Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh that's... that is unexpected.

I never played FFXI but occasionally I hear someone's anguished cries about the game mechanics online.

This will be fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Starting off with time travel before we're even really started with the game, that's definitely one hell of a play.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Pyro Jack posted:

Hey, it's Gilgamesh. Just a Gilgamesh instead of the Gilgamesh but a Gilgamesh nonetheless.

Man, this sentence sounds insane for people who haven't played Final Fantasy games regularly.

A single Gilgaman instead of one of the Gilgamany.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

WARNING

These mini updates, while not spoiler filled, will break the illusion of the story! These are not mandatory reads at all! You can enjoy the rest of the LP and then come back to read these later if you'd like the curtains to stay closed.

I'll say that I'm very interested in the mechanics.

One thought, though, could we get a few more looks at the areas we're in in the main updates?

Also are half of these even real words? What the gently caress are "Induration" and "Scission"?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

As long as astral doesn't start pointing an uzi at me I will fill this stupid thread with as many shots of the landscape as you all want. Mostly starting next expansion when you start seeing more land that isn't just copy paste snow, wasteland, grassland, forest, cave. Especially in these early updates before we smash into plot I'm trying to just get wheels moving. What I can do for now is each time I hit a new area I'll take a couple shots of the area that kinda look unique? The cities I can at least take some good pictures in.

I mean, judging by the damage I've done to my LP threads, which usually involve something in excess of 500 or 600 images at ~100kb each(roughly 900x500 resolution, since there seems to be a general agreement you want 900 pixels wide for your screenshots), not counting the various character heads and occasional 2mb .gifs, it takes a decent bit to make Astral cry. :v:

It took me a while to remember, but now I finally recall what all these extra elements reminded me of: The goddamn Warframe damage types, where you mix the basic elements to get stuff like magnets and radiation for hitting people, robots and robot people with.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I feel like XIV's comparatively shallow mechanics might've been fuelled by someone's PTSD over playing XI.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So how's the whole class thing work? Are you stuck with your starting class but able to switch secondaries or something like that?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So wait is the Dark Knight quest really to just mangle 200+ of [anything] with a lovely weapon?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Maybe chocobos just taste awful so monsters don't want to deal with having their eyes pecked out for chocobo drumsticks.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

My prediction is that uh oh spaghettios these two goons are the actual villains and they want Beastman magicite so they can summon the Shadowlord or some such evilness.

Also is any of the actual fighting/dungeoning worth showing off at this stage of the game or is it very bland?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, XI has more story depth than I expected. From all the tales of terror I kind of just expected a grindier Everquest.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This was a time before quest markers, minimaps, zone teleports and map indicators. Half the areas you go to you wouldn't even have a map unless you went out of your way to get it. And all you had to use on it were map pins you set yourself.

I liked it, the confusion could lead to you to places you might normally never have found. Obscure corners of areas where weird monsters lurked. It made the world feel alive, populated, and dangerous, where the overworld in XIV feels mostly vestigial after you're done with the MSQ and all the zones are pretty dead. Be honest, when was the last time you stepped outside a city in XIV for anything? In XI you would often run past other people just doing random errands because running or riding places was the only way to get anywhere. Or you would run past a whole linkshell on their way to kill a boss.

The overworld in FF14 could be completely deleted and nothing would be lost except some nice vistas and an awful lot of terrible fetchquests and visiting Minfilia, there's no meaningful gameplay there, no meaningful challenges, nothing interesting or relevant to discover.

So yeah, mark me down for being nostalgic for the era of having to gently caress around, find out and discover things the hard way.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I can never get over the goofy-rear end Elvaan proportions.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Monsters having classes also reminds me of Guild Wars 1. Do they have access to the full array of abilities that a player of equal level would have?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh thank God, I thought you were going to end up with a goofy Batman mask like Zeid.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The future is stored in the orbs.

I like the crags and spines, they stand out from the rest of the world design in a way that makes you take notice of them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The soundtrack is really quite solid.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I mean, they were predictably evil, but it's an interesting twist to see which TYPE of evil.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

At least the Mithra are having fun sending you into mortal danger.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

lmao, I am immensely amused that they actually made it take more of the smaller races to weigh down pressure plates. It's that sort of absurd minor detail that tells you that, whatever issues this game might have had, some of the people worked on it really were doing their best.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So, wait.

You break your level limits by having a "brown mage" explode the weakness out of your "bowels"? This isn't beating the level cap, this is magical dysentery!

Also what're the passive upgrades you can gain for your fully levelled jobs if you set your XP towards that instead? Are they useful or just marginal +1% to Crab Damage Under A Waxing Moon On Tuesdays stuff?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

2. Get a friend and level sync. If you are 65 you can sync down to your friend at level 45 and kill "easier" things for pretty good xp. Your gear scales down with you and you lose higher level spells and abilities when synced. What people would do for a time is if they couldn't get a group going for things at their high level you find a friend in valkrum crab range and sync down to just murder crabs. With trusts this is not really needed unless you want to play with a pal.

So say, if I'm level 40, and level down to level 20 to grind crabs, working my way up to level 30, and then rubber-band back to normal levelling... am I then level 50? Or is it less linear?

Also I'm glad I never played FFXI, I feel like all this character-building and ticking all the boxes would have utterly consumed my every waking moment.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I like the twist that in this case the "legendary warriors" are in fact legendary badguys, rather than the legendary badasses that show up to save the day whenever evil rears its head.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I still look forward to seeing a jRPG church that isn't bad.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm a bit surprised that the Marquis of Tavnazia is a "conspicuously evil presence" when his reasons for wanting revenge(i.e. being killed because the alliance needed some unwitting bait) seem reasonably legitimate in the grand scheme of spectral things.

Also at first I thought you were just beating up, like, black elves, not ghost elves. They could at least have made them kind of spectral and seethrough or something.

Is there actually a ruined Tavnazia on the world map where you can go hang out and risk getting mugged by monsters?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Mithra NPC's you interact with all seem to be a combination of mischievous and slightly stoned, a bit absent, not too concerned with the consequences of things, usually focused on something that's important to them but makes your life more complicated.

Just what you need after walking around a quicksand pit and getting attacked by what looks like a giant demonic vase.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, does the game play around a lot with different "aggro conditions" for enemies?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Do "hearing" and "smelling" you have a meaningful difference outside of what status counters it? Like, if you stand still and aren't using any skills, are you "silent" and thus can wait for a patrolling monster to pass? Or do you constantly generate sound and "odor"? Are certain actions louder than others? Do you "smell" more in certain situations?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I honestly really like these aggro mechanics, and I wish more games played around with stuff like that. Stuff like being able to cross water to lose a scent trail is the sort of thing that makes the map itself important to the player. I like it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Giving swords to small children: truly the meaning of adventure.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, I would've thought the Elvaan would be a more primary target what with being a healer.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, not what I expected to see under the eyepatch.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So is the floaty island an explorable area now? Or is it only accessible for that boss fight?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

With that bomb ash and bone chips I thought Shantotto just wanted to make a pipe bomb to blow the peeper up.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

When the quests have "please come back later"-moments. Is that just so you CAN take a break or is there actual a realtime break needed before you can continue them?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

Main Weapons: Sword & Club

Your off-hand slot is going to be a shield 99% of the time. Swords are by far the best weapon for a Paladin however they can use a club very well if needed.

In most games that have clubs, they're like a default or trash weapon for if you really can't wield anything else. Does FFXI have any classes for whom clubs is the best weapon? Or any superlative clubs in general?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, the FFXI protagonist really does end up being everyone's therapist.

Also how well-hidden are these quests? Are any of them missable or are they reasonably signposted?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Capital Letdown posted:

I had specifically leveled Staff a bunch on my Paladin for soloing.

This makes me wonder: Is there any max level of total power? Like do you at some point have to de-level one thing to level-up another, or pick one type of specialization over another? Or can you max all the skills and classes and learn all the things, creating one magnificent multitool character that can unfold any horrible piece of their arsenal given time?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That was a surprisingly touching Dragoon quest, not what I expected at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So with status effects like Charm, do they always take effect or is there some sort of save or resistance roll against them?