Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Honestly, Charlie's power is weird. It doesn't seem to pick up on a general sense of deception but rather on the exact wording of a statement. This makes me wonder how she used that in poker. Silently raising the bet isn't really a lie. Did she contiuously ask "Do you have the flush? Do you?" Until they gave her a binary answer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

What makes you think this? The show has always given me the impression it’s the former.

The fact that this guy said "that guy sabotaged my car," to make her chase after the other one. Technically, there wasn't a lie here but "I know he did it and chose not to fix it in an effort to kill his daughter," is a quite big ommision, which sort of changes the context.

Also, the adultering wife of the steak guy managed to mostly hide that she was in on it, when they were talking about how his brother killed him.

Actually, it's a consistent trend. The retired child UN bombers managed to sway her on their side, by ommiting that part when they explained how they were arrested. Telling a sob story about how the police violently captured you without that context comes across a bit deceitful.

As far as I can tell, she has a weird little genie in her head, which tells her true or false by the exact phrasing of the reply.

The point is, I don't see her picking up lies of ommision, which would make poker kind of tough, unless everyone is a blabbermouth boasting about their cards. If, at the end of the game, I have a garbage hand, but say "All in!" is that a lie?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 17, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The ending where technically he gets away with everything and is rewarded but you know he's completely hosed and so does he was also very well-handled.

I guess the stakes were slightly lower, since it was only attempted murder. and framing a guy who technically did try to attempt murder.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Also wondering what they're going to do with her being innocently, but indirectly responsible for a handful of the deaths. The BBQ guy got off'ed because she gave him the dvd, the musician got off'd because she talked the band into spending time with him where they heard his song, Nick Nolte only rented out that footage because she inspired him to confront his past...

The final episode will reveal that she as the narrator of the story was the liar all along.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

Why would she? None of the CEOs I’ve worked with have had top access to jack poo poo, because they’re morons and/or arseholes. Hell, I fondly remember the time one even started giving me their personal banking password because they couldn’t get it to work.

Counterpoint: the murdered guy reused his compromised passwords, so he was stupid too. Then again, the first episode establishes that Charly's phone and bank pin is 1234, so she would have no room to judge.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

What about Russian Doll, is that worth a watch?

The first season was great. The second was serviceable by some measurements for some people, I guess.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I really liked Cliff as a character. You could see in his face, how deliberately he kept choosing his words to not lie. And he was honestly quite smart about it.
Actually, was there even an instance of her bullshit detection in this episode? I can't recall one.

Also, gently caress his boss. After all of this bullshit he should at the very least let him kill her.

Great season of a show! Will probably be high on my 2023 chart.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

withak posted:

I hope they find a way to get Cliff back as the one-eyed villain.

gently caress it, let Hasp bust him out of prison and reinstate him in that role.
While I am fantasizing, I want Rhea Perlman's husband make an appearance in season 2.