Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

PurpleXVI posted:

Also are half of these even real words? What the gently caress are "Induration" and "Scission"?

Scission /ˈsɪʃn/ noun The action or state of cutting or being cut.
Induration /ɪndʊˈreɪʃən/ noun The act of hardening

I blame Koji?

I haven't played since mid 2004 but back in my day we didn't have these fancy-schmancy third party tools. We printed out -- printing being necessary because FF11 prevented alt tab unless you ran Windower -- this skill chain chart

then found some chain that made sense for our current party and level and then timed our weapon skills and spells manually, like God intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

SIGSEGV posted:

No, the warframe thing is infinitely simpler, it's a straightforward (!!!) 00s RTS damage type / armor type interactions. This is, if I get it right, a multiplayer rhythm game flowchart?

A very slow rhythm game, since getting to 1000 TP for a weapon skill takes (used to take?) around a minute of auto attacks. Also the windows for chaining weapon skills and getting magic bursts are maybe 3s long? Very unsure on the exact timings, it's been forever.

A probable* sequence of events, ca 2003:
T = -30s: Monk says "Pulling Crab" in party chat.
T = -10s: Crab arrives at camp. Warrior Provokes it.
T = -3.5s: Black Mage swaps into Wind Damage gear and starts casting Tornado, an 8.5s cast Wind spell.
T = 0s: Monk uses Howling Fist.
T = 3s: Samurai uses Tachi: Yukikaze, causing an L1 Detonation Skill Chain.
T = 5s: Tornado hits, causing a Wind Magic Burst. Black Mage swaps into Earth Damage gear and starts casting Stonega II, a 4s cast Earth spell.
T = 7s: Dragoon uses Penta Thrust, causing an L2 Gravitation Skill Chain
T = 9s: Stonega II hits, causing an Earth Magic Burst. Black Mage gets aggro and is turned into mashed potato.

All that used to be coordinated in text, since party member TP wasn't actually displayed anywhere in the UI. Melee would have a couple different macros that wrote things like "TP: p%", "TP: p%! Weapon Skill Ready!", etc in party chat that they'd then spam to communicate their status. Once everyone had spammed text indicating that enough relevant weapon skills were up then whoever had to act first would use their chat macros to try to coordinate the actual chain on the next sufficiently significant crab, and hopefully everyone hit their marks well enough for the explosions to happen.

It's a pretty quaint system by today's standards, but it was a pretty big step up in gameplay from Everquest as far as cooperative MUD-style mob grinding goes. I guess aspects have changed a little over the last 20 years if doing your own skill chains is a thing many jobs do frequently, and not just something a Samurai maybe does once an hour.

* E: Well, probably a 2003 party would have done a completely different sequence of weapon skills and also hit whatever element crabs were weak to. Lightning? You should probably listen to the young, hip weirdos who still play the anime crab smashing game, instead of the old, washed-up weirdo who once did back in the misty depths of time.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 25, 2023

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Huh, XI has more story depth than I expected. From all the tales of terror I kind of just expected a grindier Everquest.

FF11 was a more approachable and less grindy game than EQ in most ways, not to mention that it looked and sounded much better -- perhaps unsurprisingly, since it was released 2½ years later. I'd say the base mechanics of 11 were more thought-out than EQ's. The skill chain chart might look overwhelming, but actually doing skill chains and timing XP chains in FF11 was a lot more interesting than hitting Kick once every 10 seconds.

The problem is that FF11, especially the US and EU releases, came at the very tail end of that particular era of the genre. Repeatedly killing mobs in groups was the main gameplay loop and being able to control combat entirely through chat commands was still an expected feature to ease in the MUD players.

All of that soon became very dated as the genre changed but it nothing about the gameplay loop was out of the ordinary compared to EQ, Lineage and the contemporary games that 11 was trying to compete with.