Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Oh wow this show is incredible, just finished E01 and E02, didn't realise four dropped at once, can't wait to watch the rest, really hope this show does well.

I love the extended run times and the throwback to episode of the week TV. The format really lets the characters and stories breathe and its all filmed so beautifully and with great character actors I could watch this forever. I could do without the serialised aspect at all, I presume at some point she becomes a full time PI, randomly running into murders seems like it would quickly get old.

Smallest of griped for E01/E02: Some of the clues are a bit too heavy-handed. I'm thinking the thing with the gun and the metal detector would have been better if the camera didn't focus on both the gun being taken away and the metal detector for so long, and similarly the scratch-card serial number bit was way over explained, I'd prefer a bit cleverer solutions.

But overall I love this show. I enjoyed the Knives Out films but this is by far my favourite thing from him, much prefer the smaller more realistic slice of life scale to this than Knives Out's campy larger than life-ness. After that and this I'm craving some good classic detective stuff and I've never seen anything, any suggestions? I know Colombo is the main influence and the first one I'll check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

RHEA Perlman

I guess we are getting a bit of a Cheers re--union with Ratzenberger in Ep 2. He was great in his part, I wouldn't have recognised him these days if not for the voice.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I got half way through ep 3, loving the running gag of presumably increasingly showing why this dog was a piece of poo poo and not to feel bad for it being bludgeoned to death.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

What bugged me about that sequence in particular was that [spoiler]Charlie raced up there after them, presumably to make sure they really grasped how much she had hosed them over to make them pay for what they did to her friend, which was just continuing to put her more in harm's way.

I think she should have clarified when she emailed all the players about the cheating, she also added in the emails, "btw if I disappear its because he killed me for leaking this". That's all it would have took for it to make sense why she was so confident.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Also, from his Wiki entry, lol at the fact that that actor was the third-highest paid TV actor in 2018. It really is crazy how popular Big Bang Theory got.

Must be pretty awesome to make that sitcom money for so long and then just be able to drop into semi-anonymous roles doing whatever you want rather than being typecast like Leonard and Sheldon.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I'm a few episodes into Columbo too, tempted to just find a best of list and skip through to the best episodes and also check out the more recent ones just out of curiosity. A few episodes have been great (the Spielberg one), but a couple have been real stinkers like this Leslie Nielson episode, seems like a show that can vary wildy with the amount of talent in a given episode.

I know there were two pilots first, but one part thats great is how spot on Columbo's personality is right from day one. Only takes one episode to get his whole vibe. I love how it seems there's a running thing where you are never really sure what is real about his personality. Is he actually quirky/bumbling a bit in his real life, or is his small talk 100% fake and he actually spots the murderer first thing each time and hates these people?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

There is one very important cast member you have yet to meet, though sadly they are not in every episode.

Doing a thing where you skip to the best episodes but also check out the recent ones is unhinged, because woof some of those new eps are just miserable.

Really I just recommend watching all of them, there are only 69 and people have very different opinions on what a best of list would be. There might be value in skipping like Last Salute to Commodore and the one in england because people tend to call those two the worst of the classics (though I like the england one honestly, its just hammy and fun)

Fair enough I'll just watch in order and make it last! I'm interested in seeing some of the knew stuff even if they ruin it, its always interesting seeing how a show develops over time, and believe me I've stuck with some bad stuff, I recently watched Kung Fu, and then some of the 90's spin-off Kung Fu: The Legend Continues which has the insane premise of David Carradine now playing his own characters grandson set in the present day, so I'm ready for some bad quality entertainment.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

There is one very important cast member you have yet to meet, though sadly they are not in every episode.

I'm predicting the dog, based on my only knowledge of the columbo statue in Budapest having a dog next to it.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Holy poo poo the amount of plot and the way everything was wrapped up in this episode was masterful. I even did fall for Charlie’s death at the end and I was thinking wtf is this the end of the show? Series finale with the vegas guys finding out what Gordon levitt did or something.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone know who that Dont think twice its alright cover is by?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks, I’ve heard loads of versions but that’s such a good cover, the score underneath really adds something to it, it’s got Jim Croce vibes.

Been listening to that Blues Traveller song on repeat since too, and agreed it’s awesome except the whole whitest rap ever bit.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
That penis ring prop really didn’t look like it would be hard to take off or hard enough to do that to an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah finding the chips felt like overkill, she should have just figured it out.