Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

my neighbours cat shits in my front garden all the time so i scoop it up when it gets too smelly. i dont mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

I'm a dog guy who sometimes thinks it'd be nice to have a cat. Maybe my daughter will want one some day.

I guess you could say I'm cat-curious :blush:

We have three dogs and got our first cat a month or so ago. He’s a little annoying sometimes but otherwise he’s a pretty cool cat. He’s very affectionate and he’s been hunting the mice that decided our house was a good place to stay the winter.

As far as litter box pickup we have one of those automatic ones with the crystal litter.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I scoop both boxes (one upstairs, one downstairs) every morning after breakfast. I also hose down the insides of each box every two weeks before completely changing the litter. I'm not sure if the latter really does much but it's either that, the prescription food, or both that has stopped our cat from peeing on the floor so I'm disinclined to stop doing either.

We have to keep cheap garden trowels next to each box though so we can bury her toxic nightmare dumps if she decides she would rather run away from them than bury them herself. I guess if I poo poo like that and couldn't flush it I'd want to run away from it too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MrQwerty posted:

my cat shits on the floor directly next to the box if there is too little or too much poop in her box, it is a balancing act of street kitten from the hood preferences

she's still gotta get spayed and hasn't had her first heat yet, so hopefully some of her weirder poo poo chills out a bit

I am a dog person but I like this cat a lot, first one ever tbqh

Make sure the vet runs an FIV test before getting her fixed. Also stay on top of her teeth. Street cats tend to be more prone to dental diseases because their genetics are often a mess.

So glad my Beans is a boy. One of my last two cats went through heat once before being spayed (she didn't have FIV). I don't think I got 2 consecutive hours of sleep that week.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I miss having a kitty, I've been thinking about getting a shelter cat when the guinea pigs pass.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Make sure the vet runs an FIV test before getting her fixed. Also stay on top of her teeth. Street cats tend to be more prone to dental diseases because their genetics are often a mess.

yeah idk what she is and we wanna get a genetic test, but she presents as a near-breed-perfect Bombay with a white spot on her belly. Gonna get an FIV test before she gets spayed for sure, it's coming up pretty soon. She was a real tiny kitten when we pulled her in from the bush outside our gate, and my brother has a guitar teacher in our neighborhood and he said there were a million kittens that look exactly like her that just appeared about 2 weeks before we found her. I live in a very, very, very hood part of town full of irresponsible pet owners and breeders, so who knows.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I had a bombay-ish as my first cat. He was pretty chill. All black, yellow eyes, fat as the day is long, but not very people friendly. Miss that tub of lard.

Good on ya for grabbing a street cat. They need homes, too.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'm OK with a big lazy old cat who just wants to sleep in the bed all day

I don't want to have to train a kitten again

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Here's the deal;
Cats suck rear end and nerds just apologize for them

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You'll scream "No"like an idiot bitch but you'll be wrong like usual.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Treecko posted:

I'm OK with a big lazy old cat who just wants to sleep in the bed all day

I don't want to have to train a kitten again

Bed, hell.

My cat took over the memory foam bag chair.

Which is good because I was going to throw it away, so at least it's getting use.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I was never a cat guy either but the little fella ended up tuggin at the ol’ heart strings

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I had a bombay-ish as my first cat. He was pretty chill. All black, yellow eyes, fat as the day is long, but not very people friendly. Miss that tub of lard.

Good on ya for grabbing a street cat. They need homes, too.

she's super friendly, super skinny, super long and super tiny, we're guessing because of the bad start + she's probably a runt cuz her sibling that wanted nothing to do with us was also a small kitten but twice her size.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Well yeah everyone knows chihuahuas don't like cats

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I have an automatic litterbox, but I have to keep it in a kiddy pool with a puppy pad under it because every other time my cat uses the box, she hangs her rear end over the edge and pees or craps right next to the box instead of in it. Weirdly, this has gotten better (but not enough better to forego the kiddy pool) since her leg was amputated for cancer.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MrQwerty posted:

she's super friendly, super skinny, super long and super tiny, we're guessing because of the bad start + she's probably a runt cuz her sibling that wanted nothing to do with us was also a small kitten but twice her size.

Mine was a few years old when I (well, me and the exwife) got him. The shelter couldn't tell us how old besides "somewhere between 2 and 8, probably." He went from 12lbs to 20lbs in about 3 years because he was so lazy and only ate dry food. He did not like wet food for some reason.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
My cat did a poo poo that smelled like burning tyres all over the back of her legs and ran out the house and came back 2hrs later looking like she'd sat on a Snickers bar.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Mine was a few years old when I (well, me and the exwife) got him. The shelter couldn't tell us how old besides "somewhere between 2 and 8, probably." He went from 12lbs to 20lbs in about 3 years because he was so lazy and only ate dry food. He did not like wet food for some reason.

the vet estimated her at 16 weeks when we got her first round of shots at the beginning of November; by the time her third round came up at the end of December she spat out a tooth on my desk the day before, then the vet said "welp she's got all her adult teeth so we were off by... some weeks."

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Sounds like you need a different vet tbh

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Treecko posted:

Sounds like you need a different vet tbh

tbf those were shot clinics, we don't have an actual vet because there are no vets taking new animals here, period, and haven't been for 2 years unless you totally luck out randomly.

Probably gotta go to loving Moriarty or something to get a vet and lol driving an hour and a half into the mountains.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 27, 2023

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MrQwerty posted:

the vet estimated her at 16 weeks when we got her first round of shots at the beginning of November; by the time her third round came up at the end of December she spat out a tooth on my desk the day before, then the vet said "welp she's got all her adult teeth so we were off by... some weeks."

At least you have a good idea on her age. My fat old boy, it was just too hard to tell.

I only roughly know Beans' age because he was still in those last stages of kittendom when I got him, between 4 and 6 months or so. He was probably 7lbs, hadn't quite reached his full length, but had his adult teeth. Now he's 12lbs and has a serious catnip habit. He just straight up eats it, then moseys to the chair for some lap time.

Hoochy koochy kitten catnip is a pretty good deal, btw. $10 for a half pound bag on amazon. It's fine cut, so he's not making GBS threads out twigs the next morning.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Teach your cat to use the toilet that's why they always watch you poop

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Hoochy koochy kitten catnip is a pretty good deal, btw. $10 for a half pound bag on amazon. It's fine cut, so he's not making GBS threads out twigs the next morning.

my buddies wife grows catnip and we got a hook on as much as we want this year :coal:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Maybe get a pet fountain. Cats get most of thier hydration from prey.

My last cat lived to 21, it was older than I was at the time

RIP Butterscotch

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I have a disused pizza oven in the basement and I use that as a litter bin. Once a week I turn it on and cremate the litter until it’s ash which also works fantastically as kitty litter.

#LyfeHax

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I have a water fountain thing. My dog refuses to use it, but Beans likes it, so it's next to his food on the table (dog will steal his food otherwise).

Treecko posted:

Never fails that when I go to take a poo poo, Beans always comes in to watch. He hears the lid go up and my pants drop down, and he's like, "time to headbutt that shoulder for the next 5 minutes from the sink."

I tried toilet training my second cat. I wound up with a wet cat that was afraid of the toilet afterwards.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Treecko posted:

You can actually do this, but it's a very long and horrible process. It's best if you have 2 bathrooms to start, one just dedicated to the cat.

The way it goes is that you get a pan or bowl of some sort that will sit in your toilet bowl, fill out with litter at first and slowly introduce your cat to the idea of hopping up on the toilet to use it.

There's a whole big process of teaching it to stand on the seat, etc. And it's not gonna be accurate 100% of the time.

Afterwards, though, just leave the lid open and cat will use the potty. You still have to flush it, I've never heard of a cat that can flush.

I sincerely considered teaching my kitten this as a youth, but uh. Nah. The process is insane people things.

Cats are nice. People who don't like them are freaks. I'm not saying this because I'm secretly just a cat named Richard, I would never go on the internet and just lie.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The cat refuses to praise God, so I sent it to Catholic camp. I pray he sees the error in his ways

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's only gonna learn dogma from the catholics.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Treecko posted:

Maybe get a pet fountain. Cats get most of thier hydration from prey.

Sekhmet all about her saguaro water fountain

DicktheCat posted:

You can actually do this, but it's a very long and horrible process. It's best if you have 2 bathrooms to start, one just dedicated to the cat.

The way it goes is that you get a pan or bowl of some sort that will sit in your toilet bowl, fill out with litter at first and slowly introduce your cat to the idea of hopping up on the toilet to use it.

There's a whole big process of teaching it to stand on the seat, etc. And it's not gonna be accurate 100% of the time.

Afterwards, though, just leave the lid open and cat will use the potty. You still have to flush it, I've never heard of a cat that can flush.

I sincerely considered teaching my kitten this as a youth, but uh. Nah. The process is insane people things.

Water treatment plants can't treat toxo don't let your cats poo poo in the toilet or flush cat poo poo

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

The better question is when DONT i scoop my cats poo poo? Motherfucker is a poo poo machine that cant be stopped

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Whenever my dog is hungry

Two words: kitty roca

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Right after they poo poo. I don't like that poo poo to linger.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I clean my cats litterboxes every morning OP, more than two days w/o cleaning and they piss on the floor

also lol of course BBC is That Dog Guy

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
We do it every evening and we have 2 of those rollerboxes. They leak litter like hell so we keep them outside in a fenced in (but door open) kennel area, but as a setup it actually works pretty well. Those litter genie bags are expensive though. The toxo tells me to do these things.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Cats can open doors they can absolutely flush

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Treecko posted:

Cats can open doors they can absolutely flush

My cat cant do anything and is a princess and i carry him to and from the litterbox like royalty and you better belive hes getting treats

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Even putting cat poo poo in a bag and tossing it still gets the toxoplasmosis in the water table eventually

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

Here's the deal;
Cats suck rear end and nerds just apologize for them

Big Beef City posted:

You'll scream "No"like an idiot bitch but you'll be wrong like usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
If you get a dog they clean the litter box for you