Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

base but it’s pretty paired down. Between levels you can grind on world map / do side missions. No calendar mechanic or anything like in 3H.

sweet, I loved my first 3H playthrough but never finished a 2nd run bc that stuff just takes up so much time and isn't really very different b/w routes. sounds more like sacred stones which I like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game is probably the most straight up fun I've had with a new Fire Emblem game, the maps and combat/unit mechanics are top notch

I really love the unit type system they added because it helps make infantry units really valuable all the way throughout the game so you don't want to make everyone fly like 3H. I kept Yunaka a Thief just so she'd keep the Covert type's insane terrain avoid bonus, and infantry melee guys are great because they're the ones who can chain attack

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

pretty sure Louis is a freaking serial killer

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

lol definitely

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Absolutely lol.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
also think Amber has actual brain damage

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Harrow posted:

No calendar structure, there's a world map this time like Awakening. There's a base but most of the things there are optional this time.

Gotta do push-ups every time though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pungry posted:

Gotta do push-ups every time though.

it's true, I'm sure as hell not leaving that +2 Str on the table

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The base is pared down and also since there's no "one month with a mission at the end" structure you don't have to gently caress around with dozens of meals and monitoring tutoring skill bars for every character multiple times between every chapter

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I caught every fish :mrgw:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think I did fishing/strength training one time. Farewell.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I made a spreadsheet using filters and drop-down boxes to easily compare combined class + character growths. Was sharing my screen during a work meeting and accidentally pulled it up, I minimized it but heard a mumbled "huh, what's that..."

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

I made a spreadsheet using filters and drop-down boxes to easily compare combined class + character growths. Was sharing my screen during a work meeting and accidentally pulled it up, I minimized it but heard a mumbled "huh, what's that..."

Well are you going to post it or not?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This site's pretty helpful if you want to mess around with growths and average stats and stuff, it also does a pretty good job hiding spoilers https://fe17.triangleattack.com/

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I'm sure everyone's moved onto engage by now but I actually just started 3H for the first time a couple weeks ago, and honestly I respect that there's a story path where you learn literally nothing about the setting or conflict because the main lord just murders his way through every problem and refuses to ask questions later

Like I wrapped up that run and was like drat that was kinda satisfying and a somewhat different tone from all modern fire emblem shame I literally have no idea what the gently caress is going on despite 22 full rear end chapters of gameplay

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Azure Moon? Yeah I think that might be my favorite route in 3H because it kind of ignores most of what I think is kind of dumb about the story and focuses on what's interesting (Dimitri vs. Edelgard)

Edelgard's route would be my favorite if it was actually complete, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Azure moon is still the only story I've seen in 3H

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

When I first beat all 4 routes the Golden Deer was my favorite, but looking back on them all at a distance I think it’s probably Azure Moon, once you already know all the lore it’s cool to have a route that just focuses on the personal stories. Dimitri’s arc is cool and I like that all the Lions have preexisting history with each other that you uncover as you go through their supports

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah I did the DLC and restarted as deers and there's already a bunch of exposition that Dmitri just flatly ignored in his path but I miss the cool Blue Lions characters

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Edelgard was right

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

Edelgard was right

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Edeltard

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
yeah...far-right that is!!!!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

Edelgard was right

This.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like that Golden Deer just completely ignores the main conflict and goes and does some standard Fire Emblem stuff because Claude isn't really that involved

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Did anyone here play the three houses musou? Kinda interested after I’m done playing engage

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Sleng Teng posted:

Did anyone here play the three houses musou? Kinda interested after I’m done playing engage

The demo is pretty substantial if you want to give it a shot

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Sleng Teng posted:

yeah I did. I loved it but musou games are crack for me.

only bad thing is that none of the endings are very conclusive, apparently they didn't wanna undermine the main game or something so its all "and so final boss was defeated but the war carried on"

but gameplay good, supports good

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

I did one route and kind of stalled out partway through the second. It’s pretty good. Easily the best of the other recent licensed musou games, there’s more of a strategic element since you have to use the tactical map to issue orders to the officers you aren’t controlling since enemy officers can actually be dangerous and capture bases or kill your guys if you’re not making sure to counter them properly. The story’s a bit of a stinker from what I’ve seen but all the character writing is really good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Three Hopes is pretty good, definitely try the demo out first but I thought it was fun. Claude's route is pretty great, he's a lot more of an actual schemer in the musou than he is in 3H itself

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Thanks imps that all sounds great :cheersdoge:

Harrow posted:

Three Hopes is pretty good, definitely try the demo out first but I thought it was fun. Claude's route is pretty great, he's a lot more of an actual schemer in the musou than he is in 3H itself

Yeah the primary reason I’m interested other than musous being ftw is that I heard it makes Claude interesting rather than pretending to be. I liked my GD run because I’m a sicko maddening, goddess messenger catching, gardening powergamer, but he was the weakest link of that run as a character.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Sleng Teng posted:

I liked the gameplay, it was my first musou. I think they did a good job adapting the weapon triangle, battalions, class changes, etc.

The story is kinda weird-it’s definitely not a perfect golden route like people wanted, and it’s not quite an alternate universe. It’s more like, what if there was another Byleth who fixed some of the problems and the school part of the story lasted five minutes.

I don’t think it nailed the fighting your friends like 3H did, but there are some satisfying diversions from the original plotline. Although the endings are really weak, and the secret stuff with the MC was dumb.

It makes Byleth a little scary and you get more time with Jeralt so that’s cool I suppose.

I did Black Eagles but didn’t have any motivation to do the others. Glad to hear that Claude’s route is fun.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

When I first beat all 4 routes the Golden Deer was my favorite, but looking back on them all at a distance I think it’s probably Azure Moon, once you already know all the lore it’s cool to have a route that just focuses on the personal stories. Dimitri’s arc is cool and I like that all the Lions have preexisting history with each other that you uncover as you go through their supports

i think i still prefer GD overall but yeah going GD->AM is the way to go. granted im still post-timeskip in the other two routes but from what i know neither are really as satisfying as those first two

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Crimson Flower has some really cool ideas but it was clearly a late addition and they didn't really have the budget or time to make it as fully developed as the other routes, which is a shame

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

Well are you going to post it or not?

Here you go, it's view only so you have to make a copy to actually use it. I had to redo the formulas when I put it into Google Sheets so something might be broke but I think it's set up properly. Also formatting looks trash on mobile but I think it works fine

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Here you go, it's view only so you have to make a copy to actually use it. I had to redo the formulas when I put it into Google Sheets so something might be broke but I think it's set up properly. Also formatting looks trash on mobile but I think it works fine

Nice work. Is there any value to keeping characters in a lower class and leveling them or should you be promoting them right away?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

my morning jackass posted:

Nice work. Is there any value to keeping characters in a lower class and leveling them or should you be promoting them right away?

straight away is best in engage, you can theoretically level infinitely (can reset to 1 in your current class with a second seal) and promoted classes have better growths