Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

FIX SIGNS posted:

I don't know what will happen, but I'm excited for the inevitable fan art tributes and memorials!

Not to mention the livestreams and cascade of social media. In the days after 9/11 it felt like the (North American) world actually slowed down as much as it could to pause and reflect and mourn, the regular programming interrupted in a way it never had before. These days I don't think it's possible to have the majority of society in the US and Canada socially slow down and get united like that. And not just in the sense of politics, "community", scapegoats, and conspiracy theories.

There are more blathering talking heads today, a majority of whom are barely semi-pro or wholly funded by their own audience, fueled by their egos and narcissism to always make new content and never ever shut up, turn the cameras away from themselves, or even turn them off outright. The cataclysm and revolution will be livestreamed with commentary by an untold number of wannabe Cronkites and Eberts whose primary goals in life weren't of reporting truths of the world or commenting on art, but rather being able to monetize their geek hobbies, fringe-empowered paranoias, and introverted nerd lifestyles to the point where they could disconnect from the world as much as possible, and they will have the eyes and ears of their fans and followers, most of whom had the exact same aspirations to just plug in and tune out anything outside of their comfort zones even when times were so much better by comparison that MAYBE it might not have ever been as good as it was before or could have been, but it was one of many milestones where the next ones after were a new drop in "it's all downhill from here" but we were none the wiser. What was your life and world like right before 9/11 and the War on Terror? Or the Great Recession? How about December 2019 - especially if you hail from Australia?

(Side note: I used to make an effort to be an optimist. Eventually you learn to just get ready for the next punch.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU