Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Jarrod Kimber is one to check out - he has podcasts and a YouTube channel. He often has more of a narrative focus rather than pure theory but he will give you a good ideas about what players coaches and spectators are thinking about when they are thinking about cricket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Nybble posted:

Recommendations on podcasts, especially tactics focused? Would love to understand how teams are shifting their fielding coverage, or how pairs of batsmen communicate on when to run? Saw a few hiccups on the latter - seemed to be some implication from the commentators that Kohli was shouting at Green in Hindi which lead to some confusion.

Re: language confusion.

There was an incident a few years back when recently retired lovely human being Davey Warner was yelling at a pair of Indian batsmen to "Speak English!"

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

yet another first innings score of basically 200. Even that bum KL Rahul has realized that it's better to get out in <10 balls than putter around.
Seems like the data boys have finally won. Reminds me of the NBA after everyone realized 3>2.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
as a self professed data boy (again, see my first post) - what is this about? better for some players to just swing for the boundary and get a couple of big scores vs maybe getting a few singles and dots before the wicket?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cricket has historically been a game of slow building and grinding down the opposition. Even in the short form games there has often been a focus on building a "platform", spending a decent portion of the time providing a relatively slowly built score with few lost wickets that later players could then thrash about to turn into a winning one.

That is increasingly being abandoned in T20. The benefits of building a platform vs going balls out basically from the off are not showing themselves, especially on franchise T20 wickets that are frequently not helpful for the bowlers. You might get all out sometimes, but you could lose anyway if you misread the situation and score too slowly for too long.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
just came across this and it is an absolute thing of beauty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI8RxWoE5G0

Joe Root takes 5/8 (!!!) to help England bowl out India for 145 and leave England facing a first innings deficit of 33. England would lose the test by 10 wickets

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

just came across this and it is an absolute thing of beauty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI8RxWoE5G0

Joe Root takes 5/8 (!!!) to help England bowl out India for 145 and leave England facing a first innings deficit of 33. England would lose the test by 10 wickets

that was such a fun and strange series. Was impossible to look away because every session felt like a collapse was imminent. Axar Patel turning Barristow inside out over and over was the best part.

Pant is back playing IPL and does not look too good. He wasn't exactly the best T20 player before his injury though. Hoping he can start playing tests again.
e: he ended up making 50 at a respectable strike rate but until that last over it was choppy

BWV fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 31, 2024

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

exmachina posted:

Jarrod Kimber is one to check out - he has podcasts and a YouTube channel. He often has more of a narrative focus rather than pure theory but he will give you a good ideas about what players coaches and spectators are thinking about when they are thinking about cricket.

This was an awesome rec. Thank you.

Nybble posted:

as a self professed data boy (again, see my first post) - what is this about? better for some players to just swing for the boundary and get a couple of big scores vs maybe getting a few singles and dots before the wicket?

If you haven't read it already, you would probably like Hitting Against the Spin.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Subscribed to the podcast and bought the book, thanks for the recs!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Nybble posted:

I think the idea is basically that run rates are so high these days, spending 5-6 balls to get your eye in, settle the nerves, and see how the wicket’s playing could cost your team 10-15 runs, which you’re unlikely to get back over the innings - especially if several batters do this, it really adds up.

Plus that lower-scoring period puts on extra mental pressure, as you’re aware that you could’ve been 10-15 runs better off.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

There was also an idea that if you lost 3-4 wickets in the powerplay you would lose, which is still true but not to the point where just consolidating wickets is a good play.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I was flicking through the TV and noticed some test cricket was on, and couldn't immediately think of which series.
Well, Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka normally escapes my attention and the Bangers appear to have forgotten to turn up, too. They're getting pasted.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

kingturnip posted:

I was flicking through the TV and noticed some test cricket was on, and couldn't immediately think of which series.
Well, Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka normally escapes my attention and the Bangers appear to have forgotten to turn up, too. They're getting pasted.

And by SL, no less. That SL score must be among the highest with no centuries.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It's the highest. Also

https://twitter.com/nibraz88cricket/status/1774762498828411207

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

That’s hilarious. What was the guy at the back thinking? That he’s running in solidarity? Making up for a bad batting performance?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Haha nah I think they were just taking the piss.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Warner with a drop catch

And immediately saved on the next ball by teammates catch

edit: KKR putting up some runs!

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 3, 2024

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Well that was exciting, almost got the record there if not for a few late wickets!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

KKR has been a great watch this year. Narine and Russell look very fresh. Makes me wonder how many of these year round franchise guys use steroids or other creative pharma.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lol does Narine still "bowl"

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Lol does Narine still "bowl"

over the past few years he's been one of the better bowlers. Maybe the most consistent spinner outside of Rashid Khan. Someone accused him again of chucking a week ago but no one really followed up.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

He's definitely chucking it when he wants to. Trouble is what can you do? He gets called for it and then gets tested but 'remodels' his action and gets cleared to play again.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Brooke Halliday getting out against England in the ODI today is one of the most village things I've seen in international cricket

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
So if I were to want to vaguely follow County Cricket is there anything super important to know? Are there any big reasons to support one side over another considering I don't live in the UK? Any side to absolutely not support for.one reason or another?

Just thought it could be a bit of fun until more test series start up.

siriuslysomething fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 5, 2024

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Don't support Yorkshire.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If you dislike the ECB then support Durham

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You should consider supporting Somerset or Lancashire for the laughs, to see what happens when two promising young spinners (Tom Hartley and Shoaib Bashir) are stuck behind much more experienced spinners (Nathan Lyon and Jack Leach) and end up rotting in the 2nd XI.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you dislike the ECB then support Durham

If you like the ECB then mods?????

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

you can tell it's the start of the county championship because only two games have started due to the weather

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Lyon is only playing 7 county games now because cricket Australia have decided to gently caress him over and manage his workload despite him flying his family over for the English summer. They've also put Xavier Bartlett on a contract and revoked his approval to play county which is bullshit too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re: language confusion.

There was an incident a few years back when recently retired lovely human being Davey Warner was yelling at a pair of Indian batsmen to "Speak English!"

Warner walked up to Sharma after he took a single on a deflected throw which is just spirit of cricket nonsense, and Sharma said something to him in hindi and he said "speak english if you're going to say something I don't speak hindi" and then Sharma abused him in english lol. It was a nothing beat up.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Even Warner shouldn’t have needed ‘madershod’ translated

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
From my memory of that incident, Warner 100% knew what they said, his "say it in English" was trying to get them to repeat it where the stump mics would catch it.

It was the summer after Clarke's "broken fuckin' arm" aired and I think Warner was trying to get the Indians in similar trouble.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

Don't support Yorkshire.

I have to care about Yorkshire or my grandads ghost will come and rattle my pots and pans

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Sam Northeast scored 335 for Glamorgan against Middlesex to record the highest score at Lords

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Gonna chuckle if RCB blow this and it's looking like they will

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I chuckled

And Butler wins it with a 6 to also hit a 100

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Sam Northeast scored 335 for Glamorgan against Middlesex to record the highest score at Lords

Why was he never selected for England?

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

therattle posted:

Why was he never selected for England?

plays for an uncool county

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

Gonna chuckle if RCB blow this and it's looking like they will

If the IPL wasn't just a sideshow Faf would get roasted for his innings. On these tracks it just doesn't make sense not to use at least 6 wickets. Every team has 8 legit batters so finishing sub 200 for 3 is destined for failure. Rajasthan made it look closer than it was, as they got the required rate around 6 by the 14th over.

I don't get it. Every year I read more about how analytics and spreadsheet jockeys are becoming more important and yet the same teams consistently gently caress it up.