Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

haven't posted here with my daily drawings before, but i did a year of doing them back in 2021-2022, and started doing it again the first of this year.

i finally got a scanner so i can share them with more than just my spouse. the rest of this year's drawings can be found here: https://www.are.na/s-s-zefdu3w0yii/daily-drawings-2023

background: i do them all on regular 8.5x11, with the same roughly 4x7" bounding box, and muji 0.38 black gel pens. occasionally i use a blueblack or a 0.5mm, or get real wild and use copic neutral greys, but generally just the black 0.38s.

they aren't always good, but i'm always glad i did them.

anyway, today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

brain is stuck in baldur's gate

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

pls excuse incorrect date

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

IkeTurner posted:

This is particularly fantastic. I really love this style. I demand more.

Edit: One of these days I'm sure you will get the date right. :laugh:

ty, i'll keep producing, i'm glad you like it!! :shobon:

i do my daily drawing before bed, but if it's after midnight, i count it as the day before :ssh:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

tedious

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

HopperUK posted:

I love this but that is a *huge* source image, haha

So much crazy talent this last couple of pages.

mb, bad habit of setting high dpi.

uninspired drawing because of staying up way way way too late

digital penitence posted:

I haven't drawn in a long time. The whole AI thing has depressed me and killed any desire to create anything for a while.
I'm just starting to now draw a bit again, but probably won't do anything digital anymore. At least with pencil on paper there seems to be some tangibility to it which AI won't be able to recreate or take away.

i love how you did the shirt -- it's both draped and crisp at the same time, and it looks rad.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

it's actually upside down from how i drew it, but i thought it looked better this way :shrug:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

IkeTurner posted:

Are you basing these on any source material, or just freestylin'.

I am particularly impressed how you manage to maintain balance and continuity, through the smaller portions, and the overall work.

freestylin mostly. i look up reference pics if i'm trying to figure out how to draw something specific (plants and earthy stuff generally), but for the most part, it's whatever feels right in the moment.

i start with a pencil underlay (i've used the same 4H tombow pencil for like a year and a half lol), just to lay out the directional flow, block out areas, and set up perspective details. i don't have training in traditional fine arts drawing, but i do have training and about a decade of experience with technical perspective and design sketching, so i use perspective and blocking with primitive volume shapes a lot.

from there, it's just a lot of texture, markmaking, etc. I try to keep it pretty loose and gestural, as kind of a gently caress you to the structure and precision of technical drawing. :v

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

skipped yesterday, caught up today

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Shinmera posted:

#2041: "𝔻𝕠 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕞𝕖𝕒𝕟 𝕞𝕖?"

i know this was a few days ago, sorry for the delayed reaction! i get mad chromatic aberration from my glasses and the edge effect here is so disorienting and spot on. i keep moving my head around to try figure out what's actually in the the drawing vs caused by my glasses. it's rad 8)

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Shinmera posted:

Oof! What kind of glasses are those? Just a really strong lens, or something else?

yeah, just strong lenses. might be from a coating or something, now that i think about it. i don't recommend it!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

NAG posted:

All of these are really cool!

Here's one I made for the ongoing GoonArt discord dome:

ty, and this is super rad, i love the angles on angles on angles.

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 3, 2023

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

IkeTurner posted:

Do you use/have anything in particular to come up with the ideas and structure for these illustrations? I'm curious about where you even begin to create these fantastic works.

(This comes from a place of jealousy. I would love to be able to keep my ink moving to create all these wonderful lines.)

I've mostly gotten into complex ink line work while doing studies. Example, this Durer engraving. Any guidance you could provide about your techniques would be helpful and appreciated.

(And I just realized you already answered this question for me a few weeks ago! But if you have any additional tips you'd like to provide I'd love to hear them. I've been working through Andrew Loomis's books. Do you have any particular artist's instruction you've been following that has been helpful?)

I hadn't heard of Andrew Loomis before, so ty, I'll check those books out!

Most of my drawing education is from industrial design sketching. I don't have very deep fine arts education, so I'm not sure exactly how much the practices differ, but it focused a lot on technical perspective (which i love, and will always happily give perspective critiques on request), form/volume communication (eg using lines to communicate curvature changes and volume without exacting shading), and clear/confident linework (which i am bad and horrible at).

I like Scott Robertson's books for industrial design sketching & rendering (How to Draw & How to Render -- not very inventive names, but they are really good resources for learning technical perspective and design rendering!).

lately, i'm trying to focus on how a texture looks going across a form, and making it communicate the form more emphatically, because i lean on flat texture expanses way too much. but i try not to sweat it too much, because i like the meditative nature of just scribblin down scribbles and making them become a thing, and i don't want it to feel too much like work.

i also aim to make things look vaguely grotesque, but my spouse doesn't think they are :negative:

on that note:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU