Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

My only complaint about the new episode is that TBN was not in enough of it.

I watched this whole show over the last week and I really, really love it. Charlie is essentially just a superhero with two very specific powers: ability to spot bullshit and meet people right before they get murdered in very clever ways.

I will agree with the opinion ITT that the episodes are too short though. It always gets to the climax before I even realize it. They pull so much from Columbo except for giving each episode time to breathe. You don’t really get the cat-and-mouse game. Charlie realizes what’s going on and just streamlines it right to the end. Fits with her character though since she isn’t actually a cop trying to collect enough evidence to persecute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Honestly with all the poo poo and intimidation he kept pulling, especially at their house, I would've tried to kill him too. But maybe I just innately root for Tim Blake Nelson.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Yeah the very episode of the Columbus TV was directed by Spielberg which blew my mind. The whole time I was watching it I kept thinking “wow this is so cinematic and beautifully shot” so it made sense to see his name there, but still a surprise. He was only 24 years old! A loving prodigy. To put it in perspective, Rian Johnson was 31 when he directed Brick.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Columbo's vibe seems genuine because he interacts with people besides the killer and doesn't change personality. The disheveledness is probably played up a bit and he certainly hides the depths of his intelligence from suspects. But I always get the impression that he's using his own personality to his advantage instead of putting up a front.

One thing that really differentiates Poker Face from Columbo is that she cannot really keep info to herself or hide her opinions. The title is ironic because Charlie has no poker face at all. Columbo only shows his hand bit by bit as he builds a case whereas Charlie can't wait to confront the murderer or their friends the moment she figures it out.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Jethro posted:

Yeah, I was definitely feeling oh, I totally sympathize with the killer here during the first act, then no, I guess the victim isn't totally evil, he just goes a little far sometimes, and then no, he really is a loving prick, I can't wait for Charlie to deliver some karma

It's a very clever bit of storytelling how it shifts your sympathies as it subverts the usual formula.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I absolutely adored the ending where we see the guilt overwhelm Laura and the editing and filmic effects go full tilt. Extremely Hitchcockian in all the best ways.

This was maybe my favorite episode of the show so far. I could listen to Natasha Lyonne and Nick Nolte have a raspy voice contest for hours.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

It's actually Ash Ketchum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Poker Face: Drinking and Driving is actually very cool.