Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Where do you save your personal files
This poll is closed.
Rawdogging my home directory 12 8.39%
Documents/ 12 8.39%
dropbox 6 4.20%
icloud 9 6.29%
onedrive 6 4.20%
s3 bucket 5 3.50%
email to myself 9 6.29%
yeeted via rsync to an old optiplex in the basement 6 4.20%
sd card 6 4.20%
printed out 10 6.99%
github 7 4.90%
a backup on the vm itself 6 4.20%
rapidshare 4 2.80%
google drive 8 5.59%
box 4 2.80%
egnyte 3 2.10%
sharefile 4 2.80%
spideroak 3 2.10%
megaupload 6 4.20%
printed out 11 7.69%
uploaded to web server to send link to rms's demon to email it to him 6 4.20%
Total: 31 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Oysters Autobio posted:

resurrecting to quote this because im seriously at a loss and too embarassed to ask anyone how to actually organize my file drive docs or actually get windows search to be able to search my docs.

like, what do the meganerds do here? I have this sprawling multi folder garbage that im tempted just to consolidate into one folder, but even with the fairly lovely folder structure it at least gives some sort of searchability for my docs.

https://www.voidtools.com/ combined with https://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/. the interface of the latter has been dumbed down which sucks, i would love an expert mode. it has a music fingerprint mode but that’s not very good. i still want something that can find similar jpgs with different resolutions/crops.

for photos there is only one way that works: dir with year as name and subdirs with year-month-day containing photos. prune early and often because doing it later is more painful, especially with family pictures. i despise lightroom or bridge or whatever adobe poo poo trying to be smarter than a hierarchical fs.

for music i use first letter folder containing artist - albumname containing mp3s/flac which are selfcontained naming wise, but retroactively tagging your music is a poo poo job. some people give a poo poo about the year it was released, i don’t.

important thing is to keep your folders as shallow as possible. use partitions to separate roughly by category so music is on the music drive, documents are on the docs drive, and so on. only time real depth is allowed is when you have a node_modules .

google drive just makes everything unfindable. just get a synology and dump to glacier. hope you never need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

SO DEMANDING posted:

:stare:

the gently caress is this late 90s linux poo poo

it's late 90s windows poo poo because when c:\ goes down i had no second computer to plop it in to flatten and reinstall.

but partition is the wrong name for what my nas does which is basically faking a top level dir. either way it shows up as a different network drive which is a Good Thing because that means you don't have to commit to a certain size like w/ actual partitions, and you can't easily gently caress poo poo up

(you can still gently caress poo poo up but the blast radius is smaller)