Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Fat and Useless posted:

This is Visaria after 30 days with me knowing what I'm doing:

As someone who quit playing FFXI in 2008, :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Fat and Useless posted:

Boy howdy do I! The first couple limit breaks he just asks for some fairly easy to get items.

Papyrus... :ohno:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The hume crystal warrior looked exactly like a cool darkside version of my character right down to the job selection so you better believe this scene got me hooting and hollering as a kid.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I dunno if it's any different now but back when I played there was absolutely no indication that talking to any NPC would start a quest until you did and their quest was in your log. Some quests were very conditional too, and you better believe some random-rear end NPC might have a very important quest for you, but only after you've dumped a few hundred units of Zinc ore into the repeatable quest on the other side of town.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Boy do I have fond memories of Chains. The boss fights were hard as hell. F&U is 100% not kidding about the music BTW, CoP's OST is aces.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

There was that one patch in ToAU where they broke the damage formula for two-handed weapons and you basically always did critical hit damage even with normal attacks. I showed up to a merit party as WAR/SAM with the Great Axe from the first tier of CoP's endgame bosses, and ended up having to go back to town to switch to /NIN because no one could keep threat off the absurd amount of damage I was outputting, it ruled.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

:prishethunk:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I don't think I've ever heard the music in your Parradamo Tor video but it sounds really familiar

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Fat and Useless posted:

1. The non-chocobo mount music
2. Omen
3. Monstrosity
4. Escha

So it's all FFXI music that was added after I stopped playing. I thought it sounded like it haha

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

You don't really notice it 'cause his mane and ears are so big but Fenrir has a teeny tiny head.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

That guy's name is Bonarpant

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I don’t remember how my CoP static handled this fight exactly but I remember jubilant victory and chugging a gently caress of a lot of hi-potions and elixirs because the next expansion was already out by that point and was farting out hundreds of the suckers in its battle content

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Man I haven't thought about Distant Worlds in forever. What a track

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Feeling a deep seated sinking feeling in my gut right now.

Are you doing Dynamis solo? If so, how much of the real estate are you able to clear just with yourself and trusts? I don't remember having too many runs totally miss getting a 100-piece drop, but that was full clearing or nearly-full clearing a zone.

God, three and a half hours a run.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

Actually, for context, are any parts of FFXI instanced or is it all open world stuff where John Fantasy420 can walk in and gently caress around in the middle of your story mission?

I don't think anything is instanced. In the case of boss fights like Promathia or whatever you literally have to sit outside the arena and wait your turn if someone else is doing something in there. At least, this is how it used to work

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Bustle of the Capital plays randomly and unprompted in my head to this day

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Melomane Mallet posted:

11 Blu is best Blu, and it's not even close.

Yep

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I didn't even know to anticipate the PUP post as much as the BLU post. Back in my day :corsair: PUP was a joke. I know it's better now though, and it was always cool as hell even when it sucked.

And yeah, given the way the devs try to balance FF14, there is absolutely no loving shot of implementing Blue Mage in a satisfying way in that game compared to how FF11 works. I feel like having it be a limited job and siloed off from current content, but full of the goofy poo poo people expect from BLU, was the far better option.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I mean you won't actually be able to create a fun bossfight in XIV if players can just blow it up with Level 5 Death or chain Freeze/Petrify it. You still have fun stuff like Diamondback and White Wind to use, as well as phenomenally powerful nukes like Nightbloom and Final Sting. You can still use the "instantly delete/negate enemy" type spells on dungeon trash. Personally I have a lot of fun soloing dungeons to learn new spells and blowing up all the trash waves between bosses with Ultravibes or Missile.

XI BLU can exist in XI because there's no automated party finder, the combat system is extremely archaic and limited, and players have accepted that there's always going to be a certain degree of class imbalance. If you wanted XI BLU to exist in XIV, you would basically need to create an entirely new queuing system specifically for Blue Mage that would require you to socket spells based on what role you were queuing as. That would mean if a new player picked up the game and decided they wanted to play Blue Mage instead of Warrior or Summoner or whatever, you would be asking them to continuously take breaks from MSQ in order to go track down a spell for them to learn. Furthermore, those skills would necessarily be in direct competition with those of the traditional jobs, so they couldn't really do anything too wild. Whereas, in XI, if you invite a Blue Mage to the party and they don't have a spell they need for the content they're about to take part in, you'd just kick them, and maybe they'd be upset but no one would disagree with you for doing it.

If your argument is that the strength is in the customization, I'd argue that customization in MMOs has basically always been an illusion - there's always an optimal build. The XIV devs have just made the decision to force everyone to play the optimal build. That's why Blue Mage can't exist as a regular job; It's always been about doing goofy poo poo like blowing yourself up or hitting everyone whose level is a multiple of 3 with reality-bending magic.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 18, 2024

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Oh for sure, I definitely see the weakness in the XIV design philosophy. It has a ton of strengths too, but I can totally understand how those strengths might not compensate for the weaknesses for some players.

Fat and Useless posted:

Pup is one of(this is the Pup main talking: the best tank in any case that allows it) the strongest tanks as long as you don't have to deal with threat wipes or status effects that stop the Puppet. Multiple Pups are extremely strong and can do disgusting things.

That's really funny to me. I actually have no idea what the tank situation is like in endgame XI content now, back when I played it was basically just Ninja, Paladin which was strictly worse if you didn't have Aegis and strictly superior if you did, and then gimmicky poo poo like Red Mage and outright bad options like Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Otto the ottomaton :3: