Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That episode owned, yeah. Nice change of pace to see them understating Charlie's gift and having her mostly relying on good old detective work this time.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
just starting the ep and i was really not expecting them to be in cahoots. I was actually kinda expecting Jameela to be the secret killer all along somehow but maybe that was just wishful thinking to keep her around!

fun episode! The young actress didn't have a contingency blackmail plan. seems like if you threaten blackmail to anyone, you should always have some kind of guarantee the blackmail will be released if they try to stop you or avoid demands, right? Doubly so when blackmailing murderers, surely. Also interesting that Charlie did not catch on that the young actress knew about the murder and was happy to ignore it for money.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 11, 2023

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

thought this was the least enjoyable episode so far, the premise sounded great and I was enjoying the first few minutes but drat it felt like it took way longer to get to Charlie than normal, and nothing about Charlie's part of the episode hooked me. although I did really appreciate Charlie mic'ing up the wig in the run up to the end

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Aye Doc posted:

thought this was the least enjoyable episode so far, the premise sounded great and I was enjoying the first few minutes but drat it felt like it took way longer to get to Charlie than normal, and nothing about Charlie's part of the episode hooked me. although I did really appreciate Charlie mic'ing up the wig in the run up to the end

The plot of this one falls apart at the slightest thought, but drat it was enjoyable. Charlie scenes are worth the wait.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

LifeLynx posted:

The plot of this one falls apart at the slightest thought, but drat it was enjoyable. Charlie scenes are worth the wait.

This is the show in a nutshell for me. You could nit pick it to shreds, but gently caress if it isn't fun enough to make that a waste of time.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Do you love them too? Are you a throuple?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Khanstant posted:

just starting the ep and i was really not expecting them to be in cahoots. I was actually kinda expecting Jameela to be the secret killer all along somehow but maybe that was just wishful thinking to keep her around!

fun episode! The young actress didn't have a contingency blackmail plan. seems like if you threaten blackmail to anyone, you should always have some kind of guarantee the blackmail will be released if they try to stop you or avoid demands, right? Doubly so when blackmailing murderers, surely. Also interesting that Charlie did not catch on that the young actress knew about the murder and was happy to ignore it for money.

Charlie did figure out the millennial actress was blackmailing them when she found Tim Meadows' script and pieces it back together with the torn piece containing the demand for $5 mill

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really enjoyed episode 6, loved that Charlie was largely piecing it all together largely without the benefit of her "magic power", coming to (halfway) right conclusions and then setting everything up for the confession. I think part of what made the episode work for me was that they'd gotten away with the murder scott-free and if they'd followed the original plan then they'd have probably gotten away with everything. But they had to get greedy, which kept them in Charlie's orbit, which allowed the younger actress to find the notes in the jacket, which lead to the blackmail attempt, which lead to the second planned murder, which lead to Charlie learning more info and finding out at opportune times that people were lying (or telling the truth) and eventually lead to the "confession".

This is just a really fun show!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i can't get over them plagiarising not just the plot of an episode of their dumb show but the exact loving lines, lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doktor Avalanche posted:

i can't get over them plagiarising not just the plot of an episode of their dumb show but the exact loving lines, lmao

Ahaha I know! "You wrote the script, baby!" and then it turns out she just straight up cribbed it from an episode of their terrible show (Spooky, my God).

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

started watching Columbo because of this show and drat Columbo rules. the biggest difference between the two so far is what Hand Knit said earlier, we really need more time per episode of Poker Face. give me more Charlie and the random folks interacting, roughly 15-20 more minutes per episode. we didn't see Charlie until the 17th minute of the new episode and the credits started rolling at like 46:00, Columbo would also regularly not show up until the 16th, 17th or whatever minute but then we would still be with him for another 50+ minutes. Charlie's so drat good as a character and I want more

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the worst thing about these episodes is that there isn’t enough in them, I would love if they were longer

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
In ep6, I initially interpreted Charlie's face in the final speech as a sign the actress was killing herself, as a kind of "oh poo poo, she isn't lying when she says all this fatalistic stuff" expression. But I mean it could just be about the end of her career I guess. And I don't know how she would have engineered to have those mats removed again. I did like it going straight to the credits after that without telling you anything else.

Also regarding the honour of the racist dog in ep3 I'm pretty sure the last shot of the dog with the radio DJ means that it's actually his and that the dog wasn't racist after all, it just knew his voice. Which would make sense with why the dog was so keen to get off the car right next to the radio station.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Aye Doc posted:

started watching Columbo because of this show and drat Columbo rules. the biggest difference between the two so far is what Hand Knit said earlier, we really need more time per episode of Poker Face. give me more Charlie and the random folks interacting, roughly 15-20 more minutes per episode. we didn't see Charlie until the 17th minute of the new episode and the credits started rolling at like 46:00, Columbo would also regularly not show up until the 16th, 17th or whatever minute but then we would still be with him for another 50+ minutes. Charlie's so drat good as a character and I want more

It would really benefit from some of these mysteries going two episodes. They're instilling a lot of personality in all the side characters, so while idk if they could keep up the quality, there's plenty to work with. It's tricky cause I'm sure bits would over stay their welcome, but would like to see them chew on it more. There's always the finale.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Angepain posted:

Also regarding the honour of the racist dog in ep3 I'm pretty sure the last shot of the dog with the radio DJ means that it's actually his and that the dog wasn't racist after all, it just knew his voice. Which would make sense with why the dog was so keen to get off the car right next to the radio station.

Oh that's absolutely how I read it, Charlie assumed the dog was racist but the dog can't understand what the guy on the radio is saying, he just liked the nice voice!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah definitely agreed on the dog thing. Very cute way to end it

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Angepain posted:

In ep6, I initially interpreted Charlie's face in the final speech as a sign the actress was killing herself, as a kind of "oh poo poo, she isn't lying when she says all this fatalistic stuff" expression. But I mean it could just be about the end of her career I guess. And I don't know how she would have engineered to have those mats removed again. I did like it going straight to the credits after that without telling you anything else.

ha, I thought Charlie was just genuinely moved by the performance even after all that

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
It was the first time that the actress had said something true on stage.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
If you haven't seem columbo yet and you like this I highly recommend it. I'm only on episode 3 but it is a very well written show. I'm sure it doesn't stay this level of quality throughout but if your waiting for the next poker face episode and you need a bit of a fix check it out.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Confusedslight posted:

If you haven't seem columbo yet and you like this I highly recommend it. I'm only on episode 3 but it is a very well written show. I'm sure it doesn't stay this level of quality throughout but if your waiting for the next poker face episode and you need a bit of a fix check it out.

At a certain point you lose Billy Goldberg as composer and the music becomes completely unremarkable but besides that it remains pretty consistent for the most part and a lot of fan favorites are near the end of the show's run. I would typically rank even the lower tier columbos as better than poker face so far honestly (there are some major exceptions though, columbo has some real stinkers)

When I say all of this I am talking about classic columbo, not new columbo which... haha... Oh jeez.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Columbo is great, don't have a bad thing to say about it. However the pacing of it makes it hard for me to focus, and it's an oddly cozy show so even if I put everything aside and try my best to pay attention to one thing I end up getting comfortable and dozing. So while I can see how longer Poker Face eps could be better for it, I appreciate how they manage to pack in these characters and events and then involve Charlie with tighter pacing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Columbo, the show from the 70s?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Columbo, the show from the 70s?

Yup!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm enjoying it so far (on ep 3)

I appreciate how understated her gimmick is, it would be easy to do some overwrought motion blur zoom TRUTH VISION effect

it does seem like she's too quick to trust people with that secret though

and generally too forthcoming with revealing what she knows to the killer but I understand why it has to be done for dramatic purposes

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It woulda been way too easy for Peacock to brand this show as a Columbo reboot and we should applaud them for not doing so.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mellow Seas posted:

It woulda been way too easy for Peacock to brand this show as a Columbo reboot and we should applaud them for not doing so.

Natasha Columbo

IN

MS COLOMBO

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

This is a new take on Brazos. We don’t like to use the word reboot

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

GreenNight posted:

Natasha Columbo

IN

MS COLOMBO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrs._Columbo

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Spielberg directed the first Columbo episode.

I've watched the first 5 episodes of season 1 so far. Leslie Nielson appears in episode 5.

Columbowns.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The guy who did Indiano Jane's 4?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

SpaceAceJase posted:

Spielberg directed the first Columbo episode.

I've watched the first 5 episodes of season 1 so far. Leslie Nielson appears in episode 5.

Columbowns.

I'm up through e5 of season 2 so far and Columbo is The poo poo basically. if Poker Face got canned after a year, at least it would have brought Columbo into the consciousness of a bunch of 35-and-under minds first

but then you remember it's already renewed for a second season!!!! we get more of this joy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Johnny Cash is the best guest star that isn't an actor in any murder mystery show ever, apologies to John Darnielle.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Columbo was on TV constantly when I was growing up in the 90s, I loved it but haven't watched since then. This is definitely more than a little inspired, there were some scenes where Charlie could've been played by Peter Falk and it wouldn't have changed anything.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

Johnny Cash is the best guest star that isn't an actor in any murder mystery show ever, apologies to John Darnielle.

It's a shame that he wasn't interested in playing a Man in Black in an X-Files episode when they approached him about it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The only trope I already hate is the "Charlie obliviously explains the crime and evidence to one of the killers".

I'm hoping its just a sign of how new she is to this craziness, but I'mma lose my mind (up in here) if that never changes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

It's a shame that he wasn't interested in playing a Man in Black in an X-Files episode when they approached him about it.

They told him how the overarching plot goes and he wisely declined

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Columbo was on TV constantly when I was growing up in the 90s, I loved it but haven't watched since then. This is definitely more than a little inspired, there were some scenes where Charlie could've been played by Peter Falk and it wouldn't have changed anything.

its definitely, explicitly, a spiritual successor. it even uses the same title font! (or close enough)

Narcissus1916 posted:

The only trope I already hate is the "Charlie obliviously explains the crime and evidence to one of the killers".

I'm hoping its just a sign of how new she is to this craziness, but I'mma lose my mind (up in here) if that never changes

Columbo does this too though, every episode he would go bother the killer with his theories and then when they try to throw him off the trail he'd just say "you know what, thats probably it... thank you for your time...."

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Snooze Cruise posted:

Don't forget the Monk episode where they try to pin the murder on IRL Willie Nelson.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Narcissus1916 posted:

there's a bit of that in the Knives Out duology too, granted it's in that Clue "everybody gather in the atrium for the big reveal" way as opposed to the "I'm going to reveal that I know you're the killer while we're alone together" way

my other main complaint was the lack of resolution convo in ep 2 between Charlie and the other non murderer characters since it just kinda ends

mostly because 90s traveling-problem-solver TV shows usually had them at the end of the episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

mobby_6kl posted:

Columbo as a waitress