Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Sanguinia posted:

Thinking on it a bit this morning, Iroha seems to be a true an artifact of her time. The early 00's, when XI came out, was the golden age of the "Magical Girlfriend Appears To Change My Ordinary Life," genre in Otaku Media. It was always a strong sub-genre, but the early 00s saw the debut and dominance of some major pillars that are still remembered and influential today, like Familiar of Zero, Shakugan no Shana, A Certain Magical Index, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime, and even the ascent of Bleach to Shounen Jump's "Big Three." Anime, Manga, Light Novels and Visual Novels were all ruled over by this type of story, and I think Iroha fits the mold.

The fact that your "ordinary life" in this case is an adventurer in a fantasy world is a twist on the genre, but not an unprecedented one.

It’s been a while since I’ve played XI but I’m pretty sure all of this isn’t the original quests from NA launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Being able to actually play smn is one of the few clarion calls of modern ff11 but oh crickets I don’t know if I have it in me.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The shorthand for tu’lia was sky, iirc. This is about as far as I remember getting in XI - I don’t recall ever doing the story fights, but I remember doing some of the bosses up here.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I have ugly memories of getting most of a set of elemental staves so I could macro swap in the right one for each spell, that sucked.