Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hm, I might actually have bits of time to join and try to help with some less USA-centric questions (as an Eurogoon) :v: I like a good pub quiz so hell yeah let's do this.

The ad works btw, this is the first time I've heard of something like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

Kikas posted:

Hm, I might actually have bits of time to join and try to help with some less USA-centric questions (as an Eurogoon) :v: I like a good pub quiz so hell yeah let's do this.
As a European myself, I'm sorry to say that the questions are almost exclusively US stuff (such is life). But! They are also often so ridiculously difficult that knowledge is almost irrelevant (though a plus nevertheless). The contest has a different vibe from a pub quiz or the like - more "where are we going to find the answer [8 minutes of irc chaos ensues]" instead of "oh hey I know this". The contest is still absolutely :krad: though, so definitely join in if you have the time!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Kikas posted:

Night crew (best crew) will be very glad to have a new brain joining them! While it is more like an online scavenger hunt than a pub quiz, we honestly don't know how much the format or question style will be changing this year as there is a new person in charge.

And sometimes you DO just know something, which is the very best feeling. :kimchi:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Kikas posted:

Hell yeah, welcome to nite crew! A lot of questions are about stuff we get too like movies and music and stuff, it's not all baseball and congress, so we can help too and our team having people from different time zones being awake at different times is a huge deal for our team so eurogoons are good!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Welcome to the mother loving nite crew. We’re the best and also annoying as poo poo.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:siren: Shirt orders close on Wednesday! Submit those orders!

https://forms.gle/UqaUhymtneL6GHe3A

Reminder, through this form you can order the team design (kitten crossbones), the alt design (skeletal goatse), or a sticker of the alt design.

Idk yet if we'll have enough orders for goatse to actually get printed but I'll deliver the final news on Wednesday.

ALSO I WILL ORDER A COUPLE OF EXTRA SHIRTS BECAUSE EVERY YEAR ONE OF YOU FORGETS TO BUY A SHIRT AND THEN I FEEL BAD but I'm only doing a couple and only a couple of sizes so there's no guarantee I can cover you if you don't order now.

If you can't pay in the next few weeks I don't give a gently caress, we'll work it out.

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

my cat is norris posted:

And sometimes you DO just know something, which is the very best feeling. :kimchi:
The quiz time before this last one I almost busted booking it across the house while yelling MAAAKES A GREAT MEALOOOO because there's a Hamburger Helper commercial that lives in my head. Serotonin hits from trivia are powerful.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Busted what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

My ability to type and be spoken to at the same time. MY rear end! MY rear end! I ALMOST TRIPPED AND FELL BECAUSE I AM A GRACEFUL GAZELLE!

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Been doing trivia since the second goon year, always a great weekend where the kids know to leave me the hell alone and let dad do his dumb internet thing.

Also, work seems to make a big deal out of it when I take time off, always asking "Is it a trivia thing?". They get a kick out of it when I ask them decade old questions and their eyes glaze over.

TRIVIA UP GOONS. 45 DAYS AWAY. HOIST THE MAINSAIL AND DROP TROU.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

hey what's up fast eddie

shirt invoices have been sent to your provided email address...if you did NOT receive an invoice demanding payment and blood for your team t-shirts, please reach out as soon as possible. thank you very much!!

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I've been meaning to hop on this with yall for years. I'm generally very good at trivia generally, and the only person to beat me in a bar for "name that tune" was literal matt pinfield. I'll do the second post bit this weekend.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Basic Poster posted:

I've been meaning to hop on this with yall for years. I'm generally very good at trivia generally, and the only person to beat me in a bar for "name that tune" was literal matt pinfield. I'll do the second post bit this weekend.
I'm pretty good at trivia too, and name that tune is by far my best subject - but Trivia 52 is a bit different from all other trivia contests.

It's not good or bad per se, but there's also a whole lot of "know the writer, not the trivia" going on - moreso than any other trivia competition I've been part of.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

There are multiple segments of music identification from small snippets, though! Some are really tough so any expertise there is absolutely welcome.

If you need any help with IRC or anything, holler!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

my cat is norris posted:

There are multiple segments of music identification from small snippets, though! Some are really tough so any expertise there is absolutely welcome.

If you need any help with IRC or anything, holler!

Not to mention the behind the scenes stuff Music Crew does that's actually really helpful to us!

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice
Hell yeah trivia! I'm there for all the foams, Portesi and log cabin banking!

For everyone who has never joined, go join! In the 4 or 5 times I've played I literally had an answer first once, and I still have a blast every year!

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

I did this, I think it might have actually been the first time in 2011, and tapped out after like two hours. But I'm feeling like I want to join up again!

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm pretty good at trivia too, and name that tune is by far my best subject - but Trivia 52 is a bit different from all other trivia contests.

It's not good or bad per se, but there's also a whole lot of "know the writer, not the trivia" going on - moreso than any other trivia competition I've been part of.

Well, I will try to not be a fussy burden and just have fun and try to be useful.

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

It's its own beast, yeah. I guess I can put up a couple questions, they're not official but I'd say these are a little above average difficulty for the contest.

quote:

As a hidden camera captures an actual dungeons and dragons session a wizard claims he cast a spell but the dungeon master disagrees, is surrounded by ogres, complete name of the spell that the wizard claimed to have cast?

Mordenkainen's Faithful Watchdog

On the back of apple jacks cereal there is a cinnamouthful tongue twister. the box says to repeat it 3 times so we ask you do the same.

Miss smith seats siblings in her cinnamon shop (x3)

You're not expected to know them off the top of your head, we have about 5-6 minutes per question to come up with an answer. Open book, open internet, open everything.

Blackajack fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 5, 2023

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Is the second one I think probably Hook?

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

No, that was the trap answer iirc.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh poo poo. I think I was part of an earlier year's attempt at this. It all sounds extremely familiar. Gonna have to see what my plans are looking like for April.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

i've dropped my details in irc, will try and join in where possible.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

If you join IRC before March 14th and then don't come back at all until April 13th, you might have to redo your nickname registration!

P00h I remember your username, glad to have to back!

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

my cat is norris posted:

If you join IRC before March 14th and then don't come back at all until April 13th, you might have to redo your nickname registration!

P00h I remember your username, glad to have to back!

COME BACK FOR PICTURES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE APRIL 10

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

oh sorry

ahem

Reeeeeeeeeeee get in irc reeeee

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

just got my schedule and im off this whole weekend hell yeaaaah

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Wishing the team luck and bummed that I can't take part for just the second time since the start of this. Will be travelling and without a PC.

Good to see you though norris in fantasy sumo!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Banana Canada posted:

Good to see you though norris in fantasy sumo!

YES.

i'll return to sumo on friday night. it's been a very tiring week, i've not been able to stay up late enough for the good stuff!! the VODs are good company during the work day though.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Welcome to the time of the sticky

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
This phenomenal post by Athanatos from year three hasn't been posted yet

Athanatos posted:

*A Trivia Question Timeline*

Question is read over the radio.
In Episode 4 of Two Broke Girls, what toppings does the big boobed one put on the 3rd cupcake.
The announcer has the biggest mush mouth ever.
You hear: In epi-- fer of toobrokegirl what is the -f---sa cupcake top---vw-
Herpity somehow has the question already typed fully into irc about 1/10th of a second later
You start googling. IMDB, script searcher, youtube, bing, yahoo, fan boards, the TVIV thread
You cant find poo poo
Some song is playing, you wonder how long is this song
Hey it's pretty good song
You sing a bar
oh poo poo this is trivia I gotta find this thing
Click back to IRC, links posted people searching things
Lots of guesses
Wait I know the 2 Broke Girls fan myspace page*
Song is over, question being read again, next song starts
myspace page cache loads, it's somewhere in a block of text about the show 60000 words long
ctrl+f cupcake
Hey THIS song is good too, how do they choose these?!
oh poo poo right not much time
Hey there it is...Bacon
Click back to IRC
Spam Bacon 30 times because you are pumped.
4 other people spamming bacon
Someone confirms Bacon
Rawillkill lets the phone bank know to Call Bacon
5 people try to call in
busy
Time running out, 2nd song almost over
bust signal
busy signal
loving Pick UP
busy signal
Goon gets through
You hope every other caller sees and hangs up
Dont double answer ohhh fuckk...come on
Answer in.
Song Ends.
Mush Mouth calls phones down.
Answer: BACON
IRC explodes excitement
That was pretty easy to find probably not very many points
oh poo poo they are reading the next question no time to rest

*Repeat that non-stop all weekend*

At best it's a question we find fast and get the 2nd song to relax, piss, grab a drink. At worst we have an answer and cant get it called in time.

Trivia is loving great.

*Yes, we found an answer on a cached geocities or myspace page one time

Edit: In case you're unsure about if this is great or not, I'm legit still pissed at my best friend for getting married during Trivia three years ago, despite getting to go on a helicopter up a beautiful mountain and drinking for free for three days straight.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basic Poster posted:

my cat is norris posted:

Name That Tune From This Single Snare Drum Hit

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

NFX posted:

Name That Tune From This Single Snare Drum Hit

We got that one! "She's a Beauty" by The Tubes. Several goons learned the entire history of the gated snare that day.

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

It was 250 points, and found by a first time trivia-er too.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Are there ever any trivia questions about like wieners or boobs or stuff

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OsteoMcB
Mar 19, 2023

Nooner posted:

But why tho

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Nooner posted:

I do have a bookmarks folder named discog titties, full of album covers that feature titties, found on discogs when looking for pics. hth

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Hey friends!
I'll be helping out in whatever capacity I can. I didn't have the foresight to check my schedule at work so I'm currently going to be at work that weekend, but might be able to jump in on some of the night crew hours. Good luck to us all :cheers:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

EngineerSean, my one true love, please do come join us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Okay folks, it's :toxx: time!

To give some extra motivation, I'm giving goons a chance of a lifetime to fulfill their wildest fantasy: inflict physical pain on a moderator.

:toxx: If we take first place this year, I will get a tattoo of the alternate shirt art. Yes, the goatse one. :toxx:

I have never got a tattoo in my life, mostly because I'm an indecisive idiot, so yeah, no idea how I'd react.