Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Working on ironing out the proportions of my OC goblin kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I tried a little creativity exercise. Make a big abstract mark (or a few) inside a panel and then turn it into a one-panel comic.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
heres some communist propaganda lol

the white lineart on those hands is wonderful, shinmera. love the little suggestions of creases between the thumb and index finger.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 1, 2023

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
It looks really good. Were you working with a reference for the foreshortening?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

I have no idea what I'm doing but these alcohol markers are fun. Heidi, Girl of the Alps

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I was kind of obsessively doing little copies with ink brushes and markers this weekend. I tried using a dagger brush for the little grasses and was really pleased with the effect. I'm not really ready to take the deep dive into watercolors yet, so brushes+markers feels like a very happy compromise.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

thinkin about princess kaguya

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

it's perfect

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

roomtone posted:

Don't have a drawing today but just a question - when I started drawing recently, I had it in my head that being able to accurately draw a face I see so it looks very much like the person, and also to be able to redraw the same character reliably in any pose, were my main goals - but I am wondering, how advanced are those things considered? Capturing people's actual likenesses seems to be something elusive so far, even if the result looks good on its own. Also, I think I didn't consider how much people probably use references to do these things when redrawing characters.

It's a big question. It depends on your goals. It's not so hard to draw a celebrity in the style of The Simpsons and have it look recognizably like the real person, if you can recognize and simplify their distinctive qualities. It's also, relatively speaking, quite doable for a beginner to make a nice copy of a still photo of a person, if they are patient and willing to measure out some proportions. But it gets more difficult if you are working with a live model. Then you will really benefit from knowing some stuff about figure drawing and some basic anatomy. And for cartooning, making an on-the-spot caricature is a whole extra layer of complexity. As is animating the character or drawing them in different situations or expressions. Of course, if you want to make a photo-realistic copy, fully-rendered, that involves several skills and is an art unto itself.

Redrawing a character reliably in any pose is probably an intermediate-to-advanced skill. It requires some figure drawing knowledge for sure. The best way to do it is to create a character sheet, where you draw the character "on model" from different positions, so you can refer back to that blueprint no matter what angle you are drawing from. If you are interested in comics or animation, it might also be worth trying to develop some visual shorthand for how you draw the character--when they're far away or the camera is zoomed out, you want to simplify their design somewhat.

It's a high level skill to be able to draw a character in any position solely from imagination. Until you are able to do that, what you can do is look up references for poses to base your drawings on, or photograph yourself or a friend, or even look in a mirror as needed while drawing. Programs like Clip Studio have generic 3D people that you can pose, if that works for you (I have found it clunky so far). For what it's worth, I think Alison Bechdel drew a lot of Fun Home using reference images for her character poses. So figure drawing from imagination, while very valuable, is a skill that is no way a prerequisite to making impactful art.

sketched some plants at my friend's house

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Scribbled a little self-portrait during a break

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I think you should be pleased with your progress as well! I agree with what HopperUK said.

Some additional feedback:
1. Line quality. You use several small strokes for a lot of the drawing, especially in the arms and dress. Since you also are using lines to denote value, it can make it harder to read what is an edge and what is shading. You could try to draw rather light to start with, to get the forms down, then go over with fewer, more confident lines.
2. Value. Here's your drawing next to the reference I assume you worked from (set to grayscale):

The reference has her mostly in a mid value range, with light coming in on the side of her face/neck/wrist/collar. One approach is to add a base coat of blended graphite to your drawing to represent a mid-value. You can then use darker marks to create shadow, and use your eraser to create highlights. The reason I bring this up is that it can be really useful to think about value as always being present, and then pushing and pulling the shadow and light--versus the idea that shading is something you have to spot-add to an otherwise white canvas.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
How do you choose your poses for your drawings, Shinmera? They're always so believable and story-filled.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

i love how tired Fujimoto makes all his characters look, i've been sketching in his style a lot lately

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

that rules. love the atmospheric perspective

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

i'm sorry

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Southern Cassowary posted:

i think this is starting to bear fruit

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Southern Cassowary posted:

lol, ty. it's from here: https://drawabox.com/lesson/1/rotatedboxes

day 15:
- finished the rotated boxes exercise
- did foreshortening with cylinders. struggled with this until the last pose where i got a betterish foreshortened leg which i was happy about.
- did the third day of anime face blind copy master study. here's the before and after of the part where you draw it from memory without reference - definitely good results, struggled with some things. going to do this again on a piece of art with less crazy hair and a more normal angle to see if i can get it closer.

it's great seeing your practice! i've also been trying to brush up on my fundamentals some more. I wish my drawabox rotated boxes looked as nice as yours lol

lately i've been doing hair in the style of ghibli concept art/storyboards. it's really simple because you don't have to close most of the shapes, you just indicate the flow of the hair with lines and fill it in with tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
inked over a little figure study. i'm still trying to make sense of figures, especially how arms connect to the shoulders and what the deal is with leggies. feel like things are looking sane as long as i'm drawing from reference, but i still haven't internalized the forms for imaginative drawing.