Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Where do you save your personal files
This poll is closed.
Rawdogging my home directory 12 8.39%
Documents/ 12 8.39%
dropbox 6 4.20%
icloud 9 6.29%
onedrive 6 4.20%
s3 bucket 5 3.50%
email to myself 9 6.29%
yeeted via rsync to an old optiplex in the basement 6 4.20%
sd card 6 4.20%
printed out 10 6.99%
github 7 4.90%
a backup on the vm itself 6 4.20%
rapidshare 4 2.80%
google drive 8 5.59%
box 4 2.80%
egnyte 3 2.10%
sharefile 4 2.80%
spideroak 3 2.10%
megaupload 6 4.20%
printed out 11 7.69%
uploaded to web server to send link to rms's demon to email it to him 6 4.20%
Total: 31 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i have an aws instance that has git repos, a postgres instance, and other stuff on it where i put important stuff. probably a lot more expensive than existing services when it comes to storage or bandwidth costs but whatever. all the stuff i have worth having backups for is text or code or small db tables or other small files so it doesn't really matter

also i like building overly complicated lovely systems by hand instead of using existing solutions so this is perfect for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
don't they? or maybe they did but not anymore. it rings a bell but i can't remember the name at all

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
same, and i'm including the ones for things like passports, driver's licenses, and insurance claims

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Lum_ posted:

you're probably thinking of lightsail, the version of ec2 that costs more and has an actual UI

https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/

that's for web hosting tho, nothing in cloud storage that's simplified. although there's plenty of third party apps that use s3 and glacier as a backend

ah, that might have been it. guess i misremembered

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
that's already every adobe product so why do they even need to train a model for that

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it also really depends on what the documents are and how many you have and how often you add new ones and how you use them and a whole bunch of other things. it might be you don't even have to organize them. one thing that's apparently a huge time saver for people who get tons of emails every day (suckers) is to not file them in some folder hierarchy or anything like that: just dump everything in the same folder and use search when you need something instead

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah but it's less work to not delete them and disk space is cheap

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
turn on ur monitor

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
or are utterly deranged and like to overengineer things yet get results that are inferior in every way to turnkey solutions, like me

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
gotta increase those profits!

probably the only valid reason i have for rolling my own is exactly that "hey we're sharing your stuff with people now and also you don't mind us selling all your metadata to anyone who wants it right?" thing providers could do. with my aws stuff if that happens it's because i've hosed up config somewhere and it'll be a valuable lesson. also who the gently caress is going to notice one more unsecured s3 bucket among ten million others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

distortion park posted:

I feel like I'd like having one setup but the idea of installing a service to maintain the config of another self hosted service out of work hours makes me queasy

do it during work hours then