Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Bests

Coolest Fighter of the Year

Fight of the Year

ONE on Prime Video 6 - Stamp Fairtex vs Supergirl Anna Jaroonsak

ONE one Prime Video 6 - Superlek Kiatmoo9 vs Daniel Puertas

ONE Friday Fights 1 - Muangthai PK Saenchai vs Mavlud Tupiev

Krush 145 - Hisaki Higashimoto vs Shu Inagaki

Enfusion 118 - Ilias Zouggary vs Darryl Verdonk

UFC 284 - Islam Makhachev vs Alexander Volkanovski

ONE Friday Fights 5 - Kongklai Annymuaythai vs Superball Tded99

BKFC KnuckleMania 3 - Anthony Sanchez vs Derek Perez

Event of the Year

KO of the Year

LFA 150 - Ganbat Bayasgalan vs Adamu Isah (Punch)

Shooto 2023 Opening Round - Shoji Sato vs Yauyuki Nojiri (Punch)

UFC 283 - Ismael Bonfim vs Terence McKinney (Flying knee)

UFC 283 - Bruno Ferreira vs Gregory Rodrigues (Punch)

BKFC KnuckleMania 3 - Lorenzo Hunt vs Mike Richman (Punch)

ONE on Prime 7 - Tawanchai PK Saenchai vs Jamal Yusupov (Leg kick)

PFL 2023 #2 - Amber Leibrock vs Martina Jindrova (Head kick)

UFC Vettori vs Cannonier - Manuel Torres vs Nikolas Motta (Standing elbow)

Sub of the Year

UFC 283 - Gabriel Bonfim vs Mounir Lazzez (Mounted guillotine)

UFC 285 - Alexa Grasso vs Valentina Shevchenko (Rear naked choke)

Coolest Moment of the Year

ONE on Prime Video 6 - Chingiz Allazov vs Superbon (Performance)

ONE Friday Fights 5 - Kongklai Annymuaythai vs Superball Tded99 (Round 2)

BKFC KnuckleMania 3 - Lorenzo Hunt vs Mike Richman (Round 1)

One Fight Night 7: Lineker vs. Andrade 2. Lineker’s corner takes care of their fighter and calls off the fight after the fourth round. Linekers face was battered and it looked like he couldn’t see out of his right eye.

UFC 285 - Alexa Grasso submits Valentina Shevchenko (Upset of the Year)

UFC 290 - Dan Hooker vs Jalin Turner (Round 2 - Round of the Year)

Hype of the Year

Comedic Moment

UFC 284 - In one of the sloppiest fights of recent memory Alonzo Mennefield, clearly having multiple opportunities to KO Jimmy Crute in the 1st and 2nd, commits a foul (fence grab) losing 1 point as a result, which then caused the fight to be ruled a Majority Draw.

ONE Friday Fights 2 - Harry Grech vs Arash Mardani. Grech disqualified for timidity.

BKFC 35 - Tomar Washington vs Willie Sears - Tomar Washington celebrates as they announce he was DQed

Worsts

Bureaucratic Malfeasance

UFC 283 - Nobody seems willing to stop Jessica Andrade's battering of Lauren Murphy

Bellator 292 - Jason Herzog calling a kick to the groin "incidental" because the strike hit the body first - Shabily vs Musayev

LobsterMobster fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I realize part of the problem is lower thread/forum engagement overall, but the number of ballots submitted for the year end awards is low, and often, only partial ballots are submitted.

1. What is the best way to take in ballots?
- Google form with short answer options
- Google form with multiple choice options
- Text ballot emailed to a dummy account
- Other

2. The sheer amount of categories is pretty big and unwieldy. We should probably trim things down
- What categories should we keep entirely
- What categories should be combined
- What categories should be fully removed

3. Other stuff!
- why we get not many votes??? how get more votes???

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

I realize part of the problem is lower thread/forum engagement overall, but the number of ballots submitted for the year end awards is low, and often, only partial ballots are submitted.

1. What is the best way to take in ballots?
- Google form with short answer options
- Google form with multiple choice options
- Text ballot emailed to a dummy account
- Other

2. The sheer amount of categories is pretty big and unwieldy. We should probably trim things down
- What categories should we keep entirely
- What categories should be combined
- What categories should be fully removed

3. Other stuff!
- why we get not many votes??? how get more votes???

1. I like the short form method. Partly because I enjoy being a dumb hipster and putting too obscure poo poo in, so being limited by a multiple choice with only the top 3 - 5 options is lame. Though I can see people wanting a curated list

2. Fighter of the Year, Favorite Fighter, Fight of the Year, KO, Sub should all stick around as separate things, imo

Stuff like Most Improved, Breakthrough, even Performance of the Year could maybe be smushed into one?

The Worst Fight/Event can probably get fully chucked. Same with Social Media Presence, since nobody seems to care.

Comedy/Schadenfreude could combine. Insult/Hype/Trash talk either combine or chuck, since again, it's rare years when we get a good crop of stuff

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

in terms of first place vote responses:

Worst Major Show - 6
Judging Incompetence - 6
Best Post-Fight Interview - 4
Best Insult/Trash Talk - 2
Social Media Presence - 5

I think Ref/Judging/Booking could be combined into a catch all Bureaucratic Malfeasance award?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I like that idea to curate nominations

I meant to rewatch and write up the Fight of the Year nominees around July as a halfway point check in, but I am nothing if not a lazy liar that says things and then doe not do them

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

sorry, been lazy

here's the rough idea of the "new" awards

let me know if there's something you desperately want added as a category

also, nominate stuff!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

nominated the sicknasty head kick ko at PFL

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

bump to nominate Torres's elbow of death KO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Awards thread is here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051061