Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Just found this! One can say I'm a... fan. of FFXI.

I played it for about 17 years before moving on to XIV in 2020. Tried to get into XIV since 1.0 but it never quite clicked until that time.

But nitpick from me, I absolutely hate the AI upscaled texture packs for XI. They muddle the detail too much and make everything look so weird and fake.

Look at what they did to my boy! :negative:

Kazy fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Finally caught up! :v:

Fat and Useless posted:

Where's the new watch that was sold out last time I checked to maybe buy it?

I have less disposable income these days :negative:

Fat and Useless posted:

As you can see there are little points to the crown that get lost and the griffons look more griffon. Even rear end in a top hat's face and hair have really good shading on the left picture.

Remember kids, this is a freakin' PS2 game(STILL developed on a PS2 dev kit singular). What the devs and the community have done to it over 21 years is pretty impressive(positive/negative).

That looks a lot better. Everything was too smoothed out and looked to painted in the higher res stuff. Poor Rochefongue looked ironed smooth.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

The Snoll Tzar was definitely one of major roadblocks for groups back in the day. Was a hell of a fight, iirc because it can do Berserk multiple times which boosts its attack, and also can self destruct, ending the fight immediately (iirc whether you survive or not).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

A few updates late, but now that it's been brought up by Diabolos, are we going to see Dynamis?

I think chronologically the cities come after defeating the Shadow Lord, I can't remember the unlock requirement for the Dreamlands Dynamis.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Insert the ancient Jabbos Defense meme here.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Just curious, which mission is this? Is this the one leading to 6-4?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

:getin:

also

quote:

A Crystalline Prophesy

God, I hope not. I think this is the single worst piece of story content in the game.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Ah yes, the Lay of the Immortals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eakiT6WhGo

(okay this is just an unrelated bonus track that I've been meaning to post but forgot the name of until now)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

This fight took my static 14 tries over weeks to clear. We did not have a full complement of 6 members so we picked up one or two in /shout. One of these temporary members went afk in the middle of the fight without saying anything. If it was an emergency, I don't recall them ever saying so.

I think on our win we ended up scraping by with less than a minute left on the clock.

This was probably the toughest fight in all of CoP due to reasons already stated. You had to either spend a bunch of gil on the CCB Polymer Pumps (did the other person mention these were one time use?), or do the short quest for them by farming diremites in Pso'Xja. Which was still level capped. Hope your party has someone with THF leveled!

Also if I recall, the CCB polymers didn't last nearly as long until a few updates later.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Only the Yovras want you dead. The goldfish just want to follow you around.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

The water isn't solid. It ripples as you walk over it, iirc.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Fat and Useless posted:

Hold on. I killed the two sons, there was a daughter too? Huh.

Wait, I thought I paid attention to these cutscenes but I don't remember this.

Is the Dawn Maiden a princess...?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

:allears:

I remember 8-3 (the jars) being the final "hard" fight of CoP. I think my group cleared it first try.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Pretty sure you've doubled up a screenshot and skipped a very important piece of dialog :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

You should post a screenshot of the pre-battle area of Empyreal Paradox. It's neat.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Fat and Useless posted:

I'll grab a cleaner shot of it later.

Ahh yeah didn't notice the screenshot of it earlier. It really is a surreal place and the screenshots don't quite do it justice.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Oh, are you planning on doing Apocalypse Nigh? It's a capstone for both Zilart and Promathia.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

It was such a great reward for the trials and tribulations that were mid-2000s era CoP. It was a drat journey that took my group the better part of two years to complete for me

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

You forgot to mention the reservation system and how only one group could be in the zone at a time. (Unless someone else mentioned this after the earlier entries)

(The "reservation" being when you traded the hourglass [1m gil at the time], it reserved it for just that hourglass for the next 3 hours. Basically the honor system with other linkshells)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Corsair was my main in XI, I really wish they'd add it to XIV. I still love it so much. :allears:

Helps that it's also the most OP job :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I gave up on BLU when I got to like level 10 (pre-exp buff era) without learning a single spell. :v:

Also I like this track for reading in-lore articles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP4svGh4Wh4

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

You don't need to Fold to keep a rotation up. Phantom Roll always overwrites the oldest one, so you can do Refresh and Magic accuracy on mages, and then Attack and Accuracy on DPS.

And then you can take off the ring, go into a corner and give yourself Magic Attack Bonus to boost your Leaden Salute damage even further. :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

COR is my favorite to the point where I still glam as a pirate in XIV :v:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Fat and Useless posted:

I would never ever suggest someone use third party tools in Final Fantasy 14 but for the sake of knowledge, not using, absolutely don't use this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpaZAniJB6Y

Remember I DON'T use this and you can't prove I do.

You know, I was holding out hope that they'd add Corsair in Dawntrail. But guess I'll have to.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I prefer the blue :v:

Also Leaden Salute paired with that one hairpin makes it the most OP. Damage used to cap at 65k roughly and I could hit that in certain situations with Leaden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

We all know Lore is about to happen when a painting shows up in FFXI.