Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Episode four sold me on the show. It's a loving hoot.

I am so happy and willing to overlook some contrivances for John Darnielle getting to play a remorseful guitarist, John Hodgeman as a narc who's actually just an actuary bad at buying drugs, and that twist at the end of the song being a rip off of an 80s sitcom...

Could nit pick plenty, but each episode has enough nuggets like those that just make me smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Fifth episode continues the streak of this just being a fun as hell watch. Love how quickly the side characters get fleshed out and how they get mixed in.

Almost wish they would drop the murder conceit and embrace less lethal crimes Charlie has to solve. Kind of did that with the first episode, but right now it's a little ominous how much of a bad omen she is.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It'd be interesting to see this show with each case split over two episodes. The brevity is definitely to the shows benefit, and I don't think many scenes have shown a real desire to do some Twin Peaks-esque just sitting in the scene.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Shabadu posted:

Haven't seen 5 yet, but 4 will probably stay my favorite just for John Darnielle going ham on Mountain Goat-rear end demos in the van.

When I was watching, my initial reaction was "oh cool, they paid out to get some Mountain Goats on their soundtrack". Then the camera panned to him sitting there jamming :3:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

He's very good in the film Annette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ibMti7mPhw

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

LifeLynx posted:

The plot of this one falls apart at the slightest thought, but drat it was enjoyable. Charlie scenes are worth the wait.

This is the show in a nutshell for me. You could nit pick it to shreds, but gently caress if it isn't fun enough to make that a waste of time.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Aye Doc posted:

started watching Columbo because of this show and drat Columbo rules. the biggest difference between the two so far is what Hand Knit said earlier, we really need more time per episode of Poker Face. give me more Charlie and the random folks interacting, roughly 15-20 more minutes per episode. we didn't see Charlie until the 17th minute of the new episode and the credits started rolling at like 46:00, Columbo would also regularly not show up until the 16th, 17th or whatever minute but then we would still be with him for another 50+ minutes. Charlie's so drat good as a character and I want more

It would really benefit from some of these mysteries going two episodes. They're instilling a lot of personality in all the side characters, so while idk if they could keep up the quality, there's plenty to work with. It's tricky cause I'm sure bits would over stay their welcome, but would like to see them chew on it more. There's always the finale.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Columbo, the show from the 70s?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's that over-the-top bronx accent.

Four episodes into Columbo, it's great. I wish they had slightly bigger casts, ala' The A-Team, as 2/3 of each episode appear to be Columbo just chewing the murderer out until they slip up. Maybe that'll happen as the show goes on.

Did blow my mind when an episode ended and "DIRECTED BY STEVEN SPIELBERG" popped up. Good job kiddo.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Do later episodes of Columbo mess with the formula at all? I'm a little surprised how basically every ep has him find the killer basically immediately. Curious if they do an ep where he narrows in on the wrong person for 2/3 of it before finding the right person.

Also lol that Columbo is in the thread title.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Only halfway through, but the restrained number of characters and quick murder convince me that this show could totally pull off two hour eps. The convos between Charlie and Arthur are great stuff.

Everyone gasping at benign footage of a woman turning off a light bulb is silly but I'm here for it.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 23, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh, it didn't bother me. I just found it kinda funny, as it came out of nowhere and was zoomed in on the light bulb and not like the tank. Episode was great.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I was hoping every scene with it was just actually him sitting in boxes/cut out tables being very still.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Also wondering what they're going to do with her being innocently, but indirectly responsible for a handful of the deaths. The BBQ guy got off'ed because she gave him the dvd, the musician got off'd because she talked the band into spending time with him where they heard his song, Nick Nolte only rented out that footage because she inspired him to confront his past...

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Khanstant posted:

The BBQ got offed because his brother killed him and all the other people also died because someone killed them. If she's considered responsible there then Bong Joon-Ho and Netflix are too.

Well like I said, she's not *morally* responsible, there's bigger things at play in each case, but she set in direct motion the immediate thing that led to those people dying. You're not wrong, but it's also happening enough that I can' t help but wonder what they'll do with it, if anything.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

socketwrencher posted:

Really wish there wasn't a superpower.

I think it helps a couple things. Her character is shown to be intuitive, but not book smart. Charlie also veers on the trusting side of strangers, generally seeing the good in others. The super power is what let's those two things be true, while letting her 'detect' when foul play is afoot, and gives her the motivation to seek justice instead of cutting her loses and running off.

They've handled it cleverly enough so far, so I'm all for it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That was brilliant. This show rules.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wonder if the season finale will see the FBI guy return. Wouldn't be that hard to trace back a handful of these solved murders to Charlie, particularly given her name was in the news following this episode.

Hoping they preserve her working outside of the law following this season. Fun to see a murder mystery show that has to come up with a cosmic justice that isn't just the perp being id'd and walked away in cuffs.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Argue posted:

Great ep but god please stop killing the good characters

This would be a problem if they didn't keep introducing great new ones in their place. This show is nailing interesting side characters, which makes me happy as a clam. The klepto girl from this episode was such a delight.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The character trait of reciting Blues Traveler lyrics is so loving good.

Annabel Pee posted:

Anyone know who that Dont think twice its alright cover is by?

Burt Ives

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Specifically, it's the bridge segment of the song "The Hook", which is up there with Bare Naked Ladies for whittest rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdz5kCaCRFM

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Honestly it's not that bad, but every grocery store legally has to play it once a day, so it's a case of overexposure.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

it still seemed dumb to me for her to get on the boat with him since she knew how ruthless he was

I think this tracks with her character and part of why they have the bullshit-superpower - she's inherently really trusting of other people. And at that point she still reckons he's also in the same boat (heh) as her – someone who's outside the law, and the one person who, she assumes, knows she wouldn't have the will to pull the trigger.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It is worth re-watching the first episode if you haven't, as it really hits you how well developed they kick things off with Charlie. Just a bunch of brilliant lines, like Adrian Brody trying to lure her in with money only to be met by "been rich, it's less work than being poor, but more work than just getting by".

No point in ranking, this is maybe the most (seemingly) effortlessly confident show I've seen since Reservation Dogs.

Third episode was what clenched that this was something special to me, with a really unique and fun mystery box setup.
Fourth episode had the scene that starts with "oh cool they licensed out a Mountain Goats song, neat" only for the camera to pan to John Darnielle. Who then goes onto to write remorseful murder ballads later in the episode.
Fifth is just a blast, also

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1621204523959357441

Seventh you has a brilliant "not every crime is punished with jail time" ending
Eighth had Nolte, what a gift
Ninth is a nail biting thriller, using our omnisicent knowledge against us, and has consequences at the end! Also, from JGL:

quote:

He explained his approach to portraying Trey, "What are the circumstances that led them to be making these bad choices... with this character, I didn't feel as obligated to find the complexity. In fact, I thought it would be fun to lean into playing a really bad person who just sucked."

...and tenth subverts the shows premise only to bring it back. And has the best comedy cold open.

Just great. 10/10. Best show of the year, probably.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 12, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

How in the hell did they not have the drat Hook song in the episode

The rap section is recited in its entirety by Cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Rewatching this over the weekend and dang. Second season can't come soon enough.