Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
New day, new doodled dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

I love your style. I wish i could do this. Please continue sharing all of this.

Edit: Your recent work reminded me of my personal favorite work i've ever done (which was just a study of a Jean Metzinger work.)

You:

Me, studying my betters:

I especially love the overwhelming explosion of colors.

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 28, 2023

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Current mood, 2023.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Cats. Cats never changes.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Rockefeller lives forever.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Never been good at kitties. Trying more kitty doodles.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Dogs.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Dogs. I think March will be Dogs month.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

a strange fowl posted:

exquisite dogs

Thanks!

The March of Dogs continues.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Fear and Loathing in Dog Vegas.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

I love your style. So, I just had to crib it, if only for a minute to feel it out. (You're way better at this.)

Parallel pen on card stock.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Leaving Dog Vegas.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Changing it up. Self portrait. Third birthday, 1983. Trying to remember what I was feeling in the moment, and putting it on the page.

Parallel pen on card stock.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

I love the continuous line style. Also, the stripe work on the middle cat is especially good. :thumbs-up:!

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
It was Dog March, but I broke down and doodled some kitties.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Feeling bleah about this one but I learned some stuff. Need to treat gouache as its own medium and not just weird watercolors, for one thing. I also gotta use a brush next time I ink over it because running a pen over dried gouache feels awful. Third, I gotta learn how shadows work like, at all.

This is great. Reminds me immediately of Maurice Noble, one of the greatest background artists for Looney Tunes and other famous works of animation. His works are definitely worth looking up, and I'd also recommend finding some of his books and/or interviews. His approach to his work has provided a wealth to how I think about anything I'm working on.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Jabbing paint pens at card stock until the feelings go away. Abstract April. Let's do this.

Hmm... where is this going???

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 16, 2023

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

White Light posted:

Hey white and gold inks, you don't see that every day

You do not, but they're very fun to use.

https://amzn.to/3mD7mhf

https://amzn.to/3L1dmdc

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Been a rough couple of weeks. Still managed to do some doodles.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Seconded. Also, the following films in the quasi-series are worth watching: Powaqqatsi, Naqoyqatsi, Samsara, Baraka, and Chronos.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Been in a slump. Doodled a dear friend.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Still can't stop doodling dogs. From any angle. Including the weird ones they present me with.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Never tried paints before. Picked up a cheapo $8.98 watercolor set on a whim to see what it was all about.

Edit: And now that it's dry. (Apparently watercolors change as they dry and set?????)

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 30, 2023

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Continuing my blind adventure into water color painting. This was based on a memory of going to the Bronx Zoo as a child.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Still getting weird with paints. Not sure what this is about, but here it is.

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 21, 2023

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Trying new watercolor techniques, just to see what happens. Never forget.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Dog days of summer approaching.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Current vibe.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Bought some additional art supplies. To get a bit more into watercolors.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Continuing to practice this watercolor thing on scraps to get a feel for how it all works.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
I got quite angry at the world tonight. However, I somehow managed to compose myself and continue practicing watercolor doodles.

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 18, 2023

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

This is particularly fantastic. I really love this style. I demand more.

Edit: One of these days I'm sure you will get the date right. :laugh:

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 7, 2023

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Gnossiennes posted:

it's actually upside down from how i drew it, but i thought it looked better this way :shrug:

Are you basing these on any source material, or just freestylin'.

I am particularly impressed how you manage to maintain balance and continuity, through the smaller portions, and the overall work.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Do you use/have anything in particular to come up with the ideas and structure for these illustrations? I'm curious about where you even begin to create these fantastic works.

(This comes from a place of jealousy. I would love to be able to keep my ink moving to create all these wonderful lines.)

I've mostly gotten into complex ink line work while doing studies. Example, this Durer engraving. Any guidance you could provide about your techniques would be helpful and appreciated.

(And I just realized you already answered this question for me a few weeks ago! But if you have any additional tips you'd like to provide I'd love to hear them. I've been working through Andrew Loomis's books. Do you have any particular artist's instruction you've been following that has been helpful?)

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 3, 2023

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Gnossiennes posted:

I like Scott Robertson's books for industrial design sketching & rendering (How to Draw & How to Render -- not very inventive names, but they are really good resources for learning technical perspective and design rendering!).

Oh, nice. I've had those two books on my bookshelf for ages now. I'll bump them up in my queue and finally give them a whirl. Thanks.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Smik posted:

Forgot to post this from last night:

Currently working on a VN background:

These have all been fantastic. Can you provide any details about the types of brush styles you're using to attain this type of line work? You mentioned it's Clip Studio Paint, which I've used before. But are you using any specific brush style configs to get these very unique, and very beautiful, results?

The heavy lines in contrast to the fine lines are particularly well done.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
After a long rough patch I doodled some dogs tonight.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

These recent works of yours with subtle coloration are fantastic. I demand more. MORE.

Edit: you've made me realize how to address my issue with art pads, illustrating on "large" sheets, and feeling like I get lost in the space. From now on I will mark out a frame inside the page and then work within in. Thanks!

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 28, 2023

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Dogs. More dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
More dogs. Always dogs.