Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Willie Bloomquist having himself a Mookie Betts age 23 season. Mookie IRL is 30 years old and already passes the bus test. The bus test is for younger great players, and goes something like "If they got run over by a bus tomorrow, would they still make the Hall of Fame." Which, yeah, Mookie would. Maybe not the OOTP hall of fame, which seems to be a very small hall place that somehow still lets in relievers.

BJBJ was drafted by the Cubs, which means that when he gets to double A he'll be playing for the Tennessee Smokies 90 minutes from his home. Hope that he doesn't ruin the chemistry of that team, he might still have warrants out for him in TN.

Very happy to see that OOTP switched us back to the proper DH standard, one league with and one league without. Best of both worlds.

e: does the game modify minor league systems? Minor league clubs change affiliations all the time. For example, the Mets have been affiliated with 5 different AAA teams in the last 17 years. They and the Tidewater/Norfolk Tides were affiliated from 1969 through 2006, and then the Mets bounced between having New Orleans, Buffalo, Las Vegas, and now Syracuse as their top level minor league team. Las Vegas especially sucked, since it was so far from the MLB team that it made calling players up and sending them down a pain in the rear end. So who knows, maybe the Cubs AA team in 2046 is the Albuquerque Isotopes.

Update on last page!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The year is 2046 and an anthropomorphic duck is Rookie of the Year in the MLB. The Earth is healing.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Elite posted:

What are the 2046 Amateur Draft signing results?

I need to know how much fictional money my fictional guy fictionally earns.

I'm an idiot and forgot 🙃. Will get those shortly.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

we stay winning

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The year is 2046 and an anthropomorphic duck is Rookie of the Year in the MLB. The Earth is healing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there a reason you only count first place votes instead of overall score when mentioning awards voting?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
If I knew you were going to use Adrien Brody's picture for Sal Silencio, maybe I should've made him a super utility player.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a reason you only count first place votes instead of overall score when mentioning awards voting?

Ohhh good call!

The main reason is that I don't get an actual break down beyond first place votes - I only see the total points accrued by the players:

It is definitely worth mentioning how the system works more broadly for everyone else!

Members of the Baseball Writer's Association of America (BWAA, 2 from each city) cast their votes for their picks for the top 10 players in baseball, in order. Each position is awarded points, with first place votes granting a player 14 points, second place granting a player 9 points, then 8 for third... and so on, such that it comes out to 14-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. All of these are tallied to come to a cumulative point total, with the highest point total (NOT first place votes) being what determines the winner.

In the above example, we know Willie received 266 of his points from first place votes, and 130 from ranks 2-10. His close rival Nelson Escobar received 210 points from first place votes, and 168 from ranks 2-10. This shows just how close the vote was - Escobar was very, very close to winning enough 2-10 rankings to surpass Willie, but he couldn't quite do it. If first place didn't get that bonus 4 votes, and we pretended it was 10 points for first (consistent with the rest of the system), Willie would have won by 2 points with 320 points to Escobar's 318. Razor thin, and I would have loved to see the debates in real life over this - a guy who basically won because of WAR and defensive prowess over the Home Run, RBI, Hits, Runs scored, and slugging percentage leader (as well as a a .336 average and over 1.000 OPS!).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

Willie Bloomquist having himself a Mookie Betts age 23 season. Mookie IRL is 30 years old and already passes the bus test. The bus test is for younger great players, and goes something like "If they got run over by a bus tomorrow, would they still make the Hall of Fame." Which, yeah, Mookie would. Maybe not the OOTP hall of fame, which seems to be a very small hall place that somehow still lets in relievers.

BJBJ was drafted by the Cubs, which means that when he gets to double A he'll be playing for the Tennessee Smokies 90 minutes from his home. Hope that he doesn't ruin the chemistry of that team, he might still have warrants out for him in TN.

Very happy to see that OOTP switched us back to the proper DH standard, one league with and one league without. Best of both worlds.

e: does the game modify minor league systems? Minor league clubs change affiliations all the time. For example, the Mets have been affiliated with 5 different AAA teams in the last 17 years. They and the Tidewater/Norfolk Tides were affiliated from 1969 through 2006, and then the Mets bounced between having New Orleans, Buffalo, Las Vegas, and now Syracuse as their top level minor league team. Las Vegas especially sucked, since it was so far from the MLB team that it made calling players up and sending them down a pain in the rear end. So who knows, maybe the Cubs AA team in 2046 is the Albuquerque Isotopes.

Update on last page!

As far as I can tell, the minor leagues can technically change but rarely do. OOTP keeps them more static than IRL, aside from creating new ones for expansion teams. I could comb through and look for any changes but a brief survey of them showed the same ones that were affiliated with teams in 2022, when the simulation diverged into the gooniverse.

Elite posted:

What are the 2046 Amateur Draft signing results?

I need to know how much fictional money my fictional guy fictionally earns.

2046 Amateur Draft Signings:

1.4 - Billy-John Bobbie Jim, SS - Chicago Cubs - $14,850,000
1.6- Asashoryu Akinori, C - Montreal Expos - $15,400,000
1.16 - Kira Yoshikage, C - Detroit Beisbolcats - $7,040,000
1.5 (supplemental) - Cidel Fastro, SP - Philadelphia Phillies - $2,910,000

Cidel seems like a steal at that price... but maybe the scouts and teams know something I don't.

Obviously I forgot to note it, but all of them signing means are officially DONE with amateur drafts for this generation. Everyone has their teams - they may become free agents, but they won't be in the amateur draft anymore. College is overrated.

Also my apologies about the OP being terribly out of date, I am a lazy POS and need to clean it up ASAP!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Out of curiosity, and if it's not a pain in the rear end to display, can we see the 2046 payroll by team? It'd be interesting to see if spending correlates with winning, and which teams are being run into the ground by miserly owners.

Edit: If, for example, we notice a team is chronically running a barebones budget and consistently loses every year, they're a prime candidate to be sold and moved.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Out of curiosity, and if it's not a pain in the rear end to display, can we see the 2046 payroll by team? It'd be interesting to see if spending correlates with winning, and which teams are being run into the ground by miserly owners.

Edit: If, for example, we notice a team is chronically running a barebones budget and consistently loses every year, they're a prime candidate to be sold and moved.

That info is very easy!

Here's total payroll:

And revenue/expenses by ranking:

And by team:

Good on some teams for not being cheap! Most seem to be consistently running a 10-20 millionish profit for their team. A quick scan doesn't spot any Oakland A's level teams making absurd profits by slashing payroll (when you take into account broader expenses), but maybe someone will spot one.

EDIT: Found them! Red Sox and Brewers are the standouts, though the Red Sox went 85-68, while the Brewers went 88-65. Don't think OOTP models greed the same way as IRL.

Also, cleaning up the OP made me realize I didn't do obituaries/final stats for some of our players. I will fix that soon, and at least put it in the 3rd post with the other retired goons.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 3, 2023

Red
Apr 15, 2003

So it looks like the Orioles lost money while also being a bad team, correct?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Looks like it! Here's the whole standings for reference. Padres are bleeding money to be trash too.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also peep the dodgers with the 5th highest payroll winning 57 games.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
What's Mag# in that table?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

Padres are bleeding money to be trash too.

Haha good thing this is all fictional!!!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

2046 Amateur Draft Signings:

1.4 - Billy-John Bobbie Jim, SS - Chicago Cubs - $14,850,000

This is gonna solve his and his gang's multifarious legal issues and keep the Manhole solvent for years to come! He, uh, may need to be prodded into paying his taxes by his representation.

Tevery Best posted:

What's Mag# in that table?

Magic Number, the combination of wins and opponents losses that will clinch a division title/playoff spot. The screenshot of the standings comes with about 10 games remaining before the end of the season, looks like, unless I'd forgotten that we've switched back to a 154 game season. So in this case the Brewers have a Magic # of 1, meaning they need to either win one of their next ten games or have the Cardinals lose one to clinch their division. The Washington Nationals had a magic number of 10 with 9 games to play, with the Mets and Braves on their heels. As we saw from the playoffs, they hung on to their division lead and ended up beating the wildcard Mets in the NLCS on their way to the title.

If your team has a single digit magic number before the start of September you're having a fantastic season and are like 30 games up on your closest opposition. Clinching a division before September is basically unheard of, the 1998 Yankees won 114 games and clinched on September 9. The 2001 Mariners won 116 and clinched September 19 (note, the league was suspended for a week after 9/11) because the A's managed to win 102 games in the same division.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 3, 2023

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Oh no Charleston

I believe in you still

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Red posted:

Don't worry, the TV money and all sorts of other revenue is kept off those books, they'll be fine.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Lumpy posted:

Don't worry, the TV money and all sorts of other revenue is kept off those books, they'll be fine.

If they can replicate the Angelos family, that's some simulator!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
All those mesothelioma lawsuits aren't gonna argue themselves

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I wonder how Montreal is doing with a Capsule Monster as their dedicated closer.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

B... baseball?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So sorry my goon friends, I am in the middle of an increasingly complicated move - I have not forgotten, baseball will resume soon!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
More delays - I moved with anticipation of becoming poppa Stalinator late August - looks like he got impatient, so a busy newborn schedule now plagues me!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have not forgotten about beisbols

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

I have not forgotten about beisbols

If you wait long enough, your child can take over the LP some day.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Congratulations on being Poppa Stalinator! May your little boy be blessed with a good eye for off-speed pitches and breaking balls.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

JosefStalinator posted:

More delays - I moved with anticipation of becoming poppa Stalinator late August - looks like he got impatient, so a busy newborn schedule now plagues me!

Just remember, if you don't get tired enough at some point in the first week to where you're hallucinating, you're doing it wrong.

Congrats! My youngest turns three on the 10th.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

Eat when they eat. Sleep when they sleep. Do absurd Internet nonsense when they do absurd Internet nonsense.

(Congrats!)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mazel Tov! Make you teach him to throw lefty!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh dang congrats chief! How are his stats so far?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

teach the boy to throw the knuckler

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

ItohRespectArmy posted:

teach the boy to throw the knuckler

A left handed knuckleballer! That's the ticket!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Right handed power pitcher, left-handed knuckleballer.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Imagine thinking the child of a goon has any chance at being skilled in any form of physical activity.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he can get some from his mom's side though, inshallah.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

So you're saying you're not a lefty.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

B-baseball is coming, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HereticMIND posted:

B-baseball is coming, yeah?

Babies are harder work than I anticipated!

But you've spurred me into action! I'll make some time for this before I let the thread die from total inactivity!