely don't use this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpaZAniJB6Y

Remember I DON'T use this and you can't prove I do.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Fat and Useless posted:

I would never ever suggest someone use third party tools in Final Fantasy 14 but for the sake of knowledge, not using, absolutely don't use this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpaZAniJB6Y

Remember I DON'T use this and you can't prove I do.

You know, I was holding out hope that they'd add Corsair in Dawntrail. But guess I'll have to.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Fat and Useless posted:

With the correct gear these shots can do five digit damage in addition to the utility of the shots.

:stare: I mostly used a Store TP set for QD but even when I was going for damage mine was never that good.

Thank you for the write-ups! You really did two of my favorite jobs justice. I was lucky that I had a ton of fun playing COR and it's also so useful that everyone wanted me to play it. They said I'd get sick of it eventually, but I never did because I loved the Phantom Roll mechanic, I loved blasting fools with my guns, and my character looked drat good in the pirate gear. :pirate:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 115: The Whims Of A Puppet

Perhaps she hasn't noticed I've been missing a week? Technically I was doing work for the Empire... Yeah. That sounds good. She can't kill me if I made her look good. It's in the contract... I think.

Hellriders

Ahem... I completed the task ma'am.

(4,590,000 gil...)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever-Turning Wheels

A Puppet's Slumber

Illusions in the Mist

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(It's actually 252 but neither Abquhbah or myself feel the need to correct her...)

All and all this could have been worse I think? Hopefully she never finds out about the Blue Mage incident... or the Corsair stuff... She'd probably like Principessa.

Next time: Visaria obtains the spell "Gun".

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Aphmau! Another familiar face, finally!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I still love Naja, excellent Mithra.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 116: Fly With Me

Ululations from Beyond

Hey... Boss took my paycheck, so I'm here now.

Yep. Beat up an Immortal or two(technically). I'm pretty impressive.

Swearing this oath couldn't be any worse than what happened last week or that other contract I signed... Anyway me and the Goddess are pals, she knows what kind of shenanigans I'm all about.

(I have a gun but the one they are talking about is special.)

Zoops are a hell of a drug. Want anything else while I'm at the illegal gun store anyone? No? Alright, be back soon!

Funny enough the place I'm looking for is right by the entrance! At least I think this is the place. Who puts a random door in the middle of a cave?

Look at it... Hmm... Do I knock first?

Turns out the door is haunted. I quickly crush the skeleton and head inside, seems the occupant of this place is probably long gone. If I'm lucky I can still find what I need.

Where to start?

Oh? Err got any gun parts?

(This does seem strange. I thought I was looking for a Mithra...)

(I dunno it might be the wearing sunglasses inside the cave but she doesn't seem on the level... Wait I'm not on the level either, poo poo.)

Yeah sure.

It is a looooong boat ride, probably not.

Hi everyone I'm back! Things were weird!

Look I'm guessing this is some secret code and it is way above my paygrade to know what "Hi" means.

Hrm... Well my job is done for now.

No problem. (I gave him a gun.)

Nice. I'm not the only person who gave the kid a gun.

This little poo poo will grow up to be a great rogue one day. Good on you lad.

I can gripe about the state of the world nowadays to no end but the kids are alright.

Time to head back to the office while my mood isn't rock bottom. The boss has probably cooled off by now.

Next time: If Visaria had a gil every time she had to investigate ghosts...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Giving guns to kids and joining secret societies, part of a good game.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Giving guns to kids and joining secret societies, part of a good game.

Visaria will continue being the cool aunt for the remainder of the LP. Why not keep putting her in charge of kids? Iroha turned out fine aside from the constant dying. How old is Aphmau? 15? Come get a gun girl, only rule is don't point it at me.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 117: An Imperial Visitor

Hey boss check out my new gun!

Oh?

Oh... Better put the gun away.

Yes ma'am.

This is not a healthy workplace.

Hell yeah! Free day off! Let's go do more puppet stuff or maybe go bug the Serpent Generals.

A Puppet's Slumber

(What the hell kinda game is this girl playing?)

(Well... I know how this goes...)

(No I won't.)

Good news ma'am I'm experienced with exorcisms!

Understood, go ask the Qiqirn in Nashmau.

We have our mission! Which is find a ghost ship... You know this is a slight miscalculation on my end. How do I confirm a ghost ship without my own boat? Naja seems to be ignoring my queries. Okay. Nashmau I guess.

Next time: Zoinks!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love how Naja treats Visaria kind of like her actual function in the story, in the sense that it's a mostly non-interactive story, due to being an MMO, Visaria's job generally really is just to sit there and do what she's told once everyone else is done monologuing.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

I love how Naja treats Visaria kind of like her actual function in the story, in the sense that it's a mostly non-interactive story, due to being an MMO, Visaria's job generally really is just to sit there and do what she's told once everyone else is done monologuing.

Visaria is back to the good old days of not having any power here. She is going to sit there and watch and do as she is told until she is free from several obligations and for once anything that happens is 99% not her fault. In 60 updates we can talk about why you shouldn't give Visaria agency and for the rest of the LP afterwards we will all be begging for someone to rip the wheel from her hands.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

Visaria is back to the good old days of not having any power here. She is going to sit there and watch and do as she is told until she is free from several obligations and for once anything that happens is 99% not her fault. In 60 updates we can talk about why you shouldn't give Visaria agency and for the rest of the LP afterwards we will all be begging for someone to rip the wheel from her hands.

Oh I dearly can't wait.

I will also never apologize for thinking Naja is excellent and I hope we get her as a Trust some day.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 118: Ghost

Why does it always have to be me? Where's Gessho?

From the ferry to Nashmau I can see the reef and the mass of destroyed ships that inhabit it. Never seen a ghost ship or even a slightly working ship there for that matter. My pirate club is kinda going through some hard times.

Bandits' Market

Nashmau is a town full of rats. Literally not metaphorically, the Qiqirin are very friendly. You can find all sorts of fun stuff here like puppet parts and Corsair dice.

Also information!

Anyway yeah I'm looking for ghosts.

I know. It sounds stupid. Everything that comes out of their mouths sounds stupid.

These little bastards are incredibly on the level and they all might just be smarter than me and if I could still sleep at night that thought would keep me awake along with a myriad of other intrusive thoughts.

Got any of this ghost smell laying around?

I'll be back in a minute, don't go anywhere(I can't tell you apart)!

I'm starting to have regrets.

And now I have ghost funk.

I'm guessing Pyo is talking about the tombstones just outside town.

Takes me back to the start of my adventuring days. Anyway no ghosts.

Hrm...

Well I found a ghost!

Naja is gonna be so happy when I tell her I beat up a sad ghost today.

Okay... I'm feelin' a little bad now.

Half buried in the dirt are a few old coins. I take one and make my way back to Naja, this is as much proof as I can gather for now.

Next time: Jinkies!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Is the "brrr brrr" supposed to be the Qiqirin miming being scared/shaking or do they purr?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Is the "brrr brrr" supposed to be the Qiqirin miming being scared/shaking or do they purr?

It is acting spoopy. They are adorable except when they ask me to do some very tedious things.

It makes me happy when FF14 carries on stuff like Goblins and Qiqirin(even though Qiqirin really could use some more focus).

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 119: Ephramad

Hey boss, I'm back.

poo poo. I'm a model employee.

I go over the details of my spooky encounter with the boss lady. I did a drat good job if I do say so myself.

Yes ma'am.

Yes ma'am.

Yes ma'am?

(You can not begin to comprehend the relationship I have several different opposing factions Naja, I can cram another one in just fine.)

Yes ma'am.

Yes ma'am.

Yes ma'am.

Yes ma'am?

I'm looking for ghosts, seen any?

Drag me to Hell, I don't care anymore. Anything is an improvement over going back to Naja empty handed.

No. You know what? I'm gonna go sink the ship myself. Screw my job! Screw my boss! Screw the Empire!

Any ghosts that get in my way are dead!

Next time: Yes ma'am.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 30, 2024

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 120: The Black Coffin

Black Coffin

So.

I didn't really think about what I was doing ahead of time.

But hey, I confirmed the ghost ship!

Well wanna parley?

That's the spirit! That was a dumb pun. I'm going to have to kill these shades now.

Where the hell have you been!?

I was gonna stab some ghosts dammit!

Then why did we run in the first place!? Old gold coins don't grow on trees you know!

You are a dork.

Between me and the bird we make short work of the crew. What a waste of gold...

Eternal Gravestone

Now this feels like it will be more of a fight!

Errrr...

Okay. What am I suppose to do with this? Any ideas Gess-

Bandits' Market

Ouch.

Yep... Luckily it wasn't in the job to actually do anything about it. And hey now I have a witness to tell Naja I wasn't goofing off again!

Still though, what was that all about?

My expertise in the area tells me that those were indeed undead because my dark elemental attacks did jack and poo poo.

Interesting. I have never heard of them. Seems a crowd has started to gather...

Wouldn't be the first time I fought a prince.

(Makes sense why the Seagulls roost here...)

You are a good egg Gessho.

Ninjas are never not dramatic.

Bustle of the Capital

I'm a little concerned...

Sigh... Even when I do everything right I lose.

I want to go home ma'am.

Gessho kinda did a lot of work though...

... What do you want me to wear ma'am?

She proceeds to show me her entire wardrobe...

I will end you Abquhbah...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Around the seventh outfit something load bearing inside Visaria broke. We have our best people attempting to fix it.

Ma'am yes.

Prepare what?

Next time: Glory.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

MMOs should always be this silly.

Fat and Useless posted:

You are a dork.

You are a good egg Gessho.

Both of these things are true :allears:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What an update. I love that she literally just chucks poo poo at your head, and Visaria's court attire is very classy.

Is there actually any requirement for what you wear to have a certain value or such? Or is it more just a "you're about to be in some fancy cutscenes, you can choose to look like a dork or not."-warning?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 121: Nashmeira II

Bustle of the Capital

You know what? That's fair.

She wasn't allowed to bring her mace otherwise she'd be swinging it around.

I start desperately motioning for Gessho to leave.

Appealing to Naja on Gessho's behalf is what a good friend would do. I'm a coward however.

(I'm sorry!)

(Oh poo poo she's pulling out pants law...)

(I should have taken off the hat...)

Eternal Gravestone

Raubahn doesn't even so much as twitch at me. That's some discipline right there.

(Maybe it's just my imagination...)

I have a passing understanding of how Automatons work. They don't without a Puppetmaster. I don't see Aphmau here. Once again I have no idea what this girl is playing at.

(So civil war on top of it all. Admittedly this is a bad look for me as both a spy and Corsair.)

!!!

Thank you.

(In order for anyone to even bat an eye at me in San d'Oria I had to take down the Shadow Lord, all I did here was get on a boat and stab some ghosts... Raubahn is the only one in this room I can even take seriously.)

(I refuse to believe that was an Empress.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Puppet's Slumber

Ever-Turning Wheels

Next time: Ohohohoho!~

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm excited to see where this goes.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm excited to see where this goes.

We have pretty much all the pieces now, we just need to assemble everything here on the 24th update.

Of course:

Fat and Useless posted:

Next time: Ohohohoho!~

Visaria can never have nice things.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 122: Everything Is Terrible

Please Naja. It's all I have...

How!?

You are trying to get blood from a stone!

(I didn't even want the thing! It's the principle of it all!)

I even washed Atarefaunet's brigandine for this... Man. This sucks.

I came to put in my two week notice Abquhbah.

Do I need to stick around for this?

She's ignoring me. Whatever. Beats working.

Vana'diel March

Internaly screaming.

Sometime, Somewhere

A Puppet's Slumber

Sometime, Somewhere

I don't like that they seem to be feuding with the puppet down there. (I really don't like that the puppet is the approximation of an Empress and Shantotto is making things harder for me in at least three of my tasks.)

A Puppet's Slumber

Next time: Not my problem.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Ovjang, Mnejing, and King of Hearts buddy cop movie when?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What the hell is King of Hearts. I feel like Shantotto just took a burlap sack and tossed someone she didn't like in there.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

What the hell is King of Hearts. I feel like Shantotto just took a burlap sack and tossed someone she didn't like in there.

Someday in the far future I might do Windurst stuff and you'll learn about them then. The short answer is that they are golems that are independent. Automations have some AI involved but require commands from a controller. Ovjang and Mnejing have no AI and anything they do is being done by a very lonely 15 year-old girl.

Bregor posted:

Ovjang, Mnejing, and King of Hearts buddy cop movie when?

Never.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

PurpleXVI posted:

What the hell is King of Hearts.

THE SCHOOL OF THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST!

THE WINDS OF THE KING!

ZENSHIN!

KEIRETSU!

TEMPA KYOURAN!

LOOK! THE EAST IS BURNING RED!!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Sanguinia posted:

ThE SChoOL ★ of ThE unDEFeaTed ★ oF ThE eaST!

ThE wINDs ★ oF ThE kINg!

ZEnSHin!

KeIREtsU!

TEmPa ★ KYouRAn!

LooK! ★ ThE eaST iS bURniNg ★ ReD!!

Fixed it...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

THE SCHOOL OF THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST!

THE WINDS OF THE KING!

ZENSHIN!

KEIRETSU!

TEMPA KYOURAN!

LOOK! THE EAST IS BURNING RED!!

You know, a lot of stories would be improved by having the G Gundam protagonist show up and punch something while yelling loudly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I feel that a solid melee system to allow for some good punching would improve lots of games.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

This took a turn.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Alxprit posted:

This took a turn.

They gave a horse a Gundam. Who thought that was a good idea?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Something I've been wondering about the cardians' speech -- is this like Fujin/Raijin in FF8 situation where they are trying to approximate an odd or archaic speech pattern into English? Or is this just a "beep boop robot talk funny" thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Bregor posted:

Something I've been wondering about the cardians' speech -- is this like Fujin/Raijin in FF8 situation where they are trying to approximate an odd or archaic speech pattern into English? Or is this just a "beep boop robot talk funny" thing?

I have no idea what Koji Fox was doing with the speech.

Tate(?)★Yoro...... Tsuji★Keanore★OK? Shigu★t(t)e Ki★masu =becomes= NeED★RdM? PLeaSe sENd★teLL!

Please note I can barely read some hiragana much less katakana. Someone else could probably explain any of this but it looks like the Japanese version of joining a group where you start by saying please take care of me.