Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I'm one of the weirdos who played XI keyboard only with extensive use of macros to do basically everything. I very rarely used the actual menus to use abilities or weaponskills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Feels so weird seeing them called one hours. They were still 2 hour cooldowns last time I played.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I had a cat that would like to lie on my desk right below the monitor and grab at my hand as I tried to use the keyboard. She also liked to pretend she was an aloof loner and didn't love me, despite following me around the house and usually hanging out somewhere nearby.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Notably FFXI never really did anything resembling proper robes, capes, cloaks, etc. At least back when I played. They were heavily held back by PS2 hardware for quite a while. Was it mentioned in the OP that you could play this on a PS2? I think you needed a special hard drive attachment or something, I never actually did it that way.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
A quirk of blood/HP aggro is that, at least when I played, taking a knee to rest and recover HP & MP would also trigger blood aggro regardless of your current HP level. I think some bats would also aggro to resting. And HP and MP did not have passive regen naturally, so a careless player could quickly find themselves swarmed by bats and undead if they try resting in the wrong spot.

Edit: beaten to it, with probably more precise details.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I remember once seeing a physical clock that was made to go with FFXI and display server time and what day of the week and all of that nonsense. It was amazing.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Or just rent a chocobo from Sandy! I actually got really good at running between Sandy and Bastok solely to earn EXP granting items.

They used to offer you a "free" ride asking you to run the 'bo to a certain destination, with rewards based on how long it took you. At the time I was trying to level NIN for subjob purposes but hated trying to party with it because of how expensive tools could get (and I didn't like tanking on it, this was long before Trusts were a thing), so I ran these delivery routes as often as I could for free EXP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Black Mage, blow stuff up!