Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I am so drat hyped for this. Makes me wanna play CK3 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

:five:

Reach Lizard Nirvana through Swamp-Hive-Mind-Metatemporal-Psycho-Magic-Fuckery (and some violence)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

also kudos to this backstory which is simultaneously a perfect reference to the elder scrolls games starting with a prisoner and also to Young Julius Caesar's adventures with the pirates

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

A Pit of Vipers (2E 440 - 2E 453)

Sikaaswulm had been pacing the clearing for ten minutes before the older Saxhleel lost patience and barked “Give it a rest already, you go any longer and we’ll be able to plant saltrice in that furrow!” Sikaaswulm stopped and made no effort to hide how puffed up his frills were. The two had been good friends in the court for many years, but times like this he was reminded of how much of a hapless meathead Tsuzar was.

“How can you be so calm? This is almost certainly a trap! Any minute now a dozen grayskin sellswords are going to show up to deliver our heads to Iozukeeus.” Tsuzar shook his head, “If he’d wanted us dead he would have done it when we resigned from the court.” To punctuate his dismissal of the green-skinned Saxhleel’s worries, Tsuzar flicked the very end of his tail. Sikaaswulm threw his hands up, his nostrils flaring in disbelief “Of course he couldn’t kill us THEN! It would’ve been a scandal and caused the whole court to flee! Better to lure us here, in the middle of the marsh, where nobody will know.”

“If you were worried about an ambush you should have checked your surroundings better.” A lithe figure, which had previously lay hidden atop a tall tree branch veiled in flint vines, stood and slid down the tree. Pulling back the hood of her cloak, the spy revealed her narrow copper face and amber eyes. Sikaaswulm was lost for words, but the sturdy Tsuzar didn’t miss a step and bowed low to the new arrival, “Nassa Martul, it pleases me beyond words to see you once more.” Martul’s face broke into a grin, the first she had experienced in some time, “I feel much the same about seeing you, faithful Tsuzar,” she turned to Sikasswulm, who bowed as well, “Sikasswulm is right to be cautious, these are dangerous times for all of us.”

Sikaaswulm truly looked at Martul for the first time. She had been missing for nearly 6 months. He had assumed, like everyone else, that she had been murdered like the rest of her family. It had been a great regret for him, the two had trained under the previous leaf-whisperer and he had long admired her talent. Most nobles he knew tended to look down on lowborn courtiers, but Skaaswulm knew that she respected his skills as well. Now she looked thin and dangerous, like a coiled snake on the verge of striking. Wherever she had been, it had given her a sharp edge. “What do you know of recent events, my nassa?” Martul made an open-palmed gesture with one hand, “Not much. The first guard I met told me only that my father was dead, it wasn’t safe for me at Mazzatun and that I should seek out Tsuzar. I’ve poked around some, where I could, but your average lichen farmer knows little of foreign or domestic affairs. What can you tell me, leaf-whisperer?”

“Potentate Savirien-Chorak is dead, murdered along with his son and heir Dinieras. Savirien-Chorak’s grandson, Aixnieras, has taken up the mantle. But he has neither the political connections nor the coin necessary to establish a firm hold on his new crown. Bruma and Leyawiin are ignoring his missives, the Potentate’s authority doesn’t extend far beyond Lake Rumare.”

“The zealot Attrebus Sosildor of Chorrol has rallied the Colovian lords of Kvatch, Anvil and Skingrad to overthrow the Potentate. I have heard rumors that his rebellion is financed in secret by the Elder Council, the richest merchants, powerful priests and influential legion veterans in the Imperial City. Regardless of who wins this civil war, the Potentate is finished.”

“The Chorak’s were never more than a snake in the skin of a bigger snake in the skin of an even bigger snake, but the Potentate was the center of gravity in Tamriel for a long time. While the local governor had no power outside of Lilmoth, Black Marsh was still technically a ‘province’ of Cyrodiil. The Dunmer still recall the Four-Score War with the Remans and the Potentate kept them at bay for 400 years. This is why House Dres has, until now, worked through proxies like the Padomaic Slave Guild. The guild undertook raids all along the Padomaic Coast and when their raiding got too severe a powerful tribal leader would scrape together a big “tax payment” to bribe the right members of the Elder Council, who would send a detachment of the Imperial Navy to patrol the coast for a couple years. Not wanting their ships seized, the Guild would pull back and then slowly ramp up again over the course of a few decades. It was a predictable pattern, but now Cyrodiil is a fractured mess and the Great Houses grow bold.”

“The Councilor of Hairab has been waging a war of reclamation against Toteikhleel for nearly a decade, as you well know. House Dres has been quietly funding their vassal’s protracted border conflict the whole time, but now the Archmaster of Dres has openly declared his intent to enforce the borders of Morrowind outlined in the Cervant Truce. This would mean open war on all of the tribes of southern Tearmarsh.”

“House Redoran is uncharacteristically active in Black Marsh as well. Perhaps Archmaster Aras feels that he can safely divert his attention from his western border, now that Skyrim has split in half following the death of High King Logrolf. He has married one of his sons to the new duchess of Stormhold, securing a valuable proxy in our land. I believe it was her, Duchess Ranosa Drethan, who hired the sellswords that murdered the late nassa.”

As Sikaaswulm finished speaking a new worry arose from within him. He had been rattling off these details matter-of-factly, but he was talking about Martul’s entire family being murdered. His teacher had often criticized him for his insensitive manner. “A capable agent must not rub salt in wounds needlessly, it is the surest way to attract attention,” she had told him on more than one occasion. If Martul was offended, however, she didn’t show it. Her eyes were narrowed in deep thought, mulling over his words, “why are you so certain it was Ranosa? Why not Ilavio or the Kothringi?”

“Ilavio is no plotter, he’s a legion veteran with far more levies at his disposal. If he’d wanted Mazzatun he’d have declared war openly and marched through Sul. I slipped some coin to a servant who was on duty during dinner at your father’s hall that night. He said there were two dozen of them, mostly Dunmer with a few Barsaebic mages. Your kin put up a real fight, at least 9 of the bastards died in that room…”

Sikaaswulm trailed off, he was doing it again, slipping into comments that had no value to the Nassa. He cleared his throat and dodged a look of concern from Tsuzar. “A week later some Archein scum shows up with a group of 50 shellbacks and a stack of poorly forged documents which he claimed proved him to be the closest remaining relative of Kaal Suka-Tel. Nobody was really in charge at that point and he was able to threaten or bribe enough fools on the council to get their assent.”

So far Martul had betrayed no sign of anger or impatience, but now her hand began to trace slow circles on the hilt of her dagger as she spoke, “And this Archein, what support does he have?”

Tsuzar cleared his throat and raised a hand, “Almost none. When this Archein, Jera-Meen, took over, me and Sikaaswulm were not the only ones to resign. Half of the Reel-Ka took their swords and left, returning to their clan farms. Nearly all of the sap-speakers have abandoned the hall as well, Jera-Meen does not support the middle path of your father. Most of the council would back you, my lady, they just need to be reassured that you won’t fire or execute them for staying on under Jera-Meen’s rulership.”

He gestured to himself and the other male, “Sikaaswulm and me don’t have family’s to take care of, so resigning was easy. But the rest of the council have mouths to feed. Let them know that you will restore things to how they were under your father and I am sure Jera-Meen can be removed without more than a night’s worth of violence.”

Martul nodded and slipped a gleaming chitin dagger, its hilt decorated with twisting serpents in bronze, “That would be best, of course. Cut the head off the snake and let the rest wither away. Very well, the council members will have their assurance. I assume a single gesture, be it big enough, would do the trick?” Sikaaswulm cocked a brow ridge in curiosity, but nodded in agreement. In a practiced motion Martul resheathed the blade and pointed a finger at the green skinned leaf-whisperer, “Sikaaswulm, you are to be my consort. Any objections?”

Sikaaswulm, who had thought himself finished with surprises for the day, found himself unable to speak for several seconds. At last he gave a weak nod and added, pathetically, “That’s a fine weapon, my lady.” She grinned, genuinely, and drew it again “A gift, from a thankful bandit chief. Always good to keep a keen tool on hand.”

In the early months of year 440 of the 2nd Era in the Imperial calendar, the rule of Nassa Jera-Meen was cut short in a single night of violence. While his clan mates were distracted by attacking warriors loyal to clan Rantee, the chieftain was killed by Martul Rantee in single combat. She threw his head into the crowd of Archein warriors defending the main entrance to the chieftain’s hall and offered them 3 days to get beyond the view of the Mazzatun mountains. Their chief dead, the warriors scattered and the sap-speakers of the Amber Way returned from the wildernesses, singing her praises.

The first year of Nassa Martul’s rule was eventful. Early in Spring Marshal Tsuzar led a raid against the Kothringi tribe in the Cradle of Shadows, but was driven back after inflicting a serious wound upon their chieftess. The nassa meditated and communed with the Hist for guidance for weeks at a time. She drank of the sap and a number of fine feathers sprouted from her head. In Hist-Tsoko it was announced that she had laid two eggs and the tribe celebrated for a week. The nassa, however, seemed less enthused and many worried that the laying had strained her health.

Sikaaswulm ducked just in time to avoid the clump of moss which had been aimed at his head. Closing the door to his private chambers, he turned to face his fuming mate. “You have been abusing the amber sap! And using this-this poo poo to color your scales and hide the color in them! How long did you think you could hide this from me, from your nassa!” He raised his hands in surrender, “I have no excuse, my lady. I-I thought it would make me stronger, strong enough to protect you and our children. I worry that I am not enough to stand by your side as I am.”
Martul’s frills remained erect, but she crossed her arms and leaned against the desk, which he took as a good sign. “You do not understand, do you? The amber hist is not something an ordinary Saxhleel can handle, only experienced sap-speakers can take it without experiencing serious effects. In your sap-mad state you assaulted a hunter in the woods, I found large pieces bitten from his body.”

Her mate stood in shocked silence for a minute before she continued, “You will never take the sap again. Do you understand me? You are the father of my heirs and a dear friend, but if you do this again I will end your life.” With that she stood and left the study.

In Vakka 442 the eggs of Nassa Martul and her consort Sikaaswulm hatch, revealing twin boys, the future of clan Rantee.

After two years of recovering from a failed raid of Cradle of Shadows, the warriors of Mazzatun are again summoned by the nassa for war upon the nearby Kothringi tribe. The campaign was short, two battles at Stillrise and Cradle ended in victory for the marshal Tsuzar. But at Cradle the Saxhleel suffered a grievous wound when a spear pierced his side.

Only days after the war concluded the veteran commander passed away. Nassa Martul spent half of the loot taken from Cradle of Shadows to have an intricate xul-vaat carved, recounting his many years of service to the clan and the Hist. His body is staked in a place of honor, near the sap pools of the first Hist to embrace the Amber Way.

His replacement was soon found in Dithis of Blacklight, a Dunmer warrior who traveled Black marsh seeking his fortune. Unlike most outsiders he adjusted well to the hostile environment of the marsh and gained a reputation as a skilled hunter of wamasu, hackwings and kagouti. Despite initial distrust among the courtiers he soon proves himself in a raid of neighboring Hei Halai, returning to his nassa with a small fortune in ivory and silver.

Dithis would prove himself again and again in the following years, frequently raiding the Kothringi, Dunmer and Barsaebic settlements surrounding Mazzatun. In the 6th year of her reign the nassa laid her third egg, another boy.

Most of the 44th decade passed peacefully in Mazzatun. Kothringi tribesmen, resentful of Saxhleel rule, frequently turned to banditry, but the nassa was quick to stamp out any group of real size. She laid her fourth egg, a girl, in 447. News of far-reaching import came the following year, when the Cyrodilic civil war came to an end with the imprisonment of the potentate. The Elder Council declared Attrebus Sosilidor temporary potentate in order to prevent a complete collapse of imperial power, a stopgap measure that would ultimately fail.

Imperial authority in Black Marsh had dwindled to nothing by this point, however, and a more important development distracted Nassa Martul in the late 40’s. The Duchess Ranosa Drethan of Stormhold passed away only shortly after the death of her father-in-law, Archmaster Aras of House Redoran. Her son Duke Uril took leadership of Stormhold at age 5 without any formal alliance to his grandfather’s house in Morrowind. It was an opportunity Martul could not pass up.

Tearmarsh, divided between House Dres and Toteikhleel, had long been a site of internecine conflict. Hleel and Archein mercenary groups who plied their bloody trade there were some of the best in eastern Black marsh. One such group, the Tsoon Stranmarch Reel-ka, is hired with a decade’s worth of raid plunder to supplement the levies of Mazzatun. The combined forces under Marshal Dithis quickly took the fortress of Hei Halai, thanks to Saxhleel informants inside the Dunmer castle. Not expecting Dithis to seize the fort so soon, the forces gathering at Stormhold are caught unprepared and nearly half their number slaughtered as they attempted to retreat into the swamp.

With their child lord trapped by a besieging army the forces of Duke Uril made a desperate attempt to dislodge them, but failed. The siege carried on, but was interrupted by the machinations of the Raj-kaal of Alten Tormont. Sensing weakness in both sides of the conflict, he declared his own war on Stormhold and his army of 3,000 easily defeated the forces under Dithis.

The war thereafter became a stalemate. The forces of both Duke Uril and Nassa Martul were too small to attack the Alten Tormont force directly. But Raj-kaal Brand-Shei was unwilling to engage either force either, fearful that he would lose so many saxhleel in the battle that the other army would be able to swoop in and finish off his victorious, but weakened, force. He was likewise unwilling to begin a lengthy siege which would require him to either split off a force which could live off Stromhold’s limited forage, thereby leaving it vulnerable, or keep the whole force together and see his men begin to die from a lack of sustenance.

With the situation in stasis for the moment, Dithis was recalled with most of his forces to deal with an uprising of Kothringi tribesmen. A small detachment was left behind, commanded by Sikaaswulm, to monitor Brand-Shei’s army near Stormhold. One night his forces were discovered and attacked. Some were able to retreat, but the consort was felled in combat against the brother of Brand-Shei.

Finding the kaal of Mazzatun among the dead, the marshal of Alten Tormont assumed that the tribe had run out of funds to pay their mercenaries and the small force he had chased off was all that was left. This freed him to march north in pursuit of the army of Stormhold, whose commander was desperately seeking a lord of House Redoran willing to aid him in freeing Duke Uril. Taking advantage of this gap, Dithis returned east and captured the stronghold, along with its young lord. His council was forced at swordpoint to renounce all claims to the lands of Stormhold and recognize Martul as its rightful lady.

The pond had been used by the Dunmer to stock eels for the royal pantry. It was a beautiful spot, crescent shaped and surrounded on all sides by willow trees whose long trails of leaves connected with their mirror selves in the water, so that when the wind was still it looked like there were two skies which were linked by green ladders. One of the first things Martul had done after peace was concluded was to order the eeler’s shack demolished. She had considered moving Tsuzar here, but decided he would have wanted his body to return to the Hist in Mazzatun. The Raj-nassa of Stormhold placed her hand upon the grave-stake and studied the carvings. His years of training under their late teacher, his service to her father, his role in overthrowing the usurper Jera-Meen, all of it was inscribed and painted upon the xul-vaat. At the bottom it showed him, slain in galant battle against the hated slavers, with his sword in hand. That is how his children would remember him, as a brave warrior for his people. The thought made her feel no better about what he had forced her to do.

Clayren fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 6, 2023

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
When Raj-nassa Martul took control of all of Stormhold, she did so as more than just another Saxhleel chieftain. She was the leader of a political, spiritual and cultural movement which had arisen in response to centuries of conflict with men and mer along the borderlands of Black Marsh. It was her father who had first developed the Amber Path with the hist tree of Mazzatun and as his only living heir she inherited a good degree of his influence over the faithful. As such she was in a unique position to define the path which the realm and movement would take in the future.

One issue which she had to deal with soon after the conquest of Stormhold was the non-saxhleel populations of the region. While the region was predominantly argonian, other races had long called Black Marsh home. These included:

Barsaebic Ayleids

In the late Merethic Era a vast war began between Aedra and Daedra worshiping Ayleids. After hundreds of years of warfare and the devastation of innumerable cities, the daedra-worshipping Atataric Ayleids were victorious and the remaining Barsaebic Ayleids were driven into northwestern Black marsh. The victorious Atataric's did not have long to enjoy their victory, however, as a series of massive slave revolts soon engulfed Cyrodiil and led to the eventual extinction of Ayleid culture in central Tamriel.

The Barsaebic Ayleids have been in Black marsh for over a thousand years now. They practice their own form of faith in the Aedra, worshipping some and disdaining those who they believe "betrayed them" to aid mankind. This faith endorses both slavery and blood sacrifice of non-elves and they have long been in conflict with beastman populations. They might be allowed to stay in the realm, if they can be convinced to abandon the faith of their ancestors and their Altmer sense of superiority.

Dunmer

The Chimer arrived in Morrowind in the late Merethic Era as dissident Altmer, fleeing persecution in Summerset for their worship of Daedra. Over time they acculturated to their new volcanic homeland and became known as Dunmer, for their gray skin. The Dunmer at some point in their long history began to engage in frequent raids on the Saxhleel of Black Marsh. Following the end of the Four-Score War with the Reman Empire, the Dunmer Great House Dres took over the region of Tearmarsh and enslaved most of its population to turn the fertile region into a massive machine for the production of saltrice, which feeds most of Morrowind.

The Dunmer are slavers and colonizers. Even the most optimistic and forgiving of Saxhleel can see no future in which they might live amongst us in sizeable numbers.

Nedes

The Nedic Humans of Black Marsh have been here since before our earliest histories. They may well be as native to the region as the Saxhleel, although many trace a mixed ancestry to slaves who escaped to the region in the days of the Ayleids. There are many tribes of Nedes, but the largest ones in Black Marsh are the Kothringi, Yespest, Orma and Hornwalli.

Most live in manner similar to that of the Saxhleel tribes and their faiths, while varied, are not irreconcilable to Saxhleel rule.

Lilmothiit

The fox folk of southern Black Marsh believe that they were granted permission by the Hist to settle in the region long ago, in exchange for a restrictive set of covenants to protect and serve the Hist and the marsh. The Lilmothiit make finding loopholes and exceptions in these voluminous covenants a matter of religious practice. Literacy and wordplay are highly valued and the Cyrodiilic merchants who often trade in the city of Lilmoth have long since learned to never enter a contract with a Lilmothiit.

The Lilmothiit way of relating to the Hist is strange, to us, but not obscene. Perhaps the Hist find their antics and tricks amusing. Few would argue that they do not belong in the realm.

Please choose one of the following options.

A. The Amber Path is for the Saxhleel, but the Nedes and Lilmothiit are welcome to live amongst us and practice their faith. So too are the Ayleids, but they shall have to renounce their vile faith, for blood sacrifice and slavery are things of the past which need not return to the Hist.

B. The Amber Path is for the Saxhleel, but the Nedes and Lilmothiit are welcome to live amongst us and practice their faith. The elves, sadly, are beyond hope. They began at a philosophical point of racial supremacy and none of them has significantly moved away from that point in the past 2,000 years.

C. The Amber Path is for the Saxhleel, but the Lilmothiit are like cousins to us and may live and practice their faith amongst us. The men and mer are much alike in their need to dominate, though we'll give the men credit for rejecting slavery. They cannot live among us.

D. The Amber Path is for the Saxhleel and so too must Black Marsh be for the Saxhleel alone.

E. The Amber Path is for the Saxhleel, but Black marsh is great enough for all. Men, mer and Lilmothiit are welcome to live and practice their faiths, though vile acts of slavery and sacrifice shall be outlawed. Even the Dunmer can find a place amongst us, in this brave new future we are building.
This option is WILDLY unpopular and will require a majority of votes to pass.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Voting for B. Those Ayleids are too smug to be allowed to stay.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
B

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I say A

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
On the one hand, driving the remaining Ayleids to extinction doesn't sound too great from a 21st century perspective. On the other hand, elves are bastards. B

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

B. Black Marsh is the ancestral home of all of us, and they shall be welcomed as brothers in its defense. Alloys are stronger, and they have compatible philosophies to our own.

Plus the Kothringi and Lilmothi are extinct by the time of the Elder Scrolls games proper, and I wanna see what they can get up to if they stick around a bit longer. gently caress the Ayleids though

edit: All that being said, the performance of Dithis in our conquest of Stormhold does make me consider whether Dunmer have a place as well, at least on a case by case basis. They may be our enemy, but it's a fool who thinks an enemy that has endured as long as they have is entirely lacking in virtue of some sort. If we can appropriate some of their talent towards our own ends, we should consider it. I'm sure SOME of them are dissatisfied with the slaver status quo.

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 5, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

B

megane
Jun 20, 2008

B.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

B.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Grizzwold posted:

On the one hand, driving the remaining Ayleids to extinction doesn't sound too great from a 21st century perspective. On the other hand, elves are bastards. B

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'm gonna Behold the predictable results of this vote.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
Always
Be
Ckilling elves.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Duderclese posted:

Always
Be
Ckilling elves.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Clayren posted:

The war thereafter became a stalemate. The forces of both Duke Uril and Nassa Martul were too small to attack the Alten Tormont force directly. But Raj-kaal Brand-Shei was unwilling to engage either force either, fearful that he would lose so many saxhleel in the battle that the other army would be able to swoop in and finish off his victorious, but weakened, force. He was likewise unwilling to begin a lengthy siege which would require him to either split off a force which could live off Stromhold’s limited forage, thereby leaving it vulnerable, or keep the whole force together and see his men begin to die from a lack of sustenance.

With the situation in stasis for the moment, Dithis was recalled with most of his forces to deal with an uprising of Kothringi tribesmen. A small detachment was left behind, commanded by Sikaaswulm, to monitor Brand-Shei’s army near Stormhold. One night his forces were discovered and attacked. Some were able to retreat, but the consort was felled in combat against the brother of Brand-Shei.

well this all seems fine and above-board, i have no follow-up questions

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 5, 2023

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i think that in the fiction, mer who change their philosophy, religion, or way of life, experience physical changes as well, so any ayleids who en masse chose to not live like ayleids would cease to be ayleids and become some other color of swamp-elf. this happened to the dunmer and also its possibly the origin of the orsimer and dwemer.

i assume the mod doesn't include stuff like that, but still, i'd rather see the ayleids humiliated, made to endure a wrenching transition from a slave-based economy*, and forced to convert and eternally repent of the sins of their ancestors than exterminated. A

*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ix0_W-ouI

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

i think that in the fiction, mer who change their philosophy, religion, or way of life, experience physical changes as well, so any ayleids who en masse chose to not live like ayleids would cease to be ayleids and become some other color of swamp-elf. this happened to the dunmer and also its possibly the origin of the orsimer and dwemer.

i assume the mod doesn't include stuff like that, but still, i'd rather see the ayleids humiliated, made to endure a wrenching transition from a slave-based economy*, and forced to convert and eternally repent of the sins of their ancestors than exterminated. A

*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ix0_W-ouI

In the case of the orcs and dunmer it was a specific event that did that though (namely some jerk Daedra cursing their entire race), not so much a natural process. In the case of the Dwemer I don't even think they were physically that different from the standard elf, they just had a wildly divergent sense of fashion. I dont think these Swamp Ayleids rate high enough to get that level of divine attention, I think they're just squatting here in little Colonel Kurtz garbage kingdoms who've spent the last thousand years just farting about with slavery and human sacrifice and swearing they'll properly prosecute the War of Mannish Aggression any day now, just you wait.

They're a society of colonizer losers deemed too insufferable for the Cyrodiil Ayleids, who were themselves huge colonizer losers. gently caress 'em, they've had more than enough time to learn not to be jackasses and I'm not sure what they'll contribute other than a sense of racial superiority that we already get plenty of from their distant cousins up north.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

They're a society of colonizer losers deemed too insufferable for the Cyrodiil Ayleids, who were themselves huge colonizer losers. gently caress 'em, they've had more than enough time to learn not to be jackasses and I'm not sure what they'll contribute other than a sense of racial superiority that we already get plenty of from their distant cousins up north.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK2D85yMPK8

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
[b]B[/]

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

Duderclese posted:

Always
Be
Ckilling elves.

Not an empty quote.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

In the case of the orcs and dunmer it was a specific event that did that though (namely some jerk Daedra cursing their entire race), not so much a natural process. In the case of the Dwemer I don't even think they were physically that different from the standard elf, they just had a wildly divergent sense of fashion. I dont think these Swamp Ayleids rate high enough to get that level of divine attention, I think they're just squatting here in little Colonel Kurtz garbage kingdoms who've spent the last thousand years just farting about with slavery and human sacrifice and swearing they'll properly prosecute the War of Mannish Aggression any day now, just you wait.

The ancestors of the Dunmer were the Chimer, or "changed ones" who are said to have been a duller shade of gold skin than their Altmer ancestors. Whether this was caused by their decision to follow the prophet Veloth and worship (some) daedra, or just a middle step in a gradual transformation which began after they moved to Morrowind is an interesting question. In a world with magic you are tempted to choose the more mystical answer, but hey maybe living in a volcanic wasteland built atop the heart of a dead god can change a gene or two over a few thousand years.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Elves usually deserve to Be oppressed and this is no exception

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I seem to remember some in-game book in Morrowind which implied the darkening was a curse from one of the gods for worshipping the wrong daedra?

This was also many years and beers ago, so take that with a big grain of saltrice.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Duderclese posted:

I seem to remember some in-game book in Morrowind which implied the darkening was a curse from one of the gods for worshipping the wrong daedra?

This was also many years and beers ago, so take that with a big grain of saltrice.

P sure that was because Vivec broke his promise to Azura to not use Kagrenac's tools to become a god, betraying Nerevar in the process

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

plaintiff posted:

P sure that was because Vivec broke his promise to Azura to not use Kagrenac's tools to become a god, betraying Nerevar in the process

Yes! This! Thanks for validating my 15 year old brain and 28 year old memories. Lol.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Clayren posted:

The ancestors of the Dunmer were the Chimer, or "changed ones" who are said to have been a duller shade of gold skin than their Altmer ancestors. Whether this was caused by their decision to follow the prophet Veloth and worship (some) daedra, or just a middle step in a gradual transformation which began after they moved to Morrowind is an interesting question. In a world with magic you are tempted to choose the more mystical answer, but hey maybe living in a volcanic wasteland built atop the heart of a dead god can change a gene or two over a few thousand years.

It might just be the ash everywhere making everything grimy and the ancient Chimer not bathing often enough

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

B

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

The Many Husbands of Martul Rantee (2E 453 - 2E 464)

In the 13th year of her reign Raj-nassa Martul of Stormhold found herself a widow, following the unfortunate death of her first husband Sikaaswulm in battle against the Raj-kaal of Alten Tormont. Nearly past the age of egg-laying, Martul was in need of a talented match who could help her manage the realm and the growing sap-speaker school of the Amber Path. This was found in the aged sap-speaker Haxikath of Murkwater. Haxikath had been one of many speakers who had fled Mazzatun following the death of Martul’s father. But while most speakers had returned following her reclamation of the throne, he had continued his travels throughout Nibenay, learning from the learned men of a dozen courts. When a summons to the court of Martul arrived in Blueblood he packed his tomes up and returned.

The new consort made an immediate impression upon the court in Stormhold. Throughout his travels in Cyrodiil Haxikath had advised numerous lords and ladies, often as a language tutor or court alchemist. A chaste and serious Saxhleel, his only luxury was books, which he frequently sold to other scholars when he had finished them. Due to these factors he had a small private fortune which he spent on a large surprise feast for his new bride.

This alone would have endeared the scholar to the court, but midway through the feast he led the party into the courtyard to reveal his gift to Martul. There the party found a small army of lizard breeders doing their best to manage a growling crowd of tusks, teeth and spikes. With the majority of his funds Haxikath purchased 100 fine war kagouti , to serve as mounts for the reel-ka of Stormhold.

Haxikath soon set about teaching and engaging sap-speakers from throughout the region in discussion and debate. The Amber path movement, somewhat muted since the loss of Kaal Suka-Tel, was revitalized and speakers took to sermonizing on street corners in Stormhold, full of doctrinal fire. The twin sons of Martul were especially impressed by these speeches and frequently spent time listening to them.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/4sLOPwL.jpg/[img]

In 456 the forces of Raj-kaal Brand-Shei of Alten Tormont pillaged their way through Stormhold. The forces of Martul attempted to drive them off, but were defeated and driven from the realm’s capital. In the ensuing ransack of Stormhold Brand-Shei captured Martul’s only daughter and earned himself an enemy for life.

Seeking to refill her coffers after the pillaging of most of her counties, the raj-kaal declared war on the Kothringi tribe of Sul that same year.

The Kothringi chieftain Urith proved a capable commander, however, and rallied his warriors to defend their homeland. The first battle of the war went poorly, as sellswords hired by Urith led a furious charge into the flank of the Saxhleel army. News of the defeat spread quickly and the ambitious Kaal Mahei of Atanaz declared his own war upon Martul. A reactionary zealot, Mahei was a Saxhleel who still practiced the ancient Sithis worship, or Ixtaxh-thtithil-meht. When his messenger arrived in the court of Martul he declared that his lord “challenged her to a flower war, so that Sithis might be furnished with sacrifices to slake his bloodthirst.” The messenger was laughed out of Stormhold as a lunatic.

Raj-kaal Martul, in what would ultimately prove a disastrous decision, pursued her vengeance against Brand-Shei during both conflicts. In Thitithil of 457 she comes close to killing him, but fails and her plot is revealed.

After 5 years of loyal service to the realm and his lady, the sap-speaker Haxikath passed away at the age of 69. Raj-kaal Martul was remarried to a talented, yet lowborn, commander in the Greenglade Shellbacks. Besides gaining a valuable commander, the marriage also netted the Raj-kaal a discounted contract for the company’s services. They arrived for the wedding, but stayed for the wars.

With the aid of the Greenglade Shellbacks and her new husband’s commandership the wars with the Kothringi and Sithis worshippers were concluded with no gain, but also no loss. Recognizing her significant lack of military power, Martul sought an alliance with the famously talented Kaal Veezara of Omavel. Her eldest son Ukawei was wed in 459 to a daughter of the military genius who had yet to be granted a name by the Hist. It was a prudent move, but not prudent enough.

In late 459 Raj-kaal Brand-Shei secured an alliance with the powerful king of Thorn. King Madesi the Great was a widely admired figure in Northern Black Marsh for his victory over the armies of the hated House Dres in the Campaign of Southern Reclamation. His support of Brand-Shei was part of an effort to create a united front all along the border with Morrowind which could ward off any expansionary ambitions among the great houses. The arbitrary and vengeful Brand-Shei, however, simply despised Raj-kaal Martul for her attempt on his life. He declared a war to subjugate Stormhold in 460, with the backing of King Madesi and a great many Nisswo from throughout Northern Black Marsh.

These priests of Raj-Sithis viewed the growing Amber Way movement as dangerously prone to shunatei, the feelings of loss, grief, anger and pain associated with clinging to the past. For these priests the only path to happiness was a complete acceptance of impermanence. The most aesetic of the Nisswo were so dedicated to the temporary that they slept in holes which they dug in the mud every night and wore no clothing. Sap speakers of the Amber Way saw this hyper-fixation on the present as itself a sort of shunatei, a denial of the past and future so intense that it made the present an intense suffering.

The Shadowfen Subjugation War, as it came to be known, was a result of Madesi the Great’s ambitions for a great northern coalition, Brand-Shei’s desire to punish his foe and the growing hostility between the Amber Way and the Nisswo orders of Black Marsh.

Wuja-Lei led his combined forces on a rapid march east, knowing that his only hope to overcome his enemy’s significant numerical advantage was to wipe out Brand-Shei’s forces and capture his court before Madesi the Great’s army arrived. On the 19th of Shaja-Nushmeeko he succeeded in the first step, using his kagouti riders to roll up the right flank of the Alton-Tormont line in a battle near Nielsol. But Madesi was a brilliant organizer and arrived in time to engage the Stormhold army outside Bogmother in mid-Xulomaht. In the ensuing battle Wuja-Lei was gored in the side by a charging kagouti, rendering his left arm a dangling mass of skin, torn ligaments and shattered bone which ultimately had to be amputated. Worse, his ribcage was broken in numerous places, which ultimately led to his death in a hastily pitched medical tent in Reticulated Spine following the retreat of his army.

Ukawei Rantee, heir of the realm, took command of the force after the passage of Wuja-Lei. But before he could break camp and continue on to Stormhold the army of Madesi arrived in force, led by commander Naheesh Amusei. Ukawei sought to engage the larger force in a lengthy skirmish to give his men time to fall back, but Naheesh’s pikemen frontline charged through a hail of spears and arrows, slaughtering the skirmisher line along with Ukawei.

With her eldest son and consort both dead and her army whittled down to nothing, the Raj-kaal of Stormhold knew that she had no avenue left for victory. On the 12th day of Dooka, 2E 461, she surrendered to Raj-kaal Beem-Ja, the son of the now departed Brand-Shei.

With the addition of Stormhold Beem-Ja was able to make a reputable claim to the whole of Shadowfen. He declared himself king in 461. Ignoring the demands of the Nisswo, King Beem-Ja reinstated Martul as Raj-kaal of Stormhold, recognizing that to do otherwise would invite endless internal strife in his new kingdom from house Rantee and the followers of the Amber Path. Placated, momentarily, his new vassal remarried yet again, this time to a talented merchant and veteran of the Campaign of Southern Reclamation. It had been hoped that Jee of Gideon would help refill Stormhold’s coffers, in preparation for a future struggle to regain independence.

But while Beem-Ja was not willing to start a civil war by prying Stormhold from the hands of the Rantee dynasty, he did desire revenge for the attempt upon his father’s life. In 462 Martul was arrested for the attempt upon Brand-Shei’s life. In exchange for her release the Raj-kaal of Stormhold was forced to abdicate after 22 years of rulership. Having seen her father’s religious movement through its most perilous days, she would remain a trusted advisor and supporter of her son Kankeeus, the new Raj-Kaal of Stormhold.

A scheming and ambitious young Saxhleel, Kankeeus had nonetheless been devotedly loyal to his twin brother Ukawei and had expected to serve him as a capable spymaster once the elder twin took the throne. Ukawei’s death in battle had hit Kankeeus hard and the new Raj-kaal held a grudge against House Su-Zahleel. Moving against his liege-lord was not possible for Kankeeus at the start of his reign, but smaller targets were. In Hist-Tsoko 462 he declared war on the Kothringi tribe of Sul. In response the Kothringi marched north, hoping to attack Stormhold before Kankeeus finished marshaling his forces. It was a fatal mistake, the Nede army was crushed and posed no threat for the remainder of the short conflict. The clan hall of Sul fell in Sisei of 464 and the Kothringi were forced to swear fealty to Stormhold.

Martul had dressed quickly, taking care to strap her dagger to the belt which closed her simple robe. When the messenger had awoken her late at night to summon her to her son’s side a million fears had besieged her mind. Was he on his deathbed, fallen prey to an assassin’s poison? Had the king at last given in to the Nisswo and sent a letter demanding Kankeeus abandon the Amber Path, threatening a war they were not prepared for? How many more of her children would she have to bury in her life?

When she entered the council room she found her son surrounded by whispering courtiers. She was struck, as always, at how much he resembled his late father. His green scales and straight horns were undoubtedly from Sikaaswulm, but the hints of copper on his neck and the amber of his eyes were hers. So too was the cold cunning she now saw in them. “My lord,” she asked, “what news?” He broke into a grin “War, mother. House Dres marches to war and we shall take full advantage.”

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Clayren posted:

“War, mother. House Dres marches to war and we shall take full advantage.”

Sometimes I wonder if the only reason House Dres stays in business is that they make an ideal anvil upon which the various factions of Black Marsh can hammer each other.

Well no matter, if Madesi the Great wanted his united front against Morrowind, he shouldn't have done so much to make enemies. And if Beem-Ja so fears loss and impermanence, he shouldn't hold on to his kingsom so tightly.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

Sometimes I wonder if the only reason House Dres stays in business is that they make an ideal anvil upon which the various factions of Black Marsh can hammer each other.

Well no matter, if Madesi the Great wanted his united front against Morrowind, he shouldn't have done so much to make enemies. And if Beem-Ja so fears loss and impermanence, he shouldn't hold on to his kingsom so tightly.

The ideological foundations of modern Argonian thought make creating stable states very difficult. In fact if the thread had chose for me to play one of the Hist "faith" starting options I wouldn't be able to feudalize and would be stuck playing tribal the whole game. Meanwhile, the Dunmer live hundreds of years and all start out in 5 big kingdoms. You end up with a lot of very talented leaders who have maxed out several lifestyle skill trees and have at least one big ally, so in this mod the Dunmer expand a lot into Cyrodiil and Black Marsh. Living in the moment is a lot less stressful than worshiping your most back-stabby ancestors, but it's not a good way to defend your borders.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

Clayren posted:

The ideological foundations of modern Argonian thought make creating stable states very difficult. In fact if the thread had chose for me to play one of the Hist "faith" starting options I wouldn't be able to feudalize and would be stuck playing tribal the whole game. Meanwhile, the Dunmer live hundreds of years and all start out in 5 big kingdoms. You end up with a lot of very talented leaders who have maxed out several lifestyle skill trees and have at least one big ally, so in this mod the Dunmer expand a lot into Cyrodiil and Black Marsh. Living in the moment is a lot less stressful than worshiping your most back-stabby ancestors, but it's not a good way to defend your borders.

Can you reform a Hist religion in the mod?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

Livewire42 posted:

Can you reform a Hist religion in the mod?

You can indeed. Here's a quick overview of the Hist faith:

In the Hist "faith" (similar to Taoism in vanilla CK3, it's treated like a faith for gameplay purposes but really isn't one) there are three main tenets: Ku-Vastei, Reincarnation and Sacred Childbirth. It is a monolatrian faith (one god) which worships the hist and focuses on the aspect of control, which makes it easier for rulers to increase control in counties. All faiths in Elder Kings 2 have an attitude towards Lorkhan, the missing god. Altmer, Bosmer and Breton faiths mostly have a hostile attitude and characters of those faiths will have an opinion malus against any character that worships Lorkhan. The Khajiit, Argonian and Dunmer faiths are mostly neutral, which means no effect. They can't worship Lorkhan, but don't care if someone else does. The Imperial faith has a waning attitude, you can choose him as your patron deity, but the AI characters are less likely to do so. The Nords, Cyro-Nords and some Nedes have an exalted attitude towards Lorkhan, he's in their pantheon and the AI characters will at times choose him as their patron.

Ku-Vastei is the tenet that would need replacing to allow feudalization. It gives a big bonus against stress, but limits characters to a non-feudal government such as tribal or pirate.

Reincarnation does about what it says. Resistance to conversion and a chance to be recognized as a reincarnation.

Sacred childbirth makes giving birth less dangerous and gives mothers a piety bonus.

The story is currently following characters with the Amber-Hist faith, which has these tenets and doctrines.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
I love this so far! I had lots of fun in my reform-the-faith-and-unite Blackmarsh game, so I'm looking forward to this.

I was confused in my playthrough as to why Amber Plasm didn't seem to do anything, and it looks like it hasn't been updated. Do you know if that tenet has secret effects, or is just a placeholder?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

I love this so far! I had lots of fun in my reform-the-faith-and-unite Blackmarsh game, so I'm looking forward to this.

I was confused in my playthrough as to why Amber Plasm didn't seem to do anything, and it looks like it hasn't been updated. Do you know if that tenet has secret effects, or is just a placeholder?

Glad you're liking it. According to a post on the mod's Discord posted yesterday it is still under construction. I would guess, based on the lore, that it will have positives involving prowess or movement speed, but also make possession or lunatic traits pop up a bit more often.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

The Protector of the Kothringi and the Lady Gray Eyes (2E 464 - 2E 480)

When comes the day,
And morning’s first mist,
I rise from cold clay,
And greet father hist.

Speak, oh brother,
To one so unwise,
How do I recover,
From the lady gray eyes?

Scales of sunset,
Mist colored eyes,
Will you free this captive yet,
Will you hear his heart’s sighs?

Take up my last drake,
For what sip it buys,
My heart again to break,
From the lady gray eyes.

None of it felt right. That was the thought that kept occurring to Kankeeus as he bitterly nursed his second cup of theilul and stared absent-mindedly at the banner which hung over the bar. A pointed ear in gold dripped three perfectly shaped drops of red on a white background, symbols below spelled The Elf’s Ear Inn in Jel. His vision lowered and lingered on the barmaid, a lithe, yet capable specimen with iridescent scales that flashed red and mauve as she moved about her territory. She seemed to be in constant motion, collecting tips, refilling cups, chatting with patrons. But it was not a nervous energy which animated the Hleel, she was grounded in her posture, sure of her next step, her next task. There was a surety in the way she moved, as if the flow of events was, for her, already settled.

A red-brown claw slammed a tankard of mazte down on the bar next to him, breaking the Raj-kaal out of his reverie. Kankeeus turned and saw the grinning face of Ukara, his minister of coin and friend. “See anything you like?” she only half-whispered, slipping easily into the calm and confident demeanor which had won her many suitors in her youth. It was a talent he lacked, having spent his formative years learning to skulk, poison and extract information. Kankeeus was of a deceitful and doubting nature, his brother was the sun to his moon, ever-sure of himself and his future. Now he was gone and the dreams of greatness they had shared seemed close, yet-

“It doesn’t feel right, Ukara. None of it.” He moaned, taking a sulking sip of his sugar wine. She tilted her head in interest, but waited patiently for the lord to explain. “The war with Dres is here. I knew it would come, sooner or later, so I planned, right? We’ll march south, while those bastards in house Su-Zahleel are distracted, and place the men and mer under Stormhold overlordship. By the time Beem-Ja notices it’ll be too late, I’ll have the funds and levies I need to stand up to him. All sounds good so far, right?”

Ukara nodded thoughtfully, but said nothing. He knew she was doing this to urge him to keep talking/ A thoughtful gesture, but it annoyed him. Kankeeus drained his cup and put it down “But it shouldn’t be me doing it, d’you see? I always thought-I hoped that I’d do big things. But Ukawei, he-!” he stopped, took a breath and continued calmly “He was the one who was certain, he was sure of the ultimate victory of the Path. I am not, I can see a thousand ways things could go wrong and it gets to me.” Ukara gave him a sympathetic look and gestured to the tavern “Alright, but why are you here? This is the third night in a row you have been at this specific tavern and while Stormhold isn’t exactly Gideon it has better spots for a noble to drink than The Elf’s Ear.”

Kankeeus sighed and gestured for another cup of theilul “It’s Neesha, again.” Ukara had expected as much. The daughter of a minor noble in Thorn, her marriage to Kankeeus had been an act of desperation by his mother during the recent spate of warfare which had led to her being deposed. The alliance with her father had provided a thousand Hleel warriors to aid Raj-nassa Martul, but they had not been anywhere near enough against the forces of Madesi the Great. Now the realm was saddled with a Raj-nassa who openly feuded with her lord husband and took every opportunity she could to undermine the sap speakers of the Amber Path. It was no secret that she was an arch-conservative and had entered into a marriage with a “deviant” against her will.

Ukara took a drink of her saltrice beer, before letting a slight grin touch her face “My lord you are as clever as ever. You answered only half of my question, avoiding the obvious topic without having to tell a lie. Very well, if you do not wish to speak on it aloud then simply let me make an introduction.” Kankeeus moved as if to speak, but seemed to think better of it.

Two events of note occurred in the region of Stormhold in 465 of the Second Era. The first was a minor war which would come to define relations between the Raj-kaal and the Nedic tribes of Blackmarsh in the decades which followed. In a proclamation made near the start of the year Raj-kaal Kankeeus declared the Kothringi tribes “beloved guests of the Hist” and made it clear that he intended to be their “benefactor”. The flowery language was a thinly veiled declaration of war on Nedic independence. The slaughter of outpost garrisons along the border of Arx Corinium by rapidly advancing kagouti riders did away with the veil entirely. By midyear of 466 the old imperial fort had fallen, following an inconsequential battle with the tribe’s warriors, and an unambitious tribesman was placed in charge. The tribe soon returned to repairing the crumbling fort and tending their saltrice fields, the only real change to the rhythms of life being where their taxes went.

The second event, which would come to have great importance to the future of the Rantee dynasty, was the arrival of Kud-Mere Wihju to the court of Stormhold. A daughter of a nearly extinct noble house, she had traveled to Stormhold after her father’s death in battle as a Reel-Ka in service to Madesi the Great. From her father’s years of service Kud-Mere had little to show, for the saxhleel was infamous for his gambling and drinking in life. With what few drakes she had to her name, Kud-Mere purchased a run down tavern in Stormhold and ran it for a few years before catching the eye of the Raj-kaal. A poor business woman, Kud-Mere had nonetheless made the Elf’s Ear (named for its proximity to the Ayleid ruins which sat in the middle of the city) into a successful venture on the sheer force of her personality and her famed beauty. The song “Lady Gray Eyes”, a bardic standard in Black marsh, was possibly inspired by the former tavern owner. She was also a talented military thinker, which was the reason given for her invitation to the court of Stormhold.

Whether because of her beauty or talent, Kud-Mere joined the court and was soon a valued advisor to Raj-kaal Kankeeus. Just how valuable was only revealed in Thtithil of 466, when Kud-Mere laid an egg out of wedlock. Kankeeus, to the fury of his wife Neesha, openly admitted that the bastard was his.

As soon as the bastard was hatched he took it and it’s mother on a trip to visit the Kothringi tribes of southern Stormhold, likely to protect them from the anger of Raj-nassa Neesha. In the lord’s absence she more openly schemed with nisswo, who plied her with gifts from throughout Black Marsh. Her scheming was cut short, however, as she began to experience poor health a month after Kankeeus’ departure.

Her health might have improved, but for a strange incident in 467. A fair celebrated in Stormhold near the end of 466 drew merchants and performers from far away. One wine merchant, a Bosmer from the city of [url=[img]https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Haven]Haven[/url], sold a selection of wines from Summerset and Nibenay. By some chance of ill fortune a golden whisper, a spider native only to Summerset, found its way into the city via a wine crate and then into the cellar of Stormhold castle.

Saxhleel are famously immune to every form of poison or disease native to Black Marsh and most found elsewhere in Tamriel. But the golden whisper is uniquely deadly to Argonians due to its specialized venom, which in the wild is used to kill fish. The venom confuses the bodies of lungfish to use their gills when on land and their lungs when under water, which quickly kills the fish via drowning or suffocation. In most sentient races the venom has no effect, but the Saxhleel are like lungfish in that they can breathe both air and water, so the venom can kill them in the same way. This chain of unlikely events is how, most historians believe, the Raj-nassa of Stormhold died.

The Raj-kaal hurried back to Stormhold to prepare the funeral for his wife. Her grave-stake was carved and painted by a master artisan and a day of mourning declared throughout the realm. After an appropriate length of time passed Kankeeus announced his marriage to Kud-Mere and the realm celebrated like never before.

There were some among the court who objected to the marriage. Some argued that Kud-Mere, despite her noble lineage, was little more than a pretty tavern wench and unfit for the responsibilities of a Raj-nassa. Others argued that the mourning period for Neesha had been too short. A small number of her favorites were still among the courtiers and they questioned the strange circumstances surrounding her death. All were quickly silenced, however, for the Raj-kaal was a master of navigating court politics.

During the year spent among the Kothringi tribes both in and outside of his realm the Raj-kaal spoke at length with the warriors and tribal nobility about his intentions as self-declared guardian of the Nedes. Most were skeptical, but Kud-Mere had some success in finding common ground with the men on the topic of the Ayleids of Loriasel. While relations between Nedes and saxhleel had ebbed and flowed for generations, relations between the Ayleids and their neighbors had been uniformly hostile since their arrival in the region. Barsaebic Ayleids frequently engaged in slave trading and necromancy, practices deeply offensive to both human and saxhleel cultures. Tentative pledges of friendship were made contingent on the Raj-kaal eliminating the elven problem once and for all.

The opportunity to make good on his new bride’s promises came in 467, when the Kingdom of Rockpoint declared a war of conquest upon Loriasel. Sensing an opportunity, Kankeeus declared his own war, citing a number of border raids by the elves in previous years as justification.

On paper the forces of Loriasel outnumbered those of Stormhold, but the elves are a fickle lot and most have little sense of loyalty. Molthoril of Murkwater was a Barsaebic sellsword who had made a name for himself serving in conflicts from Elsweyr to Leyawiin. His mercenary company, a mixture of Ayleid warmages and Yespest spearmen, were happy to go to war with the elves for the right price. The sinews of war are drakes, but it has been noted by many historians that the Raj-kaal was unusually fond of spending gold, often on frivolous purchases. This reputation endeared him to sellswords, who are a famously garish and spendy lot, so long as he paid them on time.

The war went well for Kankeeus, the elves spent their strength driving off the army of Rockpoint and were ill-prepared to defend against the rapid advance of Molthoril and the army of Stormhold. A series of modest sieges ensued, with no battles of import with the Barsaebic forces. But the leisurely pace of the conflict was upset by news from Stormhold.

The war between House Dres and the allied forces of Madesi the Great and Beem-Ja of Shadowfen was nearing an end by Vakka of 468. Beem-Ja, confident of Madesi’s support and his own popularity, sent a letter demanding the abandonment of “un-Ku-Vastei Thought” among the nobility and commoners of Stormhold. The Raj-kaal was instructed to banish all current sap-speakers in the realm and await his lord’s replacements.

Raj-kaal Kankeeus replied with a flood of requests for clarification on the exact issues the king had. Every response was met with more stalling and obfuscation. Nearly two years passed without King Beem-Ja taking action, possibly because his army was not fully recovered from the war with Dres. Kankeeus, meanwhile, concluded a peace with Loriasel which granted him most of the elven lands in Black Marsh and a sizable amount of plunder. Both proved necessary for financing the war plans drawn up by Raj-nassa Kud-Mere and her mother-in-law Martul.

Sisei of 469 was when Beem-Ja at last made his move, declaring war upon his vassal over his right to revoke the Leel of Stormhold. The war which ensued was a long series of skirmishes, sieges and feints from both sides. Beem-Ja had counted on the assistance of his brother in arms Madesi the Great, but the King of Thorn was distracted by a conflict with Riverwalk and considered the conflict in Shadowfen an internal matter. The army of Beem-Ja was therefore only slightly larger than that of Kankeeus. But Beem-Ja was a masterful commander and strategist and likely would have delivered a deathblow to the Stormhold army in combat. So Kankeeus kept his forces back, nipping at his lord’s heels but never falling into a full engagement.

A veteran commander well-used to the harsh conditions of campaign, few would have expected Beem-Ja to fall ill. But in 471 King Beem-Ja, who had united Shadowfen under his rule and fought side-by-side with Madesi the Great, died of an unknown sickness in his command tent, gasping for breath. His daughter Omeeta succeeded him and, though no less conservative than her father, she was not his equal as a commander. Soon the occupied forts taken by Beem-Ja were retaken by Kankeeus and the war ended in a white peace.

With the conflict between House Rantee and House Su-Zahleel on hold, at least temporarily, the lord of Stormhold was able to focus his attention on the newly gained lands of Loriasel. In accordance with his promises to the Kothringi and the general opinion of his councilors a number of policies were introduced to encourage the Barsaebics to leave the land which had been their adoptive home for many generations. Modest payments were offered to landholders for their farms, along with cheap passage to Summerset, Valenwood and Balfiera. Those who chose to stay found their taxes increased and were buffeted by a flurry of minor fines and license fees. The new lords of Loriasel, many of them former warriors in the Stormhold army, took little interest in reports of theft or assault against elves by their Korthringi and Saxhleel neighbors. The ultimate effect was a slow but steady trickle of elves out of Murkwood.

Despite his success in war and at court, the Raj-kaal was known to fall into extreme bouts of melancholy. When this happened he would engage in spending sprees, purchasing fine cloaks and jewelry to distract himself from the stress of office. The lady Kud-Mere was the only one in court who seemed able to reel the lord in and get him stable again when these bouts would take him.

These periods became more frequent with age and all manner of outlandish rumors were spread by his enemies. It was whispered that he had killed the previous king through dishonorable means, that he ate elves and gifted their mummified ears to his wife. No proof was ever offered, but the raj’s strange behavior alone was often all the evidence necessary.

Whatever his proclivities, Kankeeus was a cunning and effective lord and a dangerous enemy. Queen Omeeta worried about his growing power like her father before her, but saw no advantage in open conflict in the early years of her reign. She instead tried to limit her vassal by increasing his taxes and inviting him to stay at her court as a councilor.

The invitation to join his liege’s court was politely declined. While the raj upheld the bare minimum of his responsibilities to Queen Omeeta, it was clear that Stormhold was increasingly acting as a wholly independent realm. Kankeeus increasingly consolidated his power among the Kothringi, vassalizing some peacefully and others in brief conflicts. By 476 he had built a powerbase which posed a direct threat to the Su-Zahleel hold on the Kingdom of Shadowfen.

Seeing no other choice, Omeeta demanded the revocation of the Ataleel of Stormhold in 477, knowing that it would be refused and lead to war. Molthoril and his Murkwater band were hired once more to bolster Stormhold’s army against that of Shadowfen, led by Omeeta’s son Iaza. Iaza was a talented commander who took after his grandfather Beem-Ja, but young and inexperienced. The veteran Molthoril made use of his warmages to harry the forces of Iaza again and again, keeping him from uniting his two armies and achieving numerical superiority. Following a string of defeats over three years and the capture of Iaza the queen was forced to come to terms.

The young king inherited a realm which had, since its founding, been engaged in a long series of civil wars between the ruling dynasty and their most powerful vassal. It had cost his grandfather his life and his mother her throne and Iaza had no idea how to end this state of affairs. But from his court in Stormhold Raj-kaal Kankeeus Rantee knew exactly how to draw the conflict to a close.

Clayren fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 16, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When in doubt, throw a spider at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
For a race immune to poison that's two prominent argonians taken out by the same outland spider.

Sure there won't be any repercussions from that. No sir.