Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

therattle posted:

I’d go further: Test cricket is the greatest sport there is.

This OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Test cricket is quite good, shame it's been dying and on its last legs since the 1920s.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Oh lol I was thinking of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuLzYJhYfto

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Sachin is Pakistani

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
steve smith might be good at t20

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Centusin posted:

steve smith might be good at t20

Immediately gets out to a knee high full toss.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Airstream Driver posted:

Immediately gets out to a knee high full toss.

and reviewed it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The Saffer T20 may not be the best cricket ever but, if nothing else, it's sure to be doing wonders for the local burger joints, if some of the waistlines on show are anything to go by.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

kingturnip posted:

The Saffer T20 may not be the best cricket ever but, if nothing else, it's sure to be doing wonders for the local burger joints, if some of the waistlines on show are anything to go by.

Beer, brandy and braaivleis.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I wish NZ didn't suck right now, I like cricket.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I forgot to study for the test cricket :(

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

India doing pretty well after 18 in this T20.

Oh gently caress its an ODI.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Yeah looking like some records could tumble.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mister Chief posted:

Bloody hell. They are rocketing along.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

SKY needs to stick to t20s

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

notaspy posted:

SKY needs to stick to t20s

He's in the squad for the Australia tests

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

tanglewood1420 posted:

He's in the squad for the Australia tests

loving lol

His first class record is solid and if he is allowed to play the Pant role he could do well.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

English openers are doing well in the SA20 and the IPT20. Apart from Roy who should probably think about hanging up his helmet. You've done it all mate, no shame in it. Buttler is also "struggling" with a 130 strike rate but at least he is scoring loads of runs.

I am finding it very interesting that all the English batters are opening (this is where you put your best batters) but it does worry me that none are playing in the middle overs.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Andrew Symonds still hosts 2 BBL segments lol

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Somehow, the Heat keep surprising and disappointing me

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

Beer, brandy and braaivleis.

If only every day was a Sunday.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
finally read Hitting Against The Spin off the recommendation in the OP, holy poo poo that is an incredible book. my cricket bookshelf is a bit bare, apart from the ones listed are there any that people recommend?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Mister Chief posted:

Andrew Symonds still hosts 2 BBL segments lol

The set must smell pretty bad

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweetroy posted:

finally read Hitting Against The Spin off the recommendation in the OP, holy poo poo that is an incredible book. my cricket bookshelf is a bit bare, apart from the ones listed are there any that people recommend?

Never heard of it but looks fascinating.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I was gunna make a joke about the segments being DOA like the rest of the competition, but man Symonds still makes me sad :(

Obviously he and Warne both had their issues, but whereas Warne came off like an obnoxious prick, Symmo just seemed like a good lad who wanted to go fishing and sink tins with his mates. Plus of course the whole “getting sold out by Cricket Australia to appease the BCCI” on multiple occasions

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Only use Megan Schutt for 1 over and restrict Pakistan to 96. Use 9 bowlers. Australia is too good.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I don't like cricket

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I love it!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I started putting on the IPL as background noise for work and I like it. I don’t have a national team so I will hop on the NZ bandwagon because I like Gideon the Ninth.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I miss the hairy javelin.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Same, op

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

I started putting on the IPL as background noise for work and I like it. I don’t have a national team so I will hop on the NZ bandwagon because I like Gideon the Ninth.

Welcome to the greatest game invented

Please ask lots of questions and develop some strong opinions that you will defend to the death

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

sweetroy posted:

I have read 3 cricket books which are the 3 listed.

I would like to read Steve Smith's Men (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Smiths-Men-Australian-Crickets/dp/1743795092).

I don't have any other recommendations as all the other books I see are flowery bollocks.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Rain player of the match. Heat live on.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

England are playing South Africa today, then?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Dead Goon posted:

England are playing South Africa today, then?

Yes. Looks to be an extremely boring pitch

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Archer looking 80% fit

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

sweetroy posted:

This is the best cricket book ever published, bar none:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6053357-the-warwick-todd-diaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I have a big collection of 200 years of cricket reporting in the Times. Probably published in the 90s. It's a somewhat interesting way to journey through the evolution of the sport and the major stories.