Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Can’t wait to find out how weird the heat coming out my Steam Deck will smell playing this port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I want to check this out due to the good reviews and Dead Space was a good time, but I am worried about my CPU: My i5-8400 is apparently below the minimum so I am hoping it can still handle it (I do have a RTX 3070, though the CPU will still at best be a bit of a bottleneck, though it might depend on how CPU centric it is)

Alternatively:

Basic Chunnel posted:

Can’t wait to find out how weird the heat coming out my Steam Deck will smell playing this port

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
oh god the lighting in this is FANTASTIC i am 110% on to be absolutely scared shitless by necromorphs jumpscaring me in the elevator again

e: on hard, the game threw a goddamn enhanced necromorph at me in the first real room you do poo poo in, before I even had a chance to upgrade the god gun :gonk:

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 27, 2023

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
This should have been a midnight release for the aesthetic, because I ain't playing this game while the sun is out

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006
Guessing it's gonna be a no, but has anybody seen yet if the PC version has support for Dualsense haptics and/or triggers? It's pretty hit or miss with ports and this stuff, few big ones bring it over but a lot don't. On one hand you have stuff like Ghostwire & Plague Tale that bring it over, but then other big releases like Callisto that don't.

Kind of debating whether I'd want to grab it on PS5 or PC and idk... if the haptics are good they're a pretty nice boost to the experience for me. Saw in a few interviews they mentioned putting work into having them be pretty present as opposed to just an afterthought. This game seems pretty well optimized so I imagine the performance on both platforms should be solid.

Blankspace fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 27, 2023

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

My copy for the Series X should be delivered sometime today. Looking forward to playing this tonight with headphones and shooting limbs off again.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Come on, Digital Foundry! Where is that version comparison video? Or any kind of info on which version to buy? The DualSense stuff is a big selling point for the PS5 version, but not so much that I'll go that way if it's like "the Series X runs this at a steady 60 FPS but the PS5 version chugs at 40 because we hosed up".

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Shiroc posted:

What was this?

It's been like a decade since i played the game, but if my memory doesn't fail me, the CEC outfits their storages, like the crates and lockers, with some kind of seal or tampering protection. The CEC logo will reflect green(?) if you shine your flashlight at it if the seal is intact, and if it doesn't, you can expect a nasty surprise.

Dead Space 1 had a lot of tiny little lovingly crafted details.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Callisto Protocol really was some "we tried to make a Dead Space without understanding what made Dead Space so amazing" bullshit, which is astonishing considering the original game's lead designer was on the project. What a loving letdown.

I think my biggest issue with callisto is how the world never felt alive and the whole thing felt like what if a western dev tried to make a resident evil but with none of the sytem shock influences but none of the GOOD camp of RE and all of the dumb camp. id love a melee combat focused dead space type game but lol calisto isnt it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TCP spends negative amounts of time developing the prison before it inexplicably goes to hell. You get processed, pass out, then wake mid-apocalypse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SettingSun posted:

TCP spends negative amounts of time developing the prison before it inexplicably goes to hell. You get processed, pass out, then wake mid-apocalypse.

the funny thing is they gently caress up THE SHOT. everyone of these shock type horror game has a big establishing shot of THE PLACE but like you get a blink and you will miss it sight of the sign.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

the guy from skill up reported that it sadly straight up does not boot on the steam deck, although the shader compiling is apparently successful, so there might be a patch later down the road that'll let you run it

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
If the remake can mix some of the best parts of 1 and 2 I’m gonna play this so drat much. Even if it’s just 1:again but prettier I’m still gonna love it

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Got the PS5 version. Runs really well in the performance mode (seems solid 60), the Dualsense effects are very good. I had forgotten how loving TERRIFYING Dead Space is though. Jesus christ, my poor cat who was sleeping on my lap got several rude awakenings.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SettingSun posted:

To be fair, Dead Space 2 did this with The Sprawl, you wake up and you’re immediately in The poo poo. Because if DS2 I didn’t mind it much when Callisto Protocol did it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think the sprawl was helped a lot by the urban touches giving more context for how life was lived - the malls, the apartment blocks, the unitologist cathedral, etc. - which added considerable character and understanding to the new space you found yourself in. black iron is mostly anonymous industrial mazes and inexplicable meatgrinder-based technology that give almost no impression beyond it being a spooky prison for bad people, and that hurts the believability of it as a real place and consequent interest in exploring it

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
This remake has been pretty dang good so far. I'm about halfway through chapter 2 and loving it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arrrthritis posted:

This remake has been pretty dang good so far. I'm about halfway through chapter 2 and loving it.

Have you been scared yet

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

jokes posted:

Have you been scared yet

They did get me pretty good with a jumpscare that was pretty much just grabbed from the first game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The 3D audio on the PS5 version is terrifyingly effective. God drat I haven't jumped at shadows and shadow sounds this much since god knows when.

I got to the part where you find the circuit breaker with only two fuses and have to pick between lights, the maintenance room door and the elevators. And you need the latter two so you have to turn off the lights in the huge scary hangar room and had to stop for the evening. I just can't

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Vermain posted:

i think the sprawl was helped a lot by the urban touches giving more context for how life was lived - the malls, the apartment blocks, the unitologist cathedral, etc. - which added considerable character and understanding to the new space you found yourself in. black iron is mostly anonymous industrial mazes and inexplicable meatgrinder-based technology that give almost no impression beyond it being a spooky prison for bad people, and that hurts the believability of it as a real place and consequent interest in exploring it

It being the sequel helped too. All of the 'real city' stuff especially stood out when most players went through the very industrial and functional Ishimura already.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Blankspace posted:

Guessing it's gonna be a no, but has anybody seen yet if the PC version has support for Dualsense haptics and/or triggers?

In case anyone else comes in here wondering, they chose to leave support out of the PC version. I doubt they'll patch it in, so haptics, controller audio & adaptive triggers are PS5 only unless that happens in the future or it gets modded in by the community. You can get the controller working with standard rumble only, or using DSX to enable their version of Audio Haptics if you want to give that a try

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
drat, that's a bummer, I really wish more pc games were getting decent dualsense support

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I have a ps5 and series x but I forgot the ps5 one had extra bells and whistles and got series x ugh

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I platinum trophied DS1 and they've already gotten me with a couple jump scares and necromorphs in close pursuit

Remake loving rocks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On PC, is anyone else getting infrequent stuttering issues? Have you been able to find a fix for it? It happens mostly during sudden/quick animations; doors opening, going into aim mode. I've seen a lot of people complaining about this, but no one trying to troubleshoot it. Otherwise I get a pretty smooth 60fps even during combat.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

How well does it run on PS5?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

How well does it run on PS5?

Seems perfectly fine but I have it on performance mode

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I went on the hated Steam Forums for this game to check something and the madmen are at it again. Definitely under the influence of sinister space magic.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Them turning Isaac into a voiced protagonist kinda made me worry that we'd have another "AAA-game won't shut up" situation but from what I've seen it doesn't look like that's the case.

MrMel
May 12, 2011
Is there a way to make the targeting lasers holographic like the original? I'm sad that they seemed to have missed that detail.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

MrMel posted:

Is there a way to make the targeting lasers holographic like the original? I'm sad that they seemed to have missed that detail.

Could have sworn I heard them talking about that specifically in a development video a while back but I can't find it in the options anywhere. Relatively minor detail, maybe they could patch it in later.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
How do you cut with the plasma cutter again? I think I missed a tutorial

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

worms butthole guy posted:

Your username would make an interesting dead space enemy

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Is there any way to make the RIG HUD use your mouse cursor when you're playing with keyboard and mouse? Arrow keys are an extremely ??? choice and while I can add WASD as an alternative, it does make Isaac dance around while I'm using the menu.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

If you see some bastard with knives for arms coming at you, clap him in the legs with it and turn him into Ironside

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

just shoot them in the head and body, that will put them down quickly

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Isaac 'Boom Headshot' Clarke

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Extraction wasn't an exclusive, OP. It was on PS3 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Oh sweet thanks all.

This game loving rocks.