Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

SRQ posted:

core start/stop cycle effects climate to some degree and it last did in the 70s, therefore GLOBAL WARMING is a fraud
heard it here first folks

There is zero credible argument for the alleged effect - on an inferred period slightly shorter than a century - to have any bearing whatsoever on climate effects, or at least not the ones we are generally concerned about such as greenhouse gas buildups leading to rising temperatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I’ve changed from worrying about climate change killing us all eventually to worrying that it won’t kill us all fast enough.

if some kind of ultrapox can bump us all before 2050 or so, perhaps a few macrofauna species (other than our livestock) will survive us.

otherwise, LOL

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Colonel Cancer posted:

I hope chickens make it out ok and become an advanced civilization

they're too dumb to organize,
but among the avians crows and cockatoos would be more fun to imagine as successor dominant species.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

No. 6 posted:

There's likely not sufficient time for another intelligent species to evolve on earth before the sun swallows it whole.

We're probably the most advanced intellect to ever emerge from this mote.

LOL

Douglas Adams posted:

“For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.”

I watched wild orcas make artful synchronized leaps, a dance on the waves with unmistakeable intentional choreography. I saw a dolphin blow a most perfectly circular, gleaming silvery bubble ring, and then another concentric within the first. For no apparent reason other than maybe a demonstration of skill and art. I saw a little brown fox bouncing on a back garden trampoline over and over again. I photographed with my own lens a wild cockatoo amusing himself and swinging by his toes on a springy treetop vine like a child in a playground, with not a care in the world. I saw a youtube video of a crow dragging a lid from a jar to the top of a snow-covered slanted roof, stepping on the lid and surfing it down like a little sleigh. And then doing it all over again, just for fun. I saw a scottish highland bull turn and twist his head with infinite care so that his great horns didn't come close to touching the person standing next to him.

There's plenty of beauty and intelligence and to go around. There is just not anybody else here exactly like us. And maybe there won't be ever again, after we're gone. And maybe that's fine.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

No. 6 posted:

Birds aren't as smart as human apes. HTH

which is fine

maybe they won't make our mistakes.