Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1620827833303195649

I do not remember what AEW's charity arm was called before but now it's called AEW Together.

if you told me a few years back Jake Roberts would be part of an outreach thing I'd be flabbergasted but he's got a shitload of life experience and is wickedly smart, good for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MJeff posted:

I do not remember what AEW's charity arm was called before but now it's called AEW Together.

I don't remember it either but I'm pretty sure Cody named it so this is obviously a shot because of the success of the Rumble.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Remember Mercedes Moné? It's time T♥ GET HER signed.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't remember it either but I'm pretty sure Cody named it so this is obviously a shot because of the success of the Rumble.

Cody named it The Alliance to End Racism

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Sweet gig for Mrs Sting

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kennel posted:

Remember Mercedes Moné? It's time T♥ GET HER signed.

Nah

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Cody named it The Alliance to End Racism

bizarrely it was a heel faction

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MJeff posted:

I think it was just AEW Community previously

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

blunt posted:

Sweet gig for Mrs Sting

his daughter in law I think. Also training with Dustin Rhodes iirc.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Rush > Andrade

https://twitter.com/Machobeard4life/status/1620791618965217280

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

He's not being massively clear - it's why he shows Maron the thing he's talking about. My understanding is, on a literal physical piece of paper in a notebook, he used to have dates of shows going down the page, which he filled across with the events of that show - the storylines, who's involved. Now he's got those storylines going down the page, and he fills in across what show they're going hit a plot beat by. It's a small change, but he does say it shouldn't make a difference, but he finds it helpful anyway.

I think it kinda does make a big difference: Doing it the first way you're basically committing to beat X happening on date Y even if it makes more sense to do it 2 weeks earlier or 3 weeks later based on the way things work when they actually play out. By doing it so you have the beats as more important, you can fill in the dates as needed.

It still doesn't help the blatant holding pattern booking like when Hangman took paternity leave (this was a net positive as paternity leave is a good thing, but I still maintain it took the payoff to the story from being an 11 to a 9) or whatever's going on with Jade until Statlander's ready, however.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I briefly hated The White Bull after he squashed Dalton Castle in 15 seconds at G1 Supercard. But everything he's done since coming to AEW has been gold.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
RUSH is a super worker and a company man, did anybody expect any less?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I heard RUSH was hard to work with in other places or something, which seemed bizarre to me given how often he has had no problem taking a loss. Maybe he just shifted his poo poo since it got him crazy opportunities like a title match versus Mox early into his arrival

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Germansimp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn_nzRvOQ3k

Rarely post Danhausen's vlog, but this is easily worth it for the opening ("Hey, aren't you that guy everybody hates?" "No, I'm Sammy Guevara"), Brody King toyhunting, and most importantly Danhausen, RJ City and Renee hating on each other.

RJ vs Renee is my favorite AEW feud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
People talking about the Jade holding pattern are being weird given the Baddie breakup has been an ongoing storyline and the Red Velvet challenge is kind of a big deal. She could actually win tonight. The Skye Blue defense was also excellent.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fez_machine posted:

Dynamite's name comes directly from his school lore notebooks and he's admitted to using old ideas from those to book storylines before.

iirc the first four champion storylines were ones he wrote a long time ago

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, Rush very quickly took Andrade’s whole spot and faction. Wasn’t there rumors Dralistico got signed by AEW too?

I’ve heard he was famous for not taking losses before but he’s seemed pretty willing to do so when it makes sense in AEW and it looks like he’s been rewarded for it. Maybe he just has a personality that is naturally better at navigating a big promotion environment and making himself look valuable and not too self focused. Stuff like this is a great example:

https://twitter.com/rushtoroblanco/status/1620552087137570817?s=46&t=9Rlo5MP2H9TqtEKeH4HeOw

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Rush is cool and he squashed Dalton Castle at Madison Square Garden because that's what cool wrestlers do.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rush ftw

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Cool that big show is still willing to take advice

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Can't wait to watch AEW with a hangover on Thursday morning, my blokes.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't exactly think Velvet is winning, but she would be a cool TBS champion and if it's not her now, I dunno who else it is unless they bring Riho out of cryostasis for her three matches a year or sign Mercedes. And it would be a pretty cool long-term story arc for Velvet to be Jade's first match and the one to stop her streak.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I would like Dalton Castle and The Boys to be on dynamite.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MJeff posted:

I don't exactly think Velvet is winning, but she would be a cool TBS champion and if it's not her now, I dunno who else it is unless they bring Riho out of cryostasis for her three matches a year or sign Mercedes. And it would be a pretty cool long-term story arc for Velvet to be Jade's first match and the one to stop her streak.

This is around when Rosa was set to be ready, right? If she's coming back in and doing Revolution this would be a good time for an appearance.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Lamuella posted:

his daughter in law I think. Also training with Dustin Rhodes iirc.

If her ring name isn't Lizzie Borden, is she even a pro wrestler?

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

RandolphCarter posted:

I would like Dalton Castle and The Boys to be on dynamite.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MJeff posted:

Plot beats wise it would be cool for red to stop Jade but i don’t think she’s built up enough credibility for it to feel good yet

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Even though she’s newer I think I would’ve put the belt on Willow over Velvet. She’s super over right now and capitalizing on that with a big win over Jade would solidify her as a top face. She is filling a role similar to what Kylie Rae probably would have if she had stayed with AEW.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Captain Foo posted:

Plot beats wise it would be cool for red to stop Jade but i don’t think she’s built up enough credibility for it to feel good yet

I suppose it's a question of what the story is: Velvet beating Jade tonight is a story about Jade loosing, if Jade looses to a returning Stat or even to Willow (or had lost to Willow several months ago) it would be a story about Stat/Willow winning. It's the same outcome but it has a different protagonist.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Captain Foo posted:

I totally agree. Jade has been totally dominant over everyone she faced, Red Velvet was a jobber-to-the-stars who spent months as Jade's valet.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
One of the reasons the eventual TBS title change will be interesting is because we don’t really have any sense of how the company views the belt outside of its attachment to Jade. I think Red Velvet is a fine choice story wise, and she’s talented enough to hold the secondary belt for a while, but I don’t really see the company putting a title on someone that far down the card.

My expectation is that someone in the upper tier of wrestlers they have pointedly been keeping away from Jade would eventually beat her — Statlander most obviously, but if not her, then maybe a Riho or Shida who could make it a workrate belt, or Ruby if she’s not in line to hold the main title for a while, or even Britt (lol) if they go through with a face turn and keep her away from the main title. In my head, the cutoff point for a credible TBS champion is Tay, who I feel like has generally been booked at a power level a notch above Red Velvet (and Willow, and Bunny and Penelope, etc.)

But that could be totally wrong! They could think more highly of Red Velvet than what I’m perceiving, or they could be willing to be more open with who’s capable of holding the TBS title than what I’m assuming. It will be interesting to see how it goes down, live on TBS 8/7c :)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dacap posted:

Even though she’s newer I think I would’ve put the belt on Willow over Velvet. She’s super over right now and capitalizing on that with a big win over Jade would solidify her as a top face. She is filling a role similar to what Kylie Rae probably would have if she had stayed with AEW.

It's looking like they're building Willow for Athena though, so I think if she's getting belted anytime soon it'll be that one.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rantmo posted:

I suppose it's a question of what the story is: Velvet beating Jade tonight is a story about Jade loosing, if Jade looses to a returning Stat or even to Willow (or had lost to Willow several months ago) it would be a story about Stat/Willow winning. It's the same outcome but it has a different protagonist.

I guess this is true, and if Red looks great and wins it could really be a big star making moment tbh

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, the question is if Khan sees Red Velvet as someone who can be a money-drawing star. If he does, then you let her go out there and do it tonight, because it's threading that needle of "this is a plausible outcome for this story" and "this would be a huge surprise and the roof would come off."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no way Velvet's winning, cmon

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Velvet joining the baddies never made any sense to me anyway since Red and Jade were like, huge rivals and Jade just destroyed her every time they fought.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Just lol at the idea of The Jolly Jade Giant ever losing a match

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I like Red a lot but a win tonight would be pretty shocking to me.

The story absolutely makes sense. Jade's been getting more cocky and has slowly pushed away her Baddies. Red finally had enough and ditched Jade. Red was Jade's first win, so they've both grown as wrestlers since then.

But it still feels like it won't happen. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Red has 1 billionth the charisma of Jade