Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

One day I will have to explain Blue Mage. Blue Mage has it's own skill chain chart.

Blue Mage has like five separate charts and an excel spreadsheet, and that's why it was my absolute favourite job in this entire game. Maybe even series.

And then XIV butchered it.

I wonder if this thread will turn into an impromptu group therapy session like every gathering of XI players inevitably does. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Pyro Jack posted:

I'm honestly glad that I never played FFXI before all the various QoL stuff.

I'm glad I did play it before. Despite how much everyone pisses and moans, they were still honestly the best gaming years of my life. XI formed friendships through shared suffering in a way XIV just doesn't.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ordelle's Caves are one of those areas I always forget exists. There's so much of the world that serves very little purpose unless you're on one of the 3 or 4 quests that send you that way. But I kind of like that.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

So as an example you can sub job Red Mage for some utility spells or Ninja to dual wield on a job that can't normally.

[BradyGamesGuide] Try using White Mage as a support job for Warrior so you can heal yourself! [/BradyGamesGuide]

Note: Do not do this.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

LiefKatano posted:

When you set a sub-job does it matter how high you have that job leveled, or is it just a hard "current sub job level = half your main job level"?

Ex. if I'm playing a level 75 black mage, have never touched white mage, and set white mage as a sub job, do I have a level 37 white mage sub job or do I need to level it up?

You would be BLM75/WHM1. You need to level it separately.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Red Mage was my main for about 5 years and boy do I have things to say about that job.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The entire levelling period 10-75, and for most of the endgame of two expansion packs, Summoners were expected to sub WHM and be (extremely gimped) healers, and rarely if ever use the actual summoned avatars.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Man, with all these new conveniences in the game I feel like a little something was lost. For those who don't know, there used to be a relatively "strict" level progression for the most part. You'd level solo until 10, and then you were expected to travel to Valkurm Dunes to party up from 10-20. (This is the start of the lifelong vendetta against crabs.) That's not too awful, except for those from Windurst, because it meant you had to boat over from Selbina. But for Sandy and Bastok players it just meant running through La Theine or Konschtat respectively. Just one zone, mostly appropriately levelled to you.

But man, once you hit 20... the next designated levelling spot was Qufim Island. To level on more crabs. The problem with that is that it's two zones out from either La Theine of Konschtat, and everything in the majority of both will check as Incredibly Tough and will kill you. To explain that, the /check command lets you estimate a monster's level (no, it's not just floating above their heads). "Even match" means you're the same level. "Tough", "Very Tough" and "Incredibly Tough" mean it's slightly, moderately, and far above your level respectively. Roughly you can think of those as 1-3, 4-6, and 7+ levels above you but it's not that exact.

So you're left with the legendary Jeuno run. Your goal is to get to Jeuno and set your home point there. You have to pass through two entire zones without being detected and killed, or you lose EXP (and yes you can level down, and the sound effect haunts me to this day -- you could play it in a crowd of FFXI veterans and watch everyone flinch) and have to start the run over. Nowadays, you can get Sneak and Invisible from the books at the entrance of every zone. Back in 2000-odd... well you weren't likely able to afford any stealth items from the Auction House on your first job, so you just had to manually stealth it. You can't get chocobos until you get to Jeuno, as we've seen.

This was basically a rite of passage, and as you can tell, it's one of the many shared traumas that bond all FFXI veterans.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

Don't mouse and keyboard FF11. Please.

Agreed. Real chads use keyboard only. :smuggo:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I got quite good at one-handing the numpad and arrow keys to move around and swing the camera at the same time. You never really need to touch the mouse. Leaves your left hand free for macros. Even for targeting stuff, the F keys all do different useful stuff and you can use one of those as a starting point and tab to your intended target pretty quick.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Kam'lanaut is a renowned hero, I'll have you know. :colbert:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I kind of enjoyed this mission because those massive spines are just all over the world, and you've definitely seem them everywhere. You've probably run along one or more of them just to see if you could (you can). You might even have worked out where they connect. But this is the first inkling you get of what they actually are. And nobody has drawn attention to it in a big heavy handed way, that I can recall, so far.

XI has so many cool concepts that make you ask "what the heck is this thing?" before answering it further down the line, and this is just the first one. There are mysteries and secrets hidden everywhere. Sometimes those things are just lore for a quest. Sometimes those secrets try to murder you.

Boy that Ulrich chap sure seems like a dickhead! Sure hope the consequences of his fuckery aren't too grand.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 6, 2023

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
This was a time before quest markers, minimaps, zone teleports and map indicators. Half the areas you go to you wouldn't even have a map unless you went out of your way to get it. And all you had to use on it were map pins you set yourself.

I liked it, the confusion could lead to you to places you might normally never have found. Obscure corners of areas where weird monsters lurked. It made the world feel alive, populated, and dangerous, where the overworld in XIV feels mostly vestigial after you're done with the MSQ and all the zones are pretty dead. Be honest, when was the last time you stepped outside a city in XIV for anything? In XI you would often run past other people just doing random errands because running or riding places was the only way to get anywhere. Or you would run past a whole linkshell on their way to kill a boss.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

What was I doing 20 years ago? I can't remember

Playing red light, green light with a cat or something equally silly, no doubt.

Huh, you can use trusts in Maat now? That's nice. Let me tell you about Red Mage Maat... ha ha ha...

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PurpleXVI posted:

Monsters having classes also reminds me of Guild Wars 1. Do they have access to the full array of abilities that a player of equal level would have?

Generally, no. Grunt or fodder mobs will usually only have the spell lists of the classes they ostensibly have -- except in the case of Summoner, where normal monsters cannot use the Avatars and can only summon one element of Spirit to assist them. Notorious Monsters can have some or all of the actual Job Abilities of the class, depending on which one it is. Some of these are nigh-useless to a monster (Manafont, for example, when monsters have huge MP reserves) and so in these cases the ability usually unlocks something else. Manafont might add new spells to the monster's spell list for the duration, or something like that. Mijin Gakure, the Ninja's selfdestruct ability, usually has its drawback of instantly KOing yourself removed in a monster's hands.

There is also a (sadly abandoned) system in the game whereby players get to play as monsters and romp around the world killing other monsters. In these situations you DO have full access to the Job Abilities of whatever you're piloting, iirc. They forgot to give this system any useful rewards and so it died in the cradle.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Feels so weird seeing them called one hours. They were still 2 hour cooldowns last time I played.

I was going to remark on this too. Even when it got changed down everyone I knew still kept calling them 2h abilities.

Ah, I genuinely miss this game so much. There was a rumour that SE would unify the FFXI and FFXIV subs to be one sub, and that would get me playing again honestly.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

I have no idea why they decided to include scythes in 11 honestly. Great axes are right there. Dark is extremely based off Cecil and even Zeid uses a great sword.

You could say the same about why do guns/crossbows co-exist. Why are archery and marksmanship separate skills? Honestly it's just a flavour thing as far as I can tell. Rule of cool.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

Did guns exist before ToAU? I only have memories of Hexagun days and leveling crafting just to make bullets.

I wonder how much it would break things if they tried to move archery into marksmanship and change the unique Ranger weaponskills.

The relic Marksmanship weapon was always Annihilator, so yeah. But there were very few of them.

It would probably gently caress up a ton of things. There's loads of things the devs would like to do, but the FFXI codebase is a house of cards that is built on sand and covered in spaghetti. One particularly memorable version update resulted in Cure spells damaging undead for about 100x more than they were meant to, so for a hectic few hours everyone went out and soloed as many undead Abyssea NMs as they could until the emergency maintenance. Nothing in the preceding version update had anything to do with cure spell values.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
20k gil for saving the world seems like a bit of an underpayment.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

Our girl was too out of it to fight about it. In total she has earned 39,050 Gil from the San d'Oria government. She has roughly 12.2 million in her pocket and her net worth is double that at least. If you were to straight up buy one(of many) of the best weapons for your Job it would be 65-80 million Gil. A bed is 30-50k depending on the day. It would take 1300-1600 beds sold to new adventurers to buy a weapon (for one Job, for one hand).

Wealth is fake. World is doomed because I can't afford food.

I'm old enough to remember when fighting the Shadow Lord was the preferred way to get the Airship Pass. 500k was an absurd amount of money in the CoP era.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ark Angel TT is the only reason I can think of that Black Mages can use scythes.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

quote:

Heh. They're grouped by skillchain. Cute.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

gently caress. I just checked. I hate that.

The one on the left beats the one on the right, too. In fact the whole elemental wheel zigzags down there.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 22, 2023

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

Okay so the joke originally was Valkrum was probably your first real party experience in this game and was probably where you quit if you didn't jive with the game ages ago. You still probably killed hundreds. Crabs are simple mobs. They don't hurt much, they have a reliable weakness of ice and lightning, they are easy to hit so you don't need lots of accuracy gear or buffs, and there tends to be a bunch of them close together.

Yeah, their set list of TP moves is pathetic, which is what made them (and crawlers, you'd kill a lot of crawlers too) such attractive levelling targets.

From memory, the crab TP move list is;

Scissor Guard: A defense up buff. Can be dispelled.
Bubble Shower: A very low damage AoE water attack with STR down. The STR Down can be Erased. (Incidentally, the STR Down debuff is also water elemental, because the STR stat is aspected to Fire, and Water beats Fire)
Bubble Curtain: Shell.
Metallic Body: A laughably pathetic Stoneskin. You could dispel it but your damage dealers will likely have destroyed it by the time you finish casting.
Big Scissors: The only real damaging TP move. Basic physical damage. Not a lot, though.

So 3/5 of their moves don't even damage you, and one of the ones that does is so weak it might as well not. Basic crabs are all Paladins (with no spellcasting ability), so they have low STR, and this is why they can be Aspir'd for MP, another trait that made them desirable for exp parties containing mages.

Compare this to trying to level off Goblins, with their three-hit Goblin Rush attack, and their AoE Bomb Throw (and the suicide bomb variant that does Breath-type damage calculated from current HP), or Scorpions with their huge damage Death Scissors and AoE Wild Rage, both backed up by a 50% Attack Boost off of Sharp Strike, and you see why Crabs were a popular target.

Melomane Mallet posted:

...Yeah, the leveling experience has changed a lot since I quit in 2013. And yet the old maxim, "there is a crab for every level" remains true.

A crab for every level, and always a bunny that can murder you.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 25, 2023

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

God I loving love this place.

Third best place in the game. That low poly version is kinda funny, though.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Keys? For Garlaige Citadel? They did away with needing four people for the door?

I know there was a thing from expac #4 that could get you past it by trading a flower, but I didn't know they nerfed it again.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

First room on the right down the stairs from the entrance there is a permanent key item on the floor that works for all 3 doors. This is a screwed up age we live in. Next I bet all the wait a real life days will turn into wait one hours or something. Worlds going to hell I tell you what. Kids today with their teleport crystals... We walked dammit, no chocobo!

Ha. I do remember when chocobo prices were entirely based on demand, so catching a chocobo from one of the three primary crags could run you up to like, 4k. Which at the time I'm talking about, was a lot.

Anyway that certainly takes almost all of the sting out of what everyone called Garbage Shittadel. EXPing in front of door #1 would often see people rock up and ask you to do the door for them. Mid fight. And there was always the possibility of losing a party member to a floor hole and them getting eaten by Serket.

Did they nerf the other egregious poo poo? I know QSC has its stone, did they ever fix Horutoto? Is Oztroja less of a pain with memorising levers? Does Beadeaux still have the curse gimmick?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

Three mage gate? No tractor trough it with help from a friend behind it, there is a teleport book once you do.

No.

Yes.

The accommodations only get so far then! Although I forgot about the book teleports, they were a thing when last I played.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
PS2 Limitations was the original incarnation of the XIV PS3 Limitations meme.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Wait, you can ride in Ro'Maeve? I am like 80% sure you couldn't chocobo through there when I played because I remember standing by the entrance handing out Sneak/Invis to my endgame LS.

fight the invisible thing

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PurpleXVI posted:

Huh, does the game play around a lot with different "aggro conditions" for enemies?

This is one of the neater implementations of it, but as a quick rundown, there are aggro types and there are tracking types. Mostly these are determined by monster family and monsters can have more than one of these.

Sight is fairly self explanatory, a frontal cone. True Sight is not fooled by the Invisible spell. Orcs and goblins are sight aggro.

Sound is also easy, it's just a radius around the monster. True Sound is not fooled by Sneak. Bats and crabs aggro by sound.

Scent is different, nothing aggros to scent. But monsters track by scent, so a monster you're running away from can follow you even if it loses sight/sound of you. Scent tracking fails if you run across water; the monster will follow the scent trail to the point you crossed the water and then de-aggro as it loses the scent. Deodorize also works, but they will still follow the trail up to where you cast it. Crawlers aggro sound but track by scent, for example.

Magic aggro that was demonstrated in this little adventure. Like it sounds, if you cast a spell near these guys they attack you. Bombs and elementals aggro to magic.

Blood aggro is Low HP aggro. If your HP is 50% or less, so yellow on the HUD, these monsters attack you. Think of it as sound aggro that only activates at low HP. It can be kind of a large aggro radius! Skeletons and ghosts have blood aggro.

Linking is technically a separate behaviour where a monster will join in a fight if it sees/hears a monster of its same family being attacked. They don't have to see the player, so this isn't aggro -- they just have to see/hear a family member in combat.

But yeah, I thought Shikigami was one of the more unique encounters in the game, so it's a nice little thing to show. He also has an interesting origin! Because the internet was always a hive of misinformation, back in 2003-4 or so, there was a rumour spread about a "Faszasher Death Weapon" in Ro'Maeve, which was supposed to spawn every 150 days and be a challenge for 18 level 75 players. As people started saying the rumour was bullshit, the detail of it spawning invisible was added to keep the myth alive. Eventually, datamining put an end to the rumour by showing no such monster existed in the zone data. A year later and Square Enix added Shikigami weapon as an homage to the rumour. Really, the 150 day respawn time should have been the death knell -- NM spawn timers reset every server maintenance, and those were every 90 days or so at that point. A 150 day spawn would literally never spawn.

Fazasher Death Weapon's supposed drops were "Clear Sword" and "Margin Shield". No such items ever existed, naturally.

Shikigami isn't the only NM to be added by SE as a response to player bullshit; in the same update Taisaijin was added. Taisaijin is a reference to a prank played by a japanese player. When the new (at the time) Red Mage spell Refresh was added, nobody could figure out how to acquire the scroll to learn it at first. Upon seeing a japanese player cast the spell, a curious player asked him where he got it. He answered, "I got it off a Taisai", monsters that spawn in Ranguemont Pass. What followed was a rush on the Taisai as people camped them endlessly. Taisai... never dropped the Refresh scroll, of course.

Taisaijin also has a unique-ish spawn mechanic, in that he requires a Taisai to be left alive for 24 real life hours, at which point it will have a chance to despawn and be replaced by Taisaijin. This chance is repeated every subsequent 24 hours.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 15, 2023

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

Also sitting down to heal makes EVERYTHING angry in a small area.

Only if it aggros in the first place! You can sit down next to all Ronfaure bunnies you want.

But yeah normally stuff doesn't aggro if you're more than 10 levels above it. Linking and /rest aggro (I think /sit also does this?) bypass this level restriction.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

IthilionTheBrave posted:

A quirk of blood/HP aggro is that, at least when I played, taking a knee to rest and recover HP & MP would also trigger blood aggro regardless of your current HP level. I think some bats would also aggro to resting. And HP and MP did not have passive regen naturally, so a careless player could quickly find themselves swarmed by bats and undead if they try resting in the wrong spot.

Edit: beaten to it, with probably more precise details.

Bats also sound aggro, so it was likely that. I'm not actually aware of a mob type that ONLY aggros blood come to think of it. Skellies, ghosts, corses and corpselights all aggro true/sound, hounds, dvergar and vampyrs are true/sight.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Crab gang: "You came to the wrong neighbourhood, motherfucker."

Look all I'm saying is Vana'diel is a dangerous place and you should be careful what alleyways you walk down at night.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Divine Might is such an amazing fight. The primary strategy back in its heyday was to pull everything into the long tunnel leading to the arena, because Ark Angel TT can't actually leave the arena, possibly due to his flying movement. The rest would be "supertanked", which is a weird tank technique that exploits the aggro system.

FFXI's aggro system consists of two parts; CE and VE. CE is Constant Enmity, and it never decreases over time. VE is Volatile Enmity and it decreases over time or by taking damage from the monster. Whichever player has the highest combined CE and VE is the aggro target. If you cast a healing spell on a target who has CE or VE from an enemy, you gain CE and VE from that enemy too, so healers can take aggro by bombing people with heals too much.

But there's the rub: if. You know what grants zero CE or VE? A monster aggroing you. So a tank can run in, have all the Ark Angels aggro to him, and take exactly zero actions against any of them (self buffs are fine). Thus generating zero enmity. And with zero enmity, a small squadron of healers can fling as many high powered healing spells at him as they like with no chance of pulling aggro at all. And from there the rest of the alliance can peel off one Ark Angel at a time and drag them to the other end of the murder hallway and, well, murder them in sequence. At the end everyone piles into the middle and beats Ark Angel TT to death.

Also as an aside, Eald'narche's super attack in the mobile spinoff game Dissidia Opera Omnia is "Divine Might". I won't link it yet because this storyline isn't over yet, but once Zilart is finished you can see how much the DOO devs love FFXI and lovingly recreate all it's bullshit in chibi mobile game form.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PurpleXVI posted:

Huh, not what I expected to see under the eyepatch.

He caught a crystal in the eye at high velocity. It worked out for him though, it's why he doesn't age.

I like Eald'narche and Kam'lanaut, even if they're not terribly intimidating as bosses nowadays (well, Eald'narche never really was.) Fond memories of catching a Light Blade in the face from Kam after his hate reset, for an instant death.

Now the imminent threat is over, I'm guessing it's time to explore this garden of unearthly delights terrors that Visaria now owns by right of conquest?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Surely red legs aren't outdated? Or did they somehow improve on them?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bregor posted:

There are new and improved red legs! Plus a nice array of other movement speed items now. Most jobs have 18% movement speed at 119, with a few dumb exceptions (SAM I think is stuck at 12%, DNC needs to do some really dumb outdated content for 18%, I'm sure I'm forgetting some)

OR

You can choose to get a movement speed ring at the end of a future expansion that all jobs can wear, and miss out on some other really unique and useful rings in the process. Sometimes XI just can't get out of its own way.

Goodness. If they would unify the sub for XI and XIV I'd be back in a heartbeat. I have an iLvl119 BLU all raring to go. Got the sword from Tojil and everything.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I do love Shantotto. Thank god we're not done with her by a long shot, eh?

Between this and the Banjo thread going on, I kind of want to see a Shantotto vs Gruntilda rap-off.

Though there was that scene in Dissidia NT where she went up against Ultimecia, of all people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkHp2MYiBOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PurpleXVI posted:

When the quests have "please come back later"-moments. Is that just so you CAN take a break or is there actual a realtime break needed before you can continue them?

Sometimes you need to grind rank points by turning items in to the gate guards before you can get the next mission.