Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFlu7dmHQ_g

Left Behind: Rise of the Antichrist is the 6th movie in the Left Behind franchise and a sequel to 2014's Left Behind starring Nicholas Cage, a reboot of the original Left Behind film adaptation which received two sequels.

Why did it take them 9 years to make this? After the reboot flopped, a 2015 indiegogo sought to raise $500,000 to fund a sequel for a 2016 release. It only raised $80,000 forcing the project to be put on hold. Instead a spin off Vanished: Left Behind - Next Generation was made in 2016 and can be watched on Tubi https://tubitv.com/movies/663780/vanished?start=true&utm_source=google-feed&tracking=google-feed The script for Rise of the Antichrist was completed in 2017 but filming did not begin until 2021. It covers the events of the third book and the producers plan to tell the entire Left Behind saga in a 7 film series.

This first sequel to the reboot is special as it must reboot the reboot to reflect modern events and completely refresh the cast. Our current cast is:

Rayford Steele: Kevin Sorbo (also the director)
Buck Williams: Greg Perrow
Nicolae Carpathia: Bailey Chase
Hattie Durham: Kathryn Kohut
Pastor Barnes: Charles Andrew Payne

And Kevin Sorbo's kids or wife or something have roles too.

quote:

The character of Conner was originally intended to be a very minor role. However, the producers were so impressed with Braeden Sorbo's performance that extra scenes were written for him.

Wow!

However it is extra important that you know about this movie now. Why? Like the 2014 film, this will be released in theaters. However it is a limited Fathom event! So you can only see it in theaters this weekend! Tickets are going fast, when we ordered our tickets 10 seats had been sold in our theater!

It is important to support this movie. Kevin Sorbo was forced to get the vaccine (possible mark of the beast) to film it in Canada. So if you wish to support Kevin, see it in theaters this weekend! If you need your Left Behind fix now, the first three films are on Tubi:

https://tubitv.com/movies/528339/left-behind-the-movie?start=true

https://tubitv.com/movies/528331/left-behind-2-tribulation-force?start=true

https://tubitv.com/movies/528333/left-behind-world-at-war?start=true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I saw a trailer for this before M3gan of all things, and the audience was just dead silent after this thing aired.

I know everybody's gotta work, but Neal McDonough and Corbin Bernsen both being in this is kind of heart breaking for me. I guess it's not as bad as Nic Cage being in that 2014 one that I've never even heard of before.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Disappointed to see McDonough in this, and not even playing the antichrist at that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The dynamic was just completely different in 2014 though. Before Trump you could make a Christian movie without having all these other issues wrapped up in it. Now you gotta have ALL SOULS MATTER graffiti in the movie and a whole subplot about how giving people a livable income is the mark of the beast and it has to star Kevin Sorbo/James Woods/John Voight or the chuds will get upset.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Flying Zamboni posted:

Disappointed to see McDonough in this, and not even playing the antichrist at that.

He is very very religious and got fired from Desperate Housewives because he wouldn't film sex scenes. I think he is a decent enough actor (he rules in justified) but he also has to take what he can get

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

B-Rock452 posted:

He is very very religious and got fired from Desperate Housewives because he wouldn't film sex scenes. I think he is a decent enough actor (he rules in justified) but he also has to take what he can get

"I won't pretend to have sex on screen, but I have no problem pretending to kill people on screen." That's pretty on-brand for that type of wingnut.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

A Fancy Hat posted:

I saw a trailer for this before M3gan of all things, and the audience was just dead silent after this thing aired.

I know everybody's gotta work, but Neal McDonough and Corbin Bernsen both being in this is kind of heart breaking for me. I guess it's not as bad as Nic Cage being in that 2014 one that I've never even heard of before.

Corbin has done a few movies like this and I really need to see "Christian Mingle" which he directed.

Basebf555 posted:

The dynamic was just completely different in 2014 though. Before Trump you could make a Christian movie without having all these other issues wrapped up in it. Now you gotta have ALL SOULS MATTER graffiti in the movie and a whole subplot about how giving people a livable income is the mark of the beast and it has to star Kevin Sorbo/James Woods/John Voight or the chuds will get upset.

Realistically this is just returning Christian movies to what they've always been. This franchise started out with low budget movies starring Kirk Cameron (and were preceded by the even lower budget Apocalypse series which eventually tried to sneak Howie Mandel in without telling him they were Christian movies.) They 2014 movie was just a blip on the radar when they got too ambitious. Those movies definitely weren't divorced from politics with the evils of fake Christians, the UN and globalism being present in all of these movies dating back to the 70s.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This article just ruined my life a bit. He’s just such an awesome bad guy.

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/entertainment/2022/december/actor-neal-mcdonough-aims-to-bring-god-glory-with-faith-based-production-company

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Can anyone tell me how much Sarah Fisher/Chloe is in this? I loved her in Degrassi where her character started as a fundamental Christian villain before becoming an amazing person.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Corbin has done a few movies like this and I really need to see "Christian Mingle" which he directed.

Realistically this is just returning Christian movies to what they've always been. This franchise started out with low budget movies starring Kirk Cameron (and were preceded by the even lower budget Apocalypse series which eventually tried to sneak Howie Mandel in without telling him they were Christian movies.) They 2014 movie was just a blip on the radar when they got too ambitious. Those movies definitely weren't divorced from politics with the evils of fake Christians, the UN and globalism being present in all of these movies dating back to the 70s.

Yeah Corbin's been doing lovely microbudget movies that nobody sees for decades at this point.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think I will ever forgive Kirk Cameron, self-righteous dill-hole that he is, for getting Julie McCullough fired.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

Bersen seems to balance making mainstream stuff and doing terrible Christian movies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Incredible theater going experience. After the movie Kevin Sorbo has a 5 minute video where he explains the message to you and then Mike Huckabee asks you to pray with him. Sorbo's "Noah was the original conspiracy theorist" joke got a huge reaction in the theater.

I think this script was actually worse than the Kirk Cameron Left Behinds and the acting was just as lifeless. How do you do a Nicolae Carpathia with no accent? Really poorly edited too. My highest recommendation.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Flying Zamboni posted:

Right? After hamming it up so hard he could feed a hundred Christmas dinners as the Arrowverse's Damien Darhk, they really missed an opportunity here for the most memorable antichrist in a generation.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

MassRafTer posted:

Incredible theater going experience. After the movie Kevin Sorbo has a 5 minute video where he explains the message to you and then Mike Huckabee asks you to pray with him. Sorbo's "Noah was the original conspiracy theorist" joke got a huge reaction in the theater.

I think this script was actually worse than the Kirk Cameron Left Behinds and the acting was just as lifeless. How do you do a Nicolae Carpathia with no accent? Really poorly edited too. My highest recommendation.

Hold up, Huckabee is in this??? lmao

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
They need to skip.forward to the good stuff in the books. They get totally loving wild with like flying scorpions with lions heads biting people and causing a agonizing plague.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

Wonder if he's learned his lesson from the last time he was involved with a movie that caused it to lose millions of dollars.

Also one of the funniest things about Left Behind is that they need to make the main characters "bad" people because they don't get Raptured but because the audience is super Christians the main characters can't actually be that bad. So Rayford Steele is unfaithful to his wife but never actually has sex with other women. He just has an emotional affair with a stewardess and at one point is said to have drunkenly made out with a woman at a Christmas party. Similar thing with Buck Williams who is a world trotting reporter but is still a virgin well into his 20s.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

muscles like this! posted:

Wonder if he's learned his lesson from the last time he was involved with a movie that caused it to lose millions of dollars.

Also one of the funniest things about Left Behind is that they need to make the main characters "bad" people because they don't get Raptured but because the audience is super Christians the main characters can't actually be that bad. So Rayford Steele is unfaithful to his wife but never actually has sex with other women. He just has an emotional affair with a stewardess and at one point is said to have drunkenly made out with a woman at a Christmas party. Similar thing with Buck Williams who is a world trotting reporter but is still a virgin well into his 20s.

Nicolas Cage returns to the series but as John Milton from Drive Angry.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's funnier if you watch the interview where Huckabee tells Sorbo how good the movie is.

Hollismason posted:

They need to skip.forward to the good stuff in the books. They get totally loving wild with like flying scorpions with lions heads biting people and causing a agonizing plague.

Not only did they not skip forward, they skipped backwards. This movie ends basically where the first book leaves off, although it changes the ending of the first book. It seems like a weird mix of Left Behind and the Cloud Ten Apocalypse movies. Supposedly they are doing less movies than there were books (in theory, they'll run out of money first) so they will have to skip ahead eventually.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

double lmao

MassRafTer posted:

It's funnier if you watch the interview where Huckabee tells Sorbo how good the movie is.

My favorite piece of media involving Mike Huckabee has to be this Vic Berger gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DmtpkJJXJw

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

In this movie basically everyone is left behind because simply because they thought their Christian spouse was kind of annoying. There is a scene where three people harangue Chloe Steele for being left behind despite her mom's faith and you are left thinking "YOU WERE ALL FRIENDS WITH HER AND ALSO LEFT BEHIND!" and they eventually reveal their spouses were raptured. I'm really fascinated where they go with the third movie because it seems like they've dropped some plot threads where the characters have to do even slightly morally ambiguous things to help The Tribulation Force.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 29, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, IIRC both of the main characters end up actually working for the Antichrist.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Yeah, IIRC both of the main characters end up actually working for the Antichrist.

Knowingly? Because that could be fun.

"Look, in this Left Behind economy, ya gotta go where the work is and the AntiChrist offers a good health care package - which is important, what with Wormwood and the whole scorpion thing."

Has anyone seen Devil Conspiracy? Because that sounds crazy in the best way.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I feel like we deserve a good eschatology movie. it's a shame mainstream christian art is often so vapid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Famethrowa posted:

I feel like we deserve a good eschatology movie. it's a shame mainstream christian art is often so vapid.

What, The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons weren't good enough for you? :v:

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Famethrowa posted:

We already have Alien3.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Famethrowa posted:

Wasn't that the whole MCU Infinity Stones arc?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

The Rapture (1991) wasn't a big production but at least it wasn't watered-down.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Everyone posted:

Knowingly? Because that could be fun.

"Look, in this Left Behind economy, ya gotta go where the work is and the AntiChrist offers a good health care package - which is important, what with Wormwood and the whole scorpion thing."

Has anyone seen Devil Conspiracy? Because that sounds crazy in the best way.

The Devil Conspiracy rules. Wild film.

Yes, they knowingly work for the Antichrist. In the original movies and book Rayford Steele becomes Nicolae's pilot. In the movies he doesn't want to but is convinced he has to do it to get inside info. Buck is recruited to be his reporter/PR guy. It's as poorly written as you'd expect with them obviously sabotaging him.

The best rapture film is The Apple, but the filmmakers were Jewish so I guess it doesn't count as a Christian film!

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 30, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MassRafTer posted:

The Devil Conspiracy rules. Wild film.

Yes, they knowingly work for the Antichrist. In the original movies and book Rayford Steele becomes Nicolae's pilot. In the movies he doesn't want to but is convinced he has to do it to get inside info. Buck is recruited to be his reporter/PR guy. It's as poorly written as you'd expect with them obviously sabotaging him.

The best rapture film is The Apple, but the filmmakers were Jewish so I guess it doesn't count as a Christian film!

My favorite lost in translation thing of that movie from Golan Globus is the plot point of "We have to get Bibi away from this life of free sex, drugs, and rock music, let's bring her to live in this hippie commune to get away from those things."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

Braeden Sorbo

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

Wasn't that the whole MCU Infinity Stones arc?

e. that was mean lol. no, like, something more serious.

MassRafTer posted:

that's kinda what I'm missing. a Christian perspective (contained within a good film...) on the topic feels like uncharted territory and something I'd really like.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 30, 2023

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Famethrowa posted:

that's kinda what I'm missing. a Christian perspective (contained within a good film...) on the topic feels like uncharted territory and something I'd really like.

Your biggest obstacle to getting that is that the people with money to make movies are the conservatives/fundamentalists AKA the testicular cancer of the body of Christ.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Everyone posted:

Your biggest obstacle to getting that is that the people with money to make movies are the conservatives/fundamentalists AKA the testicular cancer of the body of Christ.

but even their movies are too cowardly to say what they really think! it's all couched in innuendo and shy suggestions of what they really think of non-Christians. not that I necessarily want their fascist propaganda but at least it'd be an actual movie with a viewpoint.

shockingly, the one piece of media that loving goes there is the game Left Behind: Eternal Forces where you combat nonbelievers with your choice of 1. missionaries to peacefully convert them or 2. militia troops to shoot them to death. featuring fresh new songs from TobyMac!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Famethrowa posted:

but even their movies are too cowardly to say what they really think! it's all couched in innuendo and shy suggestions of what they really think of non-Christians. not that I necessarily want their fascist propaganda but at least it'd be an actual movie with a viewpoint.

shockingly, the one piece of media that loving goes there is the game Left Behind: Eternal Forces where you combat nonbelievers with your choice of 1. missionaries to peacefully convert them or 2. militia troops to shoot them to death. featuring fresh new songs from TobyMac!

Lol, they made a game??? Lmao.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol, they made a game??? Lmao.

They made three.

They all ran on the same engine, overcharged, and were coding disasters.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

secretly best girl posted:

They made three.

They all ran on the same engine, overcharged, and were coding disasters.

Just incredible

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_JN63677yY
Had to look up the games.... wow.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Famethrowa posted:

I think there is one. I have to go through all of the rapture films I've seen but I have seen one that made me go "this is actually pretty good." However I've seen dozens of these movies so it's hard to remember the one that was good but kind of boring vs the really silly ones.

Not a rapture movie but God's Not Dead 3 is shockingly kind of interesting and introspective for what the plot is and that it's the makers of God's Not Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

thats interesting they only show the missionaries because the contemporary screenshots show the player recruiting tanks and infantry as well. I wonder if it got patched out eventually or if the reviewer said "gently caress this game" eventually.

MassRafTer posted:

I think there is one. I have to go through all of the rapture films I've seen but I have seen one that made me go "this is actually pretty good." However I've seen dozens of these movies so it's hard to remember the one that was good but kind of boring vs the really silly ones.

Not a rapture movie but God's Not Dead 3 is shockingly kind of interesting and introspective for what the plot is and that it's the makers of God's Not Dead.

if you come up with one please share! I watched a snippet of God's Not Dead and can't imagine it ever being interesting so I'll take your word, lol

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 30, 2023