Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That exhaust is awesome. That air intake is far from stock - it's a Donaldson Cyclopac, usually used on diesels I think? No loving idea why it'd be on a gas engine, unless maybe the original air filter housing was in rough shape or lost and "well this looks like it'll fit"-itis happened. That would be a lot more robust at quenching a backfire vs the stock one though, it's possible it went on for the same reason the exhaust is custom.

And you're right on what engine it SHOULD have in it - 360 or 390. Likely 360. It definitely looks like one of the FE motors..

You're gonna want to get familiar with how to set points. Or just jump straight to Pertronix and make your life easier. Fuel pump is gonna be bad (even if it starts off it, it'll likely be dumping gas into the crankcase, but they're easy to swap). Carb rebuild for sure. And draining all that bonfire fuel. You might want to plumb a gas can into the fuel pump at first, just to get it running (keep a couple of fire extinguishers around too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm kinda shocked someone at Napa didn't know what feeler gauges or a points file was - that's usually where the greybeards wind up. Owner must have brought his grandson to work that day :v: Feeler gauges are still very much used today, at least when you've torn into an engine far enough that the valve train comes out. I think I still have the set I got just out of high school, though I was using them to adjust the valves in my Hondas.

But once it's running, either look into Pertronix, or converting to later model Ford Duraspark II ignition (fully electronic). I know you need a distributor from 76-79 for Duraspark (plus the module, wiring, cap, rotor, possibly plug wires), vs Pertronix (which replaces the points and breaker plate, resides fully or mostly in the distributor IIRC). It'll run and drive much better.

Plan on either replacing the tanks, or at least pulling them and cleaning them. And 89 and 90 GM RWD V6/V8 is pretty down there on easy mode - didn't take much to make them run, but had basic throttle body fuel injection.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, you found the owner's grandson. Or someone the owner felt sorry for. Obviously someone that don't know poo poo about poo poo, though all of the other parts stores will happily sell you dielectric grease ("headlight grease") in a tiny packet if you try to buy any kind of bulb, and go off on a spiel about how you'll ruin your bulbs if you don't use it. :rolleyes:

When I say "greybeard", I'm talking boomer, not millennial (and 35-40 is solidly millennial). Someone old enough to have daily driven a car with points, when they were still a common sight on the road.