Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think it is just beep boop robot, yeah.

It looks like he's mimicking the shouts people used to do looking for EXP parties, although in a really insane way because there was no way a RDM would ever be reduced to shouting for a party. I used to get invites when I was /anon, let alone /inv for gently caress's sake, just from people who remembered me being in their party previously, such was the mad need for RDMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 123: The Undefeated Of The West

Sometime, Somewhere

(This is embarrassing.)

(I know what Shantotto can do but I must admit I've never seen a Cardian fight.)

Wonderful they destroyed a priceless antique.

Well, she'll handle this place better than Trion. Probably.

A Puppet's Slumber

Bustle of the Capital

That was about what I expected from the people involved.

The problem with a two week notice is that your boss can still hit you with a mace and say mean things about you for those two weeks.

Ha ha... I thought for sure she was gonna make me go to the tea house...

Anyway let's go to the tea house.

Next time: Still not my problem.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I think it is just beep boop robot, yeah.

It looks like he's mimicking the shouts people used to do looking for EXP parties, although in a really insane way because there was no way a RDM would ever be reduced to shouting for a party. I used to get invites when I was /anon, let alone /inv for gently caress's sake, just from people who remembered me being in their party previously, such was the mad need for RDMs.

I think that's the phrase KoH says when you summon them as a Trust, there's a lot of fun dialogue with that. And yes RDMs and BRDs never had to /sh for for anything ever, lol

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

:hai:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love Shantotto's rhyming, probably my favourite writing in the game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sanguinia posted:

THE SCHOOL OF THE UNDEFEATED OF THE EAST!

THE WINDS OF THE KING!

ZENSHIN!

KEIRETSU!

TEMPA KYOURAN!

LOOK! THE EAST IS BURNING RED!!

THIS HAND OF MINE GLOWS WITH AN AWESOME POWER

ITS BURNING GRIP TELLS ME TO DEFEAT YOU

HERE I GO, SHINING FINGER

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bregor posted:

Something I've been wondering about the cardians' speech -- is this like Fujin/Raijin in FF8 situation where they are trying to approximate an odd or archaic speech pattern into English? Or is this just a "beep boop robot talk funny" thing?

Fat and Useless posted:

I have no idea what Koji Fox was doing with the speech.

Tate(?)★Yoro...... Tsuji★Keanore★OK? Shigu★t(t)e Ki★masu =becomes= NeED★RdM? PLeaSe sENd★teLL!

Please note I can barely read some hiragana much less katakana. Someone else could probably explain any of this but it looks like the Japanese version of joining a group where you start by saying please take care of me.

Yup, tons of katakana, I was thinking this was probably the case. Yeah, this is the same sorta situation here Bregor, it's being used for a speech pattern thing. Katakana is an alphabet only really used for stuff like loanwords or other names which aren't Japanese in origin to put it simply, normal Japanese text would be composed of kanji and hiragana, so actual Japanese sentences being composed of all katakana would be an oddity. Like even typing fully in hiragana itself isn't the norm, and also probably harder than normal Japanese to boot since it'll introduce a bit of uncertainty in reading things. I think a lot of robotic characters get that kinda text style for lines and I'm pretty sure a lot of the time it gets turned into things like ALLCAPS TEXT, Or Just Weird Formatting In General, to help set it apart from other speech due to the quirk. The stars are probably just that being made extra quirky then on top of that.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Anyone who levelled BLU can tell you not to gently caress with Cardians.

Their spell is THE premier DPS spell for a whole bunch of levels.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Oh actually, speaking of levels. I presume that, like in most games, in FFIX you gain HP and stats as you level up. Do you have a persistent "character level" separate from class levels ala FFV or do your stats just flip to be appropriate for whatever class level you've got equipped?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Nope, you just are whatever level your current job is and your stats just adjust accordingly.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 124: A Tea Break

Bustle of the Capital

Hey. My job sucks, I'm here now.

It doesn't.

Sigh. Let's start from the last time I saw Gessho. The boss took my pay. Again.

... I think either you or me might be the oldest employee... I dare not even attempt to think of Naja's age. Anyway new subject! So the AARI... She took my reward that time too...

None of this is making me feel better. Did you get suckered into joining too?

... Good egg...

I'll just go down the list.

Makes sense though I'm not quite sure how you'd use the thing offensively from my understanding of it. (And AARI wants me to go find more of the things... As if I didn't have enough to deal with working 18 hours a day. As if this was a even a good idea with the Iroha situation going on.)

Anyhow, Trolls next.

Well whenever I go there the doors are always locked so I kinda just pray I never have to find a key to get a job done. Good luck with that. Why are you going through the trouble of doing this anyway?

I can't say I have that level of loyalty to the Empire. Last up the reef.

I hate that you say things that are correct. Yes, ghost ships and their crew do not just rise from the dead on their own. Unless they do. I'm a ghost expert you see.

Ninjas.

Anyway I have an overwhelming feeling I'm about to have a bad time.

Next time: Starting to be my problem.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Why would Gessho be concerned with Windurst coming to the capit--oh yeah the thunder-wielding Taru murderers

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Naja, somehow not the worst person involved in this update, I am gladmortifiedmade more aware to see that the setting's most constant menace has arrived.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 125: Lady Karababa

If I'm quick I can hide.

Sometime, Somewhere

Well I tried. No! If I hold still maybe I can still get out of this somehow.

Yes! Who am I kidding? She already saw me.

Whatever this is better than Trion. I think.

Huh neat. No wait I'm not getting tricked into this.

Who am I more afraid of? Naja or Shantotto?

(She could at least offer to share...)

(I don't think I've ever seen Naja actually hit anything with the mace... but then there was the time me and the doctor killed a man...)

(Nervous system? Like circuits right? RIGHT!?)

Crud.

(I should have let Promathia win.)

I think it was the sound of my soul cracking. Anyhow, the doc didn't come all the way here just to look at mechanical doodads I'm sure. I'm sure there is a plan! I hope there is a plan!

Next time: It is now my problem.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

lmao oh my God, EVERYONE wants to bully Visaria. This is the weirdest "love" triangle I've ever seen. I can't wait till the ambassador, Aphmau and Naja are all in the same scene.

Also, uh, what happened to Gessho? Did they just shove him under the cushions while Sh- I mean, Karababa rambles on?

And it feels like they're starting to get a bit more creative with the story animations, a lot of the previous stuff feels like it sort of ran on people standing around and otherwise default "emote" stances and expressions, but stuff like Aphmau clinging on to the awning is very clearly purpose-made for this bit. I also love when NPC's actually have the same tools that the player has, and they're like, diegetic, not just gameplay abstractions, like with Aphmau and Ovjang using the Silent Oil here.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

lmao oh my God, EVERYONE wants to bully Visaria. This is the weirdest "love" triangle I've ever seen. I can't wait till the ambassador, Aphmau and Naja are all in the same scene.

Also, uh, what happened to Gessho? Did they just shove him under the cushions while Sh- I mean, Karababa rambles on?

And it feels like they're starting to get a bit more creative with the story animations, a lot of the previous stuff feels like it sort of ran on people standing around and otherwise default "emote" stances and expressions, but stuff like Aphmau clinging on to the awning is very clearly purpose-made for this bit. I also love when NPC's actually have the same tools that the player has, and they're like, diegetic, not just gameplay abstractions, like with Aphmau and Ovjang using the Silent Oil here.

1. As a reminder our poor girl has not done any of this to herself this time(kinda, time is a weird fucksywucksy thing and future Visaria did do this to herself).

2. Every single Ninja poofs in a cloud of smoke that is unscreenshotable.

3. Prishe was the start of actual heavy animation, Tenzen and Lion had a bit of it too. Naja is always playing with her mace. Aphmau and the puppets are all animated. Even in the background of update 123 everyone watching the mess including the poor Immortal in the throne room all have a fair bit of animation. Even Visaria emotes in about every scene now, in this update she spends the whole thing dejected. By time we get to Adoulin we will have FF14 levels of animation.

Anyway we are almost to the top of the rollercoaster.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

It was at this exact moment Visaria felt a frisson of fear running down her spine.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 126: Olduum

A Puppet's Slumber

Ugggh...

Last time I was here I didn't get a good look around, Blue things happened and I woke up in the palace.

Anyway my job is to make the place safe for Shantotto... That's a joke right?

I'm starting to think there is no plan and she just doesn't want to work. Isn't that what King is for?

These ruins are impressive though, I'd say that was worth the trip and Malboro stink.

(And yet your ruins don't have the thingamabob you need...)

Oh boy...

It doesn't seem like they've seen us yet.

I should probably go help her.

I... Alright. I'll help her.

Next time: It is still my problem?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I feel like calling for help when Shantotto is anywhere in the distance means you're just going to get shivved by her cutting remarks instead of a rat man's dagger.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The Immortals should probably have someone get friendly enough with the extremely important teen so that they can accompany her on her extracurricular activities.

poo poo, that's Visaria's job, isn't it.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 127: Pride

Of course I'll help her! I'm not about to let a kid get shanked (especially not an important one who I technically work for). What kinda cold hearted person would let a kid stay in a dangerous situation? Look I don't know what you may have heard about me giving guns to kids. That kid found that gun and I let him keep it, I didn't give him jack poo poo. Now the other pirates they gave him a gun, for me. For me to have specifically not they gave it to him on my behalf...

Now that I think about it giving a kid a fishing pole was probably a bad idea since you can fish up monsters... Okay you got me on that one. But it is important to look cool in front of the youths else they rise up and steal your moogle while you are out paying taxes or beating up a Diabolos.

Why am I here again?

I'm begging you please just leave them alone...

I have no control over my life.

Sigh.

Yeah this is gonna end well.

Is this is how I die?

Anxiety

Grrrk...

Whispers of the Gods

Empathy will be the death of me...

Best do as he says and forget about it and hopefully she does the same.

Next time: Not my problem!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

At least someone will remember your getting exploded fondly.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 128: Please Remember To Leave A Good Review

Whew! What a day of getting exploded.

Yeah. I feel ya Gessho. It has been a long day for me too. Ha ha ha... 'Twas a joke buddy... Okay yeah you seem to be dying, I'll get you some water.

Flare?

I know. I know. How desperate do you have to be to drink apple vinegar? I've done this before. Watering it down helps. I can not roast this bird.

We all know where this is going.

No bond is stronger than that of underpaid and overworked coworkers!

Please don't...

Sup nerds!

Did she leave a good review?

We did a Trust thing! Die for me!

Heh!

Ouch...

Double ouch...

drat. Sure stinks that I'm not on the list... And you can't throw Gessho out to die... And you sure as hell aren't putting yourself on that list knowing what happened to me...

Ta-dah!

First time to the execution chamber kid? Heh heh... Mind the magma. Heh heh...

But seriously the kid is gonna probably die. Mainly to Shantotto.

Next time: According to the management it is always my problem. Darn.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm just imagining the first enemy encounter, Shantotto's slinging explosions left and right while cackling and this poor guy is ducking and diving not to dodge the enemies, but to dodge her magic.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Now now, the glorious Shantotto does not abide friendly fire.

She simply has no friends, unfortunately.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

She really is an utterly awful person, I think I know how she became ambassador.

Also King of Hearts is likely made in her (mental) image.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 129: The Shield

Ever-Turning Wheels

Bustle of the Capital

Show some spine lad!

We all gotta go some time.

I dump on him but he probably isn't being paid either.

Don't think about it.

Don't you dare.

I hate my bosses.

I hide a snicker and head to the zoop.

Let me be clear, I'm not afraid of this place. I'm afraid of my boss(es).

Anyway I have to wait for Shantotto to get here now... Yep.

Ugggh... Okay look at it this way Visaria you did a good thing by not sending the lad to his death. Your greatest asset is that you are relatively unkillable by things that should kill you and you should share that gift. It would be nice to be paid for it though.

Next time: Several workplace safety violations.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Just catching up and 1: I had forgotten Shantotto was involved in this expansion at all because it's been so long; and 2: I said back during CoP I had four favorite characters--Prishe and Esha'ntarl and now we've met the other two - Aphmau and Luzaf (goddamn, I forgot how pretty that man is).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I feel like FF11's drama is sometimes let a bit down by the convoluted setups, but the comedy bits seem to hit very solidly and consistently.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 130: The Enemy Of My Enemy's Enemy Is My Enemy

Eternal Gravestone

Ululations from Beyond

Sometime, Somewhere

So why are we here again?

Ignore me I guess.

If I have to keep up kayfabe you do too King.

So what are the odds I have to fight the affront to the Goddess over there in the next 5 minutes?

Nevermind.

Welp, time to keep my boss alive.

Something, something, locked in with her.

So this was all for a wing? Ugh... I think I could have just bought one off the auction house boss.

Can we go home now?

Sounds like a job well done to me. I'm sure Naja will be happy.

Next time: Will I get paid? (No.)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I feel like the writing keeps steadily getting better. I love the double layer of Megomak pretending to be Gurfurlur's translator but changing everything slightly to benefit himself.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 131: Suffering From Success

I made both of them happy. I feel ill.

I nod and punch my palm. They love that.

This should be good.

I don't know what I expec-

ted...

Well you singed the carpet.

Wait. Does this mean I'm going home?

For real!?

(Shantotto you beautiful little demon! Thank you! Merciful Goddess!)

I can have my moogle packed in a few minutes! Screw the moogle! Let's just go now!

You can keep the crown! I'll be fine! Don't worry 'bout me!

Yes you could!

Please!

I feel sick.

She broke.

... Yes ma'am...

Yes ma'am...

Next time: Screw it. Let's finish Corsair.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

...is Naja asking her secretary to set up a line of totally-not-cocaine-seeds for her to get over this crushing disappointment?

I also can't tell if she really does like and appreciate Visaria but is just biologically unable to say it to her face, or if she'll say anything to get ahead in the mercenary business and would have happily agreed with Shantotto that Visaria should be beatified if there was a buck in it for her.

Divination by explosion is also a new one, but I like it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PurpleXVI posted:

...is Naja asking her secretary to set up a line of totally-not-cocaine-seeds for her to get over this crushing disappointment?

She's a cat. She's just going to smack them off the desk one by one.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Dude, :yikes:

Melomane Mallet posted:

Just catching up and 1: I had forgotten Shantotto was involved in this expansion at all because it's been so long; and 2: I said back during CoP I had four favorite characters--Prishe and Esha'ntarl and now we've met the other two - Aphmau and Luzaf (goddamn, I forgot how pretty that man is).

Aphmau is amazing. Seriously, the characters in these expansions are great. I think Prishe is still The Best but it's pretty close.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 132: Hydrogauge

Ululations from Beyond

Hey everyone... Boss kicked me out so I'm here now.

(It is never a good sign when people are looking for me. Honestly it kinda hurts.)

No, I have no idea what a hydrowhatsit is.

Neat, we have a boat.

So where do we(I... Let's be real.) get one?

Okay. No guidance. I'm going to do the stupidest thing possible.

Blackout

Luck.

Anyway I'll go drop it off. No one needs to know how stupidly I aquired this thing and I'll never tell.

Could you be any louder?

Just take this thing.

To be fair I did fish this piece of junk up. Well... Point me to the charger...

I think this is the thing? The glowing seems dangerous. Do I need special gloves for this?

I'll come back in a bit to see if it did anything.

-----------------------------
In a bit...
-----------------------------

Frick!

Please, can I have just one normal day?

Where's my doodad?

I've stepped in it now...

I can just go get(fish up...) another one probably...

Follow your Captain's orders.

One good Eviscerate is all it would take boss!

Ululations from Beyond

Hey everyone... Boss kicked me out so I'm here now.

Story time. Get snacks.

What a softy.

A pair of Corsair's Culottes, how thoughtful. I've earned the right to wear pants. My other bosses never gave me pants.

Gathering information? Understood I'm going to go get an outfit put together instead. Still I can't help but worry this assault on the empire will effect my other jobs.

Oh well!

I knew what I signed up for. If Naja or Shantotto didn't want me joining a bunch of pirates they should have said something before I joined a bunch of pirates.

Next time: Gearing up.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 133: Priorities

Hmm?

7/10. Better than what I usually see. Above average disguise, put your hair up and it will be a 8/10.

The rest of you I'm disappointed in.

I would have just shot him immediately but, y'know.

She's a softy.

An inflatable tube... How thoughtful...

Okay time to go... find some pirate threads!

To San d'Oria! Probably to a bar! I'll start with the one in the port, that seems the most pirate-like spot.

An old salty sea dog!

Fashion.

I can't bring myself to joke about Qultada's current status while I'm doing this and not immediately saving him.

Anyway he just wants a bunch of materials and an imperial gold piece. A trip to the auction house gets all I need.

I'll be sure to give everyone including Qultada your regards. But first I have to go to Bastok for some boots!

(They have a smell? Have I gone nose blind? Do I smell!?)

Outfit me.

Once again a quick trip to the auction house gets me what I need.

Yes, I really should go save the captain... but I still need gloves!

Gloves! Gloves! Gloves!

You know the drill.

Upsetting to say the least, this is turning out to be pretty expensive.

While I wait for the gloves to be made I have a little side adventure to do in Jeuno. You see I picked up a gun in the undersea ruins. It's a piece of crap but it might be worth something to the right person.

Nothing could go wrong with this at all. I've learned nothing.

So to unlock this power I need to use weaponskills, chaining weaponskills gives more points towards unlocking. If you trade the weapon back to Zal here he gives a very rough estimate of how close you are to being done. I need 250 points total and a single weaponskill is 1 point increasing as you get further in the skillchain. Lucky for me Corsair is very good at gaining TP.

My teeth tickle... I now permanently have a new weaponskill, arguably the strongest weaponskill I can get with some gearing work put in.

I did a good deed today, probably. Whatever. Let's grab my gloves and save the captain.

A job well done. My pockets are now lighter and I look more pirate-like.

Now it is finally time for me to cause problems for the Empire on purpose.

Next time: A pledge.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

My teeth tickle... I now permanently have a new weaponskill, arguably the strongest weaponskill I can get with some gearing work put in.

:yeshaha:

Honestly y'all, playing Corsair is so much fun. Powerful party-wide buffs and a myriad of ways to inflict massive damage :twisted:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cool new duds are the main reason to play an MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 134: Against All Odds

Black Coffin

Bang!

Delve

Heh good thing I have zoops otherwise the hour I spent firing off weaponskills would have been a problem.

Sigh. Who could have seen that coming?

Looks like the beast within has already taken his mind.

Seems she's lucky.

Here we go...

Man, if you only knew the half of it.

This was a mercy Immortal... May this be the last...

My time is precious and you were a waste of it.

Recollection

I've found yet another family.

Even if the captain is a dork, I prefer this ending to any other.

Eternal Gravestone

Well I'm officially on the Empire's most wanted list now. I wonder if that is gonna be a problem if I bump into the Empress again?

But at least I look cool.

Hmm... What about blue?

Not bad! How about red?

Maybe a little too much glitz... I should dial it back...

drat if I don't look good though!

Next time: Maybe Naja is better now? Maybe I can go home if I ask nicely?