Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
I wore far too many of those subligar to ever mock anyone else for them. :v:

Would also put in a request to show off Blue Mage and Corsair when they become available. You already said you're doing Dark Knight, so that would be all three of my former mains covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

I can say this for now, 11 and 14 are two wildly different games.

Oh boy howdy are they ever.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Blue Mage has like five separate charts and an excel spreadsheet, and that's why it was my absolute favourite job in this entire game. Maybe even series.

And then XIV butchered it.

I wonder if this thread will turn into an impromptu group therapy session like every gathering of XI players inevitably does. :allears:

:hai:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Keldulas posted:

The sub job has to be leveled to that point, half level is just the cap. Not having a fully leveled sub job was a good way to not get picked up for a group, especially as a dime a dozen DPS.

...Or was a good way to get out of being requested/forced into a sub-optimal one.

"Hey, Ms. 40 Corsair, can you sub /whm? We have a PL*, but would like some extra heals."
"Nope, sorry, my whm is only 15. /dnc ok?"
"......Yeah, sure. That's fine."

*Party leveler; old school leveling would frequently have someone higher level outside the party who would heal/raise ppl and take aggro off high level stuff that wandered too close. And yes, this exchange was based off a actual party invite convo I had while leveling corsair.

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 30, 2023

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Huh, XI has more story depth than I expected. From all the tales of terror I kind of just expected a grindier Everquest.

FF11 has some amazingly good stories; it's just that for most of it's existence it was locked behind horrible old school MMO grind.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I was going to remark on this too. Even when it got changed down everyone I knew still kept calling them 2h abilities.

Ah, I genuinely miss this game so much. There was a rumour that SE would unify the FFXI and FFXIV subs to be one sub, and that would get me playing again honestly.

This and a combo of porting it to the ps4/5, yes. Helps I have a bunch of friends who went back to it during FF14's covid content drought.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

It really kinda is pretty short even for being just the base game. The expansions get longer and longer as we go on and most of the story is connected so buckle up folks we just laid some groundwork.

My understanding is that the first expansion was originally suppose to be part of the base game, but the second half got split off for reasons? Anyway, it's why both the base and RotZ are both so short. And yeah, the seam in the split gets obvious in retrospect.

PurpleXVI posted:

The soundtrack is really quite solid.

We haven't even gotten to the majority of the good stuff yet. :allears:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

Miscellaneous Chapter 2: Leveling and Crab
*huge quality of life poo poo*

...Yeah, the leveling experience has changed a lot since I quit in 2013. And yet the old maxim, "there is a crab for every level" remains true.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

It is explorable forever as it was a zone for endgame activities back in the day.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I am 99.9% certain Apururu is a lady.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

Boy do I have fond memories of Chains. The boss fights were hard as hell. F&U is 100% not kidding about the music BTW, CoP's OST is aces.

Yeah, personally, I'd put ToAH higher on the favorites list, but it's really close. Chains is still super awesome, even if I completed it before The Changes (for good, ftr), I am very glad it's so much more accessible now. Level capped *zones* anyone? :shepicide:

And the music is so good they named the entire NA concert tour after the ending theme!

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Hahaha. Look, at least it's not Cure spells doing tens of thousands of damage to undead. That happened once.

I remember that!

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Are there any quests involving the Archduke that disappear if you bonk him before doing them, or otherwise have weird things happen? Or does he mostly only pop up in the main questline?

Just the main quests. The really amusing thing is starting Chains does not require having finished Rise of the Zilart. So you could be seeing these cutsceens *before* you've killed him.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I greatly appreciate Prishe's zero-bullshit approach to the plot and her fellow NPC's.

:hai: I also hate that trio of annoying Tarus and wish to punt them into the sun.

And! There are four characters in FF11, I consider "My faves"; Prishe is the first, maybe!Zilart lady is the second, and the other two won't show up till Treasures of Aht Urhgan.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I didn't level BLM past subjob level, so she only showed up briefly in the Windrust branch of Wings of the Goddess, so I didn't have enough interactions with her to form an opinion. :v:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

...urge to punt... rising...

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

...Oh god, I had completely blocked this from my mind. :shepicide:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Bregor posted:

Another good CoP track.

Naoshi Mizuta is criminally underrated when it comes to FF composers.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Why would anyone design a status effect that can last two hours? :dogstare:

Tanaka! /FF11meme :shepicide:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Oh, those bastards.

I remember one post on the forums that was like "please let us have a fight against the 3 CoP tarus, I don't care if it drops an insect wing, I just want to hurt them."

Just repeating this, because it will never not be true.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Capital Letdown posted:

"All right we got six people, all looking to do the battlefield, everyone ready?"
"just gotta catch a couple cutscenes then I will be"

Naturally thats a multiple hours long hold up.

I had an LS mate who wanted to get throught CoP; his initial shouts got about 15 ppl to join. The whole thing was, "we'll do the battlefields for you, but since we're meeting once a week, doing the cutscenes inbetween is on you." By the end it was him, me, and a friend of his from another LS and the three of us begging our friends/LS mates for help.

Fat and Useless posted:

Chapter 55: Fenrir

I love Esha'ntarl; she's the best. :allears:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Ah yes, the big twist of CoP: the beast tribes aren't the children of Promathia: ...but if they aren't, then who is?! :iiam:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Ever get the sense that Esha'ntarl is the protagonist of an entirely different game happening concurrently with this one?

Also yeah her pact with Bahamut was that she would find and destroy the Keeper whenever they came around and if she hosed it, Bahamut would use his nuclear option to destroy all of the mortals to make sure he gets 'em. It's using an airstrike to kill a spider, but it will work. She has summarily hosed it, not really through any fault of her own, mind, but she ain't gonna let Bahamut just raze the world without going down fighting.

More proof Esha'ntarl is the best. :colbert:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Huh, you know I never leveled thief for anything other than a subjob, so I never knew there was an explanation for the Louverance/"Louverance" thing.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

Chapter 77. Tenzen

So this for fight I just need to beat Tenzen by getting his health low enough for him to surrender. The triplets throw spells at me and heal and buff Tenzen throughout the fight, to make things worse they are invulnerable.

This, here, is the final "gently caress theses assholes" moment in their story, cause boy howdy, did these motherfuckers ruin parties, because, again, the fuckers cannot be targeted. You have to deal with Tenzen *and* heals/buffs you cannot do anything about.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

...Distant Worlds, a song so awesome they named an entire concert tour after it... :allears:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Bregor posted:

And again, lol. Visaria needs a fainting couch or something.

If I had dollar for every time my character fainted/went unconscious so the NPCs could do plot things...

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

This is really kind of fascinating for me; I stopped playing before Rhapsodies was a thing, so I'm seeing a lot of new stuff which is... interesting in retrospect. Really want to see where these additions go.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Yes... YES! Embrace the azure!

:namazu:

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

11 Blu is best Blu, and it's not even close.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Just catching up and 1: I had forgotten Shantotto was involved in this expansion at all because it's been so long; and 2: I said back during CoP I had four favorite characters--Prishe and Esha'ntarl and now we've met the other two - Aphmau and Luzaf (goddamn, I forgot how pretty that man is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

Bregor posted:

The Empyrean set (minus the ridiculous hat+eyepatch) is my favorite, I rocked that a bunch while playing Corsair.

:same: