Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

...When I saw that video I wound up checking the upload date; even after verifying that it wasn't posted on April 1, I still can't bring myself to believe that they're serious.

Why would they fake a new card for Max Muncy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Why would they fake a new card for Max Muncy
...Okay, you're obviously being deliberately obtuse here, so other than this post I'll pretend you didn't say anything.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
2045 MLB Season

After a long and torturous wait, baseball is back!

2044 was a watershed year - our last Gen 1 goons retired, and now after saying goodbye, all that is left is Gen 2.

Going into 2045, 7 goons are on MLB rosters. Maki Itoh and Howard Duck both look poised to make their MLB debuts, but it remains to be seen whether they will make it through Spring Training still on the majors roster.

Of our 35 goons, 7 are in the majors, 2 are in AA, 2 in A+, and the rest in A, R, or waiting to be drafted. I'm a little surprised we've got so many still in A while others are cracking the majors, but if you sort by age, it actually looks pretty natural:

Bit concerned for Malocchio and my creation Karl Marx, as most of their draft class are already in the majors, and even the ones after them. Hopefully they're just late bloomers!

Our real focus to start 2045 will not be the MLB, but most likely, the World Baseball Classic!

2045 World Baseball Classic

The International Baseball Federation selected Antofagasta, Chile as 2045's venue for the WBC. Why Antofagasta? Maybe trying to make the various teams travel as far as possible? Who knows!

Last tournament, Puerto Rico, Colombia, The Netherlands, and Czechia all were demoted by falling to last place in their group. In the 2044 qualifiers, Puerto Rico redeemed itself by returning to the WBC and winning the Latin American qualifiers, while Czechia fell tantalizingly close, losing to Spain in the European qualifier. New Zealand took Colombia's spot in the Asia-Pacific Qualifiers, while Ghana took the least competitive region, Africa and the Middle East, replacing the Dutch.

However, I found a mistake! I had Spain in the qualifiers for Europe despite the fact that they ALREADY qualified for the WBC! As such, since Czechia was the runner up in the qualifiers, I let them retain their position.

Here are the pools for the 2045 WBC. As a reminder, each pool plays a round-robin style tournament amongst its four teams. The top two teams advance to a series of elimination games - the 3rd and 4th place teams do not advance but do qualify for the next tournament in 2049, while the last place teams are demoted, and must earn their way back to the WBC.

As a reminder, since the regions are divided to return one team to the WBC in qualifiers each year, it is possible for regions to lose more than one slot from demotion, and thus only be able to regain one. This happened from '41 to '45, as Africa nabbed a spot from Europe.

Lets see if any goons made the WBC! They do NOT need to be major league ready to make the rosters (as we saw in the qualifiers), so any goon can theoretically get in there:

WBC Goon Invites

Team Cuba:
Armando Perez

Team Italy:
Salvatore Silencio
Malachi Malocchio

Team Japan:

Team USA:

Team Canada:

:eyepop: Look at that! To be clear, this is just the goons who have been invited, NOT the final team rosters for the tournament. But that's a pretty comprehensive list - teams Japan and USA are particularly heavy with goons. They'll have a lot of competition though, so let's see who makes the rosters.

WBC Goon Rosters

Team Cuba:
Armando Perez

Team Italy:
Malachi Malocchio

Team Japan:

Team USA:

Team Canada:

Not bad! We lose a lot of players, especially Japan and the USA, to high level competition, but that's not shocking. I love that Ublala Plung makes the team Canada roster despite the fact that he's existed for approximately 3 months, and hasn't even been drafted. Not sure if that's impressive for him, or a bad sign for Canada.

Let's see how our round robin stage goes, and hope our young goons get to play with the big kids!

Oof, some disappointing demotions here! Teams Cuba, China, Ghana, and Brazil all fall in their divisions, being eliminated and forced to requalify for 2049.

Group B is actually pretty insane - look closely and you'll see that every single team went perfectly 2-2 in the ENTIRE division. I'm not 100% sure what the tiebreaking procedures are, in the real WBC it's:

quote:

Multiteam tiebreaker No. 1: Lowest quotient of runs allowed divided by the number of defensive outs recorded in games between the teams that are tied.

That's... a bit confusing, but I guess the quick and dirty of it is that teams who gave up the most runs got disqualified.

China got obliterated twice, probably running up the worst run differential and getting knocked off. PR by contrast lost their games by only 5 and 3 runs, winning their two games by 10 and 8 runs. A shame but a pretty funny outcome!

How did our goons do?

Oh. That's it!?

Looks like the green status of our goons was a pretty significant factor - only two of them appeared in the entire tournament!

Malachi Malocchio played a solid if unspectacular catcher for the middling Italian team, recording 3 hits and an RBI.

Shinya Arino was our most impressive goon but also saw her team eliminated from playoff contention (but not the WBC!) despite some great performances on his part! Our intrepid, hard working Center Fielder managed 4 runs, an RBI, and 5 hits - all before even recording a single MINOR league at bat! (not sure what he was doing with Mexico City in the latter half of last season).

As far as I can tell, other goon, including all the pitchers, made a single PA or IP across the tournament. That's pretty disappointing!

There are still some goons on Team USA and Team Canada, so we'll just have to see if they get to make an appearance in the elimination rounds:

I hate the way OOTP represents it visually, but these are the single playoff elimination brackets. Why OOTP fucks it up is beyond me, but it should be:

SK vs Czech
Canada vs Venezuela
USA vs. Spain
Israel vs. Puerto Rico

And immediately, teams USA and Canada are eliminated. The WBC is NOT kind to goons. None of our goons even appear.

Spain's defeat of the USA is actually quite shocking - the USA drops 4-2 to the unstoppable Spanish juggernaut. Their secret is a Venezuelan pitcher named "Edgar Fuentes," who plays in the MLB but is listed as a dual Venezuelan/Spanish citizen.

And look at that. Venezuela is next to fall to Spain - it is now the Puerto Ricans, who were nearly eliminated last year, and Spain, coming from nowhere to be a true underdog surprise.

But the upset is avoided, as Puerto Rico keeps the underdog Spanish at bay, winning 6-2. Spain's ace Fuentes is used as a middle reliever and gives up 2 runs, behind their starter, also a dual citizen with the DR and Spain, who surrendered 3 runs.

Congratulations to Puerto Rico as 2045's WBC Champion! A bit of a disappointment goon wise, but come 2049 the goons will all be hitting their stride and many will be in their prime, so I hope for better results!

Ah well, let's get back to the MLB and follow our goons. It's spring training, have our goons maintained their health?

Oh.

Oh no.

gently caress.

Is this a cruel joke?

COMPLETELY out of nowhere, we are hit by truly tragic news. It appears that Gaht made ONE appearance in Spring training against Boston this year.

Finally fresh her last injury, she went into the game surely eager to return to form. Instead, she would give up a hit to score a run, walk a player, strike one out, and then see her career end. She is only 25 years old, and had only pitched 3 years in the majors - though at least she did make it to the majors, and pitch 312.2 innings in the process. At least we understand why team Canada never used her.

It seems her centaur body just could not handle the rigors of baseball. Ironic that it would be her shoulders, probably one of the areas LEAST affected by her centaur status, that would be her undoing. But what's done is done, and Gaht's time in baseball is over, and she will certainly be the first Gen 2 goon to retire, and do so only one season after the last of Gen 1 retired. 3 of our Gen 1 players ALMOST outlasted her, drat.

We must move forward however, and we will eulogize Gaht properly later. Instead, let's focus on the future, and see which of our goons survived the Spring Training slaughter:

Aww, that's fewer than last year! Only Jones, Trunks, and Bastard are on the opening day rosters for their teams. I see a few lurking in AA and AAA, so that will change. It's easy to forget that in the early parts of a players careers, teams can freely promote and demote them, and do so frequently, so it's not something to read too much into.

Case in point - Shinya Arino jumps to the majors from AA within a few weeks of the season starting, and hot off his great play for Samurai Japan, gets off to a fantastic start. He briefly bats above .500 and goes 5 for 5 against the Beisbolcats in what I hope is an auspicious rookie start.

Is it nominative determinism at play here? Burnt Sienna causes a ruckus in the minors, showing off his fiery temper.

Howard Duck earns a minor league players of the month award! I'll show these off for a bit til more of our goons make the majors. And honestly, there's not much else going on for now.

And actually, Howard would go onto win June's award as well! Promote this man! (duck?).

Willie Bloomquist and Kiryu would also go on to win minor league player of the week awards. Call them up!

Come the All-Star break, the volatility of our young goons is obvious, as few of them have made much of an impact this year. As such none will make the All-Star Roster - did we have any 3 or 4 years in with Gen 1? I'd have to check.

2045 All-Star Batting Stats

Shinya Arino eventually fall back to earth from batting over .400, but not THAT far - he's batting a clean .300 at the All-Star break! In fact, he leads the goons in PA's for the season, now a regular fixture in Mexico City. It's somewhat wild that he has all these appearances without a single home run to his name - but hardly shocking, given that he has a 4/8 power rating. Dude's probably more likely to hit an inside the park home run than hit it out of the park.

Still, other than hitting well for average, Arino is suffering in the other aspects of the game. He's not getting on base THAT much more than you'd think given his average, with an average 9ish% BB rate, and a similarly mediocre strikeout average. That SB-CS ratio is also concerning, and his low war suggests he's nothing special in the outfield. We'll see if he can develop beyond his contact hitting to up those on base numbers as he matures.

Future Trunks actually beats Arino in terms of WAR, with some slightly better power numbers and excellent defense at third. He's not starting as much as Arino so that's much more surprising, but he sure is striking out a lot more! He has a 25% strikeout rate, yikes!

Bloomquist also snuck into the league not long before the break, so there's not much to say about his debut until the end of the season, but he's probably liking how his first 10 games went!

2045 All-Star Pitching

With Gaht's career over, and Peppers demoted to the minors for some reason, Clayton Jones is the only regular starter left. He's pretty much stayed the same as last season, being a reliable if unspectacular pitcher with a middling 4.30 ERA. Nothing about his stats really stand out at all to be honest - everything is pretty close to league average! But he's all we have, so go Jones!

Maki Itoh joins Arino as another Team Japan callup who is now making her MLB debut! It's not going so well so far, but with not even a full inning pitched, I'm sure she's not stressing it out.

Before we know it, it's amateur draft time! And look at that, I spot some goons in the top 10! Plung and Shlabotnik are looking to be highly celebrated - will Joe manage to overcome his mediocrity? In addition to those two, Leonard McCoy, Gaius Cobb, and Jay Garrick will make their first go at being drafted. Kamil Stoch and Salvatore Silencio will also return, having finished their edjamacations in Charlotte and Fresno respectively.

2045 Amateur Draft Results

Jay Garrick, CF - 1.1, New Orleans Vamps
Ublala Plung, "3B" - 1.5, Houston Astros
Gaius Cobb, CF - 1.6, Texas Rangers
Joe Shlabotnik, LF - 1.10, Montreal Expos
Kamil Stoch, Sp - 1.32, New York Yankees
Leonard McCoy, SP - 1.43, Detroit Beisbolcats
Salvatore Silencio, CL - 5.19, San Francisco Giants

Our youngest players had a GREAT showing, with Jay Garrick speeding out of NOWHERE to be the first overall pick. He wasn't even on MLB's top ten list! He might just be our first goon Vamp too, and they need the help.

Both Stoch and Silencio saw their stock drop after their initial drafts - with Stoch dropping from 1.8 to 1.32, and Silencio going from 3.18 to 5.19. To be fair, Silencio is a dedicated closer and closers always get drafted later, but that's not a fun drop. We'll see if our guys and gals sign and for how much!

Nacho Chez is unstoppable in A+, playing for Beloit, a city and team I had no idea even existed. He would go on to win a player of the week award, and the July player of the month award as well.

Howard Duck has hit 50 goddamn homeruns in A+, for a 172 OPS+. He doesn't like Nacho Chez and his 32 dingers stealing his thunder. He'd end up as player of the week as well, and August's player of the month.

In uncharacteristic fashion, Shinya Arino makes the news for a temper tantrum after protesting a third strike call.

Ohhh a major league award! Fat Bastard is having a decent start to his MLB career, earning a player of the week award for the NL. I find this strange because he's only started 16 games all season and has 138 PA, but I wonder if this is the point where Montreal starts using him more regularly. As it stands, he's still a bench player up North.

Maybe that's why.

Joining the torn UCL club is Harold O'Stickly, whose glued on shoulders managed to fall off. He'll miss the rest of this season and most of the next as he recovers :(.

2045 Amateur Draft Results - Signings

Jay Garrick, CF - 1.1, New Orleans Vamps - $15,400,000
Ublala Plung, "3B" - 1.5, Houston Astros - $15,400,000
Gaius Cobb, CF - 1.6, Texas Rangers - $15,950,000
Joe Shlabotnik, LF - 1.10, Montreal Expos - $12,390,000
Kamil Stoch, Sp - 1.32, New York Yankees - $8,620,000
Leonard McCoy, SP - 1.43, Detroit Beisbolcats - $8,800,000
Salvatore Silencio, CL - 5.19, San Francisco Giants - $590,000

Lol. The game is sentient.

Everyone is signed! That signing bonus has to hurt a bit for Silencio, who almost certainly would have gotten more as a third round pick. I also love that Gaius probably has the highest signing bonus of any goon - and wouldn't let us forget it.

Our babbies will now scamper off to their respective minor league teams, while we return to the bigs, to who made it to the majors and who might have a shot at Gen 2's first championship.

But Kiryu surprises us first, having silently earned the MVP award for the single A FCL league! He... was good, but not spectacular, and appears to have just barely beaten out the second place winner by a single first place vote. Kinda wonky, but it counts, so go Kiryu!

By the end of 2045, 6 goons will be on major league rosters - 4 hitters, and 2 pitchers. No others players made brief appearances or anything complicated, so this should make judging their playoff chances easy.

Playoff Ring Opportunities:
LAA - Clayton Jones
WAS - Maki Itoh

Just two. Quite the contrast too - the Angels and Nationals are first place teams, while most of the other goons are on terrible or at best middling teams. Whatever the case, our two pitching goons will have a shot at a ring - and represent the American and National leagues respectively.

Neither appear in the first round, as their teams are division winners.

Not much to report on for Jones, whose team is summarily beaten by Texas 3 games to 1. He only pitches .2 innings anyway, but I guess they were clean ones, so yay!

Itoh doesn't even pitch in this series! Yawn. Maybe next series.

Oh hey, Itoh made an appearance!

Oof. That's... not great! She not only gives up 2 runs while only recording one out, she gets saddled with the loss in the process in game 1 of the series. Do note that this was in the 14th inning, so maybe she just wanted to go home.

Shrug it off Itoh. It's ring contention time.

Or not!

Itoh did make a clean appearance this time, lowering her ERA to 27. Texas dominated the Nationals so there's not much to lay blame at Itoh for this - she gets to say she pitched in the goddamn World Series, which is quite an accomplishment. And perfectly, too, striking out her only opponent.

With that another season is done, as our babbies continue their slow, inexorable rise. Will anyone win any last minute awards, minor or major?

Howard and Jean-Guy both snag awards for their minor leagues, which is impressive! Get them (back) up in the majors!

I'm a little surprised that no goons beyond the original Spring Training six made their debuts this season (seven, counting the now donezo Gaht). Maybe there will be a sudden burst in a season or two.

No awards for our goons either. Sad, but as always, patience is needed. I doubt much will happen until the Hall of Fame, given no goons are free agents yet, so let's get that done and see the stats!

3 players make the Hall - none of whom have played enough in real life to know how their futures might unfold. But I include them and their stats for reference of what it takes to be a Hall of Famer.

But we're all here for the goons, three of whom appear:

Reggie Blank, one of our earlier studs, appears and promptly drops of the ballot. He only manages .7% of the vote :smith:.

Snorp Borsgaard is also on the ballot, his second year there, but is barely on the cusp of being dropped. There's no hope he makes it to 75%, but it's nice to see him hang in there.

Prince Vegeta, though, has the best showing of any goon so far. He's all the way up at 44% - ahead of Shohei Ohtani! His placement is a bit lower than I'd like for someone aiming to make it in the Hall - I don't want to rule him out given that this is his first year, but this is quite an uphill climb. Maxing out tantalizingly close in the 60's is entirely possible. It's also possible he loses momentum - Hader started at 74% and has only declined.

We will all watch Vegeta (and his comrades) in their efforts for the hall, but how did our guys and gals do in '45?

2045 Goon Batting Stats

Interesting. Arino led the goons in regular play time, serving as Mexico's primary center fielder through almost the whole season. His average and OBP declined a bit and definitely leave some to be desired, but his speed and contact abilities are off to a great start. Like Cooper on Colorado, Arino appears allergic to dingers - and managed to hit not a single one despite playing in high, dry air of Mexico City. He really needs to work on drawing more walks and finding other ways to get on base, or otherwise, that lack of power will hurt him.

Future Trunks was a bit more balanced in his approach, but otherwise remarkably similar. He has the edge on Arino in power, speed, and defense - making him overall a bit of a better player, with slightly less game time. He's firmly in place as Cincinnati's third baseman, so as his play time expands, I'm eager to see if he can match the skill of his father and continue to carry his legacy. Especially as Gohan waits in the wings to challenge him...

Bloomquist, our genetically engineered super baseball man, made his MLB debut this season, and he appears quite comfortable! He only played ~half the season, but the Brewers have him in their lineups as both the leadoff guy AND starting SS, so next season should be his chance to truly shine. What little he did though was productive - he looks to have the potential to have a 30 home run, 800+ OPS season if he continues at his current pace, which would be spectacular. I expect big things.

Fat Bastard got more play time this season than his 41 PA's last year, but Montreal has yet to trust him with the starting job. Not sure why - he managed a player of the week award off the friggin bench, and has pretty phenomenal power numbers in his limited sample. It's small sample size so I can't get TOO excited, but if I have a bench guy OPSing over 1.000, I'm putting him in games.

Overall a pretty good start for our budding hitters! I think I gotta give the Best Batting Goon Award for 2045 to Future Trunks, though I admit that the competition was fairly sparse. His better all-around play and defensive prowess allow him to surpass Arino's slightly better contact.

Goon Pitching Stats 2045

Only two pitchers remain, with Gaht out of contention... forever :(.

Clayton Jones is our only starter, and again, he pretty much matches last year's performance. His ERA improves slightly from 4.39 to 4.31, but really, his stats are nearly identical across the board:

Slight improvements, for the most part? Still good to see!

Itoh's performance is a bit shakier, but hardly damning. The ERA isn't terrible but the FIP, opposing average, and WHIP/BABIP are concerning, and suggest she got a bit lucky throughout the year. But 30 innings pitched is hardly a huge sample - she broke into the majors and will now work her way through the turbulent world of relief pitching.

Before we move on though, we have a few more disappointments to point out:

I'm not sure what happened here, but for some reason, Dio Brando just up and retired. His ratings were definitely tanking so that's probably a big part, but his actual performances were still pretty good, release by his team notwithstanding! Guess he didn't want to try free agency? He joins Gaht in retirement.

Another shocking retirement, as Tomokatsu does the exact same thing as Dio and just retires after being released by Milwaukee. Sad.

A man after my own heart - asthmatic Karl Marx becomes a free agent, but does NOT quit despite his control rating absolutely tanking.

:ussr:

Overall a year of continued growth for the goons and stage-setting for future excitement. We have a LOT of goons now waiting in the wings - I'll finish with a quick overview of everyone's position in their organizations, so we can be excited about the upcoming promotions:

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 20, 2023

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you made Gaht, Dio, or Tomokatsu, I'll give you a chance to quickly make a new player since your guys died so fast, to be thrown in the final newbie class of '46 along with the Cidel Fastro and and Charleston. That will be the end of the Gen 2 creation though!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

Another shocking retirement, as Tomokatsu does the exact same thing as Dio and just retires after being released by Milwaukee. Sad.

Booo! That's sad, but thanks for the opportunity for generating a new one.

Name: Asashoryu Akinori
Nickname: Bad Boy
Position: Catcher
Player type: Agressive... somehow.
Hometown: Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Primary Nationality: Mongolian
Second Nationality: Japanese
Number: 25
Height and Weight: 6’0'', 326 lbs

Ever critical of his nephew Hoshoryu, former Yokozuna Asashoryu travels back in time to show him how it's done.

The Natch
Feb 16, 2011

oh man i love me some nachos
Didn't have much hope for our sentient tortilla chip at the start of the update being one of the older in gen 2 and still being in A but 2nd place in MVP and a promotion to AA is a good start :unsmith:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Average Lettuce posted:

Ever critical of his nephew Hoshoryu, former Yokozuna Asashoryu travels back in time to show him how it's done.

hell yeah, asashoryu is my fave rikishi of all time

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

hell yeah, asashoryu is my fave rikishi of all time

Hell yeah!

Although I said he travels back in time, although it's 2045 or something. So he stays in the same place in time, but just gets younger... you figure it out!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Oh man. Gaht's gonna join the clergy instead of being a pitcher.

I'll post up another entrant soon.

Guthix Curnir
Mar 21, 2011
Surprised that Jay ended up #1, but I'm sure he won't turn it down. We'll have to see if he lives up to that lofty expectation, although I seem to remember former #1 picks underperforming so far.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Charlie Brown is proud of his hero! Made the WBC roster, even if he was just there to pour the Gatorade for his teammates, and being drafted 10th overall!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

JosefStalinator posted:

Joining the torn UCL club is Harold O'Stickly, whose glued on shoulders managed to fall off. He'll miss the rest of this season and most of the next as he recovers :(.

gently caress a duck, that's a bad sign for a pitcher who hasn't even graduated from A ball yet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Jim-Bob is at Tampa Bay! Seems obvious, actually.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Explosionface posted:

gently caress a duck, that's a bad sign for a pitcher who hasn't even graduated from A ball yet.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Keep plugging Jonesy. Outlast them all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JosefStalinator posted:

But Kiryu surprises us first, having silently earned the MVP award for the single A FCL league! He... was good, but not spectacular, and appears to have just barely beaten out the second place winner by a single first place vote. Kinda wonky, but it counts, so go Kiryu!

You should reread the news blurb because I think an OBP of .557 is pretty spectacular myself and I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you misread it.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 20, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ok, I'm out of PCs to make into baseball players from one D&D campaign, time to grab my PC from a Blades in the Dark system game that puts you in a gritty drug drama like Sons of Anarchy, Justified, Breaking Bad, and The Wire!

Name: Billy-John Bobbie Jim
Nickname: BJBJ
Position: Shortstop
Player type: Wily, quick-wristed, sure-handed, and almost as good as he thinks he is.
Hometown: Patterson, TN. (use Cleveland, TN as a stand-in)
Primary Nationality: American
Number: 1
Height and Weight: 6’1'', 140 lbs

Class: Hazard - a volatile artisan
Special Abilities:
* Blue Sky: You know the secrets of a unique intoxicant (Orange Tang, a bespoke party drug). In all matters regarding your product, you get +1d. When your product is used, it may have increased or special effect. The crew's Profit increases by +1.
* Ozymandias: You gain an xp trigger: You served your own grandeur or hubris. If this complicated or countered the crew’s goals, mark extra xp.
Crew: Dexy's Teatime Irregulars
Crew type: Hellraisers.
Crew Hideout: The Manhole Bar, on Main Street, Patterson.

Bio: B-J.B.J. came up hard in the town of Patterson, TN. With only a single parent through most of his childhood, he was a hellion throughout his school days and barely scraped through the local public education system. Despite this, he has a small genius for chemistry, especially the illicit kind. As a young queer man in a conservative southern town, BJBJ fell in with a nascent biker gang for cameraderie and protection. By the time he was 16 he could be found skipping school to bartend at one of the two gay bars in town, the decidedly downscale Manhole. By 17, he was experimenting with his own concoctions in the high school labs, and getting into street fights against the local neo-confederate militia. One of these fights ended up with him cold cocking an off duty sheriff's deputy who was tight with the militia, and BJBJ needed to split town. Thanks to his skills with lumber or leather in his hand, an opportunity to get out of town quickly presented itself.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

You should reread the news blurb because I think an OBP of .557 is pretty spectacular myself and I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you misread it.

Ohhh you are absolutely right! I think I just saw the competitive top lines and smaller sample since players bump around a lot and get promoted/demoted from the minor leagues, making for some occasionally wonky MVP votes, and didn't dig into it. Totally missed that insane OBP. That plate discipline :eyepop:.

Explosionface posted:

Wouldn't panic yet, but definitely not a good sign. Plenty of players gently caress up their UCL and recover just fine.

Also, this.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Jim-Bob is at Tampa Bay! Seems obvious, actually.

The prophecy fulfilled.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Oh nooooo drafted by the Yankees

fate worse than death

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Explosionface posted:

More like Harold O'Sickly

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm not sure what happened here, but for some reason, Dio Brando just up and retired. His ratings were definitely tanking so that's probably a big part, but his actual performances were still pretty good, release by his team notwithstanding! Guess he didn't want to try free agency? He joins Gaht in retirement.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY BEAUTIFUL BOY. :negative:

I’ll rustle up another character today. Just need to decide if I commit to a JoJos theme or play about with some other ideas.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I actually gasped when I read about poor Gaht's disastrous injury. Is there no room for a horselady in the major leagues?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

maki itoh pitching in the world series and her team getting swept is some real prime maki itoh stuff

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Name: Kira Yoshikage
Nickname: Killer Queen
Position: Batter
Player Type: Let RNG decide
Hometown: Morioh
Primary Nationality: Japan
Number: 33
Height and Weight: 5’11 143 lbs.

Kira Yoshikage is a completely ordinary man who just wants to live a quiet life, devoted to his hobbies. And also baseball. And just a few unfortunate obsessive tendencies.

Dislikes: Teenagers, Standing Out

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Bit concerned for Malocchio and my creation Karl Marx, as most of their draft class are already in the majors, and even the ones after them. Hopefully they're just late bloomers!

Malachi is absolutely trying a Jonathan Isaac-style political campaign on 2040s Tiktok, so his failures just become proof that his enemies are preventing his success. It's a win-win!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

JosefStalinator posted:

He died, a large Japanese teenager punched him to death.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

whoever submitted dio should submit diego next imho

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Man the universe really just did not want Gaht to play ball.

The Natch
Feb 16, 2011

oh man i love me some nachos
Just watching MLB happening in the UK and wondering if OOTP has the London games or if there is a possibility of a UK based team?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Natch posted:

Just watching MLB happening in the UK and wondering if OOTP has the London games or if there is a possibility of a UK based team?

I thought about going to that but they're charging 90 quid for a ticket, so no lol

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tevery Best posted:

Oh nooooo drafted by the Yankees

fate worse than death

THIRTY RINGS BAYBEE*. Always competitive, good budget, decent chance at a long Bob Glass-like career? It might be worth selling your soul.

*The Yankees won the 2030 world series.

HopperUK posted:

I actually gasped when I read about poor Gaht's disastrous injury. Is there no room for a horselady in the major leagues?

The risk of pitchers - and really players in general. I never liked that OOTP seems to measure injury proneness on a purely linear, degenerative scale. Players' injury proneness only seems to go up - the more they get injured, it seems to increase injury proneness, until it compounds and they just can't play anymore.

There are definitely real players like that, but there are also players that have a few injury plagued years and recover, reinvent, or pivot to something else. OOTP has very few examples of those latter three categories, and is entirely incapable of doing it properly with pitchers. Plenty of pitchers developed new pitches to adapt to injuries or declining velocity or whatever, but that's just a bit too advanced for the OOTP engine.

That does make pitchers slightly riskier, because they basically get one shot and if they tear their UCL one too many times, they just implode. Batters don't seem to get instantly destroyed as often.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

He died, a large Japanese teenager punched him to death.

This is now canon.

The Natch posted:

I don't think OOTP automatically does a London game, but it's entirely possible to just put a series in any other ballpark if you manually enter it.

As for a UK team - when I had you guys propose teams, you absolutely could have done a London team or basically anywhere you want. The game just accepts it and doesn't worry about the nightmare of scheduling/travel time and expenses/currency exchange it would create. Be an advocate if I get around to any more league restructuring/divisional realignment/expansion.

HopperUK posted:

I thought about going to that but they're charging 90 quid for a ticket, so no lol

Is baseball catching on in the UK? Was that 90 pound for like the nosebleeds or for decent seats? Because that's not too far off for good seats in much of the USA.

Will likely make the last batch of dudes and dudettes tomorrow, followed by 2046 not long after!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nah it's not catching on in a big way. It's just that people will go for the novelty so they know they can charge big bucks. 90 was the cheapest seat when I looked.

I wish it would catch on so I wasn't literally the only person I know who wants to row about the designated hitter but noooo everyone is into soccer.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dragongem posted:

Name: Charleston Stevenson
Nickname: The Duke of Blurghfilt
Position: Pitcher (let the game decide type)
Player type: Has a really good 4 seam fastball; let game decide about other pitches. Slightly annoying but somehow gets along with teammates well.
Hometown: Upton Snodsbury
Primary Nationality: Great Britain
Number: 34
Height and Weight: 5' 11'', 175 lbs

Charleston Stevenson grew up in the UK hoping to play for his local footballing team, Ducksnoggle FC, like his father and grandfather. Tragically, at the team tryout, he failed miserably and was told that he should never bother showing up again. Enraged, he threw his pipe as far and fast as he could. By some bizarre chance, a baseball scout was passing by while on vacation and recognized the man's talent for throwing a real mean four seamer. Despite protestations that "he'd never go to a backwater country like America", he was convinced to take a shot on reaching the major leagues. He hasn't figured out how to tell his family that he ,plays baseball yet.

He tells people he is the rightful Duke of Blurghfilt, a fact nobody has bothered to actually confirm.

I would just like to note that his original generated name was "Lester 'super gremlin' Odling" and that's one of the best I've yet seen.

Sir Charleston "The Duke of Bulurghfilt" Stevenson was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Or so he claims - he certainly possesses a posh British accent, and claims to be the heir to a great 'football' fortune. Whatever his origins, he arrived in the United States with considerable talent with his fastball - as well as a butler, maid, and entire entourage of support staff. Claiming to be a personal ally of eternal Prime Minister of the Remnant Kingdoms, Jacob Reese-Mogg, Charleston has something of an elitist air about him, often making comments and looking down upon his American cousins and supernatural creatures. Despite this, some reticence about his family - who he claims are "totally real he just can't talk to them," suggests some great internal shame, and a humility that has kept him on good terms with his teammates. Will Charleston eventually reconcile with his family legacy? Is he truly as wealthy as his accent and butlers suggest? Only time will tell.

Talent-wise, Stevenson has a delightful fastball and GREAT velocity... but struggles in many other categories. His control is also excellent, but his other pitches and movement could hamstring him. I think there's a good chance Charleston ends up as a reliever - that mean fastball and mediocre secondary pitches could make for a good transition. The biggest issue will be that low movement - his other pitches won't sizzle much, and he will always run the risk of giving up an untimely dinger, something most closers in particular will seek to avoid.

Kalman posted:

Name: Cidel Fastro
Nickname: The Maximum Leader
Position: Pitcher (let the game decide type)
Player type: Don’t care about his pitches and in game ratings. But I would like him to, to the greatest extent possible, be both an excellent leader of his teammates and an absolute cancer to management.
Hometown: Biran, Cuba
Primary Nationality: Cuban
Number: 19
Height and Weight: 6’3'', 176 lbs

They didn’t ask if they should. They just brought him back to do what they thought he always should have done - play baseball.

He has other plans. Viva la revolucion!

Cidel "The Maximum Leader" Castro was born in 2027. But not from the womb of a woman - but in a lab.

A certain Dr. Gonazalez, himself a devotee of the former leader, had anguished at his death. He was but a boy of 13 when he died, but the man had left an indelible mark on his life and Cuba as a whole. As Cuba began its descent into the sea, Dr. Gonzalez saw only one hope for the Cuban people - the revival of its beloved leader. Working with DNA recovered from the many preserved cigars and beard clippings, a clone of the former President of Cuba was created, and grew into a healthy baby boy named "Cidel." Sadly, the scientist would not live to see his creation grow, as the great tectonic events of the 2030's claimed his life and resulted in young Cidel's displacement and adoption by Cuban exile couple in Florida. Exposure and talent at baseball soon followed - and when at a critical moment he considered majoring in Political Science and pursuing a career in politics, he instead opted for baseball, changing his life forever.

Cidel is... pretty awesome, actually, and has the potential to be an all around great. I don't know why the game is making so many guys with sick changeups, but Cidel is excellent to elite at basically everything, with his changeup being his most impressive pitch. Pretty much the only thing he doesn't do is throw super hard, limiting his fastball's potential a bit (and making him rely on movement a bit more than changing speeds), but that's not a big deal when you have a curve, sinker, AND splitter. If his ratings hold up and all three main categories remain strong, he has the potential to be one of our best.

habeasdorkus posted:

Ok, I'm out of PCs to make into baseball players from one D&D campaign, time to grab my PC from a Blades in the Dark system game that puts you in a gritty drug drama like Sons of Anarchy, Justified, Breaking Bad, and The Wire!

Name: Billy-John Bobbie Jim
Nickname: BJBJ
Position: Shortstop
Player type: Wily, quick-wristed, sure-handed, and almost as good as he thinks he is.
Hometown: Patterson, TN. (use Cleveland, TN as a stand-in)
Primary Nationality: American
Number: 1
Height and Weight: 6’1'', 140 lbs

Class: Hazard - a volatile artisan
Special Abilities:
* Blue Sky: You know the secrets of a unique intoxicant (Orange Tang, a bespoke party drug). In all matters regarding your product, you get +1d. When your product is used, it may have increased or special effect. The crew's Profit increases by +1.
* Ozymandias: You gain an xp trigger: You served your own grandeur or hubris. If this complicated or countered the crew’s goals, mark extra xp.
Crew: Dexy's Teatime Irregulars
Crew type: Hellraisers.
Crew Hideout: The Manhole Bar, on Main Street, Patterson.

Bio: B-J.B.J. came up hard in the town of Patterson, TN. With only a single parent through most of his childhood, he was a hellion throughout his school days and barely scraped through the local public education system. Despite this, he has a small genius for chemistry, especially the illicit kind. As a young queer man in a conservative southern town, BJBJ fell in with a nascent biker gang for cameraderie and protection. By the time he was 16 he could be found skipping school to bartend at one of the two gay bars in town, the decidedly downscale Manhole. By 17, he was experimenting with his own concoctions in the high school labs, and getting into street fights against the local neo-confederate militia. One of these fights ended up with him cold cocking an off duty sheriff's deputy who was tight with the militia, and BJBJ needed to split town. Thanks to his skills with lumber or leather in his hand, an opportunity to get out of town quickly presented itself.

BJBJ is... an enigma. A gay man growing up in the Neo-Confederate hinterlands of the Born-Again Christian Commonwealth, there were few opportunities for advancement. What little success he found was in the bourgeoning meth mines - where, despite his... proclivities, his talents at chemistry and concoctions at a young age ensured him employment in the Commonwealth's primary industry. Eventually, however, his sexual preferences caught up to him - and after deftly seducing the son of the local militia leader, he was forced to skip town, spending some time as a nomad among the various counter-cultural youths of the region. It was in this time he was poached from the Commonwealth by a scout from the MLB - and began his journey to the majors.

BJBJ is pretty drat talented, and presents as potential contact AND power threat. His contact is among the highest potential we've seen so far, profiling him as an easy .300+ average hitter - but his power has the potential to be a 30+ dinger a season guy too! His spindly body must have some punch behind it - though his discipline and proclivity to strike out remain slight liabilities. His fielding could use some work too - despite his confidence, he makes many errors and isn't the best at turning a double play, so he may struggle to keep his position in the infield. If he truly can hit, he may end up a DH or firstbaseman.

Elite posted:

Name: Kira Yoshikage
Nickname: Killer Queen
Position: Batter
Player Type: Let RNG decide
Hometown: Morioh
Primary Nationality: Japan
Number: 33
Height and Weight: 5’11 143 lbs.

Kira Yoshikage is a completely ordinary man who just wants to live a quiet life, devoted to his hobbies. And also baseball. And just a few unfortunate obsessive tendencies.

Dislikes: Teenagers, Standing Out

Kira Yoshikage is... an odd man. Born in obscurity in a small village, Kira worked hard to attract attention, prefering to pursue his "hobbies" without interference. Unfortunately for him, NPB scouts picked up on his talents - noting his ferocity in beating small objects with his baseball bat while singing Queen songs. Initially annoyed at the attention he garnered, his ability to launch "bombs" over the fences during local games became a great source of wealth and praise - and the unfortunate injuries of his potential rivals saw him rise quickly as a top prospect.

Yoshikage may be our first actually good catcher - he profiles as another contact and power guy, leaning far more on the power as a potential 40-50 (or maybe even more!) dinger per season guy. Much like BJBJ, he suffers in eye and K potential, limiting his on base percentage and making him a strikeout risk. But a powerful catcher? That's a type of dude we haven't seen much. Even if his catching.... leaves something to be desired.

Also:

lol

Average Lettuce posted:

Not sure I like OOTP generating this... "nickname" randomly.

If you want it done right, you need to do it yourself.

Asahoryu Akinori, known as "Bad Boy," was born in Mongolia before migrating to Japan to pursue a career in sumo. While his career began well, he became concerned over the failures of his nephew "little nephew." Frustrated that he might besmirch the family name, Akinori began a quest to avenge his nephew, reversing time and returning back to the past to redeem his family name. In his travels around Japan he noticed a pattern - the various uncles of each family carried with them a unique energy and gift, and after meeting enough uncles, Akinori began transcending the limits of space and time. In an explosion of Uncle Energy, Akinori found himself transported to the exact moment of his nephew's failure - consoling his distraught nephew, and beginning the greatest journey any uncle had yet embarked upon.

Another catcher! But this one can 1. actually catch and 2. still absolutely crush the ball. He's still inferior to Killer Queen in most categories, but the fact that he's actually a VERY good defensive catcher should put him in a position to keep his power on display early, and for a longt ime. His other stats, like contact and discipline, still aren't TERRIBLE, and he really doesn't need to be that good to find a spot as a strong defensive catcher in virtually any lineup. It will be interesting to see how his defensive prowess balances out any struggles at the plate.

A bit rushed on these guys, but great characters! 2046 coming soon!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

Not sure I like OOTP generating this... "nickname" randomly.

If you want it done right, you need to do it yourself.

Asahoryu Akinori, known as "Bad Boy," was born in Mongolia before migrating to Japan to pursue a career in sumo. While his career began well, he became concerned over the failures of his nephew "little nephew." Frustrated that he might besmirch the family name, Akinori began a quest to avenge his nephew, reversing time and returning back to the past to redeem his family name. In his travels around Japan he noticed a pattern - the various uncles of each family carried with them a unique energy and gift, and after meeting enough uncles, Akinori began transcending the limits of space and time. In an explosion of Uncle Energy, Akinori found himself transported to the exact moment of his nephew's failure - consoling his distraught nephew, and beginning the greatest journey any uncle had yet embarked upon.

Another catcher! But this one can 1. actually catch and 2. still absolutely crush the ball. He's still inferior to Killer Queen in most categories, but the fact that he's actually a VERY good defensive catcher should put him in a position to keep his power on display early, and for a longt ime. His other stats, like contact and discipline, still aren't TERRIBLE, and he really doesn't need to be that good to find a spot as a strong defensive catcher in virtually any lineup. It will be interesting to see how his defensive prowess balances out any struggles at the plate.

A bit rushed on these guys, but great characters! 2046 coming soon!

Nice, an 80 potential player! I hope he will at least come close to fulfill that potential.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Hot drat, BJBJ can HIT. Not super fast, though, so he won't leg out a ton of infield ground balls. And his personality is "Shows up on time" which... could be worse? BJBJ was friends with a crust punk freegan who's dark secret was that they had a trust fund, so I assume BJBJ tooled around with them while on the run. I wonder if this BJBJ will ever meet and attempt to seduce the handsome young Tennessee Bureau of Investigation agent sent to look into drug distribution in Patterson.

Thanks for making all these characters, Stalinator. It's fun to watch our various bad ideas come to life. Post-career Gaht went to the high plains upstate to arguing with the voice of God in her head while pursuing her family job in the clergy. And Storg got himself turned into stone, again.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

JosefStalinator posted:

I would just like to note that his original generated name was "Lester 'super gremlin' Odling" and that's one of the best I've yet seen.

Sir Charleston "The Duke of Bulurghfilt" Stevenson was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Or so he claims - he certainly possesses a posh British accent, and claims to be the heir to a great 'football' fortune. Whatever his origins, he arrived in the United States with considerable talent with his fastball - as well as a butler, maid, and entire entourage of support staff. Claiming to be a personal ally of eternal Prime Minister of the Remnant Kingdoms, Jacob Reese-Mogg, Charleston has something of an elitist air about him, often making comments and looking down upon his American cousins and supernatural creatures. Despite this, some reticence about his family - who he claims are "totally real he just can't talk to them," suggests some great internal shame, and a humility that has kept him on good terms with his teammates. Will Charleston eventually reconcile with his family legacy? Is he truly as wealthy as his accent and butlers suggest? Only time will tell.

Talent-wise, Stevenson has a delightful fastball and GREAT velocity... but struggles in many other categories. His control is also excellent, but his other pitches and movement could hamstring him. I think there's a good chance Charleston ends up as a reliever - that mean fastball and mediocre secondary pitches could make for a good transition. The biggest issue will be that low movement - his other pitches won't sizzle much, and he will always run the risk of giving up an untimely dinger, something most closers in particular will seek to avoid.

Excited, thanks for getting him in!

Stevenson posted:

He won't quit the grind! He is READY to sacrifice bunt.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

Cidel is... pretty awesome, actually, and has the potential to be an all around great. I don't know why the game is making so many guys with sick changeups, but Cidel is excellent to elite at basically everything, with his changeup being his most impressive pitch. Pretty much the only thing he doesn't do is throw super hard, limiting his fastball's potential a bit (and making him rely on movement a bit more than changing speeds), but that's not a big deal when you have a curve, sinker, AND splitter. If his ratings hold up and all three main categories remain strong, he has the potential to be one of our best.

Well I wasn’t expecting that! Amazing job, looking forward to his shoulder immediately shattering into a billion pieces and sinking into the sea.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2046 MLB Season

2046 will see our last batch of goons enter the amateur draft for generation 2! Gen 2 started entering the league in 2039, and has been evenly spread with 5 sets of goons each year through 2046, spreading them out quite a bit.

By contrast, Gen 1 started in 2022 and only ran through 2026, so our goons were much more closely clustered. I wasn't guarding the ages as well or as evenly though - the oldest gen 1 goon is currently 45 (Cash Considerations) and the youngest 39 (SNK Replica), so there was still 6 years between them all.

Gen 2 runs from 25 (Clayton Jones) through 18 (Kira Yoshikage), with 5 goons born in each year from 2020 to 2027.

We already saw our first retirements (:rip: Dio, Gaht, and Hoshoryu), but I have a feeling 2046 is going to be a watershed year with lots of promotions. Here's hoping!

There's not much to watch in the pre-season other than our first free agent Karl Marx trying to find a team and stay relevant. Considering that his ratings have tanked down to 42, I'm not optimistic for my boy!

Waiting for the Kaiji to be promoted to this stat becomes laughable.

Deeply disappointed no goons have started a steakhouse or mangosteen scam or something. I should look for a mod for funnier news stories.

Here's how the goons are positioned on the first day of Spring Training:

My boy Karl Marx pulls of a slick move, signing a 3 year deal with the Vamps for a decent chunk of money! His foray into free agency was apparently not a terrible move - but will he manage to actually turn it into a career? I really hope Marx becomes the Mr. Panda of this generation, and makes millions never even throwing a pitch at the MLB level. Beating Panda's million dollars per innings pitched record may be tough.

13 goons make the spring training MLB rosters though - which is definitely a generational high. Some will be demoted before the season begins, but that's okay!

As a reminder, Harold O'Stickly starts the season injured, and looks to be healthy some time around July or August. That does give him some time to play this season, but definitely after the All-Star Break, and the exact length depends on his recovery and if they send him down for some rehab starts.

Uh oh goons, I made an oopsie!

Charleston Stevens was hurt for about a month with elbow tendinitis, which sucks, but I realized a mistake I made. When you generate players you can generate them as draftable amateurs or as free agents - I hosed up and made Stevenson a free agent instead of a draftable amateur. This doesn't technically hurt his value or anything, but it means that he will skip the draft and go straight to the farm system of the Rays. I'm not 100% sure how this will affect his early career contracts with arbitration and whatnot, but we may see some wonkiness to his contracts. My bad!

I think I did the other 4 goons correctly. We'll find out!

Come the first day of the season, 11 goons are in the majors, 2 of whom are injured. Fire Windom and Howard Duck are poised to make their MLB debuts, as might Stevenson, whose free agency fuckup has propelled him straight to the majors. We may need to put an asterisk by his name if he makes any goon longevity records!

MLB releases its top prospects, and BJBJ and Akinori make the top ten!

Our boy Howard Duck makes an early splash, winning the rookie player of the month award for April! An auspicious beginning, winning the award for his first month in the majors.

Nacho Chez is absolutely tearing it up down in AA.

Welp. So much for Stevenson making some new longevity record. He's pulled a Gaht and already hosed up his UCL, and will miss this season and most of the next. Goddamn it.

Marx being in character, fighting anyone who insults his theory, like a True Poster.

Silencio was looking in bad shape for a bit, but has seen a ratings surge and some signs of life down in the minors!

The "boyish" third baseman Duck is at it again! That's April and June as best newcomer. Do we have a rookie of the year contender?

We just might, because look at this!

Howard Duck and Willing Bloomquist III finally break our All-Star drought by being the first two goons named to the All-Star game for generation 2! This definitely bodes well for Howard's chances at being the rookie of the year!

Just before the All-Star game however, is the first year player draft!

2046 Amateur Draft:

1.4 - Billy-John Bobbie Jim, SS - Chicago Cubs
1.6- Asashoryu Akinori, C - Montreal Expos
1.16 - Kira Yoshikage, C - Detroit Beisbolcats
1.5 (supplemental) - Cidel Fastro, SP - Philadelphia Phillies

A great showing with every goon drafted in the first round, if we count the supplemental round for Cidel! We'll see if they sign.

Finally an all star game with goons! Willie Bloomquist actually got the starting nod at SS, which was cool!

Both our boys made an appearance at least, getting on base but not doing much of note.

2046 All-Star Break Batting Stats

Finally, some stats!

The first and most obvious performance here is by Willie Bloomquist III, who is popping off this season. His last season was great too, but limited by his rookie status - the Brewers learned and gave him the starting nod, and he's at shortstop full time now. The scariest part of his stats is that he hasn't even realized his potential:

Combine this with a 101 rating defensively at shortstop and... we may have a superstar on our hands!

Also:

What's interesting, and reflected in his stats, is that he's not always the best at anything in particular, but extremely good at everything (except avoiding striking out). He is second in HR's and RBI, second in average, and leads in walks and OBP. That .390 OBP is really, really good! His only weakness remains strikeouts, but he's so good at everything else, so who cares.

Howard Duck is the other big offensive standout on the list, showing phenomenal power with his little duck arms. He's on pace for a ~50 dinger season, and it looks like Cleveland is willing to give him the starting nod just about every day in his rookie season. His ~.250 average is also pretty drat good for a power hitter, netting him a very strong .850 OPS and 126 OPS+. RoY here we come!

Fat Bastard is also having a good season... when he's let out to play. Annoying that they're underusing a guy who is OPSing .880, but I can't control what Montreal does.

Arino is having a mediocre season, though it's not a bad one by any means. He has virtually no power so that average or OBP will need to stay high to stay relevant - he's doing alright in OBP (a bit above league average) and he's a basepath threat, but he'll need to do a teensy bit better to make his mark. His defense is superb too.

Trunks is doing alright as well - his average is fantastic, but like Arino, he has no power. Fortunately that better average and OBP mean a lot more, and he should be a valuable second baseman.

Somewhat surprising on this list is Clayton Jones, who isn't much of a two-way threat, but he can still kinda hit.

That's... pretty good for a pitcher, honestly, and he's hitting .200 off that. I'm guessing they're using him as an emergency pinch hitter and.. wait... no way.

:lol: looks like the American League has removed the DH from the game. So now the NL has a DH, and the AL doesn't. This game has a sense of humor. This means our AL pitchers will be showing up in our batting stats from now on! I wonder if any of our two-way guys will end up in the AL.

2046 All Star Pitching Stats

Still slim pickings on the pitching side of things!

Clayton Jones is again our only consistent starter, and he's having by far his best season yet. That 3.06 ERA is fantastic, and his peripherals are all sparkling too. A .210 opposing average? Only giving up 6 home runs over 19 games!? All while managing a great 9.0 K/9? Clayton has made huge strides - lets see if it holds through the season. His BABIP implies some regression... but we'll see.

Fire Windom surged into the majors this season, but has thus far not really sparkled. Of the non-Peppers, they've had the worst start - though the little fire icon indicates that they have been hot as of late. Relievers always have a small sample, but from what we've seen, this isn't particularly great. Despite this, the Expos have Windom as their dedicated closer - eat your heart out, fat bastard. Also lol @ a closer giving up 2.1 HR/9 innings. Windom has surrended more over 30 innings than Jones over 111.

Itoh may not be the closer in Washington, but she's honestly doing a bit better overall. That opposing average, FIP, and BABIP implies she's been kinda unlucky so far, and I expect her to continue to improve through the half - I bet she gets her ERA back into the 3's, among other improvements.

Pepper is technically here! Well, was here. He pitched 1.1 innings and got demoted back to AA again. Sad.

Finally some stats to look at! About time. Lets see how the latter half goes, and hope we finally win some awards.

Jecht Bestdad is involved in a trade, and now belongs to the Dodgers org.

This is disappointing - our best two-way prospect Jim Bob Marsh is shut down with a torn UCL aka the Gaht injury. At least he has his batting skills as backup.

Lenin is now in the Orb Weavers org.

Silencio again wins a minor league award! His ratings continue to rise back up - I think he's the first player I've seen tank and completely turn back around in ratings. It's rare, but it does happen.

Forget the Rookie award... Willie is just the best, period (for August).

BRION THROW GOOD IN MINORS.

Editing this in because I forgot:

2046 Amateur Draft Signings:

1.4 - Billy-John Bobbie Jim, SS - Chicago Cubs - $14,850,000
1.6- Asashoryu Akinori, C - Montreal Expos - $15,400,000
1.16 - Kira Yoshikage, C - Detroit Beisbolcats - $7,040,000
1.5 (supplemental) - Cidel Fastro, SP - Philadelphia Phillies - $2,910,000

Cidel seems like a steal at that price... but maybe the scouts and teams know something I don't.

The season ends! Let's see if any goons might win some rings.

Goon Ring Potential:

LAA - Jones
SEA - Pepper (he pitched 1.1 innings!)
MIL - Bloomquist
WAS - Itoh

Four chances? Not bad. Especially eager to see how Willie does in the postseason given his great year.

Jones picks up the win in game 2 of the Wild Card series for the Angels - not only pitching 5.2 scoreless, but also nabbing himself an RBI as a hitter! Abolish the DH!

No other goons made WC game appearances, as we move onto the division series.

I have to first point out that the Angels lost the first two games 9-2 and 6-3, then rallied to win 3 in a row, including a nailbiter of a game 5 1-0.

Jones pitched another scoreless game, 6.1 innings, just missing the eventual win as he was pulled the very inning the Angels would take the lead. A great run for Jones and the Angels so far!

Well you can't blame Bloomquist for this one - he hit 2 home runs and played phenomenally across the board. It looks like the brewers just have terrible pitching.

Itoh didn't make an appearance for Washington, but her ring hopes remain alive as they sweep Arizona.

Alas, Jones pitches ANOTHER great game, but his bullpen blew it in the 9th and the Angels would fall 4-1 against the Red Sox in the series.

That's still a great statline though - 2 ER over 18.2 innings? He did his best.

Maki Itoh makes a much bigger impact for the victorious nationals, even nabbing a win in fame 2! Will she nab a ring for her efforts, and get to be a certified World Series Appearer (tm)?

SHE WILL! MAKI ITOH WILL BE THE FIRST GOON OF GEN 2 TO WIN A WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP! HUZZAH!

Pretty solid performance over a small sample, but it counts! The Nationals actually took a 3-0 lead and nearly blew it, going to a game 7, but crushing the Red Sox in the final game 6-0.

Itoh finishes the playoffs with a solid statline, and definitely earned her ring. Congrats Itoh!

With the season done, let's see what awards our goons won. I have a good feeling about a certain someone...

Howard Duck indeed nabs the Rookie of the Year award for his impressive starting season! It looks like he fell off a wee bit at the end of the season, but it was enough to absolutely crush his competition. The Rookie of the Year award is great because it has to be earned in a player's first year in the majors, making it a bit rare among our goons. Congrats Howard!

But overshadowing Mr. Duck both literally and metaphorically, Willie Bloomquist III becomes the first and thus far ONLY goon to win the coveted MVP AWARD for 2046! This is HUGE - we have yet to have a goon win an MVP or Cy Young award, and Willie just managed it in his second season! We'll see his stats in greater depth later, but he had an impressive season in virtually every category. I'm expecting BIG things out of this guy.

If you look closely, you'll also see that he only barely won the award - the vote was 19-15 between him and Nelson Escobar. In terms of WAR Willie was by far superior (9.9 vs. 6.2), but Nelson led the league in runs, hits, HR, RBI, and slugging, with 45 home runs and a .336 batting average... so he was some FIERCE competition. Willie is lucky the OOTP voters are all sabermetric guys.

Willie and Howard can also add some golden gloves for their play at SS and 3B respectively, while Willie also netted a silver slugger! Willie may have just had the best season of any goon to date.

What a great season! Let's finish the year with the Hall vote and see how our goons did stat-wise.

Josh Hader makes the hall alongside Manuel de la Rosa - we're going to increasingly see fantasy people make up these votes, as our last RL vets are fading away.

Alas. Vegeta barely increased his vote share to 44.4 from 44.1, which doesn't really inspire confidence. Hader, who just snuck in in his 6th year, never fell below 67%, for reference.

AJ Kalan appeared on this years ballot and surprised me a bit by showing up just under Vegeta! Like Vegeta I don't think he'll make it, but they might both end up being on the ballot the full 10 years.

Down below, Douglas Dugless and Snorp Borsgaard make their final appearances in our annals, both dropping below the 5% threshold and losing out on their chance to ever make the hall.

2046 Goon Batting Stats

:eyepop: WILLIE! I have to start with him - our first goon MVP season was one for the ages. That 9.9 WAR for the year leads all goons in any year prior to this - and led the MLB as well. That WAR reflects the fact that he was an elite hitter but ALSO crushed it defensively - I'm constantly disappointed that OOTP doesn't outline oWAR and dWAR just to make things easy for us, but whatever. Just an across the board fantastic performance - a .407 OBP, nearly 1.000 OPS for an OPS+ of 155, stupid number of walks, goon leading 36 dingers and 101 RBI's....the list goes on. Again his ONLY blemish is his high strikeout rate, but who cares. If Willie can keep this up, we've got a generational talent on our hands.

But how many times did I say that with Gen 1, only to see them fade in a year?

Since this was an exceptional year, I thought I'd highlight some of the extra stats we normally don't get to see. That walk rate of 16% is absolutely outrageously good. For reference, from fangraphs:

I love that Willie is both above the high end of "excellent" for walking, but also below the "awful" range for striking out. Lots of other goodies in there, but in sum: he good.

But we have another big award winner in Howard Duck, who nabbed that RoY award! Howard honestly cooled a LOT in the second half - he only ended up with 32 dingers and that average, OBP, and everything else really tanked. Still a great season, and his defensive prowess kept that WAR up, but I hope there's more power to come if he ends up being a low average/OBP guy.

Shinya didn't really show much improvement in the second half, with his average being pretty darn mediocre for a player with 2 dingers to his name. His baserunning is great, and I assume he's got great defense to keep a positive WAR with those numbers... but he needs to do better.

Bastard continues to be a bench bat, and that power is real, but he otherwise cooled as well throughout the latter part of the season. 15 dingers off 300 PA's aint bad though... but I think he can do better with time.

Trunks slips under the radar as the most forgettable this season - though he ended up with the second best OPS+ of all the goons. That's particularly impressive with only 5 home runs - our boy is an XBH machine, but it's all doubles and triples. That high average is keeping his OBP afloat with a pretty disappointing number of walks... maybe more regular play time will help him out, but he's a decent player with some big holes in his talents.

No drama on the best goon here - Willie Bloomquist III for best batting goon 2046, by far.

2046 Goon Pitching

It's frustrating that we have so many goon prospects (11!) as starters, but for whatever reason, Clayton Jones is the only one up here!

As feared, Jones did regress a bit in the second half - that absurd HR/9 rate couldn't hold, and his ERA bloated back up to 3.76. That's still a great season and marks an improvement over the past - and his FIP actually suggests he might do even better in the future. I can't ignore that his K rate went up a bit and he continues to be very effective at missing bats - and if his ERA keeps creeping down towards 3.00, we may have a star in our midst.

Fire Windom actually improved despite my fears, finishing with an impressive 22 saves and improving their stats across the board. I'm still not exactly thrilled with all of them though - that FIP is pretty high, and that home run rate is way, way too high for a closer. But Windom got the job done, so.... can't complain!

Maki Itoh improved a lot in the second half, as predicted from the peripherals, to finish the the best ERA among the goons. I hope this means she'll be used more, and with a nice championship ring on her finger, maybe she'll get more opportunities for late leverage situations - or even a closer. She doesn't exactly throw hard or fit the profile of a closer, but who knows!

This one's tough again - I kinda wanna give it to Windom for coming out of nowhere to be a badass closer with 22 saves in their first season in the majors! Clayton has no competition anyway, so let's give the relievers a chance. Windom is my pick for best pitching goon for 2046!

Another year in the books - and a great one for goon kind! Another RoY award, our return to the All-Star break, and the ascendance of Willie Bloomquist III with our first ever MVP award and impressive talent. Will it last? Is this the beginning of a massive generational rush into the majors? Let's hope so!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 3, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hell yeah my boy! Jonesy you're rocking it. I hate the DH so this is immensely satisfying.

What an amazing year for our kids! Never gently caress with the duck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
What are the 2046 Amateur Draft signing results?

I need to know how much fictional money my fictional guy fictionally earns.