Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Where do you save your personal files
This poll is closed.
Rawdogging my home directory 12 8.39%
Documents/ 12 8.39%
dropbox 6 4.20%
icloud 9 6.29%
onedrive 6 4.20%
s3 bucket 5 3.50%
email to myself 9 6.29%
yeeted via rsync to an old optiplex in the basement 6 4.20%
sd card 6 4.20%
printed out 10 6.99%
github 7 4.90%
a backup on the vm itself 6 4.20%
rapidshare 4 2.80%
google drive 8 5.59%
box 4 2.80%
egnyte 3 2.10%
sharefile 4 2.80%
spideroak 3 2.10%
megaupload 6 4.20%
printed out 11 7.69%
uploaded to web server to send link to rms's demon to email it to him 6 4.20%
Total: 31 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

after cleaning up a bunch of old drives, yeah. i use icloud for goofy images etc. since it's simple enough on windows, but any real files live on a network drive that i backblaze and can pull from any os locally

it was handy when i was condensing and sorting old file because i deleted something, realized it was meaningful, and pulled the backup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cat Face Joe posted:

let's see, ill be 13 in and 14 down

i'm

TREE
OLD

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Laserjet 4P posted:

for photos there is only one way that works: dir with year as name and subdirs with year-month-day containing photos. prune early and often because doing it later is more painful, especially with family pictures. i despise lightroom or bridge or whatever adobe poo poo trying to be smarter than a hierarchical fs.

having just done a preliminary tidying of several old drives with files and photos from the last 25 years these absolutely were

the best were when i had pulled files with date naming, the worst were ones where the creation metadata was wrong and exif data didn't exist because the digital camera had a crappy clock and would reset to the initial epoch date. my memory was off by a few years and i was lucky to find duplicates with older and more accurate dates to improve sorting

Captain Foo posted:

wiztree is the best windows disk analysis tool

it's real nice and i keep forgetting to switch out from windirstat. they're very similar but wiztree is way quicker

there's also grandperspective for macs

polyester concept posted:

thanks, i've been using windirstat for years but it sounds like wiztree is 46 times faster

it's so fast and i don't know why i reverted on my newer machine