Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
At this point, I think Sarah's putting her hand over her mouth was "her character is horrified by the antics of the stripper's pregnant wife" and more "trying to hide her breaking character and laughter."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Not a bad epsiode, but I think I noticed at least 6 product placement skits.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
You're not counting the Southwest one as a product placement skit, right? Cuz I'm pretty sure Southwest didn't request that one. :v:

Pretty solid episode overall; the car dealership commercial sketch in particular had this weird energy I really liked. Surprisingly, I felt like the Sarah Sherman sketch at the beginning was a bit of a letdown; beyond the weird prosthetics, there just didn't seem to be all that much there.

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 29, 2023

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

With the cast culling, I feel like the newbies get more time, and by that I mean I've seen them.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Episode seems pretty rough. Most of the skits ground to a screeching halt when Jordan came on.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

carticket posted:

With the cast culling, I feel like the newbies get more time, and by that I mean I've seen them.

keep the cuts coming, i think the proper amount of cast numbers should be between 12 and 15

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I really liked the morning show skit with Sarah, that would've been an S-tier skit if it wasn't for the awkward inclusion of Andrew Dismukes.

And the State Farm horror movie was great but dragged a little too long.

But nothing else stood out or felt memorable to me, just felt like a ton of product placement skits.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I don't know which I find weirder.

That Capcom commissioned an SNL sketch to promote Street Fighter 6, or that Capcom must have had to approve the final script and were fine with it being pretty much a gay joke.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
E! Is replaying best of SNL clip shows, and my TiVo is showing me that Alec Baldwin is due up tonight.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
There is a tl;dr at the end, but I'm showing my work too.

April 25 2016, GreenNight breaks the news in the SNL thread about original sponsored content.

From that AV Club report—

quote:

Saturday Night Live to have fewer ads, more sponsored sketches

...Along with the smaller amount of commercial breaks, though, this arrangement will also bring more “original branded content” to Saturday Night Live, which is advertiser-lingo for sponsored sketches or other advertiser tie-ins. It’s unclear what shape these will take, but Variety notes that SNL aired three Pepsi-branded “MacGruber” sketches in 2009 that will probably be the model for this kind of thing. So when the Californians interrupt their hilarious gags about the Pacific Coast Highway to talk about the benefits of probiotic yogurt, you can thank those two fewer commercial breaks.

In October 2016 the new format for the show was unveiled, and I wrote about it in that season's OP, which was that 4.5 minutes of commercial time was being eliminated and returned to the show.

pwn posted:

First, last April, it was announced that, starting this season, there would be a 30% reduction in commercials on SNL. Having checked the timings for tonight's show, that initial estimate was somewhat off.

The show's TRT is 1:32:30. The previous format had 28 minutes of that as commercials (17:15 NBC ads and promos, 10:45 local time.) The new format has just 23:30 minutes of commercials, with 4:30 fewer NBC ads (12:45.) Local time remains unchanged. The show's old runtime without ads was 1:04:30; the new runtime is 1:09:00. 4 and half more minutes of SNL!

Here's a couple graphics to illustrate the matter. The segments aren't to scale, quoth Doc Brown, they're designed for illustrative and legibility purposes.

The first half (pre-WU) has remained largely unchanged, save for the break between the first musical guest number and WU being shortened significantly. The second half is where it's been altered most. There are still the same amount of ad breaks as before, but there is one less slot for local stations. Break 6 is NBC ads only, which makes it the first time an SNL ad break doesn't have any local time. Segment 7 is listed as "Possible show segment," and that's all I know. It may just be Kenan popping up to say "Hey guys! SNL will be back in just 75 seconds!" But who knows.

There's also supposed to be sponsored sketches this year. Supposedly just 6 episodes this season. We'll see.

FYI my "legible" chart is much less so against a dark bg, like that in the Awful App in night mode.

Later that season, in February 2017, AdWeek published this report. I have reproduced it in its entirety, thanks to Google's cache, as it is paywalled.

quote:

After SNL’s Highest Ratings in 6 Years, NBC Prepares the Show's First Branded Content Spots
First 2 are set for upcoming episodes

Saturday Night Live’s Trump bump just keeps getting bigger. The show has been gaining buzz and viewers as it becomes an increasingly larger thorn in the side of President Trump and his administration, with Saturday’s episode—featuring Alec Baldwin and the return of Melissa McCarthy as White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer—drawing the show’s highest ratings in six years.

But the audiences flocking to the show still have yet to see the branded content pods that NBCU said would begin airing this season, as part of its efforts to reduce the show’s ad load by around 30 percent. While NBC did indeed scale back SNL’s ad load—removing two commercial breaks per episode—it has yet to air of those any branded content spots during the show.

However, that is about to change. The network said the first two branded content pods are set to air sometime in the next few episodes. SNL returns with new shows on March 7.

This season’s ad load reduction “has been an unbelievable success. It’s the least-commercialized program in all of ad-supported TV right now,” said Mark Marshall, evp of entertainment group advertising sales for NBCUniversal.

Last April, NBC said it would reduce SNL’s ad load this season, while Linda Yaccarino, NBCU’s chairman of advertising sales and client partnerships, said the show would air six branded content pods per year.

Yet with 14 episodes of Season 42 already aired, and just seven more to go this season, Saturday Night Live hasn’t yet aired any branded content spots. Many of this season’s sketches, however, seemed as if they could potentially fall under that category, including Fisher-Price’s toys for sensitive boys, a Dunkin’ Donuts spoof starring Casey Affleck, a send-up of Apple’s “1984” ad that poked fun at Kohler’s futuristic toilets, a fake Super Bowl ad for Totino’s and the sketches in last week’s episode that centered around Russell Stover and Cheetos.

NBCU said its ad sales team hadn’t talked with SNL writers about incorporating more brand-themed sketches—which have always been an SNL staple— into the mix as a way to make the upcoming branded content spots feel more organic.

The network is still keeping details on the SNL branded content spots under wraps, including which brands will be involved and where in the show they might air.

When those spots do air, they’ll reach an audience that has grown even bigger since election season. Saturday’s episode, hosted by Baldwin and featuring a second surprise appearance by McCarthy, was the show’s most-watched telecast in six years, with 10.8 million total viewers. It was also last week’s No. 2 broadcast show in the 18-49 demo (3.1), out-rated only by the Grammys (7.8). This season, the show’s demo ratings are up 19 percent (3.5 vs 2.9 last year), while it’s jumped 21 percent in total viewers (10.6 million vs 8.8 million in 2015-16).

And advertiser demand has paralleled the audience interest in the show. “Historically, we’ve always gotten a bump in an election year,” said Marshall. This year, however, “the bump has gone well beyond the halo of the election.”

As a result, the show’s ad revenue is higher than ever, even with the reduced ad load. “The demand for the show has been through the roof and it’s sold out every week,” said Marshall. “It’s a pretty phenomenal asset that we are unbelievably lucky to have.”

Ever since S42 began, I and the larger SNL community, including this thread, has made something of a game of guessing which bits are sponsored. Over in the That Week in SNL Discord forum/chat thing (wtf is a "server"? I'm not calling a forum a server), this subject came to a boil Monday, with posters like myself wondering why there hasn't been transparency (i.e. "promotional consideration by..." credits at the end of the show) about the supposed "original sponsored content", and eventually Jon Schneider, founder of the SNL Network, chimed in. I am reproducing a limited number of his posts and some replies for context.

As he reported this news (and hopefully he does so in a more widespread way, either on Twitter or in an upcoming podcast), I'm using Jon Schneider's name in these. The other replies I'm not using names, despite the forum being open to join (I think you need an invite? Not sure) and the quoted people either being hosts of, or guests on podcasts (and using their names on the Discord forum), I felt it best to not name them.

Jon Schneider posted:

Hey friends, not to stir up the convo from yesterday but just so you know the whole SNL sponsored sketch thing never materialized. They have not done one sponsored sketch ever

So whenever a sketch is brand-related they are in no way getting paid from the company itself

quote:

But seriously, I thought they did do at least that one sketch that was sponsored by Apple

Jon Schneider posted:

Lol I did ask and was told flat out no its never happened

quote:

That's interesting. So they said they were going to do that and never did - so why is the runtime of the show a couple minutes longer now (which was supposed to be the tradeoff for the addition of branded content)?

Jon Schneider posted:

My assumption is one of the producers (like Ken Aymong) who usually dealt with NBC simply asked for longer runtime from the network and financially it made sense

But it was not an exchange as was originally reported

quote:

Huh. Bit weird, innit? I mean, now the show's going to be accused of brand-pandering forevermore due to this initiative they announced/promoted but never followed through on. Krazy.

Jon Schneider posted:

Ya truth is they've had plenty of ideas of the years they haven't followed through on, this just happens to be one that gets brought up every now and then

But the idea that the Statefarm pretape came from anywhere besides Mikey, Streeter, and maybe MBJ's heads is wrong

quote:

Righto. Personally speaking, the whole cast can be covered in corporate logos like NASCAR drivers for all I care; all that matters is that the material is, y'know, *funny*. All other concerns are secondary at best.

So there you go. SNL does not, nor has it over the past 7 seasons, air sponsored original content. It was just another SNL idea that never came to fruition, like every Vintage being an Emmy-submitted ep (which rather quickly gave way to using whatever episode they wanted). I felt it important to report this here, to help correct the record going forward.

TL;DR: There are no sponsored sketches, nor have there been.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Also while digging in the April 2016 thread I found this from when the Prince tribute ep aired

pwn posted:

They put phone camera footage on national television for six minutes.

Such is the power of Prince.

And I remark on how much we got cell phone content on national television for most of 2020-2021.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVXN85TJabg

Remarkable. This was one I was sure was sponsored, it's fully family-friendly and drat-near comes off with that schmaltz of those "Happy Mother's Day/Merry Christmas from SNL" pretapes from the past few years. I actually feel angry that it wasn't an ad.

Well, basically family-friendly: i had no problem seeing Macy's PR being hip with a bit of edge.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Christ that was a long time ago.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

pwn posted:

:words:
So there you go. SNL does not, nor has it over the past 7 seasons, air sponsored original content. It was just another SNL idea that never came to fruition, like every Vintage being an Emmy-submitted ep (which rather quickly gave way to using whatever episode they wanted). I felt it important to report this here, to help correct the record going forward.

TL;DR: There are no sponsored sketches, nor have there been.

There is just no way that this is true: you don't get to use the logos and uniforms of the largest corporate restaurant chain without consultation or approval and they have done multiple Olive Garden and Longhorn branded skits...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SmUVySf85s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8DF8OKFaJM

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

pwn posted:

There are no sponsored sketches, nor have there been.
it defies belief to me that something like the Street Fighter sketch didn't involve money changing hands

but strange things happen on the earth all the time, I guess.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I remember there was a thing a few years back where SNL took down one of their brand parody sketches because the brand (Safelite?) was unhappy with how they were portrayed. I assumed at the time it was because there was some kind of product placement agreement, but I guess SNL did it just to be nice? :shrug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sivart13 posted:

it defies belief to me that something like the Street Fighter sketch didn't involve money changing hands

but strange things happen on the earth all the time, I guess.

Same night that WWE did a huge Street Fighter promo at Royal Rumble. Don’t see how this would’ve come up organically in the writers room tbh.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Street Fighter was definitely paid for, but I loved it so whatever. Meeow.

State Farm would be weird as a paid sketch because they showed a bunch of other competitors.

Southwest doesn't seem like it's remotely good branding.

And is the the Toyota one paid by the restaurant then? Since it keeps on going about how good it is.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Thundercracker posted:

Southwest doesn't seem like it's remotely good branding.

No, but a friend of mine is a Flight Attendant for Southwest, and she says it's all they've been talking about since Saturday night. So at least the Flight Attendants think it's hilarious. I imagine management does not.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The idea that those TikTok sketches they've done that barely even have jokes were done as legitimate sketches is just depressing.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
What's the plan if the pre-tape people strike? I'm having visions of 90 minutes of weekend update, three musical numbers, or even Andy Kaufman finally coming out of hiding.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
oops all cold open

oops all game shows

pwn
May 27, 2004

It's weird night over at the that week in snl twitch stream. Running some Saturday Live from 80s BBC rn

pwn
May 27, 2004

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

What's the plan if the pre-tape people strike? I'm having visions of 90 minutes of weekend update, three musical numbers, or even Andy Kaufman finally coming out of hiding.

Just rerun stuff. They did that for the show's first 30 years or so

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

They’ll just make some scabs do it and pretend like Pete Davidson did the edit?

pwn
May 27, 2004

1. Standby cards will be distributed at 7 tonight, not midnight, due to extreme temps

2. SNL crew close to the post production editors are currently leafletting on the editors' behalf to everyone queued for standby tickets at this moment

quote:

‘SNL’ Post-Production Editors to Step Up Pressure on NBC With Leafletting Campaign Amid Tough Contract Talks

Supporters of “Saturday Night Live” post-production editors plan to leaflet outside NBC headquarters at Rockefeller Center today amid what sources described as stalled contract negotiations with the network.

On Jan. 12, the 20-odd “SNL” staff members who assemble the live sketch comedy series’ pre-taped segment approved a strike authorization vote. The editors unionized with the Motion Picture Editors Guild last October.

Sources tell Variety that additional bargaining sessions have taken place but sticking points remain, notably around the issue of health benefits.

During the bargaining session, the source shared a proposal had been made that the post-production crew members continue to receive the same health coverage, but no agreement had yet been made.

To help raise awareness, “Saturday Night Live” crew members close to the post-production editors will be leafletting on Friday night outside of 30 Rock, where the show is taped and where fans line up overnight to get standby tickets.

“This talented editorial crew works at breakneck speed under extraordinarily tight schedules in order to ensure ‘Saturday Night Live’s’ timely satire makes it to the screen each week,” Louis Bertini, MPEG’s Second Vice President, representing its New York membership, said in a statement in October. “We salute them for standing together to have a voice on the job. Behind the scenes and in front of the cameras, a slew of talented artists and craftspeople help to make ‘SNL’ the cultural touchstone that it is, and much of that talent already enjoys the benefit of union contracts. We’re glad that these editorial employees will now be joining ‘SNL’s’ unionized workforce.”

Representatives for NBCU did not respond to a request for comment.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I PMed a mod about getting the thread title updated but sadly it has not come to pass. If someone reading this has those buttons at their avail and deigns to do so, please update it as follow:

quote:

SNL48 #4! Aubrey Plaza/Sam Smith, Michael B. Jordan, Pedro Pascal/Coldplay

And before we get to tonight's show, I managed to locate the cast shots from last week's Wednesday read through that NBC never posted to Twitter.

They're a bit on the lower side of resolution but they are higher res than what we had before. Oh yes and enjoy this brief BtS on Sarah's dental spreader bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8496Q8xVjI

Tonight!

Yes they did it again. Just like last year, they had a block of shows that went from late January into early February, and like last year, the February ep was not announced until late in the run. This poo poo is why I've taken to just giving the season's threads numbers rather than months.

Hype promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIX0q2qANks

Pedro Pascal of course plays the Mandalorian, and he's in the show that every human on Earth won't shut the gently caress up about, The Last of Us, which I finally relented and queued up. It joins Poker Face, 1619, Shrinking, White Lotus, Tulsa King, and 1,032 other shows and movies that I have yet to watch.

Tuesday promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0sbb36ou-E

I gather a Clicker is a mutated person that vexes the last of them

But it has a happy ending

https://youtube.com/shorts/vOgqQGBc6Js

And Coldplay... you know. I spent much of the last two decades sneering at Coldplay, but their appearance on kimmel last week warmed me up to him. Still not a favourite or anything but life's too short to have that much dislike for an earnest and talented performer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ayrkjcWao

As for what they may play tonight, word is the second track is a throwback. As they were never on for A Rush of Blood to the Head, maybe it will be Clocks, or another deeper cut from the first couple albums. Or Yellow for a third time 🙃*

Fuckin Wednesday read through! Now with cast photos!

And of course, Thursday promos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Sqe8Qoplk

But wait! There is a promo that isn't in that reel, that's been airing for the last day. Here it is, along with the air version of the Tuesday promo, which has an alternate take at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2bMTXJpBK0

Tonight's Vintage is the first episode of the century: Jamie Foxx with Blink-182 from January 8 2000. Depending on when you define a century's first and last year. If 2001 is the first year of the 21st century, then the first ep was Charlie Sheen with Nelly Furtado from January 13 2001. Anyway. Jamie Foxx tonight.

And that's it. Wow an actual post, will the thread generate more than one page of chat tonight??

Probably not! Enjoy!

*riff shamelessly stolen from the Discord poster who broke this news

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe we can get all the way to page 4 by next week.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Probably one episode I've actually anticipated in ages.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh man…now I am really excited for the second musical act!!! :neckbeard:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
That is how I remember music in the year 2000.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Tonight's SNL Classic has Blink 182. I just heard them do "All The Small Things," a song my dad band does, and... just wow, you can tell when someone is doing something live. Or, if they're painstakingly lip-syncing to a recording made purposefully to sound live.

The pitchy singing, the little improvisations, the skipping of the first "na na" so you can finish the last syllable of the pre-chorus... it's imperfect, and it's wonderful.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Make fun of me if you want, but Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head, and X&Y were the albums that got me through college and I still think almost every song is an absolute banger so I am pretty hype for this.

Coldplay also puts on amazing live shows, so hopefully they bring that fire to the stage tonight!

:toot:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
"What if we crash?"

"A little guy on a cloud comes with a fishing pole and puts you back on the road."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Make fun of me if you want, but Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head, and X&Y were the albums that got me through college and I still think almost every song is an absolute banger so I am pretty hype for this.

Coldplay also puts on amazing live shows, so hopefully they bring that fire to the stage tonight!

:toot:

I'm not making fun of you. I shan't do that. I'm a musician and a guy who studied music in college so much that he ended up working for an insurance company. I love prog rock and prog metal, and classical music, and a lot of crazy stuff.

But I love pop punk and all that bullshit music that's easy to play. Do you have a I-V-VI-IV song? YES! So I loved hearing Blink 182 tonight. Bring on Coldplay. Hell, I'll also listen to Nickelback. But not this brand new stuff, because I've been St. Angere'd once before.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:lol:

“Carting out here isn’t a game…”

This will be real within the next few years.

tarlibone posted:

I'm not making fun of you. I shan't do that. I'm a musician and a guy who studied music in college so much that he ended up working for an insurance company. I love prog rock and prog metal, and classical music, and a lot of crazy stuff.

But I love pop punk and all that bullshit music that's easy to play. Do you have a I-V-VI-IV song? YES! So I loved hearing Blink 182 tonight. Bring on Coldplay. Hell, I'll also listen to Nickelback. But not this brand new stuff, because I've been St. Angere'd once before.

:glomp:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pedro is so charming

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
What is this voice? :laffo:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

this episode has been great.

edit: also this is a great move on from the Tostino rolls commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Lots of pre-shoots… :thunk: