Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jelly posted:

Yeah, I just don't forget really presidential takes like, "What if its the Democrats who are actually gerrymandering everything?" I'm going to bring this up every single time you post because you're that stupid.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016730&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=27

Pretty damning stuff OP. What do you have to say for yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Testikles posted:

Nobody will agree on who did it and whether it actually happened
This cannot be stated clearly enough

If Biden is in office Republicans will immediately start impeachment hearings; if a Republican is in office Republicans will immediately demand Biden be hanged for treason for not warning this would happen

That is the part of the flowchart for if it happens somewhere with lots of Republicans I guess. If San Francisco got nuked I promise you 25%+ of Republicans would say it was a great day or that an angry drag queen had done it as a false flag or something else equally incomprehensible

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Pretty damning stuff OP. What do you have to say for yourself?

im gay and have a little dick

oh yeah im also a virgin

e: forgot thats a no no word sorry

pencilhands fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 24, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Biden doesn't seem to golf, Trump doesn't seem to like people filming him while he golfs, and DeSantis is only tall enough for mini-golf, so we will certainly be deprived of another "Now watch this drive!" moment.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

pencilhands posted:

oh yeah im also a virgin

That may well be true but that's not what you've been accused of.

Anyway if another 9/11 level terrorist attack happens in America it will destroy the nation psychologically in a way that it will never recover from. I won't even try to imagine what would happen after because whatever I come up with won't be as stupid or mean as what actually happens.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I don't know what weapon will be used in the next 9/11, but the 9/11 after that will be done with sticks and stones.

Just a bunch of dudes swinging sticks and throwing stones in a Nordstrom's in Nebraska.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it will be a mass poisoning op, that's the next big one

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“Here are 7 viral TikTok dances to help raise awareness of 9/11 2.”

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
a gamewide moment of silence in fortnite which ends up as the first thing millions of children grow up to remember when they think of where they were on 9/11 2

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Hopefully I'll be one of the victims so I won't have to deal with all the ensuing bullshit

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

John Cena will return to RAW to unite the nation and remind us that we got Bin Laden and we're gonna get this guy too, whoever it is

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

pencilhands posted:

oh yeah im also a virgin

Same

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
It would be terrible and tragic for like a week and then trump would say something outrageous like "Biden nuked that town" a million times, then all of right wing media would start saying it, then the enlightened centrists would flood us with "did Biden nuke that town??" fact checks, then loving everybody who should know better will start talking nonstop about how outrageous it is, then the controversy over the outrageousness of the lie would get talked about more than the nuking of the actual town. From then on any mention of the town being nuked will be a social faux pas, why are you getting political? Then there will be 5 huge school shootings on one day, nothing will change, and everything will continue to get worse for the rest of your life

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

When 9/11 gets doubled, it will mean it happens on month 18 of 22. Which will be May, this year. Probably shouldn't plan any cookouts then.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Patriot Act 2.0

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i like lana del rey

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

oops, is this the confession thread

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Anyway if another 9/11 level terrorist attack happens in America it will destroy the nation psychologically in a way that it will never recover from. I won't even try to imagine what would happen after because whatever I come up with won't be as stupid or mean as what actually happens.

In all seriousness, this.

9/11 rammed down on every mental weak point so many Americans had: This Doesn't Happen Here, THOSE PEOPLE Can't Harm Us/Have No Right To Harm Us, and I suspect subconsciously in a lot more people that we think, This Is The Chickens Coming Home To Roost. Then after several decades of supposed increasing paranoia and stripping of rights in the name of supposed security, it happens AGAIN? With a nuclear weapon used for the first time on a live target since the Japanese?

First of all, there would almost certainly and very swiftly be all sorts of innocents being murdered, if not outright lynched, if they have anything to do with Middle Eastern and/or Asian people, including being one; even if it was done by white nationalists, that will likely still keep happening. If it WAS someone in the Middle East, I suspect the nuclear taboo being broken would result in the USA turning it into a seething glass parking lot. I suspect if more 'rational' people were in charge, the next elections would send them flying out in exchange for lunatics who would be promising blood, because most of the nation would be howling for it, I suspect: nothing like fresh horror to sweep away lessons learned. And hell, it wouldn't surprise me if the USA then turned isolationist again, turning inward to 'clean' itself, which of course would probably be more stuff in the vein of ethnic cleansing and misplaced revenge killing than actually going after whoever actually did it if it was domestic.

That's the most cynical assessment I can make. I really can't estimate the stupidity because that has proven to be beyond estimation in every aspect. If you told people in 2001 that 9/11 would lead to a man called Barack Hussein Obama becoming President in less than a decade and then after that Donald Trump would be President and do such a bad job he would make half the nation doubt a deadly virus existed even as they died en masse by it, they'd be calling the men in white coats.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

In all seriousness, this.

9/11 rammed down on every mental weak point so many Americans had: This Doesn't Happen Here, THOSE PEOPLE Can't Harm Us/Have No Right To Harm Us, and I suspect subconsciously in a lot more people that we think, This Is The Chickens Coming Home To Roost. Then after several decades of supposed increasing paranoia and stripping of rights in the name of supposed security, it happens AGAIN? With a nuclear weapon used for the first time on a live target since the Japanese?
In terms of obliterating the assumed truths of modern America for many people, Jan 6 was definitely up there, literally a violent attempted coup announced and executed in public and filmed in totality from ten-thousand different cameras, nearly successful, the planners too powerful to be punished. The reality of it was so alien to the American mind that the professional classes have collectively agreed to pretend that it didn't happen and carry on as usual until the coup planners try again in a few years. 9/11 may have been much the same if the imagery weren't so spectacular or the plotters closer to home

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I was just thinking about this today; we may think of discrete events like 9/11 or the assassination of Franz Ferdinand as triggers for severe social upheaval, but the tensions that led to those events were already building long before they actually occurred. It's just easier to label them as reference points when looking back. And we've certainly got a whole hell of a lot of tension embedded in our society right now.

I cracked open British historian CV Wedgwood's book on the 30 Years' War tonight, and she starts off making the point that in societies before mass media, it wasn't even always clear to the people involved when they had passed a point of no return. This passage in the first chapter stuck out:

quote:

May 23rd 1618 was the date of the revolt in Prague; it is the date traditionally assigned to the outbreak of the Thirty Years War. But it was not clear until seventeen months later, even to the leading men in the countries most deeply concerned, that this revolt rather than any other incident in that stormy time had lighted the fire. During the intervening months the affairs of Bohemia became slowly identified with the problems of the European situation. That situation itself brought forth the war.

Even in WWII and WWI, there was mass media in place to inform everyone that some intolerable act had taken place and we were now at war. Even with mass media more widespread and embedded in everyone's consciousness than ever, I kind of wonder if we might still be able to miss the points of no return. The attacks on power substations recently were the sort of indirect mass violence/terrorism I'd been fearing for a long time, even if the one in Washington turned out to be a couple of tweakers who didn't really know what they were doing. Will those stand out in retrospect as when those tactics became acceptable to violent supremacists?

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Aramis posted:

You got a point in the sense that COVID was/is way worse in every measurable way.

Over a million Americans have died from it and the morons that thinks it’s a sneak attack by China refuse to wear masks because they impose on their freedoms.

The point that wearing a mask would defeat this evil Chinese attack never occurs to them.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

istewart posted:

I was just thinking about this today; we may think of discrete events like 9/11 or the assassination of Franz Ferdinand as triggers for severe social upheaval, but the tensions that led to those events were already building long before they actually occurred. It's just easier to label them as reference points when looking back. And we've certainly got a whole hell of a lot of tension embedded in our society right now.

I cracked open British historian CV Wedgwood's book on the 30 Years' War tonight, and she starts off making the point that in societies before mass media, it wasn't even always clear to the people involved when they had passed a point of no return. This passage in the first chapter stuck out:

Even in WWII and WWI, there was mass media in place to inform everyone that some intolerable act had taken place and we were now at war. Even with mass media more widespread and embedded in everyone's consciousness than ever, I kind of wonder if we might still be able to miss the points of no return. The attacks on power substations recently were the sort of indirect mass violence/terrorism I'd been fearing for a long time, even if the one in Washington turned out to be a couple of tweakers who didn't really know what they were doing. Will those stand out in retrospect as when those tactics became acceptable to violent supremacists?
I mean as far as a point of no return there was an attempted coup two years ago that never got reconciled

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

9/11 may have been much the same if the imagery weren't so spectacular or the plotters closer to home

Sure but then it wouldn't have been 9/11. What made it the the event that it was the media coverage. It was a foreign enemy striking deep inside America live on the morning news.

Also over 3000 people were murdered in about an hour. As opposed to a few cops and a couple of the stupidest people to have ever lived in an entire afternoon.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

I mean as far as a point of no return there was an attempted coup two years ago that never got reconciled

drone bombing white christians doesnt really have the same ring to it so it will never happen

also the whole thing of the cops being on the side of the MAGAs got conveniently swept under the rug forever so

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.
I don't know what will happen, but I'm excited for the inevitable fan art tributes and memorials!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Extra row of tits posted:

Over a million Americans have died from it and the morons that thinks it’s a sneak attack by China refuse to wear masks because they impose on their freedoms.

The point that wearing a mask would defeat this evil Chinese attack never occurs to them.

their funeral, sometimes literally. The pipeline always goes "I'm not wearing no panties on my face for a cold!!!!" --------> "This covid ain't so bad" --------> "This covid ain't no joke!" -------> calls for prayer or unhinged rants while dying --------> sometimes utterly ridiculous obituaries that go something like "X's soul became too powerful for their body! rest in peace! pot luck at the funeral service!"
It's all so tiring.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Pick one

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
One Drag Queen Ethnostate, please.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

FIX SIGNS posted:

I don't know what will happen, but I'm excited for the inevitable fan art tributes and memorials!

Not to mention the livestreams and cascade of social media. In the days after 9/11 it felt like the (North American) world actually slowed down as much as it could to pause and reflect and mourn, the regular programming interrupted in a way it never had before. These days I don't think it's possible to have the majority of society in the US and Canada socially slow down and get united like that. And not just in the sense of politics, "community", scapegoats, and conspiracy theories.

There are more blathering talking heads today, a majority of whom are barely semi-pro or wholly funded by their own audience, fueled by their egos and narcissism to always make new content and never ever shut up, turn the cameras away from themselves, or even turn them off outright. The cataclysm and revolution will be livestreamed with commentary by an untold number of wannabe Cronkites and Eberts whose primary goals in life weren't of reporting truths of the world or commenting on art, but rather being able to monetize their geek hobbies, fringe-empowered paranoias, and introverted nerd lifestyles to the point where they could disconnect from the world as much as possible, and they will have the eyes and ears of their fans and followers, most of whom had the exact same aspirations to just plug in and tune out anything outside of their comfort zones even when times were so much better by comparison that MAYBE it might not have ever been as good as it was before or could have been, but it was one of many milestones where the next ones after were a new drop in "it's all downhill from here" but we were none the wiser. What was your life and world like right before 9/11 and the War on Terror? Or the Great Recession? How about December 2019 - especially if you hail from Australia?

(Side note: I used to make an effort to be an optimist. Eventually you learn to just get ready for the next punch.)

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
More fascism, OP

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Cyber Bin Laden will hijack and fly the Earth into the Sun. There will be no survivors.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Americans will unite against a common enemy and achieve unity against a common cause that threatens you all

lmao i'm kidding, you're just gonna go batshit crazy again

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
All US operating tech providers will be required to install data harvesting probes funneling all conversations and digitally shared sentiments to some Peter Thiel funded outfit which will in turn and for considerable profit offer governments a bespoke version of ChatGPT as a convenient and conversational crime prediction tool used at a thousand newly installed internal border checkpoints. It will be far more accurate than even phrenology, e-meters or skin tone color charts.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
freedom tendies

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
tucker carlson's confused little face finally does what it's been threatening for years and turns itself completely inside out

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Everything that is currently happening would keep happening, but more Americans would start killing other Americans

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Depending on what ethnicity does it there will be a huge number of hate crimes happening immediately and GOPers will just have a blank expression when asked about it. Then they will hem and haw about it and nothing tangible comes out of it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lewis Black stand up special

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Well I'm proud to be a homosexual, where at least I know I'm gay, and I won't forget the men who died and gave that right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pencilhands posted:

Probably something a little edgier since we already had 9/11, like maybe a terrorist setting off a nuclear device

what do you think would happen to American society?

We'll forget and go further dystopian.