Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

therattle posted:

Why was he never selected for England?

The ECB read his surname and had an instant allergic reaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

BWV posted:

I don't get it. Every year I read more about how analytics and spreadsheet jockeys are becoming more important and yet the same teams consistently gently caress it up.

This happens a lot in North American leagues. You’ve got a lot of clubs who are fully on board and hiring smart folks early. Usually teams that haven’t had a lot of success but youngish owners who are ready to make their mark. Then you have another set of owners who want to look smart by following the trends, but only hire 3 people and give them next to no power or resources. And then there’s the (usually) old families that do not actually care to improve the team at any cost, even when the evidence is staring them in the face. The last group will go to their grave before admitting their ideas of running a team are wrong.

I’m curious; Which teams fit in which bucket?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

therattle posted:

He was highly rated when he was young, he was England U-19s captain I think? Then his early twenties in county cricket were underwhelming and he slipped out of the picture. He started scoring runs for Kent only once they were relegated and it's very hard to get picked for the test team while playing in the second division.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tanglewood1420 posted:

He was highly rated when he was young, he was England U-19s captain I think? Then his early twenties in county cricket were underwhelming and he slipped out of the picture. He started scoring runs for Kent only once they were relegated and it's very hard to get picked for the test team while playing in the second division.

Got it. Thanks.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Nybble posted:

This happens a lot in North American leagues. You’ve got a lot of clubs who are fully on board and hiring smart folks early. Usually teams that haven’t had a lot of success but youngish owners who are ready to make their mark. Then you have another set of owners who want to look smart by following the trends, but only hire 3 people and give them next to no power or resources. And then there’s the (usually) old families that do not actually care to improve the team at any cost, even when the evidence is staring them in the face. The last group will go to their grave before admitting their ideas of running a team are wrong.

I’m curious; Which teams fit in which bucket?

Almost all the IPL teams are owned by giant Indian corporations (think US equivalent of Johnson and Johnson, Walmart, Dow Chemical, etc.) or sport focused private equity groups so my sense is that it is less about ownership and more about roster construction and the limited effect coaches/teams have on getting star players to change their game.

A team like RCB (Bangalore) always invests a ton of their money in opening compilers/anchors like Faf and Kohli and as a result feel obliged to let them see more balls than they should, especially when they have guys batting at 5-8 who can all smash boundaries but don't get much time. Punjab and Lucknow also rely too heavily on this strategy, almost entirely because they've invested big bucks in slow rollers (but hugely popular players) like Dharwan and KL Rahul.

Compare that to KKR (Calcutta) who moved Narine, a player who's batted 6/7 over the past few years, up to open or Rajasthan, who ditched all their anchors and sometimes let Ashwin bat in the powerplay just to get a few boundaries.

Then you have teams like Gujarat, Mumbai and Chennai who have all won titles scoring around 170 and having great bowling. This might still be possible, especially for teams like Gujarat that play on larger grounds, but I think once teams realize how big of an advantage the impact player is they'll come around and start going harder, especially in the powerplay.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

quote:

For those of you who like to know the ins and outs of cricket quirks, we just spoke to match referee Mike Smith. He who confirmed that it was the wind that initially stopped play at Old Trafford. The umpires had suggested that it would be sensible to put the covers on the square as a precaution at lunch because rain was forecast. But by the time play was due to start the headgroundsmanager said it was too windy to pull the flat sheets off as it was putting his staff at risk - if they were to be lifted into the air or hit in the face. This was confirmed by the Lancashire safety officer. The covers were to be taken off when the wind dropped – but before that happened, the rain started.

At least Lancashire isn't in Durham, who haven't bothered to play at all yet.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
God drat what a catch by Bishnoi

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Lyon out for a golden duck for Lancashire, so far has bowled two overs for three runs

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Completely unrelatedly, It is former England opener/keeper Alec Stewart's birthday today.

Also unrelatedly: I have met his brother-in-law. Fellow England Batsman Mark Butcher. From ages ago when he played at South Melbourne, and my dad was the team manager. (His sister has huge tits by the way.)

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Completely unrelatedly, It is former England opener/keeper Alec Stewart's birthday today.

Also unrelatedly: I have met his brother-in-law. Fellow England Batsman Mark Butcher. From ages ago when he played at South Melbourne, and my dad was the team manager. (His sister has huge tits by the way.)

Bit weird to be talking about your aunt's huge tits.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Thank you for this pertinent information

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

webmeister posted:

Thank you for this pertinent information

It’s the quality content that keeps me coming back.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
It's better than IPL updates at any rate

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

That's one of his best posts in ages.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

How big are we talking

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Bairstow out for 0-3

Ever since the Ashes he is one of players that I just enjoy seeing failing

edit: What a close match. Final over was nailbiting

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 9, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

holy poo poo that punjab vs sunrisers game was intense. Pat Cummins is a brilliant captain.

Last over was match fixing levels of bowling by Undakat, Pat's composure saved them there.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 9, 2024

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Harry Brook got a ton for Yorkshire yesterday, so hopefully that should be the end of Bairstow as a test player unless something catastrophic happens to Foakes before the first test of the summer

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Harry Brook got a ton for Yorkshire yesterday, so hopefully that should be the end of Bairstow as a test player unless something catastrophic happens to Foakes before the first test of the summer

Bairstow isn't going anywhere until he retires

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bairstow will celebrate his 200th test with a quickfire 20 & 7.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow, Royals win it on the last ball.

Titans getting the first slow over rate penalization of the season.

What's the actual rule and calculation for this in IPL?
Wiki doesn't list T20 but T20Is

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Rajasthan in shambles, couldn't defend 14 off 6 and 34 off 12.

Maybe they should have given Lovely Trenty two more overs at the death (you know, his specialty) after he only gave up 8 off his first two overs in the power play.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

Bairstow will celebrate his 200th test with a quickfire 20 & 7.

so his form will have picked up by then?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://twitter.com/TheBarmyArmy/status/1778308471235985773

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lmao

https://x.com/StuartBroad8/status/1778332983134412876

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Some pain for the bowlers in the County Championship today.
Pour one out, if you can be bothered, for England international Brydon Carse who served up 13 overs for 95 runs against Warwickshire. Matthew Potts and Scott Boland were better, but both still went at over 4.
Oof.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lmao that is hilarious and looks like it fkn hurt

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Durham's shoeing continues.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Durham's shoeing continues.

This prompted me to look at the score. That Warks scorecard is quite something.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some of the scorecards remain painful for bowlers. Sussex are having a go at beating the 698 Warks declared on, Middlesex are 362/2, Yorkshire are 365/4 after only 74 overs, there's a bunch of other scores over 400.

Not what I'd expect for mid April games.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

County bowlers practising with a Kookaburra ball, just in case they never have to play for England in Australia (or wherever else they use that ball).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Some of the scorecards remain painful for bowlers. Sussex are having a go at beating the 698 Warks declared on, Middlesex are 362/2, Yorkshire are 365/4 after only 74 overs, there's a bunch of other scores over 400.

Not what I'd expect for mid April games.

Jeez, Durham made 517 and are now following on. That must be among the higher follow on scores.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The ECB really does have to start giving out penalty point deductions more often, because this round of games is just stupid

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

RIP 'Deadly' Derek Underwood. I'm old enough to have seen him play at the end of his career. loving amazing bowler

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

kingturnip posted:

The ECB really does have to start giving out penalty point deductions more often, because this round of games is just stupid

Next week it's back to the Dukes balls and you'll see the familiar 170 plays 190 of April cricket return.

biglads posted:

RIP 'Deadly' Derek Underwood. I'm old enough to have seen him play at the end of his career. loving amazing bowler

Before my time, but a legend of the game no doubt.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
rip to a great one

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

therattle posted:

Long story short, wrong place at the wrong time. Decided to leave Kent for Hampshire to improve his selection chances just before Kent old boys Ed Smith then our lord and master Bobsy Keysy atarted running the England show.

Got injured for a while at Hampshire and lost in the shuffle there, now being a 21st Century Matthew Maynard in Wales.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I love that IPL siren.

SRH putting up a real good total

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Headd and Klassen ripping Kohlis team